• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mix

Combat Evolved is the best halo book in the world.

Who the hell are you?

Are you trying to be funny? Because you're not. If anything, you just look ignorant and childish. I'm so tired of looking at your 12 posts per page. Stop posting because you can. I RARELY post when I don't have something to add to a current conversation. Please for the love of god just stop being so damn obnoxious.

nillapuddin

Ghosts of Onyx is the best Halo book imo. Nylund is missed.

7d6.jpg

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Who the hell are you?

Are you trying to be funny? Because you're not. If anything, you just look ignorant and childish. I'm so tired of looking at your 12 posts per page. Stop posting because you can. I RARELY post when I don't have something to add to a current conversation. Please for the love of god just stop being so damn obnoxious.

Second.

m23

Yup. Now I want the games to show sentinels doing their crazy transforming acts like they did in that book.

Yeah, sentinels were so awesome in that book. Such a missed opportunity in the newer games. Hopefully they have a bigger role in the new series.

Who the hell are you?

iG4P2XvbI8dCh.gif

Chettlar

Banned
Who the hell are you?

Overreacting much? I'm sorry, I have to deal with really dumb posts myself all the time, and I just kind of ignore them for the most part. It's not difficult. Maybe lighten up just a little?

On the other hand, sorry. I'm new. I'm pretty sure it'll wear off because it always does. I love Halo, and I'd love to discuss it, but there's so little information to go off of, discussion often regresses to nothing more than some mindless, silly posts. It's not as if I'm the only one.

You're right, that last post was out of taste and it probably would have been best to keep my mouth shut, but it wasn't aggressive and I really think you might have handled it better.

I'm new and I'm eager to talk about Halo and things, so that's why I post so much. I'm passionate about halo and just excited at finally getting a NeoGAF account. It's not unusual or anything to get annoyed at, since NeoGAF often has bunches of juniors that act the same...or, quite honestly, often worse. I'm surprised you haven't gotten used to it by now, since so many juniors get banned on GAF before they ever get past the immature posting stage at all. I'm trying to work at it, but you can perhaps give a little grace here? Several of the other posters have humored me a bit on my "annoying" posts, so it's not like everybody thinks I'm horribly annoying. (Though if I am, don't pretend I'm not being annoying, please).

Thanks for the post, though, I guess.

EDIT: Ugh, another semimegapost. I'm working on it. :/

What threw me off with Travis was going straight from Ghosts of Onyx to her books. The style change was jarring, as were the internal monologues.

I can agree with this. Though it was a bit expected with how often other Halo books switched up authors (Nylund, Staten, Dietz, Buckell, and Evolutions' long list of authors). A big part of that, I think, was that she is writing three, Bear wrote three, and together they have collectively written half of the Halo fiction when they represent just a small portion of the total amount of Halo authors we have had.

I do wonder if Nylund could honestly be brought back. He did make it back for that darn good Admiral Cole story in Evolutions, but I don't know if he would be willing to come back for a full length book. He obviously was comfortable with writing Spartan-IIs so maybe a return of Fred/Linda/Kelly could be in the cards.

Anybody know how well his solo books have been doing? Like everything he created himself?

Predator Handshake

I can't be the only one to try this with friends sometimes, right? People try to replicate this all the time?

Madness

I have only read her Republic Commando novels but I really enjoyed all of them. She gave a more military-esque focus to the Clone Wars, which was sorely needed in comparison to most other Clone Wars era books.

The only "Jedi Bashing" that she participated in was pointing out the hypocracy that should have been front and center. The Jedi try to be 100% morally awesome, yet are abducting children at a young age to be indoctrinated into their religion? The Jedi claim to be peace-seekers yet are constantly waging war and fighting battles?

I say this as a huge Star Wars fan that the only truly wrong thing she did with her Republic Commando books was trying to nail down the Three million clones number presented in AOTC. It was such a headache reading through those parts of the stories.

Her Gears of War books are okay. Nothing great, but certainly not bad. She tends to personalize the characters(namely Marcus, Dom, Baird, and Cole) in ways that do not seem consistent with the games, but overall I have no qualms with her there.

Even with her Halo books I really cannot argue much. I dislike how she pushed Fred and co to the back burner in Glasslands, but I understand. I wish she would include older Spartans and more established characters in her books but her new characters are okay. She isn't Nylund, but she catches a lot more flak than she should.

Do people actually think this when watching Star Wars or reading the books? Just curious no offense meant.

Chettlar

Banned

I know this is supposed to be cool n all, but all I'm thinking watching it is "But....he's wasting the chocolate!"

Sorry, I just really love chocolate. Don't mind me.

Do people actually think this when watching Star Wars or reading the books? Just curious no offense meant.

Crossed my mind, actually, but idk it's kind of expected? If there's a super popular franchise, you can always be sure there are going to be people who take issue with/get super curious about certain minute things like that.

Damn.

Here in Tasmania it is actually thunderstorming today. We've been largely unaffected by this heatwave (I think it was Monday or Tuesday that was really hot... every other day has been meh)

It's been this way all week for us in Melb, at night even with the AC on full it has been 30C all night. Wake up at 6.30AM and it's already 30C, crazy and not comfortable. Also I'm visiting you down there if this doesn't cool down tomorrow as expected.

My 360 slim playing Halo 4 a couple of those nights has been pumping out very hot air but it's good to have the X1 fairly cool and neither giving up any heat issues or crashes.

Hey, what's going on in this threa...oh.

Whatchya working on today? :)

"But....he's wasting damn fine luxury Swiss chocolate!"

Omni

We'd all just get along if you gave us a trailer or something!
It's been this way all week for us in Melb, at night even with the AC on full it has been 30C all night. Wake up at 6.30AM and it's already 30C, crazy and not comfortable. Also I'm visiting you down there if this doesn't cool down tomorrow as expected.

My 360 slim playing Halo 4 a couple of those nights has been pumping out very hot air but it's good to have the X1 fairly cool and neither giving up any heat issues or crashes.
Wow. Sounds horrible. I've read about lots of animals dying because of dehydration which is depressing

Fuchsdh

yRpOcvO.png

OT as fuck but thought I'd distract from the fighting...

107F+(42C+) here in Melbourne today, it was 44.5C yesterday. Check out this world wind map (we are hell on Earth at the moment):
kCw5hmK.jpg

Who wants to see a Lindt chocolate melt inside of 3 minutes?

As for Halo books give me Nylund every book every time, too bad he now works for Amazon Game Studios.

You're going to have to translate that into ºF for us 'mericans.

I think your preference for Halo authors sort of depends on what blend of high sci-fi, techno sci-fi and pure character-based stories you prefer. To me Nylund's character work left me a bit cold (his portrayal of the Chief is largely inconsistent with everything we saw afterwards), and I just wasn't as interested in the long techno-passages, which I think worked better in moderation (such as "The Impossible Life" from Halo evolutions.)

At least can we all agree that The Cole Protocol is the most unnecessary Halo novel?

Think about this: what's stopping Staten from penning another Halo tale now that he's back at Microsoft?

Chettlar

Banned

My 360 slim has been starting to make a little more noise lately. Nothing specific; it's just louder than it was when I got it. It's usually pretty cold where I am this time of year.

Been meaning to ask this for a while but keep forgetting, should I be worried at all?

Wow. Sounds horrible. I've read about lots of animals dying because of dehydration which is depressing

There has been some tear jerking stuff like bats and possums dying by the hundreds. There was a AusGAF OT thread post a guy tried to save a bat that fell from the sky when flying and broke one of its wings. It died before he got it to shade and water. :(

You're going to have to translate that into ºF for us 'mericans.

I think your preference for Halo authors sort of depends on what blend of high sci-fi, techno sci-fi and pure character-based stories you prefer. To me Nylund's character work left me a bit cold (his portrayal of the Chief is largely inconsistent with everything we saw afterwards), and I just wasn't as interested in the long techno-passages, which I think worked better in moderation (such as "The Impossible Life" from Halo evolutions.)

At least can we all agree that The Cole Protocol is the most unnecessary Halo novel?

Think about this: what's stopping Staten from penning another Halo tale now that he's back at Microsoft?

Already in that post mate, 107F today and was 112.1F (44.5C) at my house yesterday.

I think for the books I just love the no frills approach Nylund has and what he weaves about the back story of John and the Spartan/Halsey. When I read Bear I find myself concentrating to read rather than just losing the actual act of reading like I do with Nylund. Bear's first two books were a chore for me and the 3rd (Silentium) I loved. I don't enjoy Traviss's style of character based writing, tried Glasslands for the lead on from Ghosts of Onyx, which I just speed read with no attention to detail, but was left with no will to want to read her first book in the trilogy. If I read Mortal Dictata it will be for the content post Halo 4, not the author.

I feel like Staten is a puppet master now, he'll have his hand in Halo but they've come out saying no just MS only to avoid false hype/hopes of Halo fans. Multi franchise hands on man should be his title now.

My 360 slim has been starting to make a little more noise lately. Nothing specific; it's just louder than it was when I got it. It's usually pretty cold where I am this time of year.

Been meaning to ask this for a while but keep forgetting, should I be worried at all?

Fans get dirty and need a clean, that or your DVD drive is on its way out.

Heat waves? Ew. I can't stand heat. We had 50mph winds today bringing the windchill down to -35F. Which actually wasn't that bad because just last week it was -30F without windchill for three days straight. That was fun.

I showed Star Wars to my girlfriend for the first time last fall and she brought up both things pretty quickly. She asked what would happen if a family refused to let the Jedi abduct their child (her words) and I just kind of shrugged it off. She also asked why the Jedi were always getting into fights in all the movies and were at the center of a huge war in the 2nd/3rd films but always tried to come off as serene and wise in non-fighting ways.

I've had friends/family bring up the kids thing as well when watching it. Mostly it's just some single person bringing it up and then a bunch of others going "Oh wow that is cold" and so on, but eh.

Cole Protocol gave us the deets on the mysterious Gray Team mentioned in Fall of Reach. That was enough for me.

Detailing a Keyes adventure and some magical co-op between Jackals and Humans was a bit over the top for me though. The book is certainly my least favorite from a story standpoint but I enjoyed how Buckell wrote it.

Staten should write another one if he could figure out the time. His writing was pretty fun to read, even if the story seemed a bit lackluster.
EDIT:
Hell yeah, when I havent seen a buddy in a long time, we will go for that, or a Roman Handshake (not a filthy urban dictionary term)

Oh yeah, and I laughed hard at this. I have no idea what that is and would have just shrugged it off but the explanation/defense was what made it. Nice.

IHaveIce

Banned
Not at all. I'm not saying she's untouchable. She should be criticised like any other author, but she isn't being criticised fairly.
In your opinion. I think her writing style is dry and uninteresting, every character behaves like an asshole in her books (not even only in the halo books, in all of her stuff I read)
What leads to many characters seem to be out of character.
I liked the glasslands part with Lucy and the Huragoks, shame they never followed that up and dropped the already established chars.
What threw me off with Travis was going straight from Ghosts of Onyx to her books. The style change was jarring, as were the internal monologues.
Exactly. GoO was the best book IMO and if you wanted to follow that up you better make a kick ass book

blamite

I liked the glasslands part with Lucy and the Huragoks, shame they never followed that up and dropped the already established chars.

This. For all the questionable parts of Glasslands, this segment was great. I thought it would lead to Lucy becoming a more important character, not a nearly nonexistent one. :/

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
In your opinion. I think her writing style is dry and uninteresting, every character behaves like an asshole in her books (not even only in the halo books, in all of her stuff I read)
What leads to many characters seem to be out of character.

Everything I write is my opinion, but typing IMO every time gets old, fast. :)

I agree about her dryer writing style (not entirely true of all her writing, but a large portion of the Kilo-5 trilogy is written that way.

I think that the author's journalistic side informs her overall general style and thats why she comes across a bit dryer than other authors. I don't blame Traviss for not following up with some of the Onyx characters, that wasn't the story she was writing. I wish it was - I would have liked to see these character picked up more and as a read being given the chance to follow them through, but not this time it seems.

I know before the first K5 book came out, some folks did say it was Onyx Part Two, and whilst the story did resolve the Onyx situation and give some resolution for those characters, it wasn't the main focus. I think one of the main problems of the K5 trilogy has been a lack of focus on his own story and characters.

Book one was all about establishing the characters, whilst resolving Onyx and setting the ball in motion for Halsey. Book two set up the table for Jul and touched point with the Elites, setting the stage for Halo 4. Now, finally it seems, book 3 finally focuses back on the original K5 characters and clone/daddy terrorist situation.

I think the K5 trilogy could have worked better with less books or more books, either focusing solely on K5 or spinning out the other threads into separate books (I know my Onyx fans would have wanted a proper sequel if given the chance).

Nirvana

Man, there is a lot of talk here with issues with mechanics in regards to Halo 4 and there are certain aspects I'd agree with, but aside from the obvious issues of ordnance drops being imbalanced I think the main issue I had with the game were the maps. Not a single one of them was particularly enjoyable to play on, even Valhalla didn't feel that great and I used to love that map on Halo 3.

Man, there is a lot of talk here with issues with mechanics in regards to Halo 4 and there are certain aspects I'd agree with, but aside from the obvious issues of ordnance drops being imbalanced I think the main issue I had with the game were the maps. Not a single one of them was particularly enjoyable to play on, even Valhalla didn't feel that great and I used to love that map on Halo 3.

Yup an incredibly weak mapset on release. DLC didn't help a single bit. First starting with the first DLC pack adding all large maps when small-medium maps were needed. Also giving it away for free and then taking it back was a very weak move on their part.

As for Forge fuck that, I'm sick of playing inferior maps.

Looks at Ghosts DLC plan on CoD. Their first pack is dropping FOUR small-medium maps. Because thats what people want. If people are looking for huge battles they are going to be playing Battlefield 4.

We want fun action. Drop the size of the maps down overall. Focus on 4v4 and 5v5 stuff.

As for maps. Halo maps need to have a lot more thought built into it from line of sights to control zones, especially multiple routes. This is stuff forgers don't really do that often as the playtesting required to get a map into MM is just absolutely too low.

Nebula

I've decided, thanks to Reach, that I will never purchase Halo 5 if it has Jet Pack. By far the worst idea to ever be included in a Halo game. I hate it with a passion.

Also can I ask why 343 removed the Mongoose from some maps in BTB? I only play the game to drive it and I really liked driving it on Vortex.

TheOddOne

I've decided, thanks to Reach, that I will never purchase Halo 5 if it has Jet Pack. By far the worst idea to ever be included in a Halo game. I hate it with a passion.
I have a hard time following the link here or I'm missing something.

Should you not compare 343 product against 343 product, instead of Bungie against 343 work?

Nebula

Kind of forgot the jet-pack was even in Halo 4 since I never see anyone using it.

I always get that one guy with a SAW floating around peppering my Mongoose. It's a horrid experience.

I have a hard time following the link here or I'm missing something.

Should you not compare 343 product against 343 product, instead of Bungie against 343 work?

It was more about the Jet Pack from Reach scarring me mentally to the extent that anything similar would make me not want the game.

GreyWind

Listening to the Bungie podcast and something caught my attention. Tyson Green mentioned something about a game, he didn't say what game it was but he mentioned a prequel and a sequel. Was he talking about Reach and H4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom