• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh you.

Wait till you get Halo 5 UI with bubble text and upside down text.

Naw H5 will have this lobby

1180503848.jpg

bugsjpg.png

Chettlar

Banned
Xbox. And I had input lag as I was playing it connected through my Xbox One

Two more questions then:

1. So had you never done 2 on legendary before

2. How is the streaming quality? Does it ever vary?

Naw H5 will have this lobby

1180503848.jpg

bugsjpg.png

Can I say that Halo 3 had the best and simplest lobby out of all the Halo's? Super easy to see and understand. In lots of other lobbys, I have to ask about how you do that one thing. Halo 3 sorta gave me the same feeling that the 360 controller did when I held it for the first time. It just fit and worked and was comfortable.

No more baseball card lobbies pls. Tried playing some Halo 4 system link multi once and the thing was so confusing we gave up. It kept saying we needed to connect to a network (which...doesn't make sense. I mean, how are you supposed to connect to a network if both consoles are 360Elites and are connected to each other?). Annoying.

Just beat Halo 2 on Legendary because you guys made it seem impossible last week. Only hard level is that one with Masterchief on the High Charity, where Gravemind teleports him. The start of the level took me like 30 minutes to get out of. Besides that, ya'll are noob cakes.
It's not impossible, just poorly designed and simply not fun. I don't know why anyone that has done it before would want to do it again unless they were speedrunning or something. More power to you though, hope it was a good use of your time.

Mistel

Banned
It kept saying we needed to connect to a network (which...doesn't make sense. I mean, how are you supposed to connect to a network if both consoles are 360Elites and are connected to each other?). Annoying.
You literally make an ad hoc network on the host console, then get the second one to join that network then you can play system link.

Gravemind is awful on legendary arguably one of the worst out of all of them, totally not fun at all .

Chettlar

Banned
You literally make an ad hoc network on the host console, then get the second one to join that network then you can play system link.

Gravemind is awful on legendary arguably one of the worst out of all of them, totally not fun at all .

Can somebody give me a simple step-by-step process as to how this works (or...just link me to one if you know of any)? I'd like to know for future reference since we were going to try to get together and do some LAN again soon.

---

EDIT: Also, quick question about Halo 2. What is the best way to play? I tried the mouse controls and they were so bad I thought there was something wrong with my mouse pad, but changing the surface my mouse was on only made it worse. Is the 360 controller support any good? I have a wired 360 controller I could use.

Is there some way to apply one of those mouse fix things or whatever they're called to the mouse controls to make it less wonky? I really enjoyed playing CE with a mouse, and I'd hate to not be able to do that with Halo 2.

I should be on for customs tonight.

There's a Wild game on at the time we're supposed to start Halo so I will probably just watch the first period then hop on Xbox I suppose.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I should be on for customs tonight.

There's a Wild game on at the time we're supposed to start Halo so I will probably just watch the first period then hop on Xbox I suppose.

Yup, should be fun. I'm about to hop on and just make some basic gametypes. Legendary CTF, Legendary King etc.

nillapuddin

Nilla's Halo 2 Legendary Experience

"Enter the Noob"

Arbiter Levels = active camo at all costs, limited to no combat

Master Chief Levels = Find skulls + use weird glitches to obtain Active Came, limited to no combat.

Ghost out of every level.

Try not to kill yourself due to AI frustration

matthieuC

Can I say that Halo 3 had the best and simplest lobby out of all the Halo's? Super easy to see and understand. In lots of other lobbys, I have to ask about how you do that one thing. Halo 3 sorta gave me the same feeling that the 360 controller did when I held it for the first time. It just fit and worked and was comfortable.
Reach had the best UI. Halo 3 was still good, though.

You can say whatever you want, but Halo 2 had the best lobbies. Halo 3 removed a lot of useful information in the lobbies...for no reason.

live-in-the-next-generation-the-trueskill-system-20051028115404257-000.jpg

1180503848.jpg

Chettlar

Banned
Reach had the best UI. Halo 3 was still good, though.

I do like Reach's, but it was a bit confusing. I liked Halo 3's because it was so simple. I don't feel like there's a need for two separate screens in the lobby (weird, it started giving me motion sickness if I went back and forth between the two too much). I like having the thing where you show what the spartans look like separate.

Halo 3 is more LAN friendly imo.

I've got a draw full of them. I could pm you one of the longer ones?

I don't need any now, but mind if I ask some time later when I'm available for some Halo 3?

You can say whatever you want, but Halo 2 had the best lobbies. Halo 3 removed a lot of useful information in the lobbies...for no reason.

live-in-the-next-generation-the-trueskill-system-20051028115404257-000.jpg

1180503848.jpg

Pictures aren't convincing me. 2's looks cluttered.

I'm not saying I disbelieve you, but I'd have to use it to see for myself.

I do wish Halo 3 would tell you what game you're actually playing. Especially when I first started, it would say "Crazy King" and I had no idea what that meant, but I feel like that would still work well, added near the bottom on Halo 3's matchmaking UI. Either that or press the Back button for info on the gametype, rules, etc. I could totally dig that, since, once I know what Crazy King is, I don't really care to be told every single time I play.

Like...what is Tank Ball? That's something I could press Back and see. Have it look like this:

[header]Tanks Ball

Summary: Tank ball is blah blah blah

Rules (or something similar):
Time/kills/points: 15:00 or 100 seconds
Weapon types: Standard [meaning, weapons are as they usually are on that map. Alternatively you could have "Duals" meaning the only weapons on the map are Dual weird friendly]
Weapon starts: Assault Rifle and Magnum

I do like Reach's, but it was a bit confusing. I liked Halo 3's because it was so simple. I don't feel like there's a need for two separate screens in the lobby (weird, it started giving me motion sickness if I went back and forth between the two too much). I like having the thing where you show what the spartans look like separate.

Halo 3 is more LAN friendly imo.

I don't need any now, but mind if I ask some time later when I'm available for some Halo 3?

Pictures aren't convincing me. 2's looks cluttered.

I'm not saying I disbelieve you, but I'd have to use it to see for myself.

I do wish Halo 3 would tell you what game you're actually playing. Especially when I first started, it would say "Crazy King" and I had no idea what that meant, but I feel like that would still work well, added near the bottom on Halo 3's matchmaking UI. Either that or press the Back button for info on the gametype, rules, etc. I could totally dig that, since, once I know what Crazy King is, I don't really care to be told every single time I play.

Like...what is Tank Ball?

Use your smartphone to check out the Halo Waypoint app for more information.

In terms of visuals, I liked Halo 3/4's the best with the sort of digital blue thing that's it's got going on.

In terms of functionality, Halo: Reach all the way. The Active Roster was a genius move.

HTupolev

Pretty much all of Bungie's menus were awesome.

CE and Reach are probably my favourite. CE's is gorgeous and really slick, but wouldn't expand naturally to the online environment (or a game with a complex featureset at all). Reach's is just all-round awesome, staying clean despite being very full-featured.

343i needs serious help in the menu department. It's not like Halo 4 is an isolated case, CEA's menus are also very poorly-made, both in terms of layout choices and technical function (wtf at sound cutting).

Pretty much all of Bungie's menus were awesome.

CE and Reach are probably my favourite. CE's is gorgeous and really slick, but wouldn't expand naturally to the online environment (or a game with a complex featureset at all). Reach's is just all-round awesome, staying clean despite being very full-featured.

343i needs serious help in the menu department. It's not like Halo 4 is an isolated case, CEA's menus are also very poorly-made, both in terms of layout choices and technical function (wtf at sound cutting).

Can you post some CE again? Also i think 343 was just trying to do something different for the sake of it like many things in H4. I am sure they can make a UI like the previous titles.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Going from Reach to Halo 4 in terms of menu's... was a disgrace.

Having 343 folks come in here and saying they "got used" to Halo 4's half-arsed, overly designed eye insulting menu's was, in retrospect, insulting.

No 343, we never got used to terrible design, stupid design choices and bullshit slanted text. You failed. Badly. Try again next game. Hint: see every other Halo game you never made.

Trey

Having 343 folks come in here and saying they "got used" to Halo 4's half-arsed, overly designed eye insulting menu's was, in retrospect, insulting.

No 343, we never got used to terrible design, stupid design choices and bullshit slanted text. You failed. Badly. Try again next game. Hint: see every other Halo game you never made.

Had no call to change it. That's the worst part.

There's a reason we read text horizontally and that is because our eyes are spaced horizontally and can see more from left to right than up and down. That's why we've gone from 4:3 to 16:9. Rotating the text at a 90 degree angle not only makes me read funny in my head but is an f you to our evolution as a species. Stupid move on whoever designed it, and whoever OK'd it. I can't believe it got past being JUST an idea. That's why you need people like me at 343i. So I can tell you NO when you do something stupid.

Stop.

Fucking baseball cards, seriously, get the fuck out.

HTupolev

Can you post some CE again? Also i think 343 was just trying to do something different for the sake of it like many things in H4. I am sure they can make a UI like the previous titles.
I'm feeling too lazy to set up my capture card and whatnot right now, here's a random video on Youtube which starts out with an entry into SP campaign. (This is on original Xbox, you can tell by the Game Demos tab)

It's perfectly responsive and looks great. It's not very compact, and it doesn't standardize very carefully on how it handles different things. Ultimately it's intuitive, but you couldn't expand it very well. The newer games did need a different approach.

FyreWulff

It felt so much like one team made the campaign menu and a separate team made the rest of the UI. Also, why the gigantic blank space on the top level menu? Would have made sense to put a MOTD there, or show the Infinity at least.

And even ignoring how clumsy the tiles were, the traffic map was all messed up. Highly trafficed options were often 3 layers deep. It was hard to tell what you had unlocked. I didn't even know I could unlock new weapon skins without preorder codes. Seriously found out about that from someone mentioning they just unlocked a skin with grinding in this very thread, And on top of all that it stuttered and lagged. Why does a menu have a lower framerate than the main game?

Yup, should be fun. I'm about to hop on and just make some basic gametypes. Legendary CTF, Legendary King etc.

Oh nice sounds fun.

I should be on around 8CT/9ET so I'll be about an hour late or so.

And regarding the larger discussion on UI/menus I would say I like Halo 3's more than Halo 2's. It just seems cleaner. That's just me though.

EDIT: And I liked Reach's active roster but Halo 3's menu screens were nicer IMO.

Tashi

I'll be hopping on in 5-10 minutes to get the lobby started. Message, "TashiGAF" for an invite. Again, all are welcome.

Tashi

I lagged out of the party or something before we even got the first game going. Going to open my NAT and join up in a couple minutes.

So the game is an hour later than I thought so I figured I could just hop on sooner.

My gf decided to yoink the TV to catch up on some shitty Revenge show. Ugh. I'll be on in an hour or so.

Halo theatre mode is amazing.

I just popped in Halo 3 to play some social slayer. My gold has ran out so I decided to just go watch theatre mode for the nostalgia hit.

Came across my 50 game which is from YEARS ago, I still remember the post game convo as the 50 popped up. Watching Halo 3 Slayer back is incredible, working as a team, BR'ing - holding down power weapons. Its so weird going back. Its even weirder seeing friends gamertags and stuff from that long ago. Its just bizarre being able to go back and replay those 'memories'.

Madness

I'm always amazed just how many fans there are of Halo, who post in other Halo threads, but don't really post here. Not that there is anything wrong with it, just that Halo has so many fans on GAF beyond the community thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom