• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody see that Titanfall footage? I wouldn't mind seeing some of those mobility maneuvers in Halo. Looks hella fun.

The alpha footage looks way too similar to Call of Duty for my tastes, and I was actually thinking about getting the game to at least try it
NhCoqMO.gif
. Only way wall running could work in Halo (imo) is fixing aim assist and movement speed. I really couldn't see 343 make something like that work though.

Movement is a big thing for Halo and if you put Titanfalls movement in it, it will change the whole game. Which is....you know a thing people are pretty adamant about not happening again.

Let Titanfall be Titanfall, Halo be Halo, Battlefield be Battlefield and CoD be CoD.

If you want to play with Titanfall's movement just buy Titanfall.

Now double jumping and multi directional thrusts would be a good way to advance Halos movements
A Default Thruster Pack that can maneuver side to side or act as a "Double Jump" and maybe even Thrust backwards.

I'd fucking love if 343 make this work really well in Halo 5.

TheOddOne

Titanfall style fits the game, because it is a run-and-gun game.

Halo for most part was never really a run-and-gun game, because map knowledge and awareness played a huge roles. It became less of that in H4 and to a lesser extent Reach.

wwm0nkey

Thruster Pack was the best new addition to Halo 4. I Hope it's one of the few 343 concepts that returns to the next game
Sprint replaced with thrusters. Can ONLY be used in short bursts with a total of 3 per 15sec recharge and can be used in any direction.

Can also be used as a double jump.

I would LOVE for it to happen.

Nowise10

Ihate thruster pack. Really annoying when you are shooting someone who is 50 feet away and hes about to die, then he thrusters, changing his hitbox, and then getsbehind a wall, when without it he would've died. Even in a close situation, it just throws off everything and is incredibly annoying.

I'd rather they just scrapped abilities as a hole. Or atleast make it so you can't spawn with them, and its similar to equipment in Halo 3.

Sprint replaced with thrusters. Can ONLY be used in short bursts with a total of 3 per 15sec recharge and can be used in any direction.

No. Where are you guys getting these ideas from. This just sounds incredibly frustrating, and everyone would be thrusting around all the time.

double/wall jumping is something I've wanted in a Halo game for a while now.

You could always just ramp up the aim assist when targeting wall-running players.
sticky proximity grenades would be better, or just bring back the Brute Spike Grenades.

Mistel

Banned
A Default Thruster Pack that can maneuver side to side or act as a "Double Jump" and maybe even Thrust backwards.

I'd fucking love if 343 make this work really well in Halo 5.
Anniversary base game play with thruster packs *swoon*.

You are not going to get yourself banned again, when I link to a halo thread again?

Chettlar

Banned
They arent going to do any campaign rework,the point of a H2 is to have it as the original form and not touched on besides obvious stuff like graphics. It would be cool however if it is on an extras section[E3 demo]. MS should just put all Halo titles on the marketplace for xbox one and call it a day.

That was another idea I was thinking about. Frankie did say once that they still have the E3 demo in playable form (albeit with a ton of bugs) that they could probably clean up.

Having something like a "deleted scenes" set of chapters separate from the main campaign would be really cool imo.

And it seems appropriate too, seeing as how this is a fairly common practice with movies, and would definitely be an extra incentive to buy Halo 2 Anniversary if one has already played Halo 2.

Chettlar

Banned
In forge it would be great, fantastic, spectacular even, if the middle of the map, was represented numerically by coordinates.

When building symmetrical maps, using a clean number as your center point is very helpful. Never has this been the case with Forge. Not even close.

The gigantic gap between dev maps and forge maps is shown in times like this, where any sense of workflow, consistency and continuity is completely broken.

Plz help us out forge engineers/designers, putting (0,0) in the middle of (Beaver Creek) shouldn't be so damn difficult

*hate myself for loving forge sometimes
all the time

I approve of this. Sounds very, very useful.

Thanks!

I host everything in Acoustica Mixcraft, and over time I have accrued EastWest Symphonic Orchestra Silver (the lightest version), LA Scoring Strings 2.0 Lite, Kontakt 5 and the libraries it comes with, then a ton of free or really cheap synths and smaller libraries. I feel like I'm pretty thrifty with my software.

Thanks! I've heard of most of those, but not Acoustica. I'll look into that.

For right now I'm pretty much relegated to an electric piano, which sucks, because I'm not the best at playing and don't always keep my notes on beat, which is really annoying to listen back to (nobody else seems to mind, and thinks I'm a genius, but it bothers me).

Nebula

Thruster pack is something I wouldn't mind returning either. So many little things you can do to alter how you move around the map. So good.

Chettlar

Banned
The main thing I'd hope for is a new engine like how Fable Anniversary uses UE3. (side note, Painkiller remake used UE3 too, but that's just another example of not building on top of the original engine along with its limitations).

At least with UE3, they'd get LightMass (baked GI) and a fresh starting point for networked co-op. Not having to work within the original animation limitations would be nice too...

It's basically making a new game though (and with some portability options to PC/x86 *cough*).

Just my two cents, but it might be better for the purpose of not splitting user bases if 343i created a playlist for the next Halo title that mimicked the Halo 2 style. Otherwise, I just don't see the point in bringing it back as I don't believe the majority of players will be flocking to an HD remake. *shrug*

On the other hand, recreating in Halo 5 is easier said than done with physics being different among certain other gameplay defining elements.

Well, here's what I was hoping would happen. Xbox 360 gamers would get Halo 2 Anniversary while Xbox One gamers get Halo One/5/da fith one. The 360 version could be based off of the original engine, like CE. Then, several months later (Say February of 2015), for Xbox One and PC, the game would be completely remade, with a new engine (the one used for Halo 5), new netcode, etc. etc.

Though I wouldn't get my hopes up, a reimagining would be neat*, although there are certainly some encounters that could be iterated upon that shouldn't change things drastically. e.g. the scarab boarding sequence, boss fights.

Exactly, that's what I thought was most important. There were a lot of issues with Halo 2 apparantly, so perhaps you could have the 360 version, while refined, still be more faithful to the original, and have the Xbox One and PC versions a little more liberal. I think that seems like a happy medium between absolute purists and others who won't even touch 2's campaign.

*way back when, I had the idea they could have remade 1-3 under the 343i name as a reimagining from the point of view of an increasingly bored and rampant Cortana post-Halo 3 - a "Cortana Chronicles" of sorts, based on her record of events and stuff John would have reported on. She'd just be trying to hold her thoughts and memories together. Funnily enough, it would have been a convenient excuse to get rid of the Library in CE (since she wasn't present, or rampant Cortana would simply fast forward it in her thoughts) and Arbiter levels (she wasn't there) - something folks can be divided on. :p

Don't you dare take away the Library. The Library is one of the best levels in CE, especially in co-op.

Meanwhile 343i could have added/updated gameplay elements while any inaccuracies/differences or missing events would have obvious reasons - not everything has to change, of course.

Oh well.

Meh, I don't think it needs to be remade comepletely all like that, especially since that would take a ton of money with doubtful chances of returns. Not that I completely dislike it, I just don't think it's entirely practical.

Chettlar how about a snake tales style feature, instead of shoehorned alterations?

You mind explaining what that is and what would be the difference? I wasn't exactly saying that it should be shoehorned. I was saying refine the campaign a little (especially Legendary), and then provide us with some individual levels, exactly as if they had been released, as something we could play separately from the main campaign. Some could be alternate ways things could go; others could be things that were simply cut out.

Blueblur1

I think a wall-run, weak double jump and thruster ability would work really well in Halo. They wouldn't have to be as quick and could be more limited to suit Halo gameplay (as opposed to the crazy wall-run/double jump/thruster combomaneuvers in those Titanfall videos). Even something as simple as grabbing onto a ledge would be nice. One could counter the ledge-grab ability by making the animation long and/or slow. That way a badly timed jumped isn't the end of a player's life and it won't save his hide from attackers either.

I rather see slower, tweaked version of those abilities added to Halo in lieu of jetpacks, player controlled camouflage, etc.

Anniversary base game play with thruster packs *swoon*.

You are not going to get yourself banned again, when I link to a halo thread again?
Don't you tease me with a good time

That depends if the OP wants Default Sprint, Flinch, Armor Lock, OG Bolshot & Dmr, Custom Loadouts, Killstreaks, Perks, 64 players in a Gigantic sized map, with Innovating ADS using only Assault Rifles...
=P

nillapuddin

I once thought double jump would be nice, I no longer hold that opinion.
It just 'sounds' better than jetpack.

Make it an equipment pickup, just bring back damn equipment.

Omni

Oh hey. Traviss' new book comes out today... iTunes still says 1st of February expected release though. *shrugs*

Oh hey. Traviss' new book comes out today... iTunes still says 1st of February expected release though. *shrugs*

I haven't decided on when I'm going to get it.

The new Joe Ledger book comes out in March so I'll probably order the two of them at the same time. And now that this book has released I hope we get new details on the next wave of books sometime soon.

As an aside to anybody who cares about picking up a new series of books to read, Joe Ledger is one of the greatest action book series' I have ever read. So much fun to read. First book is him against zombies, then him against genetically altered super mutant people, third book is him vs the Illuminati, the fourth is him against a secret society of Vampires, the fifth is him against people using alien weapons, and the new one is him vs zombies again.

Getting Jon Mayberry, the guy who writes the series, to write a Halo book would be one of my wildest dreams come true.

AlStrong

Don't you dare take away the Library. The Library is one of the best levels in CE, especially in co-op.

heh, yeah. I didn't mind it either. :)

Meh, I don't think it needs to be remade comepletely all like that, especially since that would take a ton of money with doubtful chances of returns. Not that I completely dislike it, I just don't think it's entirely practical.

Well, gameplay changes would have included something like your suggestion of including an AR in Halo 2 (and the various gameplay sections already mentioned). ;) I was thinking no more than adding sprint (no armour abilities otherwise), and perhaps adding pure flood forms in Halo 2, but that to me is seemingly inconsequential in the grand scheme. With the missing events, I was more or less thinking about only recreating levels that fit a rampant Cortana narrative (although it's a slippery slope to a rather broken narrative given all the cut-scenes involved). A complete remake would be best (and a ton of work). Most of the "explained changes" would basically have included the visuals (art direction) and quirks related to the different engine involved, but otherwise, the level layouts/environments would be as close as possible.

A complete remake (ala Fable) is pretty much making a new game with a bunch of the design taken care of already, but there's still going to be differences due to the underlying engine and the new art that needs to be created. It'd be a lot of work to make sure everything is the same between engines. I mean, sure it was kinda neat that all the bugs & physics were the same in CEA, but that imposed some glaring technical limitations. :(

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Sprint needs to stay in Halo. You can take everything else out.

Mistel

Banned
Don't you tease me with a good time
I won't make any promises, I can't keep. Carnotaur is the biggest tease with that T-Rex of his.

You mind explaining what that is and what would be the difference? I wasn't exactly saying that it should be shoehorned.
Snake tales was part of Metal Gear Solid 2 subsistence which basically had Solid snake play out the story instead of Raiden. Instead of altering a remake include new idea's or altercations to the current campaign, add like a seperate sort of like mini campaign. If your desperate for new content with the suggestion's of your's like alternate routes and It could include new levels. Please say you at least have played MGS 3?
tumblr_muun7xXuBl1qlaqmmo1_250.gif

One step closer to Speedy getting banned.
Still at least we can laugh at him rather than rolling our eyes and hoping he'd improve.

63Q4JQ1.png

I'm okay with this.

No I'm not. :( hey better than being perma-banned because they think I'm a shill. So ehh...

Only part about being tagged like this I don't like is it's going to completely ruin any argument I try to have now, if some users decide to just quote my tag in my response, which I have seen people do now.

Nebula

I'm okay with this.

No I'm not. :( hey better than being perma-banned because they think I'm a shill. So ehh...

Only part about being tagged like this I don't like is it's going to completely ruin any argument I try to have now, if some users decide to just quote my tag in my response, which I have seen people do now.

OH MY GOD WOW! That tag though.

I'm okay with this.

I haven't seen an argument from you that would have necessitated using one.
This was inevitable.

Seriously dude.

heckfu

Banned
I haven't seen an argument from you that would have necessitated using one.
This was inevitable.

Seriously dude.

Yeah, no offense here either but you DID get banned for them thinking you're a shill for a reason. One look at your twitter kind of backs up the mindset that you're super into the product as well.

Tawpgun

RE: the recent MS news,

Speedy is probably being paid by MS to talk good about them on GAF for damage control. But he cant say hes getting paid because of the agreement.

Speedy's unfathomable brand loyalty is his way of confessing that he's part of this deal

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Speedy Blue Dude
This Post Brought To You By
the Microsoft Xbox One™,
The All-in-One Entertainment System
(Today, 04:01 PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom