• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think part of the reason I'm not interested in Destiny is because of how mainstream it looks. They're not trying to sell a game anymore, they're trying to sell a smash-hit blockbuster that'll make record day one sales. That's not to say they're playing a con game, but I just don't see the identity behind the whole thing. Combat Evolved was revolutionary for looking great for its time and streamlining the FPS console formula so hard that regenerating health bars are just an expectation for FPSes nowadays. Back then, Bungie was a fairly no-name studio who had made a Ghost in the Shell homage and some fantasy titles. Now, they're riding that Halo legacy high all the way to the bank - it feels like they've gotten too cocky as a company and now people think they can do anything. The biggest problem for me, though, is that they're doing this at their leisure , relatively speaking. Personally, I work best when I'm sleep-deprived as hell and wired on coffee. If I sleep in too late, I'm lethargic for the rest of the day. I understand it was mind-meltingly hectic, but Halo 2 came out the way it did because Bungie was getting fucked over deadline-wise every step of the way. You know what we'd have gotten if Bungie had all the time in the world to make Halo 2? A more robust campaign, for sure, but they originally intended to add in sprint, jetpacks, and zero-g sections.

A substitution for "caffeine" in an industry sense is budgetary limitations, as well. ODST seems like it would be forgettable on paper (a DLC expansion that got executive-meddled into a spinoff title that was working on a humble budget with a completely new set of characters with virtually no prior in-universe history and drawing inspiration from 2001-era game mechanics) but it ultimately became Halo's cult classic because of what it became.

I'm not saying sweatshop-level conditions and asinine crunch times are necessary to the cultivation of good games, but Destiny seems neither evolutionary nor revolutionary so far - it just looks like Bungie's sitting the revolutionary war out this time around.

After hearing the latest podcast, I think I'm finally interested in Destiny beyond the fact that it's just Bungie's next game. The devil's in the details, and the devil has fine taste in music.

Mistel

Banned
Here's the post as well:

I don't see the problem with this. All Microsoft is doing is paying and supporting the content creators supporting them. If other content creators who aren't fond of the Xbox Brand, decide to jump aboard and sell out on their personal beliefs for money, that's their fault and Microsoft's gain.

Just like any business contract, which this is, by the way, you aren't legally allowed to discuss the terms, conditions, or what you receive from it, so whatever.

The "you can't be negative about the Xbox One and it must be relevant" part also makes sense, why would the support you trashing their product? Besides, it's necessary. You already saw some posts on GAF discuss loopholes and ways to get money from Microsoft without doing anything. "Put it at the end of a totally unrelated video! Make a video discussing this bullshit and make money since it's about the Xbox One! Tall badly about the Xbox One and tag the video so you get paid!"

Can't blame Microsoft.

As a content creator and YouTuber myself, my channel is already practically a Xbox only channel (thanks Sony for making it so hard and BS to capture PS3 footage! And thanks even more for not allowing PS4 footage at all!), so I'm just getting paid for doing what I already do, I don't see the negative. Microsoft is just supporting those supporting them.

I know you're being sarcastic, and the hidden tag is hilarious, but seriously I sort of agree.
There needs to be a Wayne's world we aren't worthy gif for this PR :p.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think part of the reason I'm not interested in Destiny is because of how mainstream it looks. They're not trying to sell a game anymore, they're trying to sell a smash-hit blockbuster that'll make record day one sales. That's not to say they're playing a con game, but I just don't see the identity behind the whole thing. Combat Evolved was revolutionary for looking great for its time and streamlining the FPS console formula so hard that regenerating health bars are just an expectation for FPSes nowadays. Back then, Bungie was a fairly no-name studio who had made a Ghost in the Shell homage and some fantasy titles. Now, they're riding that Halo legacy high all the way to the bank - it feels like they've gotten too cocky as a company and now people think they can do anything. The biggest problem for me, though, is that they're doing this at their leisure , relatively speaking. Personally, I work best when I'm sleep-deprived as hell and wired on coffee. If I sleep in too late, I'm lethargic for the rest of the day. I understand it was mind-meltingly hectic, but Halo 2 came out the way it did because Bungie was getting fucked over deadline-wise every step of the way. You know what we'd have gotten if Bungie had all the time in the world to make Halo 2? A more robust campaign, for sure, but they originally intended to add in sprint, jetpacks, and zero-g sections.

A substitution for "caffeine" in an industry sense is budgetary limitations, as well. ODST seems like it would be forgettable on paper (a DLC expansion that got executive-meddled into a spinoff title that was working on a humble budget with a completely new set of characters with virtually no prior in-universe history and drawing inspiration from 2001-era game mechanics) but it ultimately became Halo's cult classic because of what it became.

I'm not saying sweatshop-level conditions and asinine crunch times are necessary to the cultivation of good games, but Destiny seems neither evolutionary nor revolutionary so far - it just looks like Bungie's sitting the revolutionary war out this time around.

I'm not sure I could disagree any more.

edit: Thanks Gavin! lol

And you were interested in Halo 4?
There are plenty of huge budget games, let's take The Last of Us as a recent example that have met and even surpassed expectations.

It's funny you bring up Halo 2, because Destiny is the first game that Jones has directed since.
And the idea that there haven't been and won't continue to be people crunching (not to Halo 2 levels) to ship it is just unheard of.

I'm not saying the game is some guaranteed renewal of the Ark of the Covenant, but your argument seems a little skewed by the game just not appealing to you so far.

Yea that is what i mean. I am like they left Halo for this? It just looks like a typical mmo fps on PC. They use the typical ADS and i think they have perks or abilities. Nothing really original going on.

Madness

It's so amazing that after being permabanned for being a possible MS shill, Speedy just goes full steam ahead. I mean Speedy, just a few days ago, you were asking how to take advantage of it and how you don't have any views etc. And in that thread you sound like you're one of the top MS guys getting paid like crazy. It's hilarious Bish gave you that tag since he's the one who banned you.

Don't get me wrong, I don't insult you personally, nor do I make fun of your twitter, or anything, just criticize what you write at times (ie. No Man's Sky looking like shit, being okay with the NSA/government tracking you at all times).

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea they are able to take all the time they want and have no pressure to release the game. Did you see the initial contract with Activision? The game was supposed to be out last year, and the first expansion would have been releasing when the game is coming out now. There's also tons of pressure due to the massive budget. If they don't sell tons of copies they will probably have to let go a lot of developers, and nobody wants to see that, especially Bungie themselves.

Secondly, they are kind of doing the same thing with Destiny they did with Halo. FPSs on consoles in 2001 weren't really a thing, at least there weren't many good ones. Bungie made the genre on consoles big, they simplified and streamlined the FPS like you said to work on consoles yet there was still depth to it. That is exactly what they're trying to do with Destiny. Take the MMO genre, and yes they've said it's not an MMO but it is obviously heavily MMO influenced, and make it work on consoles. What MMO on consoles has ever had a large playerbase? Maybe FFXI and that's it. Bungie is once again trying to bring a PC dominated genre to consoles but in a way that will work with the limitations consoles have. That's exactly what they did with Halo.

I'm not saying they're going to hit it out of the park with Destiny like they did with Halo. Halo had other unique things going for it Destiny doesn't have, but Destiny could still see similar success if they make the game they are capable of. I don't really understand what you're basing a lot of your points in this post on.

And you were interested in Halo 4?
There are plenty of huge budget games, let's take The Last of Us as a recent example that have met and even surpassed expectations.

It's funny you bring Halo 2, because Destiny is the first game that Jones has directed since.
And the idea that there haven't been and won't continue to be people crunching (not to Halo 2 levels) to ship it is just unheard of.

I'm not saying the game is some guaranteed renewal of the Ark of the Covenant, but your argument seems a little skewed by the game just not appealing to you so far.

I was interested in Halo 4 experimentally speaking. After so many titles done by Bungie, my interest got piqued by the notion of someone else taking the reins for a mainline title. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I'm not a Bungie guy, I'm a Halo guy. By extension, I'm also definitely not a 343 Industries guy - there's no acute way to decide what I exactly want in my Halo with regards to precise gameplay elements, story, or even overall thematics. Frankly, at this point I'd love for them to push the envelope with Halo more to see what sticks, and keep the traditional Halo experience tied to the mainline titles. I'd love to see spinoff Halo titles developed by Retro or even a Certain Affinity title with a classic Halo formula but a completely unique story in the future.

I'm also not completely surprised about that with regards to Jason Jones, because as of now Destiny's striking me as what a fully-fledged Halo 2 would have been if it wasn't tied to the Halo IP. So, really, the only thing I'm getting out of Destiny right now is "2," if that makes sense.

Games like The Last of Us are a completely different experience, notably because TLOU wasn't tied to a prior intellectual property - that being said, I haven't played it and don't feel like I can really go into detail about it without being an uninformed asshole, so I'm leaving that stone unturned.

And honestly, yes, my perspective is a little skewed - I've always been a small-scale, personal science fiction guy over a science fantasy guy or even a bombastic dating sim science fiction guy. That being said, I'm at least going to be honest about it. I have no doubt Destiny has an extremely high chance being one of the greats, but it's just not the type of game for me. I don't harbor any ill will towards Bungie for Destiny because I can tell they're doing what they love - I can picture Jason doodling Hunters and Warlocks on napkins while he's skimming details on Reach's plot in the interim. There's nothing wrong with that, but I like my games with a little bit of capricious freneticism and some underlying risk to them - Destiny just strikes me as playing things very safe so far.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea they are able to take all the time they want and have no pressure to release the game. Did you see the initial contract with Activision? The game was supposed to be out last year, and the first expansion would have been releasing when the game is coming out now. There's also tons of pressure due to the massive budget. If they don't sell tons of copies they will probably have to let go a lot of developers, and nobody wants to see that, especially Bungie themselves.

Hence relatively. From a directing standpoint, Jason Jones is going from Halo 2 straight to an extremely long-term contract with Activision where he's getting a standardized structure right from the beginning.

Chettlar

Banned

I agree, but, while I think Bungie is getting way arrogant about this whole thing (humility is ALWAYS your friend as a company), I think a lot of this "mainstream" and "dude bro" stuff can be blamed on Activision. I mean, they kind of publish the most mainstream and dude bro game on the planet.

I dislike it, but I don't know that even if they wanted to, Bungie could change that all that much.

Just remember Bungie have cards in their hand we're not privileged to as yet. A post above was on the money that Destiny is close to the chest for now and when the console launches, plus second wave of games like Titanfall release, they'll go into full PR mode.

I've said it for years now but I'm still sort of expecting Destiny to be a cross platform coop/multiplayer title. If that becomes reality then holy shit megaton to the levels of CE console FPS and Halo 2 XBL. I'm guessing it's a new standard for mobiles, tablets, and consoles all playing together.

It feels like the game is being pushed back for development reasons and release timing reasons combined.

Just remember Bungie have cards in their hand we're not privileged to as yet. A post above was on the money that Destiny is close to the chest for now and when the console launches, plus second wave of games like Titanfall release, they'll go into full PR mode.

I've said it for years now but I'm still sort of expecting Destiny to be a cross platform coop/multiplayer title. If that becomes reality then holy shit megaton to the levels of CE console FPS and Halo 2 XBL. I'm guessing it's a new standard for mobiles, tablets, and consoles all playing together.

It feels like the game is being pushed back for development reasons and release timing reasons combined.

co-op cross platform wont be CE on console megaton lol.

co-op cross platform wont be CE on console megaton lol.

You know of a title that allows PS3/4 & XB360/1 & tablet/mobile gamers to play together?

Eve has PC and PS3, there has been some tablet development to real time games too. However titles like BF don't allow multiplayer cross platforms to be in the same pools of players? Do they? I'd be interested to know if I missed something. Bungie/Halo early on was always the total package, that's the sort of thing I think Destiny is once again.

For reference this B.net thread of mine before edited was on the official pre order site. It wouldn't have been there for no reason or if it was wildly inaccurate. It got pulled as I feel it still very much on target for what they're aiming for.

When you look at a the original topic top snippet:

The Super Quick Version: Destiny will be a new hybrid genre with a single persistent universe that is cross platform, possibly cross generation and multi device enabled which mixes MMO, RPG, FPS & RTS elements.

The quote from Bungie "Eventually it will become more the gamers than the developers and will take a life itself..." (can't remember the exact quote).

- TL;DR - The short version -
Multi-platform (xbox & PS3, maybe PC), mutli-device (iPad, mobile phones), open world, combination First Person Shooter (FPS) & Role Playing Game (RPG) with possible Real Time Strategy (RTS) elements as well.

There will also be a micro-transaction or subscription based economy for players to upgrade, sell or trade goods and of course website integration to keep you coming back. This will take place in a single universe where all player actions, games and data are in real time to all other players.

I also speculate this game engine will either be for the next generation or already support the current consoles and run on the next generation in the same game release.

After all what is bigger than Halo? Single universe, on planet (FPS/RPG), off planet (RTS/MMO), user generated content and cross platform interaction (subscription/micro transaction)...that's what.

When I think about this it seems far more than plausible but not definite of course that Destiny is going to set a cross platform standard and persistent world for their new universe. Socially, platform wise and the seamless matchmaking is just more evidence of the total package presentation IMO. Anyhow we'll see how it goes.

I sort of guess similar for next gen Halo as well. I'm wondering if the campaign will go massive coop or include space battles (there was a lot of vehicle style mission bits in 4/Reach). Certainly a cloud based mode could go very persistent and large in scale with a dynamic story. I think the dynamic story element of Destiny is one of the cards Bungie is yet to reveal, hardly any news/YT/posters are talking about this aspect but I feel it's going to get a lot of the spotlight "soon". Look at that quote about becoming more the gamers, how do you develop effective story around such customisable weapons, ships, player characters and all connected? You make it dynamic with some hand holding by the developers.

You know of a title that allows PS3/4 & XB360/1 & tablet/mobile gamers to play together?

Eve has PC and PS3, there has been some tablet development to real time games too. However titles like BF don't allow multiplayer cross platforms to be in the same pools of players? Do they? I'd be interested to know if I missed something.

Bungie/Halo early on was always the total package, that's the sort of thing I think Destiny is once again.

To me it just isn't something special. Also it wont happen since sony and ms wont agree. We saw this with other titles in the past.

Chettlar

Banned
Talented people/companies don't just stop being talented because you've given them a truckload of money and time.

No, but mismanaging talent is just as bad as if not worse than having it.

Microsoft is a talented company. They have a lot of really fantastic ideas, really. It actually makes me rather upset to think how horrible of a company they are with all the infighting and mismanagement of ideas within the company. Thus, they come out with a lot of terrible ideas that, when you look at them, you're like "Oh my goodness that was a fantastic idea; how could it turn into that?"

I'm not saying Bungie will bungle up Destiny, but hubris can do terrible things to people. One day Bungie is going to wake up with a hatefully-received game, and you know what they're going to do? One of two things, suddenly get humble and learn from it, or they will start blaming everybody but themselves until they die of a ruptured bank.

And finally, the world ain't so black and white as to have "talented people" and "untalented people" nor is it static in any way.

Playing Warframe pretty much spoiled me how much Destiny will be

Tawpgun

Destiny's innovations are coming from its multiplayer model and storytelling from the look of it.

We gotta wait and see and suppose.

daedalius

Mmo borderlands will be amazing.

Wish it was coming out sooner than 4th quarter or whenever it's estimated now.

I hope the competive game types are good, I still love battlegrounds in world of Warcraft despite how broken pvp has been in that game for ages.

Tawpgun

It seems that Destiny is mainly a co-op focused game. That is how they are marketing it at least.

That's what I mean.

Its supposed to be a grand MMO-esque adventure.

You will travel the solar system with your fireteam, kicking ass. And there will be some areas where other fireteams will join you. And a central hub city where you can see other guardians. And some form of pvp

Mmo borderlands will be amazing.

Wish it was coming out sooner than 4th quarter or whenever it's estimated now.

I hope the competive game types are good, I still love battlegrounds in world of Warcraft despite how broken pvp has been in that game for ages.

You just accurately described every one of the reasons Destiny has me uninterested.

EDIT: That being said, if I can just cruise around in the hub city and fuck with other Guardians for all eternity, I'd be a very happy man.

DUBBLE EDIT: Some shitlord stole my Halysis story bible and changed the names for Mass Effect.

Nebula

I never knew man...

j5j89n9.gif

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't get the hype for Destiny.

People in Gaming have been saying it's going to be the biggest thing since sliced bread, be bigger than TitanFall, Call of Duty Black Ops 3(is this a thing?), Halo 5, and any other shooter coming out this year.

I just don't see it.

Ghazi

A) Just learned that you can actually see what the name of the file of someone's avatar is when it was uploaded. And some people on GAF have had some pretty interesting names for their image files.
Kappa.gif

So, note to all and self, don't name your image files with personal stuff.

B) Just finished edition my Twitch channel panels *cough* Halo *cough*

Pretty sure the purpose of Destiny's marketing push so far is just to get the name out and let people know Bungie is developing a new game. I would imagine once the beta gets closer we'll start to see some interesting stuff like actual, non-scripted gameplay.

A) Just learned that you can actually see what the name of the file of someone's avatar is when it was uploaded. And some people on GAF have had some pretty interesting names for their image files

So, note to all and self, don't name your image files with personal stuff.

B) Just finished edition my Twitch channel panels *cough* Halo *cough*

There's an elaborate ARG hidden in all the images I've posted.

Pretty sure the purpose of Destiny's marketing push so far is just to get the name out and let people know Bungie is developing a new game. I would imagine once the beta gets closer we'll start to see some interesting stuff like actual, non-scripted gameplay.

Sure but the thing that sucks is that the shooting is ADS like every other shooter out now. Even Bungie doesn't want to break ground in the genre anymore.

Sure but the thing that sucks is that the shooting is ADS like every other shooter out now. Even Bungie doesn't want to break ground in the genre anymore.

Borderlands have a huge load of ADS designs but you quickly forget about it since its all about powers and hip fire, same with mass effect series but you are right about not adding new elements to traditional FPS.

I think it probably has more to do with them wanting to try something different compared to halo, rather than following trends.

Ghazi

I seem to remember someone from Bungie saying you could still play the game shooting from the hip like in Halo without it affecting you, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

If so, then I would love that. Was not looking forward to ADS, even if you are wrong I really hope that's the case.

Aj and Zoojoo will giggle at my post... Here goes...

I'd like a Horde mode for a future Halo game. Play as any of the following types: Human, Covenant, and Flood.

But the main horde you'll indefinitely fight with/against is the Flood.

The horde mode will be called, "Infestation".

But don't worry. You'll still be able to play the Classic "Firefight" mode.

Infestation mode: Lone Spartan sent to investigate missing Marines, ODSTs, and Spartans in a unknown Forerunner Installation.

You're to hold position long enough for your Fire Team to assist you in the more difficult waves of Flood forms.

Any corpses of human/covenant ling around can be reanimated and turned into Combat or Carrier forms.

Pure Flood Forms are very rare and deadly, if you and your team do not take enough precautions to tactically eliminate them.

Chettlar

Banned
Aj and Zoojoo will giggle at my post... Here goes...

I like it, but how about something like this?

Two separate modes: Firefight (against Covies), and Infestation (against flood). Flood and Covenant fight very differently from one another, and I think there is room for both, if only in separate games. (Say have main games have Firefight and spinoffs have infestation or vice versa).

Or not. Maybe I didn't completely understand your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom