• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to make a bold
very bold!
prediction: If 343 gets rid of random ordnance and guts out the majority of the AA's, Halo 5 will be just as good or better than Destiny. I guess that's a massive "if" though. Things like promethean vision, jet packs, and active camo have to go. Really, 343 needs to go back to power ups instead of armor abilities. it's that simple.
OKCYoungGuns_zps091b12d5.gif

Madness

Mass Effect 3s multiplayer is really nice. We need something similar for Halo.

Microtransactions and class-based gameplay where you can either grind to upgrade weapons and players or pay upfront?

I kid, I played the hell out of ME3 multiplayer, but it just wouldn't work with Halo. Besides, if we're thinking of gameplay where we have to defend an area, hold off enemies, that's already the gist of firefight and spartan ops no?

Ghazi

I'm going to make a bold
very bold!
prediction: If 343 gets rid of random ordnance and guts out the majority of the AA's, Halo 5 will be just as good or better than Destiny. I guess that's a massive "if" though. Things like promethean vision, jet packs, and active camo have to go. Really, 343 needs to go back to power ups instead of armor abilities. it's that simple.
OKCYoungGuns_zps091b12d5.gif

Meanwhile, at 343 while they tweak the Armor Lock settings for H5:

3KUAw.jpg

Destiny looks all over the place and trying too hard to make everyone happy.

I predict me not giving a shit until I see more. You guys can do whatever.

Anyone playing that team dlc to get those halo 4 achievements they may have missed?

I played today and some dude walked up to me on daybreak, activated his hard light shield, turned around and let me assassinate him.

There really are good people left in the halo community. it brought a smile to my face.

IHaveIce

Banned
Anyone playing that team dlc to get those halo 4 achievements they may have missed?

I played today and some dude walked up to me on daybreak, activated his hard light shield, turned around and let me assassinate him.

There really are good people left in the halo community. it brought a smile to my face.
Oh there are people like this on?
I may have to try to get them.

Titanfall alpha didn't let ne play anything else

Karl2177

You know what it has been a long time since? A picture story.

This is an epic tale told as lazily as possible. It is the story of Red team vs. Karl on Shittiest map ever Cragmire.
o4GddMfl.jpg

QISdtuSl.jpg

It begins with Karl jumping down and turning to notice a vehicle barreling towards him. Not knowing what type of hog it is immediately, he prepares his EMP weapon, hoping to disable it at least.
ETlEkDOl.jpg

Karl gets an amazingly launched grenade, killing the driver immediately. A Gauss shot whiffs Karl's head.
qYuApkvl.jpg

The Warthog flips over and Karl places another perfectly launched grenade to kill the gunner.
CJ4tc76l.jpg

A player jumps over the rock and begins to attack our protagonist, but little does he know that there's one Grenade Launcher shot left.
ePPSkvel.jpg

Another player pops out and begins to duel Karl. Knowing that he is out of Grenade Launcher, our hero switches to his DMR to contest this battle.
nX1c1tfl.jpg

Karl places an impressive crouch to send what would be the opponent's killing shot whizzing over his head.
LQI80U0l.jpg

Our protagonist is victorious!
DHogXqGl.jpg

Now what is so special about this entire story? There were only three people involved! Yes, that's right. The two players in the Gauss Hog, were none other than the two coming over the rock.

And thus concludes the story of Karl's dongtopia and him talking in a third person perspective.

Madness

I did the same for like a week straight when the dlc released. No one reciprocated and some people couldn't even understand what I was trying to do.

Homeboyd

I didn't like the part where cragmire was talked down on (even though it was stricken from the record). Best map in the game.

Any day now, ghaleon is going to come back with another FF megapost bedtime story...

Aaaaany day now...

u4iX

You know of a title that allows PS3/4 & XB360/1 & tablet/mobile gamers to play together?

Eve has PC and PS3, there has been some tablet development to real time games too. However titles like BF don't allow multiplayer cross platforms to be in the same pools of players? Do they? I'd be interested to know if I missed something. Bungie/Halo early on was always the total package, that's the sort of thing I think Destiny is once again.

For reference this B.net thread of mine before edited was on the official pre order site. It wouldn't have been there for no reason or if it was wildly inaccurate. It got pulled as I feel it still very much on target for what they're aiming for.

When you look at a the original topic top snippet:

When I think about this it seems far more than plausible but not definite of course that Destiny is going to set a cross platform standard and persistent world for their new universe. Socially, platform wise and the seamless matchmaking is just more evidence of the total package presentation IMO. Anyhow we'll see how it goes.

I sort of guess similar for next gen Halo as well. I'm wondering if the campaign will go massive coop or include space battles (there was a lot of vehicle style mission bits in 4/Reach). Certainly a cloud based mode could go very persistent and large in scale with a dynamic story. I think the dynamic story element of Destiny is one of the cards Bungie is yet to reveal, hardly any news/YT/posters are talking about this aspect but I feel it's going to get a lot of the spotlight "soon". Look at that quote about becoming more the gamers, how do you develop effective story around such customisable weapons, ships, player characters and all connected? You make it dynamic with some hand holding by the developers.

What you have to think of is the player base and general target demographic of the Halo game. Many players do not read or are even aware of the novels. For instance, Mortal Dictata goes in depth into the trash left behind on planets like military shells, casings, waste, armor, and helmets just left behind by the war. It's something that a lot of player simply wouldn't be aware of, but it's definitely something that's captured in the new Halo 5 concept art.

Also, consider that mechanics like bloom and weapon spread like the Battle Rifle in Halo 2 can be adjusted differently between campaign and multiplayer, so when you make claims that the campaign needs to have tie ins to multiplayer, I somewhat but not fully tend to disagree. A lot of players won't notice these minute differences you mention.

I totally agree upon the lore though.

I really hope that Halo 5 is that game where the multiplayer modes explore on locations not found in campaign, which I think is the point you were trying to make with your post, even if you were unaware of it. Places like Lockout in Halo 2 added depth to the universe without needing those direct tie ins you mentioned.

Also, 100% with the Armor Abilities.

Madness

Eh, came off as a bit aggressive. I wouldn't mind reading more Halo type stories, especially if accompanied by stats or pictures.

I was disappointed to find you don't fly ships from planet to planet in Destiny, it's more of a fast travel system. This is a missed opportunity to have some continuity throughout the game world. I was hoping it would feel like the ship section in Reach, I thought that part was pretty fun and wanted more. Still looking forward to seeing what Destiny is all about, same with Halo 5 (please be less linear).

Deputy Moonman's 2014 keys to Halo 5's success:

1. AA's removed
2. Random Ordnance removed - actually, ordnance removed entirely
3. Power Ups return as static pickups (a la Halo 1 - 3)
4. Visual Ranks return - what's the point of competing if you have no idea where you stand as a competitor? The desire to get better does in fact keep people coming back)
5. Halo 2 style assault/flag games return
6. Influx of arena style maps + BTB maps better suited for objective and slayer
7. Clans return
8. Certain Affinity stops making bad maps
9. No ADS weapons
10. Lose the AR fetish
11. The ability to toss grenades like superman returns
12. Enough with the vehicles of mass destruction - Tank, Mantis, Banshee are a little too obnoxious
13. Flinching = bad / Descoping = good
14. Good strafing mechanics return
15. Hire Juices

tumblr_lpmt6fifMk1qcuz43o1_500.gif

Deputy Moonman's 2014 keys to Halo 5's success:

1. AA's removed
2. Random Ordnance removed - actually, ordnance removed entirely
3. Power Ups return as static pickups (a la Halo 1 - 3)
4. Visual Ranks return - what's the point of competing if you have no idea where you stand as a competitor? The desire to get better does in fact keep people coming back)
5. Halo 2 style assault/flag games return
6. Influx of arena style maps + BTB maps better suited for objective and slayer
7. Clans return
8. Certain Affinity stops making bad maps
9. ADS weapons limited or significantly weakened
10. Lose the AR fetish
11. The ability to toss grenades like superman returns
12. Enough with the vehicles of mass destruction - Tank, Mantis, Banshee are a little too obnoxious
13. Flinching = bad / Descoping = good
14. Good strafing mechanics return
15. Hire Juices

tumblr_lpmt6fifMk1qcuz43o1_500.gif

What ADS weapons? if you want ADS in Halo then your entire list is invalid.

Are you speaking of how much screen space it consumes?
Honestly I'm not even sure what I meant other than I'm not a fan of ADS weapons and certainly not in Halo. I edited the post. Sorry, Ragnarok. I tend to read all responses on gaf in a hostile tone. My bad and thanks for correcting me.

Honestly I'm not even sure what I meant other than I'm not a fan of ADS weapons and certainly not in Halo. I edited the post. Sorry, Ragnarok. I tend to read all responses on gaf in a hostile tone. My bad and thanks for correcting me.

I wasnt trying to be hostile. just wanted to clear up what you were saying. Its all good, i dont think any Halo fan wants ADS in Halo.

Mistel

Banned
I wasnt trying to be hostile. just wanted to clear up what you were saying. Its all good, i dont think any Halo fan wants ADS in Halo.
Exactly if I wanted ADS I could go play a game that has it, it wouldn't work in halo at all.

So Karl's pictures tell us he killed someone with a grenade launcher, and a DMR. Is that it, or am I missing their purpose?

Exactly if I wanted ADS I could go play a game that has it, it wouldn't work in halo at all.

So Karl's pictures tell us he killed someone with a grenade launcher, and a DMR. Is that it, or am I missing their purpose?

its not a clique post shitting on Speedy or Funk. so its gotta be something right?

What you have to think of is the player base and general target demographic of the Halo game. Many players do not read or are even aware of the novels. For instance, Mortal Dictata goes in depth into the trash left behind on planets like military shells, casings, waste, armor, and helmets just left behind by the war. It's something that a lot of player simply wouldn't be aware of, but it's definitely something that's captured in the new Halo 5 concept art.

Also, consider that mechanics like bloom and weapon spread like the Battle Rifle in Halo 2 can be adjusted differently between campaign and multiplayer, so when you make claims that the campaign needs to have tie ins to multiplayer, I somewhat but not fully tend to disagree. A lot of players won't notice these minute differences you mention.

I totally agree upon the lore though.

I really hope that Halo 5 is that game where the multiplayer modes explore on locations not found in campaign, which I think is the point you were trying to make with your post, even if you were unaware of it. Places like Lockout in Halo 2 added depth to the universe without needing those direct tie ins you mentioned.

Also, 100% with the Armor Abilities.

Sure I'm in agreement that one should not have to read or purchase lore external to the game. There should be parts of the game that reward that in small ways though, it's a fine line. As for moving forward I can see Destiny sort of having special areas that you go to for PVP, you know how they mention no menus as such (although this could just be the coop/story modes).

I've never been a fan of differing weapon settings from campaign to multiplayer, I see no reason for it moving forward. To me those sorts of things were required based on limited resources of hardware, I don't expect next generation to have such issues and would like the weapons to be universal across all modes/playlists etc. I'm also not expecting bullet sponges or dumb AI for similar reasons (from any next gen game e.g. Destiny or Halo). Games that support cross generations will have a tough time here and I don't want the same AI features between say 360 and X1 for example.

I also loved all the little extra details to multi-maps such as the back story etc. For it to work well it seems multiplayer maps or areas have to be specifically built but should only allow that sort of play. Reach seemed to explore this type of development, however, it felt like Reach did this for development resources over in game feature/story reasons. I've always wondered how much of ODST/Reach was Bungie experimenting for Destiny. One of the sub-links in that B.net thread discusses how far back I think Destiny has been around.

Good points though U4ix and we're in agreement for a lot of these sorts of seamless experiences and features. I'd like to see some of it in Halo but not all of it that I'm wanting for Destiny e.g. seamless matchmaking. I want to use the Smart Match features of my X1 and skype or watch TV while I get close skilled or party match ups etc. As for Destiny I feel I'd like to try the seamless experience even for PVP modes.

The persistent universe is welcomed to both though and I can't wait to see dedicated servers for coop modes without the input latency.

EDIT: Mind if I ask what you're doing these days (gaming personality wise)? I liked your Halo commentary/video stuff.

Mistel

Banned
DeputyMoonman_waits.jpg

- 6 years later and Master Chief still hasn't figured out how to get out of isolation - "Cortana? Is that you? Anybody?"
He could at least do something productive like botanical research. Or time how long it takes for the whole place to be infected.

I understand your pain nebula I once did that when I got a double kill with an emped falcon as it fell.

One thing I found slightly strange from Bungie was their assertion that sprint is now an industry standard in FPS's, and so (by implication) would be present in Destiny. Now it just so happens that sprint completely makes sense in that game, being predominantly co-op and filled with vast, stretching play spaces. But, really, a term like 'industry standard' shouldn't even be in the parlance of a company like Bungie. If they adhered to industry standards during CE's development they'd have used a 0-100, non-regeneratitive health bar and had a 15 weapon limit in which the pistol was useless and the 15th gun always won. I'm still suspicious of the use of ADS in Destiny when Halo style scoping is so superior from a gameplay perspective. Gameplay features should be congruent and sensical from an original design standpoint, unmolested by external pressures. Industry standards are there to be challenged and toyed with, not make design decisions (not that I think Bungie did in the Destiny/sprint case).

In other words #Halo5sprintOUT

Nebula

Picture Stories? OK!

This is the story of Settler
Capture the Ridge as I like to call it
where the Red team has gained control of the Ridge. I attempt to overthrow them with their own Hog.
ZVYyXIm.png

They don't notice my approach right away.
qLYJ4tE.png

But I soon realize that a crate is blocking my path.
Q2Mo579.png

Most would have given up there. A mighty crate can strike fear into the hearts of any driver, but not this one. I rammed it!
7IozpUV.png

The crate moves but not very far. The enemies notice I'm there, I reverse so I can gather some speed for the splatters.
TqqPlxD.png

The enemies spam grenades at me in a futile attempt to stop the inevitable.
YlCZfrJ.png

The crate becomes my own personal battering ram and I plow the two enemies behind it.
MmN06Jg.png

Q6Zg3uu.png

My Hog, happy with the destruction it has just caused thanks to the crate, mounts the crate in a friendly mating ritual.
7w1wrQs.png

My Hog finishes up and we drive off triumphantly, but not before giving an enemy the taste of our grill.
vPtUgwr.png

:)

One thing I found slightly strange from Bungie was their assertion that sprint is now an industry standard in FPS's, and so (by implication) would be present in Destiny. Now it just so happens that sprint completely makes sense in that game, being predominantly co-op and filled with vast, stretching play spaces. But, really, a term like 'industry standard' shouldn't even be in the parlance of a company like Bungie. If they adhered to industry standards during CE's development they'd have used a 0-100, non-regeneratitive health bar and had a 15 weapon limit in which the pistol was useless and the 15th gun always won. I'm still suspicious of the use of ADS in Destiny when Halo style scoping is so superior from a gameplay perspective. Gameplay features should be congruent and sensical from an original design standpoint, unmolested by external pressures. Industry standards are there to be challenged and toyed with, not make design decisions (not that I think Bungie did in the Destiny/sprint case).

Halo 4 was full of "industry Standard" elements. look at it.
trust us it feels like Halo

TheOddOne

I think that to some extent the huge budget, the amount of developers and expected success by the companies involved played a role into adding more industry standard elements in the design of the game. Something this big and risky are often sold to publishers by adding familiar elements to appease them, something they could latch back on when selling the game to the public. It is sometimes a necessary evil that is needed to even get the game green lit.

Mistel

Banned
This came up in that multiplayer thread:

I wonder how Halo would play out if 343 tried to blend Halo Reach's Invasion mode with the larger maps and player count of Battlefield's conquest/Rush mode.

In this mode you would have the UNSC vs the covenant, naturally, with each side having their own very distinct vehicle types, weapons and classes. Each map would be a mini-campaign that would have it's own story and lore that the players would effectively play out/re-enact each time they play, with multiple objectives and areas of the map where the combat would naturally flow towards. Each side would have their own unique objectives that, when achieved would either provide some sort of bonus or advantage to that team, or impose some sort of limitation on the other side. Dynamic objectives would appear throughout the length of the game, depending on who was winning and losing and would help provide additional advantages to help turn an almost certain defeat into an almost impossible win.

Could also have, on some maps an NPC element that would pose a risk to both sides, such as the flood. Whether this would be a random element, or a user trigger able event is up in the air. Having it random, where in some games it never even happened, would help keep players on their toes. Or we could have them as a deployable, grunts/jackels as NPC covenant allies or ODST's as UNSC NPC reinforcements that could be called in. You see a group of players well secured in a group of buildings, throw in some cannon fodder that are easy to kill, but should hopefully distract enough to let you try and get an edge or t

It may not be classic Halo as we all know and love, but I would certainly be up for some multiplayer action that tried to capture some of the major set pieces/battles from the campaign games and the books.
I dislike the idea, it would be a nightmare to balance with the sandbox, especially with the element of vehicular combat.

Caayn

So a short post about my thoughts thus far on Mortal Dictata after the first 100 pages.

It's starts interesting, but I'm sure you'll have read the prologue and the first chapter on waypoint, but after that it somewhat falls down to same as Glasslands and Thursday War. Karen Traviss does a better job at explaining why certain characters act like they do by expressing their opinions and thoughts better. But she keeps the "Halsey is a future Josef Mengele" intact, which is understandable from certain points of view. But it annoys me that those are the same times that there suddenly is no, or barely any, explanation as to why the character feels that way. It feels like the characters are hating on Halsey because they were told to by Paragonsky not because of their own reasons/opinions.
Karen Traviss did a good job in making Naomi doubt herself(for the lack of a better word) but sometimes she takes it a tiny it bit to far in my opinion.

That said I'm liking the setting she's created thus far with Naomi and her dad, Venezia and the people who live there. I'm interested to see what Karen Traviss has got in store in the rest of the book.

monome

So a short post about my thoughts thus far on Mortal Dictata after the first 100 pages.

It's starts interesting, but I'm sure you'll have read the prologue and the first chapter on waypoint, but after that it somewhat falls down to same as Glasslands and Thursday War. Karen Traviss does a better job at explaining why certain characters act like they do by expressing their opinions and thoughts better. But she keeps the "Halsey is a future Josef Mengele" intact, which is understandable from certain points of view. But it annoys me that those are the same times that there suddenly is no, or barely any, explanation as to why the character feels that way. It feels like the characters are hating on Halsey because they were told to by Paragonsky not because of their own reasons/opinions.
Karen Traviss did a good job in making Naomi doubt herself(for the lack of a better word) but sometimes she takes it a tiny it bit to far in my opinion.

That said I'm liking the setting she's created thus far with Naomi and her dad, Venezia and the people who live there. I'm interested to see what Karen Traviss has got in store in the rest of the book.

I'm interested in the spoilerish post-KILO5 story-nugget about a certain character whose name now appears on every Halo product.

http://www.microsoft-careers.com/jo...&utm_campaign=SNP_IEB_All_US_v-emilyd_twitter

far too late...for a series "relaunched" already a few years ago with the Halo : Evolutions compilation.

monome

So am I, I don't really want to read the book just for that.

me neither. so far Reddit is no help. maybe HaloGAF will prevail. I trust you fellow HaloGAFers. I'm just too broken inside after 343i replaced Sparth cover for Silentium to read 500 pages of shit and going-nowhere canon...

Omni

The book isn't even released here in Australia yet.

iTunes still says 1st of February. A few book stores that I've looked up online are saying the same thing... while others are saying it was released today. I really want an e-book version, so I guess I'll keep looking, eh. A bit frustrating

monome

iTunes still says 1st of February. A few book stores that I've looked up online are saying the same thing... while others are saying it was released today. I really want an e-book version, so I guess I'll keep looking, eh

Kindle version is out in France funnily...

You can't opt to amazon.com for kindle purchases? In france I can go back and forth between US/FR stores

iTunes still says 1st of February. A few book stores that I've looked up online are saying the same thing... while others are saying it was released today. I really want an e-book version, so I guess I'll keep looking, eh. A bit frustrating

Same here and same as always, so over country regions and restrictions for digital goods. The Aussie publisher's site Macmillan is down for maintenance too.

monome

LOOOOOOLLLLL

bought the book. don't look unless you saw my previous posts

not a fucking page that continues 343 GS² story..., it ends with a suicide note.

343i...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom