• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

So you fought bad kids in Reach on Cragmire? Congrats?

That was slightly entertaining, I will admit, though.
Wasn't aiming for people to be impressed, only entertained.

I really liked the post Karl. I miss those kind of updates.
Thanks, son. I miss them too.

hehehe I should also clarify, Cragmire is the worst pre-Halo 4 map. Settler is some terrible stuff. <3

Exactly if I wanted ADS I could go play a game that has it, it wouldn't work in halo at all.

So Karl's pictures tell us he killed someone with a grenade launcher, and a DMR. Is that it, or am I missing their purpose?
Their purpose is to entertain. Rather than fill a text box with a story, you add pictures to help the reader understand what is going on. Can't say it's any worse than 90% of the stuff posted in here.

its not a clique post shitting on Speedy or Funk. so its gotta be something right?
Oh, so that's what I do now. Considering I've quoted those two a combined 22 times over the course of like a year, we'll just assume all of them are incendiary and that I've got a hard on for HGS. Ugh.

I was going through my films and this one caught my eye because Settler is pretty bad and I was wondering what I could have done that warranted me not only saving it, but having it on my fileshare as well.

Glad I could entertain you.
Good stuff man. I didn't think that type of stuff happened in Halo 4. It seems like most of the "randomness" was programmed in instead of letting it happen naturally.

Wasn't that clear from the way 343i pushes the Spartan IVs among other things?

343 just wants to get rid of any traces of Bungie from "Their" Halo.
enemy redesigns
Weapon redesigns
perks
killstreaks
loadouts
sprint
Palmer/S-IVs
No mention of engineers aboard Infinity
Canon fuckery with the last few non-Forerunner books.
The list continues

Chettlar

Banned
Wasn't that clear from the way 343i pushes the Spartan IVs among other things?

I don't understand publisher's obsession with "making things our own" instead of, y' know, making things great because fans loved them that way. There's nothing inheritantly wrong with making things your own, but why must you go to such an extreme to erase so much of what made the franchise you're working on so beloved in the first place?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
enemy redesigns
Weapon redesigns
perks
killstreaks
loadouts
sprint
Palmer/S-IVs
The list continues

The EU Halo stuff is filled with elements you'd consider "Bungie Halo", and we haven't even seen Halo 5 yet - you're basing this on Halo 4. Spartan Assault also contains a lot of "Bungie Halo" too.

I'm not entirely happy with many of the elements 343 introduced, from the stupid re-designs, insulting SIV's and Palmer Binks, but it's pretty clear there's no secret conspiracy at 343 to remove "Bungie" from Halo.

Caayn

enemy redesigns
Weapon redesigns
perks
killstreaks
loadouts
sprint
Palmer/S-IVs
The list continues
Types "among other things." A minute or two later you post this :p Thanks for elaborating on that.
I don't understand publisher's obsession with "making things our own" instead of, y' know, making things great because fans loved them that way. There's nothing inheritantly wrong with making things your own, but why must you go to such an extreme to erase so much of what made the franchise you're working on so beloved in the first place?
Agree that there's nothing wrong with it till a certain degree. If you want more than that, just create your own universe instead of fucking an existing one over. But that's just my opinion, and in that same opinion 343i has crossed that line.

Chettlar

Banned
The EU Halo stuff is filled with elements you'd consider "Bungie Halo", and we haven't even seen Halo 5 yet - you're basing this on Halo 4. Spartan Assault also contains a lot of "Bungie Halo" too.

I'm not entirely happy with many of the elements 343 introduced, from the stupid re-designs, insulting SIV's and Palmer Binks, but it's pretty clear there's no secret conspiracy at 343 to remove "Bungie" from Halo.

I don't fully agree. Frankie and Holmes have both stated that they want to make Halo "their own." I agree that there's no great conspiracy to slow fade "Bungie Halo" out of existance, but at the same time, I think 343 is taking their desire to put a mark on the franchise too far.

Respect the IP, learn what makes it tick, and keep it going. That is 343's job. They didn't do such a great job with Halo 4 in that regard, but I'm still hopeful their learn from their first attempt and do better next time. Some say Frankie is just bluffing and really isn't "learning and humbled." I think he is, but either way we'll find out soon enough.

FyreWulff

hehehe I should also clarify, Cragmire is the worst pre-Halo 4 map. Settler is some terrible stuff. <3

I've gotten four complaints in the past week over it, I guess people are playing more Reach again now.

However, my policy is now "not my problem". There was a final update for it that increased the spawn times of vehicles and weapons by minutes, and made it so the lasers were on 3 minute spawns and didn't spawn at start. Plus other tweaks here and there.

Unfortunately, Reach updates were stopped with no warning for the Cartographers, so the update never got put in and they're never updating Reach again, so everyone's feedback about the map is entirely useless to me since the version I play on and the version everyone else is stuck with are vastly different.

BAMAN PIDERMAN!!!! omg somebody else knows what this is!
Or doesn't know and just found this gif and thought it was funny...

Someone introduced it to me earlier yesterday. That scene was unexpected and got a pretty good gut laugh out of me. So I had to make a GIF of it as a response, as it fit my reply perfectly :V

Fuchsdh

enemy redesigns
Weapon redesigns
perks
killstreaks
loadouts
sprint
Palmer/S-IVs
The list continues
Please explain your concept of the "canon fuckery" so I can demolish your arguments one by one.

Does anyone (feeling like Fyre or Wareh might) have some links to posts that look back at what made Halo fantastic and why Halo 4 and to a lesser degree reach failed to capture the greatness

I don't fully agree. Frankie and Holmes have both stated that they want to make Halo "their own." I agree that there's no great conspiracy to slow fade "Bungie Halo" out of existance, but at the same time, I think 343 is taking their desire to put a mark on the franchise too far.

Respect the IP, learn what makes it tick, and keep it going. That is 343's job. They didn't do such a great job with Halo 4 in that regard, but I'm still hopeful their learn from their first attempt and do better next time. Some say Frankie is just bluffing and really isn't "learning and humbled." I think he is, but either way we'll find out soon enough.

There is a lot to get right, kind of scary. Will they really have it in them to keep weapons around the map and power ups like old shooters? Kind of hard to imagine and it is what people want but you know how it is with these publishers.

Please explain your concept of the "canon fuckery" so I can demolish your arguments one by one.

ONI blaming everything on Halsey. when they conscripted orphans, and gave Halsey the Greenlight on the S-II program. Ackerson not getting any shit for the S-IIIs, Ackerson Kidnapping Kurt isnt as bad as Halsey kidnapping an INJURED Linda.

The Mortal Dictata states that the UNSC shouldn't flashclone entire beings. yet they let Halsey do it, Whilst neither party knew (according to Nylund) that the Flashclones would fail that fast.
The stigma of Cloning her OWN brain and creating Cortana from that. Yet it is implied that BB is just as smart as Cortana.

Go ahead, do what you want. your opinion != my problem.

Mistel

Banned
Their purpose is to entertain. Rather than fill a text box with a story, you add pictures to help the reader understand what is going on. Can't say it's any worse than 90% of the stuff posted in here.

we'll just assume all of them are incendiary and that I've got a hard on for HGS. Ugh.
Erection's and incendiary devices probably are a bad mix :p. I knew that they where to entertain, I was just wondering if i missed something. Like the spawns are bad or randoms die a lot.

Chettlar

Banned
There is a lot to get right, kind of scary. Will they really have it in them to keep weapons around the map and power ups like old shooters? Kind of hard to imagine and it is what people want but you know how it is with these publishers.

It is kind of scary to be honest, which is why I don't hate on 343 for what they did in Halo 4 -- especially when it is a very good game in it's own right.

I really hope they'll learn what makes Halo, Halo.

Plus, that "Halo 4 one year later" thread has some of the best criticism of a game in a thread I have seen in a long time. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Stinkles was in that thread too, so it's not like he hasn't been trying.

Does anyone (feeling like Fyre or Wareh might) have some links to posts that look back at what made Halo fantastic and why Halo 4 and to a lesser degree reach failed to capture the greatness
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737239&highlight=
Camo AA in H4. Nothing is a given for H5.

Mistel

Banned
I totally stole that link for that multiplayer thread thank you :D.

We understood our mistakes and now are giving everyone sniper's and camo at spawn, trust us, feel's like halo etc.

Speedy tag quote
No one will ever take speedy seriously anymore. it's just going to be his tag quoted in any gaming side thread.

It is kind of scary to be honest, which is why I don't hate on 343 for what they did in Halo 4 -- especially when it is a very good game in it's own right.

I really hope they'll learn what makes Halo, Halo.

Plus, that "Halo 4 one year later" thread has some of the best criticism of a game in a thread I have seen in a long time. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Stinkles was in that thread too, so it's not like he hasn't been trying.

The thing is i think they do know what makes Halo but they are scared it won't sell for some reason. They think it has to have what most modern shooters feature today. This applies to other developers too,not just 343.

Chettlar

Banned
The thing is i think they do know what makes Halo but they are scared it won't sell for some reason. They think it has to have what most modern shooters feature today. This applies to other developers too,not just 343.

Is this 343 who is scared, or Microsoft? I mean, I know they are pretty much one and the same, but publishers usually seem to be the ones in this industry who do that kind of stuff.

Perfect example: EA and Overstrike Fuse.

Then again, Insomniac said they switched over to Microsoft because MS was all for the vision they had...so, hm. Then again, maybe MS would act differently about Halo since it's their biggest franchise (a dude at MS said Halo was their biggest IP they own)?

Halo used to sell because of its name. Changing the gameplay to mirror CoD was a huge mistake that only led to a quicker decline in population.

What's going to keep the population around for ages with Halo 5 is providing players with better options to make it last longer; things like a CGB, better Forge or map editor, improved theater, more customization options like weapon damage sliders, etc.. Give more power to the players and you'll see greater interest in Halo's multiplayer.

Chettlar

Banned
Halo used to sell because of its name. Changing the gameplay to mirror CoD was a huge mistake that only led to a quicker decline in population.

What's going to keep the population around for ages with Halo 5 is providing players with better options to make it last longer; things like a CGB, better Forge or map editor, improved theater, more customization options like weapon damage sliders, etc.. Give more power to the players and you'll see greater interest in Halo's multiplayer.

Forge is actually going to be a big factor here. If you'll notice, the biggest games that last the longest as popular and often played, are the ones that allow for community involvement, usually by user-created content. Take Skyrim, take the source engine, take GTA IV, which isn't even a good game, but has lasted this long on PC (which was a horrible port, and thus made the game even worse) because of user-created content.

Forge really needs to be dealt with better. Making Forge world smaller and with fewer options was, quite frankly, a dumb idea.

If they were trying to make it accessible, they were doing it wrong. Making something accessable and easy to learn does not necessitate making it shallow and taking away features. It necessitates reworking how the game is taught, or how controls are arranged. A good UI can be the difference in something being mind-blowingly popular or dead in a day.

The simplest principle behind doing this is making basic controls obvious and at the front, and more complicated functions behind logically-designed submenus.

IHaveIce

Banned
In Search and Destroy does the enemy team get some king of notification/message when the enemy team is planting a bomb?

Don't know how it is in CoD, but it was always "Bomb has been armed" in Counter Strike and you would have to find out which bomb side they planted.

Don't know how it is in CoD, but it was always "Bomb has been armed" in Counter Strike and you would have to find out which bomb side they planted.

But what if they're in the procces of planting the bomb, do they get a bomb is being planted message?

I also didn't know it didn't specify which site is being planted, that sounds more interesting.

When they are arming the defense get no indication although I believe you can sound whore and hear the actual arming and it takes like 4.5 to arm I think and it's 7.5 to disarm I think. Once it's armed the other bomb site is no longer highlighted on HUD and it says bomb armed so it essentially tells you what site it was armed at and they get 45 seconds to kill defense. If the defense kills all offense they still have to defuse the bomb.

Fuchsdh

ONI blaming everything on Halsey. when they conscripted orphans, and gave Halsey the Greenlight on the S-II program. Ackerson not getting any shit for the S-IIIs, Ackerson Kidnapping Kurt isnt as bad as Halsey kidnapping an INJURED Linda.

The Mortal Dictata states that the UNSC shouldn't flashclone entire beings. yet they let Halsey do it, Whilst neither party knew (according to Nylund) that the Flashclones would fail that fast.
The stigma of Cloning her OWN brain and creating Cortana from that. Yet it is implied that BB is just as smart as Cortana.

Go ahead, do what you want. your opinion != my problem.

Well, your first problem is you aren't arguing canon here, you're arguing with characters' subjective points of view. Of course ONI isn't going to accept their share of the blame for Halsey, that's the entire point. Parangosky pretty neatly outlines her fiendish plan to Halsey in Glasslands; bury her somewhere, let her take the flak for the Spartan program's more unsavory aspects. It's easy to blame a dead woman. Do you think ONI as a whole cares one whit about their role in the Spartan Program? No, to them the ends justify the means, that's a point that's been hit in every. single. piece. of Halo fiction. Every one where ONI appears.
*First Strike: killing a defenseless Engineer because of the remote chance it could help the Covenant
*Mona Lisa: deliberately infecting human and Covenant prisoners with the Flood
*ODST: Extraction of an asset rather than repulsing an alien invasion.
*Ghost of Onyx: Hiding all knowledge of advanced alien life years before the Covenant were discovered, despite the fact that foreknowledge might have better prepared humanity
*Stomping On the Heels of a Fuss: Condemning a planet's population to death for the sake of gathering covert intelligence.
*Glasslands: arming the enemy to keep an entire race political unstable; contemplating committing genocide.
et al.

Ackerson kidnapping Kurt is completely different, because he wasn't trying to hide all of humanity's most potent weapons away from the fight; Ackerson was working (with the brass' approval) to bring Spartan-sized results in a cheaper package. From a propaganda standpoint, brave orphans avenging their parents' death also comes with more acceptable cachet.

As for them not knowing about the flashclone complications, they all knew, Halsey especially. From Nylund (2010):

Complications: Rapid flash cloning of immense volumes of tissue induces gross DNA base-pair errors [...] although a small fraction of clones are projected to live a normal lifespan, the average half-life of the physiology in toto is 14.7 weeks.

I've informed the vice admiral that we are initiating the next phase of the project: candidate procurement.

Halsey feeling guilt about her role:

All humanity would be served... even if a tiny handful of them had to suffer for it. Still, when she turned inward and faced her complicity in this--she was revolted by what she saw.
--Nylund (2001)

Your opinion is misinformed, or misremembered, and betrays an inability to closely read or understand the source material. Doing so isn't necessary; enjoy Halo for what you want. But to argue from a point of ignorance is idiotic, so do your research first.

Caayn

In CoD it doesn't tell you if the enemy is arming a bomb. You'll get a message when the enemy team has armed the bomb and a hud indicator to show you which site they planted it.

When they are arming the defense get no indication although I believe you can sound whore and hear the actual arming and it takes like 4.5 to arm I think and it's 7.5 to disarm I think. Once it's armed the other bomb site is no longer highlighted on HUD and it says bomb armed so it essentially tells you what site it was armed at and they get 45 seconds to kill defense. If the defense kills all offense they still have to defuse the bomb.

In CoD it doesn't tell you if the enemy is arming a bomb. You'll get a message when the enemy team has armed the bomb and a hud indicator to show you which site they planted it.

Thanks ;)

Gui_PT

Speedy I'm still your friend!!!!!

Hey since you work for Microsoft, do you have any Microsoft Points you could give me? I really want to get Mass Effect DLC but I ain't got no shizz

Thanks Speedy we BFFs

Mistel

Banned
Speedy must be raking it in with the EA stuff as well. share the wealth speedy :p.

I'm debating a nostalgia purchase of another copy of operation genesis but is expensive for the PC one :'(.

TheOddOne

I'm confused. He literally answered the OP's question. Or am I missing something?

Microsoft isn't the worst company ever, nor is EA. It seems fairly obvious to me that this astroturfing is prevalent in many areas, not just with these 2 companies. The people who accept these contracts are no better.
Mods have been very clear that they don't want a survey like answer. Don't say anything or say it with at least some kind of argument.

HaloMLK_zpsdd5dc457.jpg

Hope.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I'm confused. He literally answered the OP's question. Or am I missing something?

Microsoft isn't the worst company ever, nor is EA. It seems fairly obvious to me that this astroturfing is prevalent in many areas, not just with these 2 companies. The people who accept these contracts are no better.

First world problems.

Even from the perspective of a consumer, there is worse out there, but this being a gaming forum, we tend to skew things towards.... gaming. It's not surprising.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Mods have been very clear that they don't want a survey like answer. Don't say anything or say it with at least some kind of argument.
Ah, okay. That makes sense

I will always love you Halo. 5ever
First world problems.

Even from the perspective of a consumer, there is worse out there, but this being a gaming forum, we tend to skew things towards.... gaming. It's not surprising.

Oh yeah, definitely. Even in the gaming side of things, this pales in comparison to stuff like Simcity, the atrocities of Foxconn, etc. I just hate to see stuff like this, even when I'd love to look away. This is a for-profit industry, just like every other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom