• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Have we talked about how awesome the Iowa Hawkeyes are in this thread? Anyone that'd disagree?

In CoD it doesn't tell you if the enemy is arming a bomb. You'll get a message when the enemy team has armed the bomb and a hud indicator to show you which site they planted it.

Makes sense, if there are multiple arm sites.. telling you the bomb is being armed is somewhat useless.

Mistel

Banned
Jen Selter, thank me later.
we-re-not-worthy-waynes-world-o.gif

Oh my, Kyle has good taste.

Karl2177

Have we talked about how awesome the Iowa Hawkeyes are in this thread? Anyone that'd disagree?
Ew.

I've gotten four complaints in the past week over it, I guess people are playing more Reach again now.

However, my policy is now "not my problem". There was a final update for it that increased the spawn times of vehicles and weapons by minutes, and made it so the lasers were on 3 minute spawns and didn't spawn at start. Plus other tweaks here and there.

Unfortunately, Reach updates were stopped with no warning for the Cartographers, so the update never got put in and they're never updating Reach again, so everyone's feedback about the map is entirely useless to me since the version I play on and the version everyone else is stuck with are vastly different.

That stinks.

I don't want to post in those other stupid threads about the whole Microsoft thing, so I'll ask this here. Honest question:

How is Microsoft paying people to make promotional videos any different than just regular marketing? How is it bad? Isn't that how marketing works? A marketing firm (or department within a company) gets paid to present the product and talk it up. It seems totally logical to me.

Now if the contract was like, "We'll pay you if you say negative things about Sony" then I can understand why people would be so upset.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't want to post in those other stupid threads about the whole Microsoft thing, so I'll ask this here. Honest question:

How is Microsoft paying people to make promotional videos any different than just regular marketing? How is it bad? Isn't that how marketing works? A marketing firm (or department within a company) gets paid to present the product and talk it up. It seems totally logical to me.

Now if the contract was like, "We'll pay you if you say negative things about Sony" then I can understand why people would be so upset.

I'd guess it is not perceived as actual advertising.

Tawpgun

I think most people are upset about how shady they're being with the whole "You can't tell anyone we're paying you." thing. They're basically trying to create the illusion that everyday people are loving the xbone and producing POSITIVE content for Xbone related things on their own accord.

It starts to blur the lines between marketing and bribery. I'm sure other companies have done similar things, but since this is GAF its gotta be about videogames

But what if they're in the procces of planting the bomb, do they get a bomb is being planted message?

I also didn't know it didn't specify which site is being planted, that sounds more interesting.

No in Harcode, well now yes on Ghosts core settings A or B starts to blink in the process of being armed which ruins the mode and defenders have more chances of C4 camping the bases.

But it really specify which Intel is armed

I think most people are upset about how shady they're being with the whole "You can't tell anyone we're paying you." thing. They're basically trying to create the illusion that everyday people are loving the xbone and producing POSITIVE content for Xbone related things on their own accord.

It starts to blur the lines between marketing and bribery. I'm sure other companies have done similar things, but since this is GAF its gotta be about videogames

I can understand that to a degree. It is a little deceptive. I hadn't thought about the secrecy clause that was in it.

I guess I just really don't get up in arms about these kinds of things lol.

unf

The difference here is that there is no room for criticism, even constructive. Despite an element of neutrality being listed, from what we can tell, Machinima participators largely have to keep facts neutral and opinions saccharine - that's the problem. Other companies might lie or skew facts in their favor, but Microsoft is directly manipulating the human element of reception in this case. For example, let's say the Dreamcast has a contract where the opposite is true - they have to keep facts positive or neutral, and opinions can be whatever.

"The Dreamcast sold 200,000 units this quarter! It may not be the likes of which you'd expect with, say, Sony, but we're still trucking along."

The bolded indicates a variable statement made by a human and not a sales tracker. Now let's flip that and use the Microchinima agreement:

"Modified fair usage policies have resulted in a viewer loss rate of approximately 640% compared to last month. By extension, alterations of Microsoft privacy policies have rendered direct game-capture footage via third-party hardware void as per legal standards. A dropoff of roughly 38% has occurred in original content. We think HALO: The Forgotten Spartans and Bergie The Elite are radical!"

It's a subtle difference on the surface, for sure, but the implications are that Microsoft's deliberately taking the human element out of the equation so that the only way they can get fucked over is in a statistical sense.

Ominym

Banned

Aren't you from Nebraska? You're making us all look bad. Stop it.

All the recent revelations in Halo lore make me really sad I ever honestly gave a shit about it in the first place.

FyreWulff

That stinks.

Also, Heavies was supposed to be something that showed up on the post-veto screen in the third slot kind of deal.

If I had known they were going to take away objective being locked into the second slot of BTB and make Heavies show up as much as it did, I think everyone involved at the time would have told 343 "no, don't do that", especially since objective Heavies wasn't going to be a thing. The parameters the Heavies maps were curated/made under were different than what they ended up being.

Aren't you from Nebraska? You're making us all look bad. Stop it.

Just ribbing Cyclone, I imagine he'll get me back once he returns :lol

Also, Heavies was supposed to be something that showed up on the post-veto screen in the third slot kind of deal.

If I had known they were going to take away objective being locked into the second slot of BTB and make Heavies show up as much as it did, I think everyone involved at the time would have told 343 "no, don't do that", especially since objective Heavies wasn't going to be a thing. The parameters the Heavies maps were curated/made under were different than what they ended up being.

Depressing... hopefully they learned their lesson about listening to the people who know their games and how they actually, you know, should.

I didn't mind heavies showing up a lot anyway. Big team was always epic fuck around who cares time to me anyway, and anything that reduced the incidence of Hemorrhage was fine with me after a while.

I would love the Xbone if I had some fucking games to play.

Which games do you have? I've been rotating between FIFA, ACIV, KI, Forza and a sprinkling of SA. ACIV is huge and I've been playing it 1-2.5 hours every other night with still only 44% through. I've steered clear of BF for now but I want to pick that up soon. I'm nowhere in Forza or FIFA as ACIV is just sucking me in, that Pirate feeling, sailing and exploration is too good.

The MS thing doesn't bother me in the slightest, those worried about integrity should be the ones not going for MS dollars and just speaking their minds to gain respect within the industry (if it's such a big deal). In the world of corporate espionage, head hunting, NDA's, marketing tactics and all that it's just a modern day paid viral ad campaign. Big deal.

FyreWulff

Depressing... hopefully they learned their lesson about listening to the people who know their games and how they actually, you know, should.

I didn't mind heavies showing up a lot anyway. Big team was always epic fuck around who cares time to me anyway, and anything that reduced the incidence of Hemorrhage was fine with me after a while.

Heavies should be obtainable without needing a genie's lamp, that's for sure, but it's essentially still in "we just introduced it, so it's weight is really high" mode, like when gametypes/maps usually get introduced. Halo 3 has similar issues with matchmaking, where Mythic 2 is extremely weighted in certain playlists.

edit: and Blastacular in Halo 2 after it stopped being updated, so I guess we can just officially call this a tradition now.

I'm sure Ghosts gets old after a while.

Hey. I own Battlefield 4, Don't Starve, Contrast, and Resogun.

Stuff got boring and don't give me any desire to play.

Strange, Forza, DR and KI are more than enough. Ryse is pretty good too.

I bought my Xbox One for Forza and I already raged quit with Forza. I have already hit the roadblock I hit in every Forza game where I just can't beat this race and don't want to play anymore, because I fucking want to beat this race but I can't. Same thing happened in Horizon, and Motorsport 4.

Not even too upset, got 31 hours out of the game so far. Whenever I feel like trying to beat this race again, I'll continue playing. Prague is so damn good.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So I'd like to get the ball rolling on this Halo 2 PC re-population day. I'm totally open to ideas and help if you guys want to. Here are some things that I've been tossing around:

-Have it take place on the weekend, a Saturday most likely.
-Create a HaloGAF.com post that contains every bit of info that people will need
-Create a graphic that contains important information(Halo 2 PC, re-population, where they can find all the data, where they can buy the game if they want) that can be easily shared on Twitter/Facebook or other sites (I think this will be the most important part of it)
-Thinking to maybe have a trailer to go along with the announcement.

I'd like to also share the information and graphic with other Halo sites before we announce it to make it the news of the day type of deal (HBO, Beyond, Waypoint, RUL etc). I think this could be a lot of fun if we do it correctly.

If successful, we can make this a reoccurring event (Once a month or something). It'd also be nice to have some post event coverage like videos, articles and interviews/impressions.

Thoughts?

belushy

Banned
Murder Miners still not greenlit... I crazy how apparently they were in the top 100 4 months ago and still keep falling out of it. You guys should vote for it if you haven't already.

Peggle 2 and Killer Instinct.

PEGGLE INSTINCT.

Also, just throwing it out there: if we get third-party characters from first-party Microsoft properties in Killer Instinct, what if fucking Chief managed to become a fighter? The combo style, the crazily heavy-hitting style along with the maelstrom of particle effects would be perfect for a Halo rep.

Seriously. :( I haven't touched my PS4 in like a month because of the lack of games, and my Xbox One has officially became the "Peggle 2 Box". March needs to come out already so I can play Second Son and TitanFall.

To be fair, I owned a Halo Theft Autobox 360 for all of last gen.

Chettlar

Banned
Thanks Zeouter, now that I remember it was the RvB video with Sarg singing their little theme saying, "November 6th".

Wondering what they've got planned for us this year? Hopefully not disappointment.

I could do with another video of Sarg singing.

Maybe have something about how Sarg wants to make up another song, but they're all like "No, that didn't work last time" kind of thing and then just be RvB being RvB.

Chettlar

Banned
343 patch Spartan Ops so i dont have to be gold to play the content SOLO that is on my hard drive

How about patch it so that I don't have to be connected to the internet at all to play the content SOLO that is on my hard drive.

Frustrating to no end, and it doesn't make a bit of sense.

How about patch it so that I don't have to be connected to the internet at all to play the content SOLO that is on my hard drive.

Frustrating to no end, and it doesn't make a bit of sense.

thats pretty much what i want. i mean shit, the content is already on our hard drives. all the internet is for is the CGI cutscene things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom