• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
no PM needed I bleieve.

In Thursday WAR :

343 GS² takes control of a UNSC ship,post Halo 3, and goes looking for a certain Forerunner lady

In Mortal DICTATA :

it'sfuckingnothing.gif

Oh, I thought you meant there was something new in MD regarding that. Already knew about that old stuff.

I now understand kylej's yoga pants obsession. Gotdayum.

It's all the girls wear in class and it's all the women wear at work. And I'm one of only three males in the entire company of ~40 people. It truly is heaven on earth.

Jen Selter, thank me later.

nero1j0c06.gif

RIP another huge mexican fanbase game

Dom was such a good character. And I'm not even joking. While he said some stereotypical shit every once in a while, for the most part he was one of the better presented Hispanic characters in a video game in quite a while, IMO.

I know for one that my cousins absolutely loved him.

And shotgun battles in Gears are unparalleled. Even after all this time I hop onto Gears 1 every once in a while just to do some 1v1 gnasher battles on gridlock.

Tawpgun

How do you know that guy is really from ubi? Also didn't 343 did something like this when frank wrote that letter to the fans?

I mean something with more details. More honest and upfront. I'm sure that Frankie letter was honest to a degree. They definitely learned from the game.

But I wanna know the good stuff. Why did they scrap their classic halo build? Why were so many options removed? Why was the randomness of the game considered a good decisions, whats with the sloppy launch the DLC fiasco?

Fuchsdh

strongly.
Channeling serious Frankie there.

I mean something with more details. More honest and upfront. I'm sure that Frankie letter was honest to a degree. They definitely learned from the game.

But I wanna know the good stuff. Why did they scrap their classic halo build? Why were so many options removed? Why was the randomness of the game considered a good decisions, whats with the sloppy launch the DLC fiasco?

We already know most of that. They scrapped the early Halo build because they believed (and rightly, I think, at least from an initial sales/critical reception standpoint, if not the longevity and fan standpoint) that it was more of the same and they wanted to make something that stood out more in the series. Options got removed out of a time crunch, and presumably since they talked about it so early things like the first TU were simply things that didn't meet the deadline for ship.

Channeling serious Frankie there.

We already know most of that. They scrapped the early Halo build because they believed (and rightly, I think, at least from an initial sales/critical reception standpoint, if not the longevity and fan standpoint) that it was more of the same and they wanted to make something that stood out more in the series. Options got removed out of a time crunch, and presumably since they talked about it so early things like the first TU were simply things that didn't meet the deadline for ship.

That's weird, how they felt it was more of the same and then they also said that it feels like halo?

Caayn

Sorry of this upsets some of you but what the actual fuck 343i/Karen Traviss! What were you thinking when you thought it was a good idea to let a Spartan II think that their program was bad after the entire war.
"But she knew that what happened to her and her family had been criminal, unthinkable," -Naomi
This single line managed to completely piss me off. She's a Spartan II she should know how important the program has been to ensure the continuation of mankind, and that there were no real alternatives.
/rant

Ominym

Banned
I eagerly await the intro of Halo 5, where the UNSC chases Master Chief into a windmill and set it on fire like Frankenstein's monster.

IHaveIce

Banned
Sorry of this upsets some of you but what the actual fuck 343i/Karen Traviss! What were you thinking when you thought it was a good idea to let a Spartan II think that their program was bad after the entire war.
"But she knew that what happened to her and her family had been criminal, unthinkable," -Naomi
This single line managed to completely piss me off. She's a Spartan II she should know how important the program has been to ensure the continuation of mankind, and that there were no real alternatives.
/rant
Can we please go back to the old style of books and game narrative? :(

Sai-kun

Banned
no PM needed I bleieve.

In Thursday WAR :

343 GS² takes control of a UNSC ship,post Halo 3, and goes looking for a certain Forerunner lady

In Mortal DICTATA :

it'sfuckingnothing.gif

Lolllllll are you serious dude?? I'd be pissed

heckfu

Banned
I wonder if H5 will be at PAX.

PAX Prime it's almost a certainty (I have nothing to base this off of except proximity to release and the fact that 343 put on a big floor show for halo 4 and they're based in washington [same as pax!])

monome

I had a dream.

In my dream, Titanfall X1 got exlusive DLC that brought Spartan/ODST skins to the game thus realizing MS true vision for Halo to be a series of humans hating on humans.

I had a dream.

In my dream, Titanfall X1 got exlusive DLC that brought Spartan/ODST skins to the game thus realizing MS true vision for Halo to be a series of humans hating on humans.

Titanfall is actually set pre human covenant war. With prototype mech suits used to fight the insurrectionist.

/canon

no PM needed I bleieve.

In Thursday WAR :

In Mortal DICTATA :

it'sfuckingnothing.gif

The former takes place in Greg Bear's Primordium and is never discussed in Karen Travis' The Thursday War, IIRC. As for Mortal Dictata, I am on Chapter 3.

monome

Titanfall is actually set pre human covenant war. With prototype mech suits used to fight the insurrectionist.

/canon

for once I'm not quoted as crazy. thank you!!!!

The former takes place in Greg Bear's Primordium and is never discussed in Karen Travis' The Thursday War, IIRC. As for Mortal Dictata, I am on Chapter 3.

Yes. it's been pointed yesterday. I stand corrected. Truth be told, Thursday War was a drag, and I fantasised 343i had the glorious idea of adding a little snippet of the future of Halo in its epilogue. Proves again and again, that for all its faults ( un-gamable Universe) Bears's trilogy had at least a during effect on me, whereas Traviss's will be remembered for being a boring unfullfilling shit canon fest.

I bought but won't read Mortal Dictata. I'm not eager to know more about the dark corners of the Halo Universe.

Ancillary Justice proved to me I didn't have to read through unfullfilling books to support female sci-fi writers. and that Halos be damned, my interest lies in space and far-reaching Humanities (plurals) rather than petty, yet conceivable, power plays.

I want my pink back.

343N

Neo Member
halo2pc.png

remember this?
it's been extended for almost a year now
they would have shut it down ages ago if they actually were, because it's 20 gosh darn people at peak times, why the hell would they keep it up this long. because they're doing stuff, dur.

they're being a bit quiet about it too
asdfgfghh.png

wwm0nkey

halo2pc.png

remember this?
it's been extended for almost a year now
they would have shut it down ages ago if they actually were, because it's 20 gosh darn people at peak times, why the hell would they keep it up this long. because they're doing stuff, dur.

they're being a bit quiet about it too
asdfgfghh.png

They are keeping it up because GFWL is going out this year and taking any game on the service with it. No need for them to pull the plug when Microsoft will be doing that soon anyways.

343N

Neo Member
They are keeping it up because GFWL is going out this year and taking any game on the service with it. No need for them to pull the plug when Microsoft will be doing that soon anyways.

but last year they said there'll be an update and said it in a way that good things are going to happen
optimism%20is%20key%20to%20winning%20everything%20in%20life%2C%20optimism%20is%20key%20for%20ruining%20your%20wife.png

what are they gonna say? 'no need for tissues cause ur gonna need towels we're shutting down halo 1 aswell'

and after that they said this
Eo29eCg.png

and now they're saying
asdfgfghh.png

soo

Just went out and bought Mortal Dictata.

Time to reaaaaad

Haven't been following HaloGAF too religiously, but I didn't realize the third Kilo-Five book was coming out this seen. I'll pick it up eventually, although I'm a bit soured on the direction the universe was going with H4 story direction.

Madness

I know, not your intention, but the fact that many fans listening to this instantly pick up that it's Halo shows the power of music of the original trilogy, and why I'd have preferred some kind of throwback to the music of the old games, monks especially.

It's like when you watch a new Star Wars movie and don't hear the opening fanfare of John Williams theme. I've listened to the Halo 3 warthog run theme like 8x in the past two weeks for some reason.

I know, not your intention, but the fact that many fans listening to this instantly pick up that it's Halo shows the power of music of the original trilogy, and why I'd have preferred some kind of throwback to the music of the old games, monks especially.

It's like when you watch a new Star Wars movie and don't hear the opening fanfare of John Williams theme. I've listened to the Halo 3 warthog run theme like 8x in the past two weeks for some reason.

Yup.

It's fine the choose to go their own direction with the music, but Halo's themes are iconic and their complete absence was disappointing. Could you imagine if Star Wars 7 didn't feature any iconic themes, or if Jurassic World ignores its musical history?

I really hope Halo 5 will revisit some themes from past Halo titles while also building upon the new ones of Halo 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom