• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup.

It's fine the choose to go their own direction with the music, but Halo's themes are iconic and their complete absence was disappointing. Could you imagine if Star Wars 7 didn't feature any iconic themes, or if Jurassic World ignores its musical history?

I really hope Halo 5 will revisit some themes from past Halo titles while also building upon the new ones of Halo 4.

Agreed, though Marty's work will forever reign supreme, Davidge and Jinnouchi did some awesome work like To Galaxy and 117. 117 is probably one of my favorite pieces from the Halo universe period. I need to hear the theme to be back though, it truly screams to the player, "THIS IS HALO."

Can we please go back to the old style of books and game narrative? :(

Well in a strange turn of events ONI allowed Naomi to check their confidential Bio about her past life and how ONI allowed her father to be a criminal so I wont be surprised their spartans IVs will go berserkers and betray the UNSC by giving them so much free will ...oh wait.

I dont remember so well but S-IIs had a directive to not harm any ONI officers like Robocop with any OCP representative.

TCKaos

Did anyone ever post this? Someone built PrinzEugn's BR.

1521925_10152095565040956_1683450126_n.jpg

Mistel

Banned
Well in a strange turn of events ONI allowed Naomi to check their confidential Bio about her past life and how ONI allowed her father to be a criminal so I wont be surprised their spartans IVs will go berserkers and betray the UNSC by giving them so much free will ...oh wait.
Does Scruggs have a reason for what he did, or is it not explained?

That looks more like those guns on ghosts of onyx cover than a BR.

Perfect response hahah
In march I'll probably by the new dark souls (and get past like the 2nd boss and realize I suck and never finish it like the 1st) and Ground Zero's as well.
Rent/Borrow?
I know, not your intention, but the fact that many fans listening to this instantly pick up that it's Halo shows the power of music of the original trilogy, and why I'd have preferred some kind of throwback to the music of the old games, monks especially.

It's like when you watch a new Star Wars movie and don't hear the opening fanfare of John Williams theme. I've listened to the Halo 3 warthog run theme like 8x in the past two weeks for some reason.
100% agree. I think there needs to be a push for the nostalgic parts of Halo to return for Halo 5 (along with Microsoft tapping into Rare's IP's). They need to tap into that potential to grab as many people for Xbox One; ~$600 for Halo 5 is a lot of money if you don't already have it.
Hire Eugn.

TheXbox

I think it's amazing that after all these years people are streaming and watching Halo 3 on twitch by the hundreds every single day. Goddamn I miss that game...

Ghazi

Since we're talking about the Halo books, I remember last year I used the third book in Greg Bear's Forerunner trilogy as the subject for an essay and just got a 100 because the teacher didn't know what the hell I was talking about lol.

Also, that sudd picture. My man, I need to talk to him about joining his competitive Halo team next Saturday Kappa.

Since we're talking about the Halo books, I remember last year I used the third book in Greg Bear's Forerunner trilogy as the subject for an essay and just got a 100 because the teacher didn't know what the hell I was talking about lol.

Also, that sudd picture. My man, I need to talk to him about joining his competitive Halo team next Saturday Kappa.
I used Halo:Glasslands as my book for my Book report in Junior year, and even though it fit all the requirements and such for the report, I got a 0/100 because it was about a fucking video game.

I was salty, and quickly bs'd my way into writing a report on The Hunger Games, and that got me an A-.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I used Halo:Glasslands as my book for my Book report in Junior year, and even though it fit all the requirements and such for the report, I got a 0/100 because it was about a fucking video game.

I was salty, and quickly bs'd my way into writing a report on The Hunger Games, and that got me an A-.

What did you say about the people-wolves?

derFeef

I gave a lecture about Half-Life once, got top grade.
They are just biased ;)

IHaveIce

Banned

Tell your teacher "Fuck you " from me.

A book is a book, Especially the Greg Bear books are more dry and need attention than most of the other books young teens read nowadays.

I did a book presentation about "The Face of Death" by Cody McFadyen once and wrote on board the sentences the murderer wrote on the walls of his victims with blood as decoration.

I got scolded but still got an A, also got an A+ for doing a comparision presentation about "1984" and "Brave New World"

Damn I miss school, life was easy as shit back then. (Said the young guy :( )

EDIT: Wait I just saw Ghazi did a Greg Bear book, you did a Karen Traviss one, you deserved the 0/100, your teacher is #teamHalsey

Tawpgun

Jesus christ speedy.

You too Ghazi!

Chettlar

Banned
What did you say about the people-wolves?

Where have you been, bro?

Aw yiss. He actually emailed me about it a few weeks ago but never formally gave me permission to post the pics here there and everywhere so I didn't. Really, really cool. Here's his deviantart: http://elitedark.deviantart.com/

Here are the original drawings for reference:

This is amazing and should be in Halo.

I think it does fantastic job of looking new and refined (since the Halo 3 BR didn't look all that great tbh), without looking like a completely different gun, like in Halo 4.

Genius. 10/10 Would shoot with.

Frankie, put it in Halo.

EDIT: that weird feeling you get that tells you you're going to get top of the page.

---

I have a question for those of you guys here who write music. Do you recommend uploading to soundcloud or Youtube? I don't care about view; I just like to be able to show people stuff when they ask.

What kind of Book Report? Glasslands is good, but it's a bit thin, especially if it were to stand on its own without any context for the greater Universe, as it might have to in a typical book report.
Still, you got the A in the end :).
Could be worse, I did one on Lolita.
Good choice.

I have a question for those of you guys here who write music. Do you recommend uploading to soundcloud or Youtube? I don't care about view; I just like to be able to show people stuff when they ask.

I started with youtube because I didn't know soundcloud existed. People found my music pretty quick and I'm up to 290 or so subscribers now. I have a soundcloud, but I don't feel like anything ever happens with it. Youtube's just a bigger audience I think, and I have gotten numerous messages from people on youtube saying "Can I use X song in my Y video?". With that and people linking back to eachothers channels with annotations, it serves as a pretty good network.

And if you don't care at ALL about views, youtube still works just fine for that...

Youtube allows better exposure, but Soundcloud obviously has better Audio quality, and better tools for those who know what they're doing.

heckfu

Banned
please stop with that picture.

I just pulled up gaf at my desk and there weren't enough words to explain adequately to the pharmacist that sits next to me just what was going on.

edit: and then he asked me why there was a hamburger suit on the screen. cheddar strikes again.

Fuchsdh

I just pulled up gaf at my desk and there weren't enough words to explain adequately to the pharmacist that sits next to me just what was going on.

edit: and then he asked me why there was a hamburger suit on the screen. cheddar strikes again.

To be fair, he could have that reaction to a lot of HaloGAF pages.

Soundcloud for short term, Bandcamp for long term, Youtube for advertising. Soundcloud's a good place for quick and dirty uploads of all shapes and sizes (like my shitty halo covers), while Bandcamp's better for albums with a more concrete vision in mind (like my upcoming Livechamber suites or Jellycrackers' collections), while also having the capacity to be profitable. For musicians, Youtube's good for music videos, preview snippets, partnership announcements, etc.

Soundcloud's also versatile enough to work on anything from a smartphone to a barngate potato.

Also sudd looks like the kind of guy to brag about jizzing in your Subway sandwich on Instagram and gets fired because of it, jesus

Ghazi

Didn't they at least put unforgotten at the credits though?

They did (aka Never Forget Midnight Version), and I really liked it, which is why I think they should've stuck Kazuma Jinnouchi as lead composer for the soundtrack, everything I've heard from him I've liked. Neil Davidge wasn't bad either, but his music was mixed terribly with the game (something to this day I think is possible for them to patch, and they should have done so around launch when balance patches came out, it's not worth the time or money now).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Give me the music & monk chants from the first Halo reveal, the heart pumping synapse cryo waking up and flying through the ship one. Seriously the best and darkest monks for me, skip to the end for a listen
That trailer gives me shivers. Such an awesome teaser. I loved watching it live and suddenly realizing it was for Halo. It's right up there with Starry Night as far as I'm concerned.

Fuchsdh

thidh.5054314419390500isch.jpg

I didn't understand his plan. No wiping utensils, no running water, and there was a portable shitter right down the street.

"To prooove you're a man, you must wipe it with your hand, to proooove you're a man"

(It just occurred to me I've never seen Bonanza and thus have no idea where I got this reference from. But it's moderately relevant.)

Some people seem to think a jackel killed Kat. The monks need to make a return.

My issue with Kat's death is not that it's so sudden, it's that it seems to break the laws of the game by having a single shot take her out (their shields aren't crackling after the blast so it doesn't seem obvious they were taken out by an EMP, if that was the rationale.) It's not as bad as, say, Nathan Drake absorbing bullets in gameplay and then being afraid of a six-shooter in the cinematics, but it throws you for a curve.

I've heard mutterings that the Elite that kills her was intended to the be the same field marshal you encounter in Winter Contingency and he was supposed to essentially be Noble's nemesis, but unfortunately I've never gotten firm confirmation on that. Either way you can barely tell it's an Elite in the shot.

Caayn

Some people seem to think a jackel killed Kat. The monks need to make a return.
There are still people who believe that the sun orbits around the earth.
My issue with Kat's death is not that it's so sudden, it's that it seems to break the laws of the game by having a single shot take her out (their shields aren't crackling after the blast so it doesn't seem obvious they were taken out by an EMP, if that was the rationale.) It's not as bad as, say, Nathan Drake absorbing bullets in gameplay and then being afraid of a six-shooter in the cinematics, but it throws you for a curve.

I've heard mutterings that the Elite that kills her was intended to the be the same field marshal you encounter in Winter Contingency and he was supposed to essentially be Noble's nemesis, but unfortunately I've never gotten firm confirmation on that. Either way you can barely tell it's an Elite in the shot.
There's and always will be a difference between gameplay damage/health and cinematic damage/health for obvious reasons. Uncharted, for example, wouldn't be very fun to play if a single bullet could kill Nathan
don't like Uncharted either way
Although it does remain strange that Kat is killed with one shot with what seems to me like a needle rifle shot. Which shouldn't even have penetrated her shields in a single shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom