• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Stock had a 6:20 normal and Chappified has 6:17 for a normal run, so you probably do have the record now Shifty (as per High Speed Halo).

I don't know what it is, after CE and Halo 2, I just couldn't do speed runs for fun anymore. I mean I'll do the level using runners' tricks but it was more to get achievements or do commendations or beat it. I hate the gamer I've become. Barely play, spend more time talking about games than playing.

Watching your vid now though.

heckfu

Banned
So I got kind of bored today and decided I was going to try and speedrun some Halo 3. (never done a speedrun in my entire life) So I was watching some videos of Sierra 117 on Normal and decided to give it a shot. A few hours pass and I still hadn't managed to get a decent run in, but I was kind of addicted at that point. In the end I managed a 6:13. Kind of lucked it with the flare from the brute at the end. Was the first time I had gotten a flare and i didn't have to resort to using the hammer which was nice.

Anyway here is the vid is anyone wants to have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceAwDiye7eI&feature=youtu.be

Also couldn't find a faster recorded time so WR...maybe?

Nice video!

So many memories, man. I remember watching the diorama ad like 30 times with my roommate (when I was living in the fraternity house in college) and convinced a whole bunch of people to go to Best Buy with me for the midnight launch. We loaded up an old couch into a truck with some lawn chairs and sat outside in line with some, er, sodas and cigars. The local news was actually doing a piece on the midnight launch as I guess it was a pretty new thing at the time (and my parents caught me with the cigar...which is another story).

ANYWAY, we all went back to the house and about 20 guys filtered in and out throughout the night while I stayed up to beat the game. Halo 3 may not have been my favorite campaign, but the first level is probably one of the best intros to a game out there.

I need some Halo news, seriously.

sudotomised_zps60ebad05.png

There's a man that can make all this go away.

Aaaaaaaaaanyway, here's a sud getting a killtac

http://www.twitch.tv/suddoth2/c/3550310

Button combos and super bouncing are probably fine to keep, map breakouts probably not. Couldn't make more backlash than 4 did.
I completely forgot about super bouncing in H2! That was one thing I never liked. I remember having some really frustrating games on Burial Mounds and Zanzibar due to people getting on top of the map and just hiding there the whole game.

Shyamalanalmayaln.jpg
images

wwm0nkey

So I'm playing Halo 2 with my semi-new wired controller and... wow. 60fps is amazing. I honestly didn't notice much difference between 60fps and 30fps before while using mouse and keyboard, but now with the controller it's great. Everything is so smooth. Makes me excited for Halo 5.

Anyway. Is there a way to break out of the level and take a picture of this without all the obstructions?

Did you use the Frame unlocker with DSfix and borderless window mode? Shit is amazing with KB+M when it actually works (which is only in windowed mode for some reason)

Just wait until you try 120FPS on a 120hz monitor with Lightboost on, shit will change your life.

monome

;-)

see that works. Praise the Mighty.
maidbow.gif

so pretty much assured Bungie, a multiplat independent stuido is bigger than MS cash cow machine.

That should tell you :
1/ nothing
2/ 343i is possibly hyper optimized.
3/ 343i is possibly not yet capable of pumping either great Halo games that will define next-gen, or a mix of big/medium/small games released on an annual schedule.

I would love a more detailed picture on how staff is divided between these two, soon to be competing for my $, studios.

Mistel

Banned
I completely forgot about super bouncing in H2! That was one thing I never liked. I remember having some really frustrating games on Burial Mounds and Zanzibar due to people getting on top of the map and just hiding there the whole game.
Not that I ever did that,
well not often
. Getting outside the map is probably worse than hiding from people, Nebula remember when we hid in at the back of bone yard?

:lol

I'm just as capricious, but nowhere near as insane in real life.

I'm probably more insane than I come off as in here. My personality is a weird balance of insanity/quirkiness mixed being a smooth mother-fucker, so I can function really well in social settings sometimes, and just be the weirdest guy you would ever meet. Girls apparently love that shit, or me idk it's weird.

Caayn

Not that I ever did that,
well not often
. Getting outside the map is probably worse than hiding from people, Nebula remember when we hid in at the back of bone yard?
For multiplayer matches I agree but for singleplayer(both campaign/screwing around in MP maps) getting out of the map is awesome.

Omni

I miss the Flood... if only because they were aggressive and would rush you constantly. I'd really like to see them return in Halo 5.

b6ad.gif

I was only playing on Heroic in the .gif above so I didn't take much damage, but you see what I mean. If I recall correctly, most of Halo 4 you'd just pop in and out of cover while shooting at awfully designed AI. I guess to an extent Crawlers would rush at you and Knights would occasionally teleport or whatever, but overall they were pretty damn boring to fight. More of an annoyance than something that's actually fun. (The whole bullet sponge aspect didn't help either)

I will admit that the ranged pure forms in Halo 3 were a pain in the ass (Not unbeatable, just frustrating) and the addition of a melee that could kill the Flood ruined combat forms. But Halo CE and H2 got them right, IMO.

Did you use the Frame unlocker with DSfix and borderless window mode? Shit is amazing with KB+M when it actually works (which is only in windowed mode for some reason)

Just wait until you try 120FPS on a 120hz monitor with Lightboost on, shit will change your life.

Honestly, that's the first I've ever heard of it!

I'm always playing full screen though. I can't get immersed if I can see bits of my desktop around the edges or whatever

Fuchsdh

I miss the Flood... if only because they were aggressive and would rush you constantly. I'd really like to see them return in Halo 5.

b6ad.gif

I was only playing on Heroic in the .gif above so I didn't take much damage, but you see what I mean. If I recall correctly, most of Halo 4 you'd just pop in and out of cover while shooting at awfully designed AI. I guess to an extent Crawlers would rush at you and Knights would occasionally teleport or whatever, but overall they were pretty damn boring to fight. More of an annoyance than something that's actually fun. (The whole bullet sponge aspect didn't help either)

I will admit that the ranged pure forms in Halo 3 were a pain in the ass (Not unbeatable, just frustrating) and the addition of a melee that could kill the Flood ruined combat forms. But Halo CE and H2 got them right, IMO.

I'm always playing full screen though. I can't get immersed if I can see bits of my desktop around the edges or whatever

I think from a design perspective the cralwers did work because they would usually do a good job of rushing you or crawling around on surfaces to flank you, and they generally stayed mobile (except the sniper variants, which complaints about them aside it was at least nice that they stayed put for us to shoot at). The Knights themselves did play much more passively, which combined with the Watchers could be frustrating.

wwm0nkey

Thats why borderless windowed is great, you dont see any of that stuff and it looks just like full screen with the benefit of fixing the mouse aiming problem in H2V oh and also allowing for 90 FoV via mods that only work in window mode! :D

Just download DSfix and do the following

-Disable Vsync in game
-Enable windowed mode in game
-Open DSfix.ini and make the following changes
-Set resolution to your monitor resolution
-unlock FPS
-Set FPS cap to your refreshrate
-Allow for borderless window mode
-Make sure vsync is not enabled in DSfix.ini
-Download this and use the FoV app
-Set FoV to your preference.

Enjoy.

Mistel

Banned
For multiplayer matches I agree but for singleplayer(both campaign/screwing around in MP maps) getting out of the map is awesome.
Of course, exploring shouldn't be punished by any mean's. In most of the game's there is lot's of fun to be had (4 not really)

Under the ramp on The Pit was a great spot until they patched it.
It was, they never patched the little corridor thingy in the island in forge world, which was great as you could melee people through the glass in it.

How can you like Kat more the Dare?

Omni

I think from a design perspective the cralwers did work because they would usually do a good job of rushing you or crawling around on surfaces to flank you, and they generally stayed mobile (except the sniper variants, which complaints about them aside it was at least nice that they stayed put for us to shoot at).
There was something weird about the Crawlers.

It's been a while since I've played Halo 4 so I can't really give specific examples, but after hearing bs_angel talk about how they'd surround you and become quite deadly before release, I was really underwhelmed by what we got... I mean the idea is great, but it didn't seem to work. For one there were a few instances that I can think of where they'd just run in a straight line towards you (Most notably in the jungle mission). Other times they'd "flank" you, but for some reason there'd only be a couple of them. I don't think there was a single instance where I felt overwhelmed *shrugs*

The Knights themselves did play much more passively, which combined with the Watchers could be frustrating.
Haha, you're telling me. The Knights with OHK weapons and a Watcher as support were awful. General lack of ammo during campaign only made it worse

Thats why borderless windowed is great, you dont see any of that stuff and it looks just like full screen with the benefit of fixing the mouse aiming problem in H2V oh and also allowing for 90 FoV via mods that only work in window mode! :D

-Disable Vsync in game
-unlock FPS

Enjoy.
Oooooh. I will try this out later. Thanks!

Chettlar

Banned

-Disable Vsync in game
-unlock FPS

Enjoy.

Is the bolded done in game or in DSfix.ini? Or basically is this all done in DSfix.ini? And do I have to do it before or after I put the file into the Halo 2 folder?

Omni

Is it glitched or does it just not work properly sometimes?

Think about it.
I don't see the difference.

The requirements were met and yet it didn't unlock as designed. Therefore it's glitchy. Whatever the case, people were justified in their bitching.

Pretty sure you are still in "sprinting" while already being in the air, that doesn't count as falling then.
Many had exactly this problem.

Oh of course :lol

Haha, well I take it back. I guess it's not "glitchy". Either all. :)

Mistel

Banned
I'd pay for a full comic series like this
Why not, #Hire leviathan?

Yeah. I liked it when we got a mongoose and a ghost behind there as well.
Us all hiding on the roof was good as well. We should do that more often :p.

Kat > Dare

No question.
Yeah I could have been more clear that was based on attractiveness for me Dare > Kat. Kat's alright (that Israeli accent), but I prefer Dare so much more based on personality and looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom