• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

Why not, #Hire leviathan?

Us all hiding on the roof was good as well. We should do that more often :p.

Yeah I could have been more clear that was based on attractiveness for me Dare > Kat. Kat's alright (that Israeli accent), but I prefer Dare so much more based on personality and looks.

Alona Tal > Tricia Helfer

I feel like Dare gets the short end of the personality stick because she's got to be the hardass in the plot. Noble Team was, well, a team so there was a more even dynamic.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
He has to talk about something unrelated to Halo right?

No way they will just start dropping info bombs out of nowhere without magazine cover story or an event.
I dunno, plenty of other companies announce big reveals with little or no pre-hype. We should probably keep our expectations at -10, but still, it could be something!

Yeah I could have been more clear that was based on attractiveness for me Dare > Kat. Kat's alright (that Israeli accent), but I prefer Dare so much more based on personality and looks.
Kat has a wayyyyy more attractive personality than Dare. I hated the middle school bickering between her and Buck.

Homeboyd

I don't remember anything past the Halo Reach beta trailer, haha.
That was one of the best trailers in the history of mankind. I've never been that hyped for a game. Came out at like 6 am (cst) or some shit. Remember watching it first thing in the am.

The damn feels man. The feeeeeeels. Bungie touched me that day, and it was all kinds of appropriate.

Nowise10

Remember before the beta was out, expertzone.microsoft.com had a survey about Halo 3:ODST, and if you completed it, you would get a code for the Reach beta, and then their was a mad dash for the site to get one.

I remember it, and how slow the website was loading, and it couldn't load the rest of the ODST survey.

Caayn

Thats why borderless windowed is great, you dont see any of that stuff and it looks just like full screen with the benefit of fixing the mouse aiming problem in H2V oh and also allowing for 90 FoV via mods that only work in window mode! :D

Just download DSfix and do the following

-Disable Vsync in game
-Enable windowed mode in game
-Open DSfix.ini and make the following changes
-Set resolution to your monitor resolution
-unlock FPS
-Set FPS cap to your refreshrate
-Allow for borderless window mode
-Make sure vsync is not enabled in DSfix.ini
-Download this and use the FoV app
-Set FoV to your preference.

Enjoy.
Thanks for this. Finally was able to run H2 in eyefinity and 4K :D Here are the results.

Halo 2 4K:
ukTjsAb.jpg

Halo 2 (7680x1080)

And why not Halo SA while I'm at it :p (7680x1080)
Yeah for horrible image compression :(

It's clear that both Halo 2 and SA aren't made with multi monitor set-ups in mind.

Chettlar

Banned
Tell me how it all works for you. Oh also if your screen goes to the top left only just disable ingame anti-ailsing

I will let you know for sure, but it may be a while, since my computer keeps crashing, and I keep not having the time to call Newegg. I think my RAM is bad since I keep getting "PFN_List_Corrupt" and "Memory_Management" BSODs, and runing memtest doesn't fix anything. Nor does reinstalling Windows. :(

Still, once I get everything worked out I'll report back on here.

Also, are you suggesting disabling AA ingame or through DSFix? (I've never tried DSFix, so I don't know what all it can do).

You guys inspired me to try and get the "If They Came To Hear Me Beg..." achievement, and after 1 hour, and multiple achievement guides, I finally fucking got it.

Any words of wisdom on how to do it?

Thanks for this. Finally was able to run H2 in eyefinity and 4K :D Here are the results.

Halo 2 4K:

Halo 2 (7680x1080)

And why not Halo SA while I'm at it :p (7680x1080)

Yeah for horrible image compression :(

It's clear that both Halo 2 and SA aren't made with multi monitor set-ups in mind.

What up fellow Dutchman!

Mistel

Banned
Don't let your frustration get to you, the principles of getting the achievement are relatively straight forward. Don't sprint all the way down, try to face the same way as the elite when you get there.
You can also do it from the top of the spire, a jet pack can help you line it up easier. It wasn't as difficult as the cliff looked.

Before I make these purchases, are Halo PC and H2 PC free online anywhere? I faintly remember hearing something about H1 for free on PC, but idk if something similar was done for H2?

Us all hiding on the roof was good as well. We should do that more often :p.
I need to get on more often if you guys like to mess around over trying hard lol -- I stopped caring about wins/stats by Halo 3 unless it was ranked or the other team was talking crap. Playing with people who don't understand why I like to mess around and/or drive is unacceptable!

Omni

Can someone with Halo 2:Vista load up Delta Halo and take a screenshot of this in the opening cutscene?

89t5.png

Is it supposed to look so... bare?

Omni

I swear that there were trees and crap in the scene though

Maybe I'm just imagining things

That was one of the best trailers in the history of mankind. I've never been that hyped for a game. Came out at like 6 am (cst) or some shit. Remember watching it first thing in the am.

The damn feels man. The feeeeeeels. Bungie touched me that day, and it was all kinds of appropriate.

I love the remix track that plays on that trailer. Was actually kinda disappointed that it wasn't in the final game somewhere

*opens link*
*sees beam rifle*
*closes link*

I half posted that to spark a fresh bit of revulsion at the aim assist/bullet magnetism levels in Halo 4

halo4br_zps724437d3.gif

beamm_zps1290ce8f.gif

They really have to address that plus reinstate de-scoping for Halo 5. Probably the most important issue for Halo moving forward along with the removal of Armour Abilities.

I've seen several posts in the last few months here speak of Halo 4 having 'amazing gunplay' and claim that if you stripped AA's, perks, ordnance and sprint from the game, they'd play it every night. They're the custodians of their own opinions but I personally doubt that would be the case. I think the debate on 'gunplay' needs clarity on Halogaf, particularly in regards to what people actually mean by that word. In general, when I see the sentiment that Halo 4 has brilliant gunplay I interpret that as Halo players being so browbeaten by blooming reticles in Reach that they feel spoiled and disproportionately grateful that the guns in Halo 4 fire bullets straight, uninfluenced by the cadence of the trigger pull. Three years of 3's ambiguous BR spread and two years of having to crouch and pace shots like it's some sort of staid 9-5 have skewed the gunplay debate.

Halo 4's gunplay has two major, chronic issues:

1) Flinch. I find it difficult to reconcile how players can champion the gunplay whilst strongly disliking flinch; the two are almost inextricable, especially so in the case with Halo 4 where the majority of the maps are large and so medium to long range battles predominate. Disliking flinch is disliking the gunplay.

Flinch completely breaks the relationship between precision weapons and the sniper. A half decent sniper on Halo 4 shoots through flinch with ease and leaves a horrid feeling in the gut of the player who is so casually blained. It also nullifies the nuance of mid range battle; in Halo 2 and 3 it didn't pay to try to incessantly rescope between shots (ala Reach's mid-long range DMR battles) and so a battle ensued that was fought with reduced aim assist. In Halo 4, red reticle range becomes an afterthought because at mid-range a player can simply stay scoped the entire time and enjoy all the benefits of close range aim assist and bullet magnetism.

2) The aim assist levels. I honestly believe that the mass exodus from Halo 4 is in large part due to this. I've gone back to playing Halo 3 occasionally. Every other game I seethe, spit, rage and decry at least one incident that occurs. Reach could often seem like a meditation on whether video games were a leisure activity or a form of mental endurance training. I and many others on here still played these games regularly and near exclusively until the release of the subsequent title. Halo 4 came and went like a transient Gears of War title. 'Boredom', along with frustration, was the most common reason cited. Many things make Halo 4 boring to play for more than half an hour but chief among them must be the listlessness of its weapon combat. Gigantic hitboxes; Hercules-strong bullet magnetism; aim assist so insistent that it actually ruins your grenade throwing arc on an almost game to game basis. The ease with which you can 5 shot a distant opponent with the DMR in BTB is almost insulting it's so straightforward.

Other weapons which undermine Halo 4's gunplay:

The AR: Grossly overpowered, burns through enemies with minimal aiming required. Doubly unbalanced when paired with quick reload (quick reload affects an integral part of the interplay between different weapons and so damages the gunplay in Halo 4. Wasn't mentioned earlier because of the 'all perks stripped out' caveat).

SAW: The AR x2. Pathetically unbalanced and makes Halo 4 seem like a toy for infant school children to play with.

The Beam Rifle: See gif above. Should've been a day 1 patch. Laughable that it still exists as it does.

The Binary Rifle: Somewhat balanced by its scoped laser. But is there much 'play' in using this gun, so to speak? Feels both unsatisfying to kill with and cheap to die by. A Holmesian vision, a sniper for people who can't snipe, added purely for Halo's wheelchair Reich.

Sticky Detonator: Fine in isolation but when considered as a replacement for/re-imagining of Reach's Grenade Launcher suddenly seems very one dimensional and uninspired.

Boltshot: Useless primary fire (which I believe was bugged, would always seem to jam when fired rapidly, as does the 'flagnum'). Essentially served as a pocket shotgun off spawn and no doubt had thousands rifling through the bin for the Halo 4 receipt of purchase.

The Halo series by gunplay:

Halo CE - Projectile based, shot leading, effective strafing, loads of nuance, didn't have to accommodate latency realities. Great.

Halo 2 - Obscene amounts of aim assist. Sweep sniping. Button glitches added depth. Still had fast YY weapon switching, which is a massive plus.

Halo 3 - Terribly frustrating bullet spread which rendered the BR ineffectual at longer ranges and sometimes puzzled at closer ranges. Projectile based, required shot leading which adds depth and nuance to the gun battles. The hardest sniper rifle in the series to use and consequently the most rewarding.

Reach - Bloom, which is obviously awful but did at least add some sort of 'depth' to the gunplay. Featured one of the series' best and most unique weapons, the Grenade Launcher.

The greatest asset of Halo 4's gunplay is its consistency. The bullets fire straight, the reticles for the most part do not bloom, the BR spread is tighter. However, it's also, for the most part, consistently boring. You don't have to think about degrees of leading based on distance. Bullets don't fire straight when fired toward an enemy spartan, they powerfully magnetise towards them. Headshot hitboxes are far larger than they should be.

Firing a gun in Halo 4 just isn't that interesting. They can remove AA's and perks and add all the ranking systems they want for Halo 5 but if the gunplay carries over from 4 then it won't be a game worth buying an Xbox One for.

Mistel

Banned
I need to get on more often if you guys like to mess around over trying hard lol -- I stopped caring about wins/stats by Halo 3 unless it was ranked or the other team was talking crap. Playing with people who don't understand why I like to mess around and/or drive is unacceptable!
I mess around most of time, when it's full parties if they get annoyed (which most of the do) it's great. I know lot's of places to hide in reach.

The UNSC Thatcher?
That's an awful name for a ship.

Promethean vehicles will get introduced in Halo 5 as transformations because 343's so fond of alt-modes for the faction. Crawlers become motorbikes, Prometheans are licensed vehicles, etc.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Anyone avoiding Mortal Dictata because of crap like the quote below, don't.

No spoilers here, except behind black bars.

Anyone with a shred of reading ability that didn't just skip to the end of the book or copy and paste spoilers will be able to tell you what Mortal Dictat is literally (it's hinted at in Halsey's Journal, and the main articles are spelt out). In not some convoluted attempt at saying "there should be no Halo games".

I mean really, pull your head out if you really think that.

Mortal Dictata gives full attention to the Kilo-Five story (the first two books are very much guilty of shoe-horning in non K-5 material, to their detriment). You get a proper resolution to the Kilo-Five story and there's no wasted detours - and even a welcome, unexpected perspective which brings fresh eyes to the Halo universe.

scientist who contributed to Spartan II program feels he was not a worthy human because of it. his conscience will become an AI that will assist SII to atone for his crimes...and help protect them. He's pretty much the anti Chaka in that he chooses to become an AI to atone and kills himself, whereas Chaka is chosen to survive tho he didn't want to die nor be immortal.
MORTAL DICTATA is a UNSC act to prevent humans to commit child abductions/manipulations, for example, even under extreme circumstances. aka the end doesn't justify the means. aka halsey bad bitch. aka there should be no SII. aka there should be no Halo games. aka fuck you 343i

Dude feels guilty for experimenting on kidnapped children. You remember how the SPARTAN-II project was described? The horrific procedures? The low survival rates?

The UNSC got luck having the Spartans when the Covenant came knocking, otherwise the whole thing would have unravelled a lot sooner. It's easy to understand any moral human being having involved in the project having serious regrets about their participation. How many of those involved actively contributed to the fatality rates of the Spartan II project? How can you not understand how contributing to the death of a child might lead someone to regret their actions? And what about dozens of children?

These are the hard questions the series has tried to bring, but foam mouthed, ADHD fans with a deliberate agenda just outright refuse to appreciate this aspect. If folks would stop hating the author because of her gender and stop accusing 343 of trying to erase Bungie from existence, for a moment, and come up for some air, maybe you could look past the book series actual faults (and not the imaginary ones folks are desperate to cling onto) to see some of more interesting issues the series brings to the table.

The in-universe Mortal Dictata articles simply enshrines human dignity, in the way the current UN Charter of Human Rights attempts to do today, but from a perspective of the future, where many developed technologies would facilitate cloning in ways much easier than today. It's scifi. Cloning can happen in the Halo universe. Like today, you'd expect pretty straight forward legal frameworks outlawing it.

Now, or in the future, we generally don't support eugenics. Or kidnapping children to perform untested experiments on them with high mortality rates.

For a moment, just imagine that today a country decided to do the equivalent of the Spartan II project. Some random country, say Canada, abducted kids from all over the world, in secret, and replaced with clones - clones not expected to live more than a few weeks. Out of this pool of hundreds of kidnapped children, only 10% survived years of experiments, and dozens more severally handicapped or physically incapacitated.

I'll stop there. If you can't see, there's no point in further dragging this on.

Mistel

Banned
Promethean vehicles will get introduced in Halo 5 as transformations because 343's so fond of alt-modes for the faction. Crawlers become motorbikes, Prometheans are licensed vehicles, etc.
Some one already made a warthog that transform's into Chief from one of the wrangler licensed alt modes:
masterformer-1.jpg

I though one of the people here had that issue, they said motion controls with the kinect were so good they didn't need to touch anything again :p.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Where do you keep getting the idea that any of HaloGAF thinks she's a bad writer because of her gender?

I'm not singling folks out here for that, but there's a substantial amount of that shit in the anti-Traviss camp that have followed each of Halo publications.

When folks dismiss the author and simply make up shit about her and her work, it does bring into question their motivations.

Can somebody clear this up for me? I remember people saying Parangosky hated Halsey for developing the Spartan II program. Is this true, or is she just used as a scapegoat by ONI? I haven't really kept track of the supposed Halsey hate in the new books.

Mistel

Banned
Snip intelligent stuff and things

The greatest asset of Halo 4's gunplay is its consistency. The bullets fire straight, the reticles for the most part do not bloom, the BR spread is tighter. However, it's also, for the most part, consistently boring. You don't have to think about degrees of leading based on distance. Bullets don't fire straight when fired toward an enemy spartan, they powerfully magnetise towards them. Headshot hitboxes are far larger than they should be.

Firing a gun in Halo 4 just isn't that interesting. They can remove AA's and perks and add all the ranking systems they want for Halo 5 but if the gunplay carries over from 4 then it won't be a game worth buying an Xbox One for.

tumblr_mqxii8M6Fp1sc7m2yo1_500.gif

Traviss book's are alright but I don't really like her halo ones, republic commando on the other hand I think is quite good. Oh and someone give the Henery a job. #CE base settings or bust

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Can somebody clear this up for me? I remember people saying Parangosky hated Halsey for developing the Spartan II program. Is this true, or is she just used as a scapegoat by ONI? I haven't really kept track of the supposed Halsey hate in the new books.

100% Scapegoating.

Parangosky testifies about her own involvement at a public hearing, but the blame is put on Halsey because, officially, she's dead, she died at Reach. So having the majority of blame fall on a dead person means there is less for anyone living to answer.

Basically Parangosky wanted to make things easier for Osmin by getting the Spartan II project outed before she came to power so that she wouldn't have to deal with it. She also wanted to clear some of her own guilt, she knows she had blood on her hands.

Also, doesn't help that Halsey never made friends with one. She constantly butted heads with her surperiors, Parangosky included. I think Parangosky was slightly more bitter towards Halsey because of the flash clone use (for making Cortana and replacing the children), that part of the Spartan II project doesn't seem to have sat well with her.

Omni

I love the Traviss books. I also love how everyone gets all high and mighty when it comes to the Spartan II project, but are conveniently looking past the fact that they created something far worse: The Spartan III project.

BUT HEY. ASKING UNDER AGE ORPHANS IF THEY WANT REVENGE FOR THEIR PARENTS DYING AND SENDING THOUSANDS* OF THEM ON SUICIDE MISSIONS IS A-OKAY. HALSEY IS HITLER. CLONING IS BAD

Seriously. It's frustrating to read.

*Well, they sent two companies to die. A third company is still out and about, iirc

I love the Traviss books. I also love how everyone gets all high and mighty when it comes to the Spartan II project, but are conveniently looking past the fact that they created something far worse: The Spartan III project.

BUT HEY. ASKING UNDER AGE ORPHANS IF THEY WANT REVENGE FOR THEIR PARENTS DYING AND SENDING THOUSANDS OF THEM ON SUICIDE MISSIONS IS A-OKAY. HALSEY IS HITLER. CLONING IS BAD

Seriously. It's frustrating to read.

I Bring up the other Spartan Programs all the time but it gets hand-waved away

Caayn

snipped
You're going a bit far by saying people don't like the writer because of her gender. I've got nothing against Karen based on her gender but on her writing style. She's good and perfectly capable of writing and explaining a characters thoughts. But the problem for me is that when Halsey or anything related to the Spartan II program is mentioned she suddenly takes every chance to be as negative as she possible can. I understand that outsiders wouldn't react positive to hearing some of the details from the Spartan II program. I'm not going to deny that. The problem is that every single problem is blamed on that program, repeatedly. I get that Staffan Sentzke is angry at Earth for what he thinks they did. But do I need to be reminded of that and hear his complete story every 10 pages? No!
Karen completely forgets that there was a Spartan III program which wasn't exactly anymore humane that the Spartan II program was. And she gets certain things mixed up, or gives conflicting information, for example in Mortal Dictata at the bottom of page 151 Mal's thinks that the Spartans were designed to be expandable in the context of Naomi and Spartan IIs. Which isn't true and gives the reader the wrong idea, the Spartan IIIs were made to be expandable the Spartan IIs however weren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom