• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

heckfu

Banned
HOW TO DO A TEASER 101:

ZNJ6C7j.png

I'm there, too, where's my beautiful mug :(

THE GANG WILL BE BACK NEXT WEEK IN 'HOW TO TRAIN YOUR TASHI' OR 'KUNG FU TASHI 2'

Madness

Can't wait to read the post. I'm just glad my stats weren't on it. I shit the bed with Reach, one of my worst and least played Halo games (until Halo 4), I think it was just the lack of ranks, quality playlists and bullshit like bloom, armor lock, I just stopped caring.

Omni

So I just cancelled my Xbone order.

Not much in terms of games out now anyway. Thinking that it will probably be cheaper to just get one once Halo 5 and Destiny come out... Plus I've never had a Halo console before, so if Halo 5 has one I'll jump at that. Kinda regret not biting on the Halo 4 one tbh.

But yes. Halo information. When was Halo 4's first reveal again? March? I guess that's only ~6 weeks away if they were to take that route again

IHaveIce

Banned
People putting Travis over Nylund as best Halo writers... wtf.

There is only one story by Travis I consider really good for Halo and that is the one in Evolutions, here her writing style just fits.

I disliked most of Evlutions other stories, I thought Contact Harvest was also a boring book, the forerunner trilogy was interesting but all in all it was boring, K5 books just seem out of universe for me.
Cole protocol was uninteresting and Grey Team seemed like an asspull.

Nylund books? Lovely stories that expanded the universe for me and showed us the creation of Spartans

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So I just cancelled my Xbone order. *shrugs*

Not much in terms of games out now anyway. Thinking that it will probably be cheaper to just get one once Halo 5 and Destiny come out... Plus I've never had a Halo console before, so if Halo 5 has one I'll jump at that
Titanfall made me want one, but after watching all the recent Alpha footage, my interest in the game kinda dwindled. It looks fun, but it doesn't look like it'd hold my interest for very long. Certainly not worth buying a console for. I already have a PS4, and even if I buy an XB1, I'd want to get all multiplatform games on the PS4, so if I ever get an XB1, it'll probably just be a Halo machine. Which I'm cool with. Here's hopin that Halo 5 rocks our world.

Vico

So I just cancelled my Xbone order.

Not much in terms of games out now anyway. Thinking that it will probably be cheaper to just get one once Halo 5 and Destiny come out... Plus I've never had a Halo console before, so if Halo 5 has one I'll jump at that. Kinda regret not biting on the Halo 4 one tbh.

But yes. Halo information. When was Halo 4's first reveal again? March? I guess that's only ~6 weeks away if they were to take that route again

I hope we get a small price cut at E3.
That's when I'll jump in.

belushy

Banned
I'm just going to wait for the special designed Halo 5 Xbox One (if Halo 5 looks promising.) Halo 5 is the only reason I want to get an Xbone at this point... I'm sure by that time there will be decent amount of games set for release for it to warrant a purchase, though.

TheOddOne

Most of the "linear" designers gone. New creative director. New art director. New narrative director. New writers. New tool and tech programmers.

Kind of exited to see a whole new staff take on Halo.

Madness

I was going to PM Frank about a Halo 5 bundle Xbox One but I felt I'd just come off as an idiot, and it's something that he probably knows is important.

There's a bunch of people waiting for either TitanFall or Halo 5, makes sense if they can buy them together with an Xbox One, get something unique or save some money.

Even if it's just a basic black Xbox One but with custom controllers or something.

A buddy of mine who's a really huge halo fan that knows the lore like a few of you here, who just received his copy of Mortal Dictata, is pretty annoyed with it after reading the first few chapters that 343 approved Travis to write about the war criminal Halsey.

Why are they so persistent on making that Hate for Halsey so evident that her Infamous status takes 3 novels and Spartan Ops season 1 & 1.5 to really make their point? I find it unnecessary to over do this. I think fans already got the idea in SpOps that it took Halsey's arm and Frank's finger to get their point across.

I'm hoping that in Halo 5, Dr. Halsey and Hemish Bemish team up with Master Chief and Arbiter to form a league of ... Highly unlikely super heroes to save Earf and all her colonies. To fight for Justice and stop these conspirators of their tyranny within ONI that attempt to do them wrong. They will save the human race and the galaxy with one bag of Doritos and Mountain Dew at a time.

Omni

Titanfall made me want one, but after watching all the recent Alpha footage, my interest in the game kinda dwindled. It looks fun, but it doesn't look like it'd hold my interest for very long. Certainly not worth buying a console for. I already have a PS4, and even if I buy an XB1, I'd want to get all multiplatform games on the PS4, so if I ever get an XB1, it'll probably just be a Halo machine. Which I'm cool with. Here's hopin that Halo 5 rocks our world.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't buy a console for Titanfall alone. I wasn't particularly excited beforehand, but from what I've seen from the Alpha, I don't think that it's going to be as big as people are expecting it to be

I'm still frustrated at the damn release date for Mortal Dictata. It's bullshit. Why is a digital version releasing two weeks after just because I live in Australia? Greg Bear's books came out on release... why is this different?

and companies wonder why people resort to torrenting (that's not implying that I am, because I do plan to buy on release. But I know for a fact that you could just download it right now)

Caayn

Considering they're using the Source engine as a base, Titanfall will probably run pretty smoothly on a toaster.
If that's true than Respawn/MS would be screaming that the game was running in 1080p/60fps on the Xbox One. I think Titanfall is heavier than most of us expect.

If that's true than Respawn/MS would be screaming that the game was running in 1080p/60fps on the Xbox One. I think Titanfall is heavier than most of us expect.
If that's the case then color me surprised, because as fun as Titanfall is, there's nothing about the graphics that looks technically demanding at all.

i am reading mortal dictata right now through itunes book and while BB is awesome as always, the topic narrated sometimes is really boring.I am almost at the end and until now nothing relevant to report.

Fuchsdh

So an interesting tidbit in the latest financials from Microsoft: http://arstechnica.com/information-...d-microsoft-posts-record-revenue-for-q2-2014/

D&C Other saw revenue decrease 10 percent, to $1.8 billion, and gross margin fall 51 percent, to $0.43 billion. Search advertising revenue was up 34 percent, and Xbox LIVE purchases were up more than 25 percent. However, display advertising revenue, primarily on Outlook.com, was down 32 percent. First-party Xbox game revenue was also down sharply, falling 58 percent. The difference was attributed to the same quarter in the 2013 financial year, including bumper Halo 4 revenue.

A mainline Halo game is worth 50% or more of the division's revenue. That's kind of crazy.

Mix

I bought my first iBook yesterday. It was Mortal Dictata. I picked up Thursday War back when it came out but I never touched it. I'm also like three chapters into Silentium so I need to finish that one too before I can even begin these two.
Book rankings:
Forerunner (1,2 beginning of 3)
Fall of Reach
Evolutions
Ghosts of Onyx
Harvest
First Strike
Cole
Glasslands
The Flood
was shit

If that's the case then color me surprised, because as fun as Titanfall is, there's nothing about the graphics that looks technically demanding at all.

It sounds like Respawn has pretty much completely replaced just about everything in the Source engine.

It's kind of like saying that 2013 COD is running on the quake engine.

That said I don't think Titanfall will require god-tier PC's, but still enough where a lot of people won't be able to run it and/or there are people that would rather play that kind of game on a console with a controller.

Madness

"The ironic thing is that we wanted an engine that would work on PS3, because that’s the riskiest platform in current gen. When Portal 2 came out and it seemed to be a pretty decent PS3 game, that was the point when we decided to go with Source. And then we stopped supporting PS3."

Seems like they wanted Source because when they started development in 2011, they wanted an engine that would also be great for the PS3 and then they abandoned support for PS3, and probably got the Xbox One devkits a little while later and just stopped developing on the 360 as well. I'm sure if they knew from the ground up it was a next gen game, it'd have looked much better. Do we even know who's handling the Xbox 360 version now? Plus in that very same Polygon interview they say they only have like 65 people working on the game.

Chettlar

Banned
I'm hoping that in Halo 5, Dr. Halsey and Hemish Bemish team up with Master Chief and Arbiter to form a league of ... Highly unlikely super heroes to save Earf and all her colonies. To fight for Justice and stop these conspirators of their tyranny within ONI that attempt to do them wrong. They will save the human race and the galaxy with one bag of Doritos and Mountain Dew at a time.

Hamish Bemish better be in a Halo game in some point in time or I will be very disappointed.

Really cool, thanks for sharing.

Oh, man what I would do for a third person skull. I mean, I usually prefer first person, but I have a friend who can only play third person because first person hurts his head (motion sickness n all) if he plays for more than about 15 minutes at a time. It'd be cool if I could play with him some, since he does enjoy Halo.

Plus, it just sounds like a cool skull. The point of skulls is to change up gameplay, right? I think this could really change up things a little more than one would think.

There just needs to be more skulls in general.

So Search and Destroy aka "Fuse" is pretty much done, I just have to get the loose bomb reset to work and came up with the player settings.

Can anyone help me with this, I'm thinking of something like BR starts, weapon pickup disabled, no AA (atleast for the bomb carrier), 1 BR shot to break the shields followed by a headshot to kill a player. Does that sound good?

So Search and Destroy aka "Fuse" is pretty much done, I just have to get the loose bomb reset to work and came up with the player settings.

Can anyone help me with this, I'm thinking of something like BR starts, weapon pickup disabled, no AA (atleast for the bomb carrier), 1 BR shot to break the shields followed by a headshot to kill a player. Does that sound good?

Why make everyone so weak?

IHaveIce

Banned

By 1 BR shot you mean all 3 bullets have to hit right? If so, yeah I think that sounds fine, at least I would like to test it that way.

Just make sure body shots don't kill stupidly fast.

IHaveIce

Banned
It's your mod but I'd try it with halo 4's settings first. I think if most of us wanted to play COD S and D we'd just throw in CoD4-10 to play it.

With Sprint and full shields I suspect players to just run away etc. You only have 1 life per round.
Of course Gabo can test both variants.

FYC

Banned
So now that it's been a few weeks since Christmas, anyone interested in getting to work on the next HaloGAF Montage?

To sum up the plan so far:

- Footage from any Halo game can be submitted, any mode(Campaign, Multi, etc). Even Wars / Spartan Assault! Oh, and feel free to submit funny clips.

- PM Ozzy with theatre clips if you need someone to capture them. If you'd like to capture clips yourself...

Nice one, let us just say 720p 30fps as a minimum for submission and recommend [video editor] output the same final montage settings. Also if anyone needs a capture done just link me your uploaded fileshare video(s) link and I'll capture it for you. Just make sure to tell me the times to capture as I don't want to guess at what times to capture and full games are too long. It should be easy for [video editor] to sort through what to put into the montage.

- I'm more than happy to edit the clips together, but if someone else would like to take charge of editing, by all means. Just the other day Juices and Cyren were talking about other montage, so you guys certianly know more about Halo montages than I do.

...I guess that's it for now, really. Time to capture shit now. Have fun!

So now that it's been a few weeks since Christmas, anyone interested in getting to work on the next HaloGAF Montage?

- Footage from any Halo game can be submitted, any mode(Campaign, Multi, etc). Even Wars / Spartan Assault! Oh, and feel free to submit funny clips.

- PM Ozzy with theatre clips if you need someone to capture them. If you'd like to capture clips yourself...

- I'm more than happy to edit the clips together, but if someone else would like to take charge of editing, by all means. Just the other day Juices and Cyren were talking about other montage, so you guys certianly know more about Halo montages than I do.

I have a few Reach ones I think I can share, I'll have to double-check about 4. I thought it'd be neat if a montage used a "channel surfing" format where the montage itself was being broadcasted on one channel, but for the opening / halftime show / end credits there were a few random channels like HGSTV, C-SPAN (but with halo drama, rip eazyb), etc. that had one-off gags.

I send them some of my clips to him, hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom