• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Can someone do me a favor and tell me if the following maps are symmetric?
-Daybreak
-Outcast
-Perdition
-Vertigo

I'm pretty confident none of those maps are symmetrical. The only one I haven't really played is Vertigo, but I know from images and videos it wasn't really symmetrical.

Press would be mad as fuck, I would be happy.

I don't think so actually, it all depends on the delivery. I would expect/hope something like this from 343 if that were the case:

"We decided to create as many maps as possible for Halo 5's launch, so how did we go about doing that? Well, we thought it would be best to go with more remakes initially since we're bringing Halo back to its roots, so we decided what better way to showcase the gameplay than on remakes that fans know for sure they love? That was our goal; give the fans the things they know and love for Halo 5.

Then from there, we can focus on creating fewer new maps for launch and really give them the attention they deserve. With remakes, the layouts and gameplay scenarios we've all played over the years are already known, but for new maps it's difficult to determine player habits without the game being out and seeing the statistics for things like heatmaps, player movement, etc.. With that in mind, we hope to bring a solid lineup of new maps to the Halo franchise that pass the test of time."

Still waiting for that PM Frankie.

Almost all of Combat Evolved's maps were pretty generic. A nice coat of paint can solve that. Fundamentally from a gameplay standpoint I think it was one of the better CE maps. (I mean, why remake Longest or Prisoner before Rat's Nest?)

Rat's Nest, not Rat Race. But yes I agree, Rat Race was a great map that surprisingly hasn't seen a remake.

I laugh and wonder what Halo 4 maps would be included in those remakes.

I should've noted only maps from Halo 1-3. Save maps from Reach (lol) and H4 (Haven) for map packs, if at all. DLC could be best saved for brand new maps since they're going to be free anyway ;]

belushy

Banned
Fun, what would those 15 remakes be?

edit: No Reach maps? Not even Countdown or Zealot? I mean, there is 15 slots, should be able to find spots for them ;P

Fuchsdh

I don't think so actually, it all depends on the delivery. I would expect/hope something like this from 343 if that were the case:

"We decided to create as many maps as possible for Halo 5's launch, so how did we go about doing that? Well, we thought it would be best to go with more remakes initially since we're bringing Halo back to its roots, so we decided what better way to showcase the gameplay than on remakes that fans know for sure they love? That was our goal; give the fans the things they know and love for Halo 5.

Then from there, we can focus on creating fewer new maps for launch and really give them the attention they deserve. With remakes, the layouts and gameplay scenarios we've all played over the years are already known, but for new maps it's difficult to determine player habits without the game being out and seeing the statistics for things like heatmaps, player movement, etc.. With that in mind, we hope to bring a solid lineup of new maps to the Halo franchise that pass the test of time."

Still waiting for that PM Frankie.

Rat's Nest, not Rat Race. But yes I agree, Rat Race was a great map that surprisingly hasn't seen a remake.

Lol, completely misread that. But there's been some surprising decent Forge remakes of it if you haven't played it, which makes me think from those playthroughs it could work. Rat's Nest I have less of an opinion.

Karl2177

I'm pretty confident none of those maps are symmetrical. The only one I haven't really played is Vertigo, but I know from images and videos it wasn't really symmetrical.

Thanks. :)

And 15 remakes? Considering that there's only been 14 maps remade for a total of 21 remakes and spiritual successors throughout the entire series, good luck with that.

Waterworks needs a remake. It's like the one map that would have actually worked in Halo 4's sandbox.

By the way, as far as mainline titles go, 1 / 2 had Blood Gulch / Coagulation and 3 / 4 had Valhalla / Ragnarok. What new "biggie box canyon with the red and blue bases" do you think we'll get for Halo 5?

Fun, what would those 15 remakes be?

Shit, honestly any list of 15 maps from CE and Halo 2 would be legit. Mine would probably be:
  1. Chill Out
  2. Rat Race
  3. Hang 'Em High
  4. Coagulation
  5. Colossus
  6. Containment
  7. Headlong
  8. Lockout
  9. Midship
  10. Terminal
  11. Warlock
  12. Waterworks
  13. Avalanche
  14. Guardian
  15. Last Resort

Honorable mentions:
  • The rest of CE and H2 maps (literally, even Backwash
    because YODA
    )
  • Ghost Town
  • High Ground
  • Narrows
  • Standoff
  • The Pit
  • Valhalla

75% chance of playing good maps that I already played and have a connection to.

You can gamble again for good maps, but I don't another Halo 4 where only 1 good map comes around

This is the key IMO. Halo 3 (mostly because of the gameplay), Reach and Halo 4 had some crappy launch maps. I don't necessarily believe in a map being good or bad per se, but what I do believe in is gameplay mechanics. Throw CE's gameplay in any H3, Reach or H4 map and it would play much better than it did in its respective game; that's the power of solid gameplay.

EDIT:
Burial Mounds was fantastic Adapt sucka
Countdown is real solid, weapon choice and placement ruin it
Sword base would be great if it was slightly wider had less gaps for people to hide in and the yellow lift was more open.

Gotta agree with you man.. Some funnnn ass games were had on that map! Spawn, grab Hog, drive bomb guy to front of base as me and the gunner wreck havoc, causing a distraction. Bomb guy jumps in the front and arms that bitch.

Thank you.

Tawpgun

I could see Haven being remade, I really like it.

Skyline could be remade, but slightly bigger. It feels too cramped sometimes.

And whats the name of that popular forge map? Simplex? Dunno if thats the one. The one with OS in the middle, Rail Gun on the side...

Take that layout and make it a map.

I was talking about Halo 3 the other day to a friend who has left the franchise and he was saying if a game like Halo 2 or 3 came back out and he could jump into the old maps he loved like guardian he would buy a Xbone instantly. I wonder how many others are itching for a more classic halo to return.

IHaveIce

Banned
People liked sword base and countdown? News to me, what about an ice fields remake.

Play countdown without radar and with a different weapon setup, bungie sent the map intentionally to die with their motion tracker and sword, shotgun and concussion rifle.
Combined with Reach's uber nades it was super annoying.

But MLG countdown is really good.

Swordbase is uttershit though.
I could see Haven being remade, I really like it.

Skyline could be remade, but slightly bigger. It feels too cramped sometimes.

And whats the name of that popular forge map? Simplex? Dunno if thats the one. The one with OS in the middle, Rail Gun on the side...

Take that layout and make it a map.
Yeah it's simplex, Simplex is basically an evolved midship( not a true remake like maybe Onyx but you can feel the vibes of it)
But I'm always up for some small arena maps.
Midship is probably the best working design for me.

EDIT 2How do you guys think about Instaplode? do you want to see it come back? I loved doing it on H3

Madness

Halo 5 had better have a ton of maps, of all sizes guaranteed on launch day, I wouldn't mind a free remake map pack like Epic did with Gears of War 2.

Then again we don't know how the base game play will be. I wonder with the increased power, 50gb blu-ray discs how much Forge will be improved.

belushy

Banned

Good list. I definitely want some old Halo 2 BTB maps in Halo 5, or at least similar maps. I loved Containment.

Also, seems a lot of people wouldn't want Construct. Any reason why? I mean, the basement area was damn horrible, I agree. Maybe a spiritual successor?

I'd like to see spiritual successors to Zealot, Construct, Chiron TL-34, Containment (which I guess we kinda got with that one Reach forge map), Foundation, and Epitaph.

Halo 5 had better have a ton of maps, of all sizes guaranteed on launch day, I wouldn't mind a free remake map pack like Epic did with Gears of War 2.

Then again we don't know how the base game play will be. I wonder with the increased power, 50gb blu-ray discs how much Forge will be improved.

This brings me to another thought; how many maps we'll get at launch. Will it be the pitiful <~9 we've seen for several releases or something substantial?

I really hope they don't screw this up, but somehow, some way.. something always goes wrong with this franchise ;\

Good list. I definitely want some old Halo 2 BTB maps in Halo 5, or at least similar maps. I loved Containment.

Also, seems a lot of people wouldn't want Construct. Any reason why? I mean, the basement area was damn horrible, I agree. Maybe a spiritual successor?

Construct almost made my list, but there's just too many other maps that deserve remaking over that one. I didn't even include Chiron and that was one of my favorites thanks to 4v4 KotH.

I'd like to see spiritual successors to Zealot, Construct, Chiron TL-34, Containment (which I guess we kinda got with that one Reach forge map), Foundation, and Epitaph.

Epitaph would've been such a good map in Halo 1.

EDIT:
Construct would also be a neat sight to see, given the balance between sneaky map routes and fall damage.

Holding the bottom level in Construct (4v4) was my favorite way to play it; nobody knew how to fight against that if you were coordinated/aware.

This brings me to another thought; how many maps we'll get at launch. Will it be the pitiful <~9 we've seen for several releases or something substantial?

I really hope they don't screw this up, but somehow, some way.. something always goes wrong with this franchise ;

Construct almost made my list, but there's just too many other maps that deserve remaking over that one. I didn't even include Chiron and that was one of my favorites thanks to 4v4 KotH.

Epitaph would've been such a good map in Halo 1.

Construct would also be a neat sight to see, given the balance between sneaky map routes and fall damage.

IHaveIce

Banned
Bring us as Forgemap a large Urban city, there are many already existing maps in the city, like Destrict, Terminal, Turf etc.

Shoutouts to A 3 legged Goat.

If we really only get 10 maps again...

10 campaign missions
Spartan Ops Crap with reusing maps from campaign and Multiplayer
10 MP maps
3 forgemaps

But having to install 50 GB, this is the nightmare I have about Halo 5

Burial Mounds hate? What??

Burial Mounds I hate for personal reasons... back in High School when I casualized in Halo 2 and played with "play to have fun even if it means getting wrecked over and over" people, Burial Mounds nearly always ended in disaster for us.

Burial Mounds was fantastic Adapt sucka
Countdown is real solid, weapon choice and placement ruin it
Sword base would be great if it was slightly wider had less gaps for people to hide in and the yellow lift was more open.

Countdown's main lift area is a camptastical mess, though apparently the MLG variant I played like three times ever is better. It just seems too built around the idea that players "can just use jetpack to make it flow!"

Sword Base though I think is irredeemable, the map is too vertical for decent flow even with better lifts. Even if we improved the lifts, that just makes the bottom third even more pointless because people move up as soon as they can. The entire map is obvious pathways and choke points, and boring as hell to play on with people who aren't morons.

belushy

Banned
Bring us as Forgemap a large Urban city, there are many already existing maps in the city, like Destrict, Terminal, Turf etc.

Didn't everyone think that about Reach when Headlong was announced for the Anniversary pack? I remember b.net having a big thread with their map design for a city forge world.

Mistel

Banned
By the way, as far as mainline titles go, 1 / 2 had Blood Gulch / Coagulation and 3 / 4 had Valhalla / Ragnarok. What new "biggie box canyon with the red and blue bases" do you think we'll get for Halo 5?
Call it blood clot and make the surrounding geology high in iron, so it could be a reddish coloured canyon.

Sandbox wasn't that bad of a BTB map. Would a remake of that be warranted? I forgot turf as well.

Halo 5 will be F2P. However a clip of BR fluid costs ten cents.

There is also grunts on the battlefield that you kill to level up to use special ordnance calldowns. Farm.

Fuchsdh

I borrowed a copy of H4 from a friend, will be streaming H4 later tonight, if anyone wants to play.
Were I not traveling I'd join.

If Forge in H5 gives us even a small selection of interactive objects Turf is a done map. From a practical standpoint makin maps that can't easily be forged might be a better option.

Relic

Chettlar

Banned
People liked sword base and countdown? News to me, what about an ice fields remake.

Played some Reach 4 player split screen with a friend a few months ago, and those were about the only two maps he'd let us play.

I just do not enjoy Countdown at all. idk.

Snowbound

Playing snowbound lone wolves with either swords or rockets is actually pretty fun.

I always lose when using rockets, but hey. Still fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom