• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish people would stop asking this because I want to but I have other stuff I really should be doing. Uuuggghh work ethic guilt complex

If you get on, I'll get on. Guilt that.

..unless I decide to impulse buy Tomb Raider right now to play the multiplayer on my Bone.

I really want to play some Halo 2. XBConnect/XLinkKai or GFWL. let's do it

edit: I really hope Halo 5 ditches loadouts and abilities. I miss the days of fighting over weapon spawns. And the abilities are either useless or overpowered. I'm indifferent to sprint, I would prefer the game without it though. Maybe keep it in the campaign only..

Ghazi

Why don't you own Halo 4?

I remember that one time on MP in Meltdown where I got so angry I kicked my H4 box around shouting and cursing David Ellis's name.
I'm kidding

I sold it, because I wasn't playing it much, for $20 at GameStop (first time dealing with them) and immediately regretted it. Didn't help I spent $100 to get the game on launch, it was mostly because I was extremely disappointed. I've been considering buying another copy though, it depends on whether or not I enjoy it when playing this weekend. I want more FPSs in my life but I can't stand CoD, hate Battlefield on 360/PS3, and miss classic Halo. So I'm at a stalemate there.

Ghazi

:( Kumite in Tennessee is happening right now and I didn't go to it.

spiderman_crying.gif

Blueblur1

Every Reach map was a poor excuse for a Halo map. I don't know who they handed the reigns to but all of the maps for absolutely forgettable.

Chettlar

Banned
Can I just say that I don't mind AA's in Halo campaign at all? Kinda like how I really didn't mind "equipment" in Halo 3's campaign. I thought they added a nice new dynamic to the campaign.

But I don't like them as armor abilities all that much though. I prefer something more like a hybrid between equipment and AAs.

So like, I kill a brute, and I can pick up his jet pack (like equipment), and I can use it for as long as I like but can use only it instead something else -- one thing at a time (like armor abilities). So if I kill an elite, I get his active camo THAT DOESN'T GO AWAY WHEN I WALK. JEEZUS LORD ALMIGHTY NO. Return to how it worked in Halo 3 where it just goes away when you are doing an action.

All of this, like I said, would just be in campaign. In multiplayer, simple armor things like over shields and active camo that you have to get on the map just like weapons would be ideal (like it worked in CE, 2, and 3).

it's kinda like when you kill a dude, you can use his gun. It's a "Why not let me also use his jetpack?" kind of a thing. That's why you should have to fight for them again in MM, just like in CE, 2, and 3.

Armor abilities, just like weapons, should be earned, not just received at the start.

I mean, seriously guys, imagine if campaign let you choose armor abilities and gun loadouts. That would kill it so bad.

Why don't Devs start placing AA on map that are appropriate for a balanced game like Reach's MLG instead of having them as preset or custom loadouts? (I really don't want Custom Loadouts back.)

That way you have equal starts and reward the players that can destroy another player regardless if they're using an AA or not. Fix the spawn times and it's fine. I don't want Ordnance back unless it's plays like Throwdown. This would make things interesting imo.

I'd flip if 343 has a classic CTF game with Thruster Pack as default and when you jump holding the flag you can juggle it across the map like when Pros tricked the evade to flag juggle it to their side and captured it.

FyreWulff

Why don't Devs start placing AA on map that are appropriate for a balanced game like Reach's MLG instead of having them as preset or custom loadouts? (I really don't want Custom Loadouts back.)

That way you have equal starts and reward the players that can destroy another player regardless if they're using an AA or not. Fix the spawn times and it's fine. I don't want Ordnance back unless it's plays like Throwdown. This would make things interesting imo.

I'd flip if 343 has a classic CTF game with Thruster Pack as default and when you jump holding the flag you can juggle it across the map like when Pros tricked the evade to flag juggle it to their side and captured it.

The reason AAs become AAs was because they were derived from Equipment in Halo 3. It was mentioned they felt equipment was fun, but players tended to hoard the equipment because they didn't want to use it at the "wrong" moment.

So equipment was refactored as re-usable AAs.

If you follow that design change, then making AAs as map pickups would have mooted their desire for people to not be afraid to use abilities.

IMO, I see where they were going, and it was definitely a problem that they tried to solve. It didn't really feel like 343 made any real attempt to address the complaints with AAs, except for armor lock. They weren't required to keep them in the first place, either. But if you're going to keep it, at least nerf them or have them be more telegraphed.

AL -> Hardlight Shield was a good move. It protects you from the front but you're exposed to grenades and fire from all 3 other directions.

Jetpack wasn't really nerfed at all. If they insisted on keeping it around, it should have been a jump pack that just gives you a quick boost with a very long recharge. It's still possible to hover and do all the douchey things with it that you could in Reach. It really just needs to be eliminated at this point.

etc etc

The reason AAs become AAs was because they were derived from Equipment in Halo 3. It was mentioned they felt equipment was fun, but players tended to hoard the equipment because they didn't want to use it at the "wrong" moment.

If you follow that design change, then making AAs as map pickups would have mooted their desire for people to not be afraid to use abilities.

http://youtu.be/SBlyHZrpJDg?t=7m14s

Fuchsdh

IMO, I see where they were going, and it was definitely a problem that they tried to solve. It didn't really feel like 343 made any real attempt to address the complaints with AAs, except for armor lock. They weren't required to keep them in the first place, either. But if you're going to keep it, at least nerf them or have them be more telegraphed.

AL -> Hardlight Shield was a good move. It protects you from the front but you're exposed to grenades and fire from all 3 other directions.

Jetpack wasn't really nerfed at all. If they insisted on keeping it around, it should have been a jump pack that just gives you a quick boost with a very long recharge. It's still possible to hover and do all the douchey things with it that you could in Reach. It really just needs to be eliminated at this point.

etc etc
The other thing they mentioned was that players wouldn't know what the items they had were and would waste them or power drain themselves. AAs definitely solved that, but didn't make it much easier to tell who has what (I guess if you're looking at someone's backside you can tell in 4 but that's not too much help.)

I think lots of people might mind AAs less if you could tell at a glance what people had but with armor perms that sort of impossible to do with any uniform success.

Treating them as power ups or consumables at least means that the "unfair" advantages has to be contested and used up. Say, fuel forthright jet pack, camo that is on demand rather than instant, but once activated runs out with no recharging, HLS has one or two uses only. People have mentioned AA recharges here too but that feels like more effort (and the limited use AAs I describe above feel like they'd make grabbing weapons in a firefight more obnoxious.)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just played Halo (4) for the first time in three months, went 15-0, and got a double headshot kill with the sniper. Good times. I need to get a 360 again asap.

Chettlar

Banned

That's....exactly what I just said.

FyreWulff

The other thing they mentioned was that players wouldn't know what the items they had were and would waste them or power drain themselves. AAs definitely solved that, but didn't make it much easier to tell who has what (I guess if you're looking at someone's backside you can tell in 4 but that's not too much help.)

I think lots of people might mind AAs less if you could tell at a glance what people had but with armor perms that sort of impossible to do with any uniform success.

Treating them as power ups or consumables at least means that the "unfair" advantages has to be contested and used up. Say, fuel forthright jet pack, camo that is on demand rather than instant, but once activated runs out with no recharging, HLS has one or two uses only. People have mentioned AA recharges here too but that feels like more effort (and the limited use AAs I describe above feel like they'd make grabbing weapons in a firefight more obnoxious.)

It's also a distant memory now, but Bungie also deleted the equipment that didn't work out in Halo 3. Yeah, the being able to do jumps with them was a known thing, but you could still do the jumps with the power drain. While I loved the strategic options of the Flare and Radar Jammer, half the time the Flare blinded yourself and the Radar Jammer scrambled everyone's radar, so nobody liked using it. The Deployable Cover was just never used at all.

In the same way, Bungie was starting to delete the AAs that weren't working out of Reach. Armor Lock was being deleted from certain spots and wasn't being used in new playlists, for example. They all got brought back in force after the TU, though.

And custom loadouts made a problem obvious in Halo 4: in 3 and Reach, a weapon was borked or too powerful? Do a global delete off maps or adjust it's timer. Halo 4? You let everyone choose almost every weapon as a starting gun. Meaning once a gun had an exploit discovered, everyone was going to switch to using it, and you couldn't just push out a map update to nerf it or make it unavailable. Same with problem AAs.

And yes, I think people would find them more tolerable if was easier to ID what someone was using at a glance.

Chettlar

Banned

This is also...exactly what I just said as well....

Mistel

Banned
I hope you mean Sandtrap lol.

But yeah I could definitely see a Sandtrap remake in H5 along with large scale battles with new promethean vehicles. Possibly Mammoths, too.
Nah I though sand trap was kinda dull, flipping the elephants was fun to though. A remake that combines the best of the pair, an evolution instead of a copy would be a nice idea.

Just played Halo (4) for the first time in three months, went 15-0, and got a double headshot kill with the sniper. Good times. I need to get a 360 again asap.
Randoms seem to get progressively worse, in 4 when I'm not even trying it's still easy. It took several people to kill me in 4 btb today. That's only on foot as well with just a carbine.

They could always just develop a suite of cohesive "bonuses" like camo, OS, etc. and present those as armor abilities in campaign, and then put them in multiplayer but grant them instant pickup, immediate initiation of usage, etc. as well as giving them all obvious, unique indicators of use.

A rare Overshield AA in Campaign would be pretty interesting, where activating it overcharges your shielding but has an extreme recharge rate.

Ora

Banned

Yeah my first game back after a few months I went 28-2, hit the ceiling twice, and went on a Rampage. It somehow wasn't much fun...

Chettlar

Banned
They could always just develop a suite of cohesive "bonuses" like camo, OS, etc. and present those as armor abilities in campaign, and then put them in multiplayer but grant them instant pickup, immediate initiation of usage, etc. as well as giving them all obvious, unique indicators of use.

A rare Overshield AA in Campaign would be pretty interesting, where activating it overcharges your shielding but has an extreme recharge rate.

So yeah, basically just have AAs work like AC and over shield in 3 MM. Or is that not what you're saying?

Sidewinder no limit touch return 2flag rip
Sanctuary bomb rip
Zanzibar 1bomb rip
Standoff 2flag rip

saneCTF rip
bomb rip

Guardian 1v1 rip

Havok

It's also a distant memory now, but Bungie also deleted the equipment that didn't work out in Halo 3. Yeah, the being able to do jumps with them was a known thing, but you could still do the jumps with the power drain. While I loved the strategic options of the Flare and Radar Jammer, half the time the Flare blinded yourself and the Radar Jammer scrambled everyone's radar, so nobody liked using it. The Deployable Cover was just never used at all.
Not to take away from or comment on the rest of this post, but just to chime in on this specific thing: I feel like more than anything (bug-related removals aside), people's distaste for or apathy towards these items was more an issue of context than anything. Why bother with an item like the Radar Jammer that forces strong communication and timing to get something out of it when there's a one-button AOE nuke that I can use instead, or a long-duration camping enabler? If the really thoughtful, nuanced items that had so much potential to create cool moments and enable the sort of push-heavy team gameplay like the Radar Jammer, Flare, and Gravity Lift did (well, could have) were the only equipment items out there, I think that game would have been dramatically better (or at least more interesting to me) as a result. It's sort of like having a Carbine or another mid-tier weapon while the map is littered with rocket launchers - of course the Carbine is going to be less appealing when there are so many options that are so much more cudgel-like in their effectiveness.

*Havoc is shaking his head somewhere right now*
These days it's more of a sad laugh than a head shake.

(also, Daybreak was the map that term was used for)

FYC

Banned
I have a few Reach ones I think I can share, I'll have to double-check about 4. I thought it'd be neat if a montage used a "channel surfing" format where the montage itself was being broadcasted on one channel, but for the opening / halftime show / end credits there were a few random channels like HGSTV, C-SPAN (but with halo drama, rip eazyb), etc. that had one-off gags.

Sure, keep the ideas comin'.

Ok I have some clips but I do have to know which fileformat you are able to edit, right now they are .ts

Unfortunately, I don't think .ts will work. I use Adobe Premiere Elements 10 to edit, I believe this is the list of supported filetypes:

3GPP (.3gp, .3g2)
Adobe Shockwave Flash (.swf)
Audio Video Interleave (.avi)
AVCHD (.m2ts, .mts)
DV stream (.dv)
H.264 (.mp4, .m4v)
H.264-encoded QuickTime (.mov, .mp4, .m4v)
MOD (.mod)
MPEG-1 (.m1v, .mpeg, .mpe)
MPEG-2 (.m2v, .mp2, .mpg)
MPEG-2 Transport Stream (.m2t)
QuickTime (.mov)
TOD (.tod)
Video Object (DVD video) (.vob)
Windows Media (.wmv) *
Windows Media Advanced Systems Format (.asf) *

So I think .m2ts should work, Nebula.

FyreWulff

Not to take away from or comment on the rest of this post, but just to chime in on this specific thing: I feel like more than anything (bug-related removals aside), people's distaste for or apathy towards these items was more an issue of context than anything. Why bother with an item like the Radar Jammer that forces strong communication and timing to get something out of it when there's a one-button AOE nuke that I can use instead, or a long-duration camping enabler? If the really thoughtful, nuanced items that had so much potential to create cool moments and enable the sort of push-heavy team gameplay like the Radar Jammer, Flare, and Gravity Lift did (well, could have) were the only equipment items out there, I think that game would have been dramatically better (or at least more interesting to me) as a result. It's sort of like having a Carbine or another mid-tier weapon while the map is littered with rocket launchers - of course the Carbine is going to be less appealing when there are so many options that are so much more cudgel-like in their effectiveness.

Yup, good point. People would often go "ugh, i just picked up a radar jammer" and just throw it to get rid of it.

I really wish the Flare could have worked out. Maybe if it didn't flare up until after a couple of seconds of being thrown. It would have been so damn good in objective play.

Yup, good point. People would often go "ugh, i just picked up a radar jammer" and just throw it to get rid of it.

I really wish the Flare could have worked out. Maybe if it didn't flare up until after a couple of seconds of being thrown. It would have been so damn good in objective play.

I blame poop jumping. Never got to even use the flare or radar jammer in the game to see if it works. I love the idea of those equipment (flare less so). I still like equipment more than AAs. Poop jumping ruined it for everybody.

Power-ups:
  • Camo
    so help me jesus 343..
  • OS
  • Speed Boost (strafe also gets better)
  • Damage Boost (remember, reduced aim assist and better movement)
  • Jump Boost (jump higher and fall faster (ie: Lightning Flag jump))
  • Promethean Vision (15 second duration, get over it -- Power-ups are designed to be broken and PV every 2 mins that lasts 15 secs or until you die is not an issue)
  • Holograph (creates a holograph that stands right next to you, think PDZ's CMP-150)
  • Sentinel (follows you around and casually shoots at people, mostly used to alert for enemies)

Grenades: (Like weapons on the HUD, they only appear once they're equipped and can only carry 2 types at a time)
  • Frag (2 -- CE grenades (stronger, larger blast radius, longer fuse time and "bouncier"))
  • Sticky (2)
  • Spike (2 -- stronger with increased radius)
  • Pulse (1 -- EMP effect and stronger than H4)
  • Incendiary (1)
  • Flashbang (1)
  • Proximity Mine (fucking 20 for all I care <3 and because who doesn't want to relive Goldeneye)
  • Beacon (1 -- these'll be great to promote no motion tracker as default Halo
    ;]
    )
  • Healing (1 -- replaces Regen. Field AA & Equipment)
  • Hologram (1 -- creates a Hologram that does a random animation (crouch walk forward, strafe and shoot, etc.)
  • Stationary Sentinel (1 -- same as regular Sentinel except you control where to place it)
  • Radar Jammer (1 -- lasts 5 secs)
  • Portal (1 -- first one plants one teleporter while the second plants the other, lasts 15 secs, OP so appears rarely)

*Note -- I feel like I have to state the obvious so remember, not all of these have to appear on every single map in every single gametype.

And whatever button you would normally use for an AA or Equipment is now for default Thrusters. We also don't need another Jet Pack type ability to easily break map flow, so for now I'd say no to a double jump of any sort. Who knows, could be alright..

Side Thought: I was thinking of a Vortex grenade, but that would actually be pretty badass if they gave that as an "alt-fire" for the Gravity Hammer (ie: Chieftain in Halo Wars). Press and hold B to create a Vortex (depletes ammo like PP overcharge). I wanted something similar for the Sword where you could press B to use it as a shield to partially absorb bullets (would too deplete ammo like PP overcharge and only cover the torso).

FyreWulff

I blame poop jumping. Never got to even use the flare or radar jammer in the game to see if it works. I love the idea of those equipment (flare less so). I still like equipment more than AAs. Poop jumping ruined it for everybody.

When ATLAS was still a thing, the deleted equipment was technically allowed on submitted maps. But I don't remember any of them making it into matchmaking with the deleted equipment intact.

Flame grenades were also removed/banned from community submissions, due to performance issues.

Chettlar

Banned
Post in the "Cronos level" thread. Thought it did a good job of pointing out what makes Halo so awesome.

Loved the hell out of that level in God of War 3, and just love everything about that game overall. But my personal pick from last gen would be a mission in Halo 3 called simply "The Covenant".

First off, it starts in the clouds with a group of Pelicans flying in formation before dropping you off on a forest beach, spartan laser in hand, to tackle a few squads of Covenant infantry and an AA gun emplacement.

That's already a cool and classic Halo setup, but its just the very beginning.

Once you clear the AA guns you get an airdrop of Warthogs you can use to fight your way up a mountain pass, tackling defensive turrets, light infantry, Ghosts and finally a pair of Wraith tanks and some Brute choppers when the path finally levels out.

This leads you to the first of the two control towers to assault. Inside the first forerunner structure you fight your way through Brutes, Grunts and Jackals until you reach the elevator to the control switch. That switch is guarded by a Brute Chieftain and a full Brute pack and makes for a harrowing mini-boss battle.

You're not done yet though. Once you've defeated the Brutes and flip the switch, you head back outside and work your way to the beach - and there find waiting Hornets (single pilot aircraft that two players can hand on the outside of) and take your fight to the skies. The level opens up into a sprawling battle between ground forces of infantry, turrets , AA guns, tanks, fuel rod equipped enemies, Banshees and Covenant dropships, all spread out and guarding the second forerunner tower.

After this battle you're still not fucking done. You've still got to clear out a landing spot, tackle the outer tower defenses and make your way into the facility proper. This time those halls are guarded by Grunts, Brutes and worst of all, Hunters. And even then once your reach the elevator you'll have a second Brute Chieftain and Brute Pack to deal with before you can flip the second switch.

And no, you're still not done.

At this point you make your way back outside and find Warthogs and a UNSC Scorpion tank. You'll need it as you push your way forward through a high and winding mountain road, littered with enemy vehicles, sniper perches and makeshift defenses. At the end of this long road of destruction are more Hornets and weapons parked at the ready. And that's when things get really interesting.

TWO huge Scarabs drop from the sky and dominate the valley below. Your job is to take both of these behemoths down by any means at your disposal. They're packing enough weaponry as is, but they're fully manned and crewed with Brutes and Jackals and Grunts and leaders, and helped out by skirmishing ghosts in the snow below.

Even after you watch the second Scarab go up in an explosive fireball, you're still not fucking done yet. You make your way into the main Forerunner structure which consists of a long series of hallways ending with a control room - the room where the Prophet of Truth is preparing to fire off the Halo rings. This long hallway is guarded by fuel rod Grunts and everything the Covenant can throw at you. Once you fight your way through, you have a final encounter with Truth and only then can you finally take a breath and relax a bit -- BUT NO - This is when the fucking Flood attacks from every angle, reanimating those fresh enemy corpses into combat forms.

The hallway is now littered with dozens of flood combat forms lunging and firing and stabbing and moaning and exploding. Only when you fight your way through the hallways again and defeat that entire horde do you at last reach the snowy valley again and complete the mission.

The level has always astonished me in terms of scale and scope and ambition, but its also crazy replayable and a very different experience each time. Play it with friends, play it with skulls, play it solo on legendary difficulty, play it on foot, play it with hogs filled to the brim with NPCs armed with heavy weapons, play it while trying to keep that brute chopper as long as you can. Whatever. Its epic, its insane, its sweeping and gargantuan and at times hard as nails, but it also shows off everything that makes Halo great.

It might also be one of the best shooter levels ever made. Its my personal favorite anyway.

---
I need to go so I'll just post this here now. Sorry for the huge post.

[snip of exactly the kind of thing Chettlar was trying to say but didn't do a very good job of because I'm better at it, etc.]

And indeed you are.

The only thing I would nitpick is the grenade "number of" part. I liked being able to have more than two grenade types, like in Halo 3. The reason not being able to do that would be an issue is like if I accidentally run over and pick up a type of grenade I didn't want and then not being able to pick up the one I did because I already had another type so now I'm filled up. So by the time I realize "Oh, I didn't pick up the one I want because I'm all full now" and try to rectify this by throwing the extra one somewhere, somebody already has the drop on me and I'm dead. And even if they don't, say there were two people dead in the same spot, so now even though you've gotten rid of the ones you don't want, you accidently pick up some more from the other dead guy, and all you were trying to do was pick up the damn other type of grenade in the first place.

If you aren't dead by this time, you've still lost a lot of play time. Sure, I could just move on, but it doesn't let me play the way I want to.

Halo should be about options and play creativity, and I think having this would complicate that a bit unnecessarily. Otherwise, I really like your post for the most part.

EDIT: also, any more than 4 would also be a bad thing, as any more than that starts complicating things again. The point of this entire post is that this should be simple, quick, and easy to do the things you want to do (like switching grenade types), so that in combat you aren't hindered in anyway.

Ghazi

Yeah, honestly, wtf would Ninja know? Last I heard he was getting into League and CoD lol.

And these "rumors" are garbage, as no one knows anything about the game yet.

Nebula

Sounds more like hopefulness from Ninja to be honest. Without a good competitive Halo, him and a lot of Halo Pros have nothing to do but try and get good at other competitive games.

It's easier and more profitable if they get to do Halo competitively again.

Sounds more like hopefulness from Ninja to be honest. Without a good competitive Halo, him and a lot of Halo Pros have nothing to do but try and get good at other competitive games.

It's easier and more profitable if they get to do Halo competitively again.
And more fun!

CyReN

I really don't see competitive Halo coming back, features will help but CoD got it by the balls. With the last 2 FPS Halo games, AGL stealing players money, and Halo Pros doing well in CoD now it's going to be interesting in the future. I'm sure there will be tourneys but nothing like it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom