• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

789shadow

Banned
Throwing aside the chances of Halo 2 Anniversary actually existing, the chances of it having

1. All the maps

and

2. Unchanged gameplay

is like nill

BUT A MAN CAN DREAM

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Saber is cool with me, but CA makes bad to mediocre maps with too many power weapons. I did really enjoy the updated maps in CEA, though.

TheOddOne

Then why should the topic be titled "rumor"? ;)

Why would they advertise the game right now with
"The award-winning Halo franchise continues on Xbox One, beginning in 2014."
if it's a remake
I don’t know why you keep insisting on using that line. It says that the franchise as a whole will continue on the XB1, the form is not specified. If it was a sequel, they would have said “a direct sequel to Halo 4” or some other variant of it.

IHaveIce

Banned
So is actual Halo 2 multiplayer confirmed? Thats all I care about. Would be cool if they fixed the button glitches and gave us bumper jumper. Updated playlists.

Of course the population would completely dwarf Halo 4 which would be real hilarious and make 343 sad so I'm not holding my breath.

I was expecting the H5 delay.. no company interested in making money is dumb enough to put Halo 4's sequel up against a new Bungie IP.
NO!
Well. I'm done. I will freeze myself till november

They said beginning,that word is suspect. It makes sense for Halo 2 since its the ann and they arent rushing Halo 5 already.
It's not because they first announced H4 as a part of a trilogy. they dropped the word trilogy for saga, but its already clear that the story will go through a few next halo titles

Also a leaker who registered just 1 day ago? Really?

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder... Could H2A have additional missions/cutscenes? Make a framing story around it, re-tell the story with comments, comments that tie to Halo 5?

It's not because they first announced H4 as a part of a trilogy. they dropped the word trilogy for saga, but its already clear that the story will go through a few next halo titles

Also a leaker who registered just 1 day ago? Really?

Of course the series will continue, i never said it wasn't. Major nelson mentioning the bees things and other little hints add up to it being Halo 2. The leaker was approved by bish you know right?

defghik

If there will be Halo 2 Anniversary, i bet it won't have original MP. Or it will be replaced with proto-Halo 5 MP. Or something like that.
And if it will have original MP, it will be fixed, no more button combos and such. Might actually play it if this were the case.

Though... perhaps i jinxed this by saying this. With my luck, they will bring back the MP unmodified. I'd very much like to play Halo 2 MP without all the BS it had...

Personally, I wouldn't buy H2A unless they had (relatively) unmodified online multiplayer included. I'd love it if they improved/updated the netcode (seriously, H2's netcode was garbage - if your reticule wasn't red, there was no lag compensation whatsoever, meaning the BR was useless off-host even at ranges like Carbine to Pink tower on Midship), but otherwise, I'd want it untouched. A huge part of H2's charm comes from the glitches.

Karl2177

Here's the thing about doing CEA versus an H2A. CEA used the same engine and the same netcode as CE. If you ever attempted co-op over XBL in Anny, it was all lockstep and, quite frankly, it wasn't fun with anything more than slight amounts of lag. CE's MP used lockstep. CEA's intention was to remake the game with the same engine. They can't just take out the netcode from the original because there could be some unintended consequences, and then it wouldn't be the same game like their intentions were. H2A doesn't have that problem, because it is already async networking for the MP portion. H2A campaign could, in theory, use the Azure stuff that Fyrewulff and I were talking about yesterday and it could have an async campaign, but I doubt that to be the case(since it is already lockstep).

Also, CEA had the issue of Reach being a year old on the same platform. H2A would be 2 years from Halo 4 and on a different system. 343 could port the Halo 4 MP to the One and include a set of Halo 2 maps. Personally, I think that's a bad idea unless they Megalo the crap out of it, but I'm not the one in charge of that decision.

Also, the leaker said that they were adding all sorts of stuff to it, so I doubt they are going for a 1-to-1 replica of H2A, like they were with CEA.

Chettlar

Banned
Ridiculous amounts of power weapons in their maps. And something about Halo CEA graphical style.
The first point is very true. The second point is rather subjective, i prefer CEA graphics to original ones...

Well I mean as long as they're only doing remakes of Bungie maps, what's the issue?And I liked CEA's art style, as I have said numerous times, so that's not an issue for me either.

The only issue I had with CE Anniversary's graphics were the forerunner stuff being way to shiny. I think a lot of people agree that the cold, silent, forgotten, ancient look, was much better.

I wish it had looked like that one section in the round room at the end of "Halo" in Halo 3.

Skip to "7:20." That is exactly how those rooms should have looked in Halo Anniversary.

Sordid

Someone told me there was going to be an alternative fucking ending.

"Master Chief, you mind telling me what you're doing on that ship?"
"Sir, finishing this fight Halsey is a bitch"

If it's real I hope they leave the multi intact. No altered maps, AA's or infinity crap pls.

TheXbox

I wonder... Could H2A have additional missions/cutscenes? Make a framing story around it, re-tell the story with comments, comments that tie to Halo 5?
I bet they'll include that demo mission from E3, I believe Frankie said it still exists and is playable. Beyond that, I imagine they'll throw in some terminals, make the skulls something you toggle, and obviously include updated/classic visuals. Said terminals will allude to story stuff in Halo 5, like the terminals in CEA did to 4.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I remember thinking how inferior and plain the campaign was compared to CE's in 2004. Can't say I'd care to play it in late 2014.
Yeah, it was a disappointment then, and I don't have much interest in replaying it. Multiplayer, however...

Also, the leaker said that they were adding all sorts of stuff to it, so I doubt they are going for a 1-to-1 replica of H2A, like they were with CEA.
I'm assuming they meant features, not gameplay changes. Who knows.

Edit : Wahrer asked to post this, and he wants Devo feedback.

ikw8irXRaIT1p.png

ElRenoRaven

"Master Chief, you mind telling me what you're doing on that ship?"
"Sir, finishing this fight Halsey is a bitch"

If it's real I hope they leave the multi intact. No altered maps, AA's or infinity crap pls.

ROFLMAO! I'd totally bust out laughing if he did that. This is one game I would not object to a minor edit of just leaving it end at Johnson and them asking where the ark is. To me that would have made the ending of the game ok.

ultimota

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
12/1/2014, not sure how long i've lurked for.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)
24, Australia

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
2001, played em all...still play em all

What mode do you spend most of your time in?
pretty even spread but multiplayer probably

What is your favorite playlist?
don't have a favorite but always had a extra soft spot for multi-team

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)
I play lots of mmo's
i love killer instinct :)
my girlfriend and i are about to have our first child :D

Woorloog

Banned
Personally, I wouldn't buy H2A unless they had (relatively) unmodified online multiplayer included. I'd love it if they improved/updated the netcode (seriously, H2's netcode was garbage - if your reticule wasn't red, there was no lag compensation whatsoever, meaning the BR was useless off-host even at ranges like Carbine to Pink tower on Midship), but otherwise, I'd want it untouched. A huge part of H2's charm comes from the glitches.

Glitches are okay in single player/campaign co-op. MP? They're cheating, exploiting. Even if everyone can do it, they're not intended to be part of the game. And worse, they create a hidden meta-game, that is inaccessible to the new and casual.
Were they an advertised part, i could accept them. (And the proceed to ignore the MP, as it wouldn't be the sort of game i like)

Well I mean as long as they're only doing remakes of Bungie maps, what's the issue?And I liked CEA's art style, as I have said numerous times, so that's not an issue for me either.

The only issue I had with CE Anniversary's graphics were the forerunner stuff being way to shiny. I think a lot of people agree that the cold, silent, forgotten, ancient look, was much better.

I wish it had looked like that one section in the round room at the end of "Halo" in Halo 3.

I prefer the shiny, alive look. Delta Halo should stick to dead, cold look though, considering the Flood are rampant on it.

And the problem with CA power weapons are that they filled remakes of Bungie maps with power weapons... admittedly for Reach versions, not the Anniversary version but still... And their original maps are not any better in this regard.

Chettlar

Banned
Posted some new info from a PM with ntkrnl on page 11 of the Halo 2 A thread if anybody's interested.

edit: Meh, here it is:

Just got a PM back from ntkrnl:

Chettlar said:
I only really had two questions for you. I posted the first in the Halo 2 Anniversary thread if you don't mind answering. It's on the 8th page or something like that. I bolded it, so you should find it easy enough.

The other one is what do you mean by "WITH TONS OF SHIT" in your first post mentioning Halo 2A? Are you saying they added a bunch of stuff? Reworked campaign? Just a clarification question. Thanks.

ntkrnl said:
Definitely 1080p. 60 FPS is... possible. Unlikely to happen though.

Second, yes. Bunch of stuff... I will reveal eventually.

Still think H2A rumors are fake

There was way too much marketing to let us think the Halo 4 Sequel will be released this year. They even showed a first artwork with the Infinity and alle promotion material is about the Post H4 Chief with dead cortana.
E3's announcement only was that Halo is coming out on Xbox One. They never specified what it was.

Furthermore:
"In closing, I will leave you with this image from Sparth – an early exploration of a new location that features prominently in a little game project we’re tinkering with…."

Of course, that could be a lie. Anyway, if we look at the fiction, Infinity prominently appears in pieces which has nothing to do with Master Chief's journey. No mention of the Chief in Spartan Ops, no real appearance in Escalation. Just because the Infinity appears in the concept art, does not mean it is a piece of the next big game. What if it is the concept art of a new multiplayer map for Halo 2: Anniversary? What if it is another endeavour in the mobile gaming world?

Yeah, it was a disappointment then, and I don't have much interest in replaying it. Multiplayer, however...

Multi is a mouth watering prospect if done right. Problem is, what do people consider 'right'? In 343's position I'd be reticent to make any changes gameplay-wise (obviously remove super bouncing) but personally I'm not a huge fan of halo 2's gunplay. The aim assist was absolutely ridiculous in that game and it should be tuned down.

Return of ELO ranking? Lol

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 2 Anni with a real ending, better graphics, released alongside a Halo MP sandbox editor would be cool.

They will never add "a real ending" to it, considering Halo 3 is that, and Halo 4 continues from that, along with all the expanded universe...

Blueblur1

I hope it's Halo 2 MP or as close as possible. If this is all true and there is multiplayer, I wonder if it might be an experiment of sorts. Maybe this is how they test classic Halo gameplay without tying it to a major sequel.

ElRenoRaven

2's campaign is damn awful. Well. Except for the cutscenes. Best cutscenes in the franchise. Imagine the cutscenes with 343i technology. *drool*

You know it took me many years but I actually grew to love Halo 2's campaign. Sure it's linear as hell. Kind of like another Halo game we know. Sure the ending hurt but like I mentioned if they had just ended it with them asking where the ark was and then cutting to a scene of the ship flying through space I'd have been fine with it. Now looking back it's right up there with 1&3 for me. Reach is a hair behind them just due to the armor abilities. Same with 4.

They will never add "a real ending" to it, considering Halo 3 is that, and Halo 4 continues from that, along with all the expanded universe...
Why? They can. There is ton of stuff to tell: Chief's adventure on the dreadnought. Arbiter, Johnson and Keyes' journey back to Earth and the first defense against the Covenant.

You know it took me many years but I actually grew to love Halo 2's campaign. Sure it's linear as hell. Kind of like another Halo game we know. Sure the ending hurt but like I mentioned if they had just ended it with them asking where the ark was and then cutting to a scene of the ship flying through space I'd have been fine with it. Now looking back it's right up there with 1&3 for me. Reach is a hair behind them just due to the armor abilities. Same with 4.
It's fun on normal. But it's awful on every difficult over that. Getting killed because the enemy has stronger weapons is no fun. Brutes are bullet sponges like the Knights. etc.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I could see them including an extended ending cinematic that adds to the ending, making it feel more meaty and satisfying.

I hope it's Halo 2 MP or as close as possible. If this is all true and there is multiplayer, I wonder if it might be an experiment of sorts. Maybe this is how they test classic Halo gameplay without tying it to a major sequel.

I was thinking this might be a test as well for Halo 5 but wouldn't they not have enough time to decide?

ElRenoRaven

Why? They can. There is ton of stuff to tell: Chief's adventure on the dreadnought, Arbiter, Johnson and Keyes' journey back to Earth and the first defense against the Covenant.

Hmm. Good point. The comic was cool but yea it would be interesting to play a level at least on the dreadnought.

Chettlar

Banned
How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
12/1/2014, not sure how long i've lurked for.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)
24, Australia

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
2001, played em all...still play em all

What mode do you spend most of your time in?
pretty even spread but multiplayer probably

What is your favorite playlist?
don't have a favorite but always had a extra soft spot for multi-team

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)
I play lots of mmo's
i love killer instinct :)
my girlfriend and i are about to have our first child :D

How did you get a hold of this? Did somebody PM the list to you?

Trey

I don't think most people will care if H2A retcons a graphic novel as inconsequential as the one that bridges Halo 2 and 3.

Woorloog

Banned
Why? They can. There is ton of stuff to tell: Chief's adventure on the dreadnought, Arbiter, Johnson and Keyes' journey back to Earth and the first defense against the Covenant.

Ah but that is not "ending", it would be covering the missing parts. I figured Trey meant adding the original intended ending.
I don't think most people will care if H2A retcons a graphic novel as inconsequential as the one that bridges Halo 2 and 3.

Eh, did you mean what Hyper says or what i thought you meant?

ElRenoRaven

Ah but that is not "ending", it would be covering the missing parts. I figured Trey meant adding the original intended ending.

You know though that would be kind of cool to see some of the levels cut including the ending in sort of an extras section. Even if they're not fully playable. Kind of like Twisted Metal Head on for PS2 used a cut on foot section from Twisted Metal Black 2 as a kind of twisted metal making of facts tour.

Woorloog

Banned
You know though that would be kind of cool to see some of the levels cut including the ending in sort of an extras section. Even if they're not fully playable. Kind of like Twisted Metal Head on for PS2 used a cut on foot section from Twisted Metal Black 2 as a kind of twisted metal making of museum.

Playable deleted scenes? Yes please!
That would be great. It is always interesting to see what was left on the cutting room floor.

Nebula

Storms got all our dirtiest and most horrid posts bookmarked, waiting to throw them at us!

I'd be down for extending on current parts of the campaign.

Chettlar

Banned
You know though that would be kind of cool to see some of the levels cut including the ending in sort of an extras section. Even if they're not fully playable. Kind of like Twisted Metal Head on for PS2 used a cut on foot section from Twisted Metal Black 2 as a kind of twisted metal making of facts tour.

I suggested something like this a few pages back and got told it was a stupid idea. :/

Like a "deleted scenes" section. Maybe have some intro cutscenes (or just some drawing and explanation if the level was way removed from the final product) to help the player understand what's going on, and then drop them off in the level.

You could even have an audio commentary going on during all this, ala portal.

No more complaining about people ignoring your posts ever again.

EDIT didn't see this before I posted. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom