• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

belushy

Banned
Literally, I can't believe the amount of info dropped today. And it was all good news! Craziness!

I do wish 343/MS would have been more forward about the XB1 Halo game launching this year, but perhaps why they choose to use that trailer will make sense soon.

Yep. Really excited to see if all of this is true. E3 is still so far away though... I wonder if we will get confirmation any time sooner than that.

Frank and DEllis silence speaks volumes. This is megaton news and they haven't acknowledged it. And if Verge has confirmed the white Xbox One news, safe to say the rest is also true.

What can they really do as it is, they can deny but if it's true they don't want to be liars and if they acknowledge it takes away all the hype. I mean they probably wanted to blow fans away with Chief in New Mombasa in 1080p with completely redone visuals at E3, now we know why Halo 5 wasn't shown in the list of games to come this year, why they never really named a title, were just vague with Halo this year, dedicated servers, 60 FPS.

Ellis probably broke a couple teeth with the gritting he did today.

nillapuddin

I never fully bit on H5 this fall, a mainline Halo game cannot have the turn around time of COD.

I do know, that whenever Halo "5" comes out, it will need to be the best looking, most feature rich, enjoyable experience on the console, regaining its "Killer App" status.

(crosses fingers)

Computron

[. . .] they can deny but if it's true they don't want to be liars [. . .]

You-Think-Somebody-Would-Do-That-Go-On-The-Internet-and-Tell-Lies-Meme-Gif.gif

Although, i'm not sure... Did Frank ever explicitly say H2:a wouldn't happen?

belushy

Banned
I feel like I've seen him post "No." or something along those lines in reply before, but I might just be thinking of the Halo CE,2,3 Steam threads.

Ora

Banned
Lol, Stinkles is probably online right now, bottle of Scotch with him, saying 'eff you' to the screen like that guy in Cabin in the Woods when the Japanese girls defeated their monster.

lol great movie.

And launching Halo 2 Anniversary with the classic multiplayer could be a great move by 343. This could put to rest the debates regarding classic Halo's success in the modern day, and 343 can shape Halo 5 mp accordingly. win/win

If I recall correctly, Frankie had said if they ever did HALO 2 Anniversary, it would be a different approach than CEA. Which makes me incredibly optimistic about the original MP suite coming with the game, and perhaps tweaks, changes and additions to better the Halo 2 SP.

Imagine the fanfare they would get if they reimplemented the Halo 2 e3 reveal scenario, with MC on earth. It would be incredible if they showed off the same sequence at e3 this year, only knowing that it would actually happen this time.

I wouldn't be opposed them tweaking the way certain AI behaves, specifically Brutes.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
posted in the rumors thread in th egaming forum, but thought it may be worth cross posting here

so, the big question (for me anyways) is - does halo 2 anniversary + mp component signal that 343i is returning to the roots of halo gameplay? or possibly with this release 343i has the excuse to take halo in whatever the hell direction they want with halo 5 because the old school players will still have what they want to play?

could be i'm over thinking this and looking for answer (from rumors no less) that arent there

posted in the rumors thread in th egaming forum, but thought it may be worth cross posting here

so, the big question (for me anyways) is - does halo 2 anniversary + mp component signal that 343i is returning to the roots of halo gameplay? or possibly with this release 343i has the excuse to take halo in whatever the hell direction they want with halo 5 because the old school players will still have what they want to play?

could be i'm over thinking this and looking for answer (from rumors no less) that arent there

Frankie teased us a while a back that the next Halo's multiplayer would "focus on classic Halo fundamentals", but the problem with that, is that it could literally mean anything. But it's definitely somewhat likely.

Fuchsdh

You are entirely overthinking it. Then again there's really nothing to base any sort of opinion on what it could be, so rampant speculation or none at all seems to be the only permissible binary :p

Personally a H2A with a decent selection of Halo 2's best multiplayer maps (it would be crazy if they managed to turn around even a significant chunk of all the maps that came out for that game) and slightly more polished campaign would be great, I'd certainly buy it.

I dunno. While this H2A in 2014 rumor tacitly endorses my earlier (Halo 5 isn't coming in 2015, hence Halo on Xbox One) speculation, I still feel iffy that they'd actually do it. We'll see I guess.

Korosenai

Frankie teased us a while a back that the next Halo's multiplayer would "focus on classic Halo fundamentals", but the problem with that, is that it could literally mean anything. But it's definitely somewhat likely.
Your quote basically shows that Frankie was hinting at H2A, when put into the context of these new leaks lol.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Your quote basically shows that Frankie was hinting at H2A, when put into the context of these new leaks lol.

yeah, it does. it would also allow them more flexibility in changing up the formula for halo 5 - something they said they didnt take far enough with halo 4.

lol great movie.

And launching Halo 2 Anniversary with the classic multiplayer could be a great move by 343. This could put to rest the debates regarding classic Halo's success in the modern day, and 343 can shape Halo 5 mp accordingly. win/win

Exactly, the rage that would consume everyone if they didn't release multiplayer or made it like the current games, would be horrifying.

Fuchsdh

yeah, it does. it would also allow them more flexibility in changing up the formula for halo 5 - something they said they didnt take far enough with halo 4.

I fully want them to offer more gameplay and genre variation, but mainline Halos have certain expectations. You are going to be stuck with the damned if you don't change the gameplay, damned if you do-schtick from reviewers and players, but to me it makes more sense to make larger differences to the gameplay in spinoffs or even another Halo game series than to the numbered sequels.

Expectations are after all a large part of our reactions. Halo: COD would not have been everyone's cup of tea, but I imagine a lot of people here would not have had the visceral reaction to the multiplayer that they did to Halo 4.

It was put in a thread that was expressing wishlists for the next Halo game. It wouldn't make sense for Frank to be teasing people like that. He would have to be literally evil.

Its possible he was trollin but who knows. Doesn't he hint at stuff even though its not outright obvious? I think he said something about joe staten and then the next thing we know joe joins Microsoft.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
After thinking about it, an XB1 without a disc drive wouldn't be so bad. I'd probably just use it as a Halo Machine, anyways.

I can't see 343 releasing Halo 2 multiplayer and then straying even further away from that classic Halo gameplay when Halo 5 releases. It would piss of Halo fans even more. If this is real, which at this point it has to be because of the silence from MS people, Halo 5 has got to be more old-school classic Halo than 4.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I can't see 343 releasing Halo 2 multiplayer and then straying even further away from that classic Halo gameplay when Halo 5 releases. It would piss of Halo fans even more. If this is real, which at this point it has to be because of the silence from MS people, Halo 5 has got to be more old-school classic Halo than 4.
Or, as others have speculated, maybe they're releasing H2A to help appease old time fans, while continuing down the Halo 4 route with Halo 5. It's all speculation at this point.

Fuchsdh

After thinking about it, an XB1 without a disc drive wouldn't be so bad. I'd probably just use it as a Halo Machine, anyways.

I expect at least by the end of the generation we'll see a disc-less XB1 SKU. If it weren't for slow bandwidth I'd certainly think about it--and in terms of longevity the optical drive is prolly the thing that's going to get hosed or break most often.

This is super old but means they definitely haven't shut down the idea:

"But back to the 2014 timing. Does this mean Halo 2 Anniversary won’t happen? Because surely Microsoft wouldn’t release two Master Chief-starring first-person Halo games in the same year, right? “I’ll be open,” Spencer began. “We have discussions about it. It’s more about the right time and making sure that we really would do the right thing for the franchise."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/25/microsoft-on-halo-5-halo-2-anniversary

This could be the right time, gives H5 more dev time and 343i's time with the One to get used to the hardware. I also remember them saying if there was enough demand for it they would do it.

Fracas

#fuckonami

I thought about it for awhile, but I would much rather have physical discs. Microsoft still has a long way to go with their digital pricing in order to get me onboard with a digital download only console.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I thought about it for awhile, but I would much rather have physical discs. Microsoft still has a long way to go with their digital pricing in order to get me onboard with a digital download only console.
That's how I'd feel if I were planning on buying a ton of games for the thing, but if I'm just buying Halo games and a few others, I wouldn't mind.

Or, as others have speculated, maybe they're releasing H2A to help appease old time fans, while continuing down the Halo 4 route with Halo 5. It's all speculation at this point.

Maybe, but I can't see them going the Halo 4 route again. Either Halo 5 is classic Halo or something totally different, like a large scale Battlefield type experience.

That is what i am worried about. Older fans will appreciate Halo 2 but they also want the future of the franchise to do the right thing. Then again 343 at least added some stuff on H4 like weapon pickups so there may be hope for Halo 5 to be like the older titles.

So this just occurred to me.

That leak about Halo 2 Anniversary and then there was that comment about an "alternate ending".

What if they create their own mission allowing us to play as Chief breaking out of the Forerunner Dreadnought, ending with Chief jumping out of the ship and crashing toward earth.

Is such a thing even possible?

That is what i am worried about. Older fans will appreciate Halo 2 but they also want the future of the franchise to do the right thing. Then again 343 at least added some stuff on H4 like weapon pickups so there may be hope for Halo 5 to be like the older titles.

Yeah, I totally agree, especially with Ghostayme, Neighbor and Dersky being a part of the testing team, and Bravo at 343 (and our boy Stinkles loving his fundamental Halo), I have hope.

So this just occurred to me.

That leak about Halo 2 Anniversary and then there was that comment about an "alternate ending".

What if they create their own mission allowing us to play as Chief breaking out of the Forerunner Dreadnought, ending with Chief jumping out of the ship and crashing toward earth.

Is such a thing even possible?

There's a lot of material they cut in the crunch that they could could integrate I'm sure. Competently done, it would be beyond amazing.

Omni

Umm... What's this about Halo 2? I'm on mobile so it's a slow process, but I don't see any references as to why someone would assume that it's being made?

Edit. Oh wait. I missed the big fucking thread haha. Jumping on the hype train

There's a lot of material they cut in the crunch that they could could integrate I'm sure. Competently done, it would be beyond amazing.

Forerunner tank. "Awesomeness would ensue"

Believe

Umm... What's this about Halo 2? I'm on mobile so it's a slow process, but I don't see any references as to why someone would assume that it's being made?

A guy over on gaming side verified by Bish(not publicly) has leaked a ton of supposed future information. Stuff about TitanFall DLC, Sunset Overdrive release, Quantum Break release, Halo 2 Anniversary this year Halo 5 next year, and a bunch of other stuff.

I think it's a brilliant idea to release Halo 2 HD this year.

1) High Demand = $$$

2) It gives 343 more time to focus on polishing Halo 5 and be familiar with the XB1 tech. than later on the tech. used in Halo 2 Anni will be even more impressive in 2016-17.

Mod verified leaker who had some of his other stuff verified so far, said it's being made for release in 2014 and Halo 5 is being delayed until 2015. Also leaked a ton of other stuff worth checking out, including White 1TB Xbone.

I think it's a brilliant idea to release Halo 2 HD this year.

1) High Demand = $$$

2) It gives 343 more time to focus on polishing Halo 5 and be familiar with the XB1 tech. than later on the tech. used in Halo 2 Anni will be even more impressive in 2016-17.

Yep, it's perfect. Almost too perfect for what we've been used to the last few years.

So this is cool, Destiny's PS4 exclusive content is timed release as previously believed after all.

Such good news coming out today, I was certain this would be the case, but yeah, XBone while not releasing the info themselves, if it turns out to be true i'll be glad I stuck with MS.

GreyWind

HaloUiexperiment.png

I'd like to say that I'm not a pro in making UI/UX design. Here's one of my first concepts. Last time I posted, I suggested how I was a fan of the top hero banner that displays the map in Custom games, well I tried to combine that with 3/Reach's design and this was the result. I know I'm missing a bunch of stuff but WIP I guess.

Fracas

#fuckonami
ruh roh
Halo 5 beta is going to be fun... should run throughout December, 6-8 maps, 2 arena maps, 2 forge maps.

BTW, the maps are going to be huge.

I don't know anymore about this guy though. There's a very small chance something like this is already planned and these details are so specific.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not expecting any cut campaign content in H2A, but I'd love to be wrong. I think we're more likely to see new cutscenes / terminals expanding on the abrupt ending.

well shit

m23

That is the plan.

Let me reiterate some of the Halo stuff, as there is some confusion and I didn't lay all the cards down.

Two versions of H2A.

Collectors Edition with the Beta access, the Halo series (not the Blomkamp one)

War Collection with the above, as well as ports of Halo 3 & 4 for XB1.

Some more.

Fuchsdh

HaloUiexperiment.png

I'd like to say that I'm not a pro in making UI/UX design. Here's one of my first concepts. Last time I posted, I suggested how I was a fan of the top hero banner that displays the map in Custom games, well I tried to combine that with 3/Reach's design and this was the result. I know I'm missing a bunch of stuff but WIP I guess.

I think you could filll in some of that empty space on the left with gametype info, etc, but I appreciate the cleaness of it and the good use of negative space.

Wouldn't it make sense that the Halo 2 remake (or whatever Halo if we get one) came with the access to the Halo 5 beta?

Omni

Mod verified leaker who had some of his other stuff verified so far, said it's being made for release in 2014 and Halo 5 is being delayed until 2015. Also leaked a ton of other stuff worth checking out, including White 1TB .
Yeah, just saw the thread.

I really hope that it's true. And if it is real, that they throw out Halo 4 assets and use the Reach ones again... I'll be so disappointed if they're using the monstrosities that are the Halo 4 redesigns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom