• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Damn.

So much info dumped tonight, I don't know what to make of it. Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 3, and Halo 4 all on Xbox One, with a Halo 5 beta scheduled for the end of the year. But again, why not port Reach?

Edit : Or ODST?

El_Chino

Damn.

So much info dumped tonight, I don't know what to make of it. Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 3, and Halo 4 all on Xbox One, with a Halo 5 beta scheduled for the end of the year. But again, why not port Reach?
I guess they only want Master Chief's story.

Damn.

Edit : Or ODST?

Because everyone hates Reach.

Edit: and ODST.

Nah, they're probably just not considered game important to the story of Halo 5, and therefore Microsoft doesn't want to put the time nor effort to port them to Xbox One.

senador

Banned
Here is a gif(t) from Wahrer. Sorry in advance.

Respawn specifically denied this, and holy fuck, is this how Microsoft caught CBOAT? Damn if so. :eek:

Pretty damn ingenious and evil for Microsoft to send different people false information, to see who the leaker is.

It added to the whole craziness of the night so I included it.

If true it was a smart idea, but evil? How else do they catch him? "Please stop leaking you guys. We got enough holes in this here Seaboat."

Here is a gif(t) from Wahrer. Sorry in advance.

It added to the whole craziness of the night so I included it.

If true it was a smart idea, but evil? How else do they catch him? "Please stop leaking you guys. We got enough holes in this here Seaboat."

Ask the moderators at NeoGAF really nicely to give up CBOAT?

Lol

Nah, but I mean, I just feel bad that they're probably punishing this guy as hard as they legally can. Hope CBOAT isn't hit too hard.

Well. This quote feels somehow fitting with the leaks. Considering what hit the cutting floor in Halo 2 development...

What is your favorite area or subarea of the franchise to explore and write about?

My favorite area in Halo canon is easily the rich lore around the forging and fomenting of the Covenant, particularly the war between the Prophets and the Elites. There’s something primal and profound about that era, when the Covenant wasn’t so much an alliance of billions of aliens, but just an agreement between two species not to kill each other. The events in and around that time period, from the Prophets’ own brutal civil war to the subjugation of the Brutes on Doisac--there’s just a lot of really cool moments there that are huge in the history of Halo, but have seen little light of day yet outside of the story bible. Don’t get me wrong, I love the other parts too--there’s just something special about the Covenant’s origin that I find interesting.
https://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2014/01/29/The-Halo-Bulletin-12914.aspx

(And that fiction tease. Geez)

Halo 2!!!

I actually thought the single player campaign in Halo 2 was great. Play Halo 4 single player, then go back to Halo 2 and it seems brilliant! ;-)

NewMombasa_zps6107e7c3.png
lol. Play Halo 4, then go back to Halo 2 and you get reminded how similar both games are. Halo 2's single player campaign is as great as Halo 4. Both have major flaws. Both have a dark color palette.

senador

Banned
Ask the moderators at NeoGAF really nicely to give up CBOAT?

Lol

Nah, but I mean, I just feel bad that they're probably punishing this guy as hard as they legally can. Hope CBOAT isn't hit too hard.

They have broken and are breaking company rules/policies/NDA/etc. If caught, they are fucked in so many ways both with their job and legally. And rightfully so, unfortunately.

Wait, CBoaT got caught?
And Microsoft did this? For real?

We don't really know. Some think so but it doesn't seem like it.

Halo: I haven't been around here in forever. So many handles I don't recognize. What's up? If today's news is true, I dig it. Halo 2 is cool and I don't know if I'll be quite ready for Halo 5 yet. Need more time. Consoles are new, lots of new games, lots going on. Plus any more time for development is probably good.

With this as a given example, and a scenario with ALOT going on, I tried to replicate it in my nilla style, album (all images showin in this post)

9X8CBA2.jpg

7gqCXQt.jpg

obviously some of the assets need to be improved (emblems and mic icons) but just for the sake of duplication I left them untouched

additionally, if yall dont like the horizontal slide, the secondary content column is designed to fit in the middle

this is fun
with H2 Anni "coming", this seems more relevant lol

edit: so many things to be improved, font with shadows, button placement, button backgrounds, opacity balancing, ugh, this is why I will always be an "amateur" designer lol

So this is essentially your grid with more lines so we can see where multiple content lines up.

TgClnas.png

Here it is without the image.

R7y6Phn.png

Are you actually making a grid? The importance of a simple grid is consistency across multiple pages, screens, etc. Let's say I want 5 rows and 5 columns with about 20 pixels of gutter and outer margins of 40. I'd have something like this:

Here are some possible layouts all keeping the same grid.

The reason I ask about yours is it seems really fine tuned to just this screen. What about other lobbies and pregame areas?

Omni

He goes by Famousmortimer here on GAF. He is another guy who gets insider information all the time.
Hmm.

I'm not certain that he knows anything tbh. He turns up in that thread and says the Titanfall console is fake and that oh wait. He already knew about the Halo thing. As if it was old news or something

belushy

Banned
Hmm.

I'm not certain that he knows anything tbh. He turns up in that thread and says the Titanfall console is fake and that oh wait. He already knew about the Halo thing. As if it was old news or something

Well he never said the Halo stuff was bs before, just the Titanfall leak. He was out on a cruise all week so that might be why he hadn't seen the Titanfall console stuff by that point. After the main thread was closed, he went into another thread that was discussing the leaks and said right off the bat that he had heard the same stuff, but denied having heard about the Titanfall stuff. I doubt he has access to all his insider stuff whenever he wants, so that might be why he changed his tune, after get confirmation from his insiders.

I guess we'll know by March. The other leaker said the Halo stuff will probably be official by then.

So GAF mods verifying a user is usually pretty solid, right?

I was hyped when I heard the Halo 2 stuff, but I don't know...

My gut tells me this guy sounds full of shit.

My heart tells me to believe.

So GAF mods verifying a user is usually pretty solid, right?

I was hyped when I heard the Halo 2 stuff, but I don't know...

My gut tells me this guy sounds full of shit.

My heart tells me to believe.
No, actually no proof is involved in the mod verifying, just a background check. I'm quoting a Neogaf mod:
We don't need your full name and identity or anything, just a sort of brief summary about whether you're speaking first-hand or second-hand, and what your work position is such that you'd have this information. I'll also note that if stuff turns out to be totally wrong and it becomes clear you made it up--there's a difference between this and information changing, which is totally normal--obviously your account will be forfeit.
So there's actually no proof for that information. Also his titanfall console image is cleary fake, since it's showing two different versions of the console on the same image. The honeycomb structure on the front and on the top also dont fit on the edge between front and top
jBZiuWu.png

I think the Witchhunt for CBOAT theory is much more plausible. There are too many things that just sounds unbelievable from the leaker, like H2A, H3 Port, H4 Port and H5 in one year - No way! 343i could never support 4 titles at the same time and it would destroy the complete playercount for H5 MP

Madness

Let's look at some key things, most of 343 has been somewhat silent. Usually they laugh off or deny rumors. Two independent sites have confirmed the leakers information regarding a white Xbox One and possible all-digital SKU possibly months before manufacturing of said consoles.

Then you have insiders verify a lot of knowledge but they're skeptical it's a controlled leak. However, now guys like Mortimer are saying that it's true, but that it's not a controlled leak and that our leaker is possibly fucked.

The leaker was personally verified by Bish, not only is he in the industry but if the leaker proved trustworthy enough for him, it means he's speaking the truth. The only thing we don't really know is whether it was a controlled leak or an uncontrolled leak. The guy laughed off the rumors and I doubt MS would want their hardware and software road map for the next year or two released in some meta/honeytrap way to make GAF or CboaT look bad.

All I'm confused about is the Halo stuff. Maybe he read some spreadsheet that detailed it all, maybe he saw the games in motion, but he seems to be adamant and specific about things like H2 Anniversary for sure, a Halo 5 beta, and Halo 5 next year. Pretty crazy and I wish Frank or David would post here, but I can see why they won't. Microsoft is probably going to have emails flying like crazy tomorrow to all divisions, intense meetings will be held. It's crazy how guys like Phil Spencer, Major Nelson have gone dark on Twitter as well.

Omni

Well he never said the Halo stuff was bs before, just the Titanfall leak. He was out on a cruise all week so that might be why he hadn't seen the Titanfall console stuff by that point. After the main thread was closed, he went into another thread that was discussing the leaks and said right off the bat that he had heard the same stuff, but denied having heard about the Titanfall stuff. I doubt he has access to all his insider stuff whenever he wants, so that might be why he changed his tune, after get confirmation from his insiders.

I guess we'll know by March. The other leaker said the Halo stuff will probably be official by then
Yeah. I am a little surprised that Frankie or Ellis haven't chimed in on it all though. Usually they're pretty quick to shoot down rumours but I guess they're busy or whatever.

Still... If it's true. E3 is gonna be sooooo good this year. But I'd hate to think what the hell Microsoft would do to the person who leaked all of this if they were to find out. Career suicide.

Maybe it's a new form of viral marketing. think about it, everybody starts hyping Halo or at least talks about it and the xbox one. No matter if the rumors will turn out true or false, they are really in the focus of a big part of the gaming community.

And they clearly have a great example how the community would react to a Halo 2 Anniversary or a classic Halo Multiplayer experience in H5.

So why should 343i want to stop the community to really discuss and talk about Halo? This is really great advertising for every kind of Halo that will be launch in 2014

Omni

Maybe it's a new form of viral marketing. think about it, everybody starts hyping Halo or at least talks about it and the xbox one. No matter if the rumors will turn out true or false, they are really in the focus of a big part of the gaming community.

And they clearly have a great example how the community would react to a Halo 2 Anniversary or a classic Halo Multiplayer experience in H5.
They don't need rumours to see how people would react to a Halo 2 anniversary. Since CEA was released we've been asking for Halo 2 here, on Waypoint, bungie, in interviews... whatever, constantly. They'd be pretty oblivious if they needed more feedback to the prospect.

If this was a controlled leak and turned out to be fake, all it would do is create disappointment when they ultimately just release Halo 5 this year. You hype Halo 5 by hyping Halo 5... Not by dropping unrelated bombshells

Madness

FamousMortimer is now saying that MS is really wanting to go after this guy for leaking trade secrets and want to press charges. I'm pretty sure it's all true, that it wasn't a controlled leak and everyone from Respawn/EA, 343, Platinum, and others are probably super upset.

I mean think about it, this guy just leaked a lot of the hardware and software road map for MS for like the next two years in a sense.

I want to know how he got all this info now.

Ok just saw that Rob Semsey answered me on twitter:

@steveaa
@RobSemsey Can you confirm that Halo Xbox One in 2014 is the sequel to Halo 4 and not instead just H2A? These rumors sounds so silly

@RobSemsey
@steveaa Rumors are a natural part of this industry. We'll talk about Halo in due time :)

Now I'm curious Oo

Omni

I was horrible at Halo 2... Mostly because of shitty netcode and internet back then. Barely pulled away with a 1 k/d. One of the lowest ranks too. :eek:

Mistel

Banned
All I can remember is waterworks and turf, it's going to be a fun time to learn every weapon placement again. I do hope they give us some control scheme choices, that are close to the CEA and reach defaults.

No, actually no proof is involved in the mod verifying, just a background check. I'm quoting a Neogaf mod:

So there's actually no proof for that information. Also his titanfall console image is cleary fake, since it's showing two different versions of the console on the same image. The honeycomb structure on the front and on the top also dont fit on the edge between front and top
jBZiuWu.png

I think the Witchhunt for CBOAT theory is much more plausible. There are too many things that just sounds unbelievable from the leaker, like H2A, H3 Port, H4 Port and H5 in one year - No way! 343i could never support 4 titles at the same time and it would destroy the complete playercount for H5 MP
Bish is god-like. He is in the industry himself. If he verifies something, it is pretty spot-on.

About the Titanfall console, design looks pretty real for me. Of course, someone could have planned a big fuck-up like this just to mess up with Microsoft fanboys. But other sites confirmed his rumours. I do not think that these sites would sacrifice their credible for such a thing. Furthermore, the console picture does not look like a final promotional piece, but more like an internal image. The design gets through different design stages, and the creator of this mock-up used a picture of the console from different stage than the console package. Or the other way around. We will find out if his rumours are true in a few weeks...

Mistel

Banned
If you have a higher position at Microsoft Game Studios, you have the access to these kind of information.
I wonder how easy it would be to identify the leaker? I though MS wants to press charges on them.

Where's that corporate espionage poster from fallout when you need it...

Nebula

I wonder how easy it would be to identify the leaker? I though MS wants to press charges on them.

Where's that corporate espionage poster from fallout when you need it...

YoYeHq1.png

Spread very specific seeds and see what seed grows. Microsoft were incredibly clever on this front. That huge Xbox One related bomb from that other leaker would have drove CBOAT to want to get his spotlight back. I mean people were saying that the new leaker knocked CBOAT of the top in that thread and CBOATs.

This is all assuming they were trying to smoke him out in the first place.

wwm0nkey

FamousMortimer is now saying that MS is really wanting to go after this guy for leaking trade secrets and want to press charges. I'm pretty sure it's all true, that it wasn't a controlled leak and everyone from Respawn/EA, 343, Platinum, and others are probably super upset.

I mean think about it, this guy just leaked a lot of the hardware and software road map for MS for like the next two years in a sense.

I want to know how he got all this info now.
Seriously? Damn

Madness

Problem is, if others are saying the TitanFall Xbox One SKU is real, this guy just screwed over EA/Respawn too. I mean this limited edition bundle wasn't even hinted at, just a controller. And now that we know a 1 terabyte hdd, white Xbox One is coming later this year, possibly a cheaper all digital SKU, a lot of people will also wait.

I just don't see how a leak of this nature really benefits MS. Even the guys like Mortimer and thuway who were saying this was a controlled leak, an attempt to get CBoaT or make GAF look bad are now saying that MS has lawyered up and want this guy and that it's pretty much ruined all of their first party E3 releases.

Edit: This guy mentioned BT and their Shangheist codename game, Platinum Games Project Nagano, Forza, Crackdown 3, Halo 2 Anniversary, specific Halo 5 beta details, possible Halo 3/Halo 4 port to Xbox One, all kinds of details on SKU 's that two different sites have verified etc.

Mistel

Banned
YoYeHq1.png

Spread very specific seeds and see what seed grows. Microsoft were incredibly clever on this front. This is all assuming they were trying to smoke him out in the first place.
Seems quite a drastic measure to bait another leaker in using another, but still two birds one stone. I wonder what sort of security systems they have on their computers?

That poster should be every leakers avatar lol.

As for an all digital console I don't think many places have the infrastructure to support it.

Omni

@Demoncarnotaur: Why should the people that are asked in the quoted twitter have information about that? They are no insiders at all

You're wrong. It was literally talked about on the last page.

He goes by Famousmortimer here on GAF. He is another guy who gets insider information all the time.

Whether or not he actually 'knows' this information is another question entirely. I'm still convinced that he saw that other guy leaking it on the forums and decided to jump on the train. But we'll see in time.

Ryan Payton also leaved Halo 4 as a Creative Director a year before Launch, so I dont thing the hiring of Tim Longo is a hint of H5 releasing in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom