• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I buy physical cause it's often cheaper and there's resell potential. But I'd buy Halo games digital.

I buy physical cause it's often cheaper and there's resell potential. But I'd buy Halo games digital.
I usually don't buy digital copies, especially Halo. Love me some Collectors Edition.

And what's with newest Microsoft campaign? Trade a PS3+ 100$ for a Xbox One? Really? I hate this company.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I usually don't buy digital copies, especially Halo. Love me some Collectors Edition.

And what's with newest Microsoft campaign? Trade a PS3+ 100$ for a Xbox One? Really? I hate this company.
Yeah, I've never cared about collector's editions. I just want the game. And that seems like a good deal to me.

Fuchsdh

I mean that's fine but why on earth would anyone want a physical copy when they don't have to? Discs can get scratched or lost and you have to get up from what you're doing to change them to play something else.

It just seems so backwards. UNLESS you were talking about liking the box art and having a box which seems...better? But why someone would want physical over digital seems so silly.

How dare you.

I like discs, since they're a hard backup copy. It's why I prefer to get CDs for music I really care about.

What's wrong with that?
Sounds desperate and trying to downplay it's competitor. If it they accepted Xbox 360 there would be no problem with that... but a PS3? The rival's console? What's the point of this?

Stay classy Microsoft, stay classy.

I'm with you and not trying to be a company shill, but that just makes good business sense.
It's good for them but lot's of people just find this disturbing and shows how desperate they are (they did the same thing with an Apple product, not sure).

wwm0nkey

I actually was not talking about Custom Edition, sorry. Does open sauce not work on Halo1 (I'll just call it that)?

If so, where is a good secure place I can get Custom Edition?
Just Google it and you will find it. Its a free add on for normal CE users. You can play campaign and everything and when you update it to 1.09 you don't need to use the disc anymore.

Mistel

Banned
Another bonus of physical is they are often sold below the MS RRP for the digital market in the UK. The highest difference has been £10 to £15 or so depending on the supermarket.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
After getting a taste of digital, I have to admit it's really convenient. But I'd be so pissed if I bought a full price game and ended up not liking it. Like, I bought Dishonored back when it came out, hated it, and took it back two days later. If digital games had a return policy or drastically reduced prices, I'd be totally on board. As it is now, I only do it when games are on sale or when I'm really confident I'll like them.

Sounds desperate and trying to downplay it's competitor. If it they accepted Xbox 360 there would be no problem with that... but a PS3? The rival's console? What's the point of this?

It's good for them but lot's of people just find this disturbing and shows how desperate they are (they did the same thing with an Apple product, not sure).

Bullshit, plenty of industries do this sort of behaviour. How about banks for example, transfer your credit card or home loan and get a special offer. I just love anti-MS bullshit, not. Mobile phone operators/carriers do the same thing. Domain name registrations or SSL certificates...same types of specific competitor offers.

I don't mean to be an asshat but crap like this in gaming/GAF seriously needs education about how the world really works. Capitalism FTW :)

Another bonus of physical is they are often sold below the MS RRP for the digital market in the UK. The highest difference has been £10 to £15 or so depending on the supermarket.

MS said they will have better sales this time. They already had powerstar golf and crimson dragon sales. I expect sales like Steam eventually.

Defect

I mean that's fine but why on earth would anyone want a physical copy when they don't have to? Discs can get scratched or lost and you have to get up from what you're doing to change them to play something else.

It just seems so backwards. UNLESS you were talking about liking the box art and having a box which seems...better? But why someone would want physical over digital seems so silly.

I feel like I actually own something if I have a physical disc. I also feel "safe" about being able to play it in the future. Xbox Live on 360 won't last forever so what will happen to all of my digital purchases? Will I be able to redownload them? I mean hey, if my purchases carried onto the Xbox One, that would be great, but sadly they don't.

Plus I like having a library of games.

Bullshit, plenty of industries do this sort of behaviour. How about banks for example, transfer your credit card or home loan and get a special offer. I just love anti-MS bullshit, not. Mobile phone operators/carriers do the same thing. Domain name registrations or SSL certificates...same types of specific competitor offers.

I don't mean to be an asshat but crap like this in gaming/GAF seriously needs education about how the world really works. Capitalism FTW :)
The thing is: MS doesn't need this. They have a good product, they don't need to use this type of promotions. Makes them look bad and that's not what you want. If plenty of industries do it doesn't make it a right thing to do.

I know how things work, I'm not part of the Anti-MS group and yes, I still find this very unnecessary.

Sorry if I don't like this kind of deals, but I'm not the only one. This reeks of desperation, something that MS really shouldn't do.

heckfu

Banned

I'm not sure you know how business works in general. Car companies are notorious for doing this on a daily basis because it makes sense to take from a competitor and put your product in someone's hand. Hell, even pharmacies do it by giving people a gift card to transfer prescriptions to their place. Etc etc I could keep going on but whatever.

I feel like I actually own something if I have a physical disc. I also feel "safe" about being able to play it in the future. Xbox Live on 360 won't last forever so what will happen to all of my digital purchases? Will I be able to redownload them? I mean hey, if my purchases carried onto the Xbox One, that would be great, but sadly they don't.

Plus I like having a library of games.

You do have a library of games on your games section. You realize disks rot eventually right? So they wont work either.

Homeboyd

The thing is: MS doesn't need this. They have a good product, they don't need to use this type of promotions. Makes them look bad and that's not what you want. If plenty of industries do it doesn't make it a right thing to do.

I know how things work, I'm not part of the Anti-MS group and yes, I still find this very unnecessary.

Sorry if I don't like this kind of deals, but I'm not the only one. This reeks of desperation, something that MS really shouldn't do.
I wasn't aware this deal existed til now. Bout to dust off that dusty ass old ps3 (if I can even find the damn thing) and throw it at the nearest best buy I can find (or wherever they'll take the damn thing). Gunna work them down on that hundo tho like Scott Tenorman did to cartman. Gunna make out like a bandit! Thanks MS!

Mistel

Banned
MS said they will have better sales this time. They already had powerstar golf and crimson dragon sales. I expect sales like Steam eventually.
They will have to be quite a large deduction to make it a choice between them and retailers, one issue is the complete lack of devaluation as games age in the digital market.

The thing is in the corporate product or service industries there is two choices; create a new market or steal market share.

Exclusive games like HX1 or consoles themselves are essentially a trivial way to create a new closed off market for your consumers to drive sales. When you look at the marketing tactic we're discussing it's not a moral or ethically questionable practice, so what is it about? It's about realising PS3 owners are likely about to purchase a PS4 & PS+ subscription. So for every one of those they provide an incentive to change over to XB1 & XBL Gold they've lessened the major competitor market share while increasing their own.

It's not crazy and it's really not poor or desperate marketing. It is, however, very savvy business, sales and marketing mechanics.

They will have to be quite a large deduction to make it a choice between them and retailers, one issue is the complete lack of devaluation as games age in the digital market.

MS (and other console digital games) really need to update their pricing models. By selling direct they're already pissing off retailers, globalisation...blah blah. Where I have issue is they don't have to create print graphics, pay for DVD/BR manufacturing, distribution, retailer rebates etc etc. So why are digital prices on par with physical prices? That's not even accounting for the retailer/distributor margins being accounted for. Digital sales make the platforms far more profit with far less overheads, they should be substantially cheaper. It's a farce with respect to pricing models.

Just considering the latter point about margins here. Back when I was involved in selling video games, computer games, distribution, manufacturing (both PC & gaming sides) the distributors generally made around 2-4% and go for straight out volume trade. The retailers usually worked on 4-15% depending on the volume the expect from a specific game selling in their store etc. As for the consoles themselves the retailers don't make squat, usually they'd be selling them and literally making $1-2 dollars profit in the view to aiding the player base growth and selling more games/software post that initial platform buy in. They make nothing on subscription apart from a tiny % when sold as redemptions in store (card/points etc).

So for say a Halo game selling at approx. AUS$90.00 why do we then pay AUS$90.00 for the digital version? In middle men margins and manufacturing/distribution costs alone you'd expect a reduction of approx. 3% (distro)+8%(retailer)+1%(manufacturing) which equates to 12% that is being absorbed by MS/Xbox when selling a digital copy over a physical one. Again I say it's a farce that needs to change.

The thing is in the corporate product or service industries there is two choices; create a new market or steal market share.

Exclusive games like HX1 or consoles themselves are essentially a trivial way to create a new closed off market for your consumers to drive sales. When you look at the marketing tactic we're discussing it's not a moral or ethically questionable practice, so what is it about? It's about realising PS3 owners are likely about to purchase a PS4 & PS+ subscription. So for every one of those they provide an incentive to change over to XB1 & XBL Gold they've lessened the major competitor market share while increasing their own.

It's not crazy and it's really not poor or desperate marketing. It is, however, very savvy business, sales and marketing mechanics.

MS (and other console digital games) really need to update their pricing models. By selling direct they're already pissing off retailers, globalisation...blah blah. Where I have issue is they don't have to create print graphics, pay for DVD/BR manufacturing, distribution, retailer rebates etc etc. So why are digital prices on par with physical prices? That's not even accounting for the retailer/distributor margins being accounted for. Digital sales make the platforms far more profit with far less overheads, they should be substantially cheaper. It's a farce with respect to pricing models.

Microsoft and 343 are clearly not worthy of the Mantle.

Of course it has that effect (I don't know how I totally ignored that)... you're totally right. Just ignore what I said. It makes total sense yeah.

But I wouldn't they accept 360's? I know they're still selling but that could turn eventual PS4 buyers from doing it while turning that loss into a sale. There might be people who want to trade their XBox 360 for a PS4/One and that would give them an incentive to stay with the Xbox brand.

Just considering the latter point about margins here. Back when I was involved in selling video games, computer games, distribution, manufacturing (both PC & gaming sides) the distributors generally made around 2-4% and go for straight out volume trade. The retailers usually worked on 4-15% depending on the volume the expect from a specific game selling in their store etc. As for the consoles themselves the retailers don't make squat, usually they'd be selling them and literally making $1-2 dollars profit in the view to aiding the player base growth and selling more games/software post that initial platform buy in. They make nothing on subscription apart from a tiny % when sold as redemptions in store (card/points etc).

So for say a Halo game selling at approx. AUS$90.00 why do we then pay AUS$90.00 for the digital version? In middle men margins and manufacturing/distribution costs alone you'd expect a reduction of approx. 3% (distro)+8%(retailer)+1%(manufacturing) which equates to 12% that is being absorbed by MS/Xbox when selling a digital copy over a physical one. Again I say it's a farce that needs to change.

Capitalism.

Of course it has that effect (I don't know how I totally ignored that)... you're totally right. Just ignore what I said. It makes total sense yeah.

But I wouldn't they accept 360's? I know they're still selling but that could turn eventual PS4 buyers from doing it while turning that loss into a sale. There might be people who want to trade their XBox 360 for a PS4/One and that would give them an incentive to stay with the Xbox brand.

2 reasons:

1. The consumer already made that PS3 vs. 360 purchasing decision long ago
  2. It's about halting PS4 & the now required PS+ in favour of X1 & XBL gold

EDIT: my bad, off base on this one.

Capitalism.

Yep double edged sword of irony strikes again.

2 reasons:

1. The consumer already made that PS3 vs. 360 purchasing decision long ago
  2. It's about halting PS4 & the now required PS+ in favour of X1 & XBL gold
Still, I think they should open that possibility for people that want to trade in their 360 for a PS4/Xbox One. Like you said, it would be an incentive: they wouldn't lose anything... in fact, they would get a new sale.

Some people buy a console because it's cheaper than the other. Making this discount would make those 360 owners stick with the brand they already know giving MS a potential sale.

Ok, forget it then.

This deal doesn't affect me. MS doesn't give a sh*t about my country... meh :/

Still, I think they should open that possibility for people that want to trade in their 360 for a PS4/Xbox One. Like you said, it would be an incentive: they wouldn't lose anything... in fact, they would get a new sale.

Some people buy a console because it's cheaper than the other. Making this discount would make those 360 owners stick with the brand they already know giving MS a potential sale.

Ok, forget it then.

This deal doesn't affect me. MS doesn't give a sh*t about my country... meh :/

I was wrong on this one, check storm's post mate.

Chettlar

Banned
Just Google it and you will find it. Its a free add on for normal CE users. You can play campaign and everything and when you update it to 1.09 you don't need to use the disc anymore.

Cool, does it need to be installed anywhere relative to the normal Combat Evolved? And if so, can I change where it gets installed?

Chettlar

Banned
Nope its a separate install, you just need the original CE disc and you choose where to install it

Crap. My disk is scratched to high heaven. :( I may have to wait to do this till I can get a new one then. Thanks for your help. I'll update you when I can get that rectified then.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hi, I just want to make sure everyone here knows that I'm good at Halo. Thank you.

Ghazi

I liked digital, I don't like that MS's largest hard drive is 320 GB, I only have 15GB left on mine :(

Meanwhile, I ordered a 1TB HDD for my PS3 (specifically because of PS+), and I have so much space I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom