• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Vinyl is for people who want giant covers and pretend that they love the hiss and pop of a inferior medium. I just want hard backups of my tunes.
I used to think the same thing, but then I dated someone who was into records. Vinyl has a warm, organic (earthy?) sound to it. The tactileness of it is really satisfying somehow, too. I dunno. I'd never choose them over just using my computer, but I see the appeal.

Edit : Tawpgun, get Mark of the Ninja.

Sai-kun

Banned
I used to think the same thing, but then I dated someone who was into records. Vinyl has a warm, organic (earthy?) sound to it. The tactileness of it is really satisfying somehow, too. I dunno. I'd never choose them over just using my computer, but I see the appeal.

Edit : Tawpgun, get Mark of the Ninja.

Mark of the Ninja owns.

so do vinyls

Caayn

I have never seen one of those ever just VHS.

Get with the times, old man :p.

I'd rather H2A runs nicely with a graphics upgrade than trying to go to 60fps.
Agreed, 30fps is fine for me. I'd take stable 30fps with a higher graphical fidelity over 60fps everytime.
That said the general conscious seems to demand 60fps in everything these days.

Vico

Yeah damn, hook up a pitfall code Frankie lol. But I'll probably just buy the Mass Effect 3 citadel dlc then, it was the only one I didn't have.

You're in for a treat!

I'm waiting for Omega to be cheaper myself. I know it sucks, according to everyone, but I just miss Mass Effect.

Madness

I'm still reasonably skeptical that it's even a thing.

Nah, the amount of sites and people talking about it, the fact no one from MS really commented on it, and Frank or David didn't even speak on it means it's true. Not that they'd tell us, but I'm pretty sure 343 held a meeting today, to discuss how their plans for the next two years leaked.

Besides, we don't know how that person knew, did he sit in on a meeting, intercept some spreadsheet or look at some promotional materials. The only thing I'm skeptical about is the two versions of H2 Anniversary, possibly with ports of Halo 3 and Halo 4. Though if they are just straight ports of H3/H4, I could buy it, if they only emulate it or make it work, and not an entirely reskinned campaign like Anniversary.

Other insiders have said that the TitanFall bundle image was real, and was just a temporary mockup, so maybe all of these plans were part of some hardware/software road map for the coming year or two. I really wish a new thread was created, or if he could chime in again.

Do you guys think 343 will be able to make H2A 60fps
60fps and dedicated server was the first thing announced for the 2014 Halo on Xbox One. Watched the part where Halo was on stage at e³ yesterday, man, they really focussed on words which do not imply Halo 5, a Halo Sequel or something like that... Oo

Caayn

You're in for a treat!

I'm waiting for Omega to be cheaper myself. I know it sucks, according to everyone, but I just miss Mass Effect.
The actual mission in Omega are pretty short and not worth the full price. The arena that comes with Omega is pretty fun.

replace Spartan Ops with a ME3 style co-op. with weapon packs and everything
The idea of weapon packs was nice, but it's really frustrating if the RNG will not give you the weapons you actually want to use.

Firefight should implement the base building of gears of war 3. placing turrets in right spots, buy a vehicle or even demand a drop of a few odsts would be really cool

Madness

replace Spartan Ops with ODST style Firefight/mixed with the versatility Reach brought

Fixed it for you.

I don't know I think that the game play worked because that's what Mass Effect 3 was, with those different weapons, characters, classes and map/cover system. How is that going to work in a first person shooter? Plus it was microtransactioned like crazy.

I'd rather they bring back Firefight, improve on it with things like upgradeable defenses, teammate AI/Bots, call in specific things, stuff that changes up gameplay beyond just defend against waves of enemies. Imagine a Firefight where you could call in Spartans to help you, upgrade turrets and certain walls/defenses etc.

Nice to know i'm not the only one who wants this.

plus all the DLC was free.

Fixed it for you.

I don't know I think that the game play worked because that's what Mass Effect 3 was, with those different weapons, characters, classes and map/cover system. How is that going to work in a first person shooter? Plus it was microtransactioned like crazy.

I'd rather they bring back Firefight, improve on it with things like upgradeable defenses, teammate AI/Bots, call in specific things, stuff that changes up gameplay beyond just defend against waves of enemies. Imagine a Firefight where you could call in Spartans to help you, upgrade turrets and certain walls/defenses etc.
You didn't fix anything. Firefight as a whole had NO objective. kill X enemies for 3 rounds. boring. even with all of the variables that Reach had added.

You didnt have to spend any money to effectively play the game.

Nebula

Firefight lost it's allure after a month though. It needs some sort of progression to make a viable option for people to consistently play. Also, yes, Mass Effect 3 had a ton of microtransactions but you could easily earn enough credits to buy those packs anyway. Hell if you're decent at the game and have a decent team you can just camp certain maps on Platinum difficulty and earn enough credits to by the best packs in one game.

The only reason Firefight held as many people as it did in Reach was because it was insanely easy and gave a high payout in terms of credits towards your multiplayer rank.

Firefight lost it's allure after a month though. It needs some sort of progression to make a viable option for people to consistently play. Also, yes, Mass Effect 3 had a ton of microtransactions but you could easily earn enough credits to buy those packs anyway. Hell if you're decent at the game and have a decent team you can just camp certain maps on Platinum difficulty and earn enough credits to by the best packs in one game.

The only reason Firefight held as many people as it did in Reach was because it was insanely easy and gave a high payout in terms of credits towards your multiplayer rank.

This. so much this.

Madness

But that's because these things can work in an RPG style cover based/squad/team shooter in third person. How is this ever going to work in Halo? You're going to create something completely separate from the campaign and multiplayer? I don't know, I found myself playing ODST Firefight and Reach Firefight for a long time as it was complimentary to the campaign and multiplayer.

Let's be honest, while the DLC was free, you had to grind and grind to gain enough credits for spectre packs and even then, you were never guaranteed to get an item from the new dlc released. So you either paid, or grinded for a while. I think maybe 1 in 6 premium spectre packs was I guaranteed one of the new weapons or characters from a recently released patch.

Something like Destiny may be able to pull off a similar game mode, with its different classes, such varied enemies, upgradeable weapons and abilities, but this would be very hard for Halo.

Nah, the amount of sites and people talking about it, the fact no one from MS really commented on it, and Frank or David didn't even speak on it means it's true. Not that they'd tell us, but I'm pretty sure 343 held a meeting today, to discuss how their plans for the next two years leaked.

Besides, we don't know how that person knew, did he sit in on a meeting, intercept some spreadsheet or look at some promotional materials. The only thing I'm skeptical about is the two versions of H2 Anniversary, possibly with ports of Halo 3 and Halo 4. Though if they are just straight ports of H3/H4, I could buy it, if they only emulate it or make it work, and not an entirely reskinned campaign like Anniversary.

Other insiders have said that the TitanFall bundle image was real, and was just a temporary mockup, so maybe all of these plans were part of some hardware/software road map for the coming year or two. I really wish a new thread was created, or if he could chime in again.

It just all sounds too good to be true. A TitanFall bundle makes sense enough, but a bundle of ports of some Halo games and a remake of Halo 2? If true, I would go from being not very interested in Xbox One, to Speedy levels of worship on launch day. I'd buy both in a heartbeat...

Why Halo 2, 3, and 4? What about Halo CEA? Bundling those 3 doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me. CEA, 2, and 3, sure. But 2, 3, 4? It just sounds farfetched.

Hopefully I'll eat my words, but as of right now, I'm not assuming anything other than TitanFall bundle. MAYBE Halo 2 anniversary
oh god I hope so
, but that's it.

Thinking about it, Halo 5 on a 2 year turnaround after Halo 4 seems pretty unlikely, too, so I dunno what to think right now...

Nebula

It would be like firefight it most comparisons anyway. It would have a system similar to what Mass effect has on top of it so it is given some level of progression as well as a ranking up type of progression. It wouldn't be easy to bring it the ability to modify weapons and stuff but that's just the challenges of bringing something new into the game.

While getting what you want can be a bit frustrating at times, I understand why it is the way it is. If you gave everyone everything they needed in the same amount of packs, no one would be buying anything other than equipment packs because they would have all characters and weapons in the first month. Getting the same character also unlocks more colour options for them which is fine by me.

The game is fun to play anyway so I don't consider it a grind. I can't comment on the opening months though as I didn't start playing it until a few weeks ago.

Mistel

Banned
Heck(fu) no. Give me 60FPS and 1080p.
I'm honestly not sure whether the could do that but if they can get it stable with a graphics overhaul at 60fps and 1080p then do it.

I hate the way weapon packs in ME3 worked, I'd get screwed with crap weapons whilst I had good ones I never got upgrades for them, I last plated about 7/8 months after launch. I've still got to get the campaign DLC for 3 and some for 2.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
replace Spartan Ops with a ME3 style co-op. with weapon packs and everything
I've been saying this since wayyyyy before Spartan Ops was even announced. I told everyone SpOps would be dumb and that 343 should focus on a more fleshed out Firefight, but did anybody listen? nooooooo

#HireKittens #ToBabysitYourKids #15AnHour

Madness

"On top of all that, according to one person familiar with the situation who spoke to me under condition of anonymity, Microsoft is currently trying to track down and identify ntkrnl. According to that person, Microsoft executives are looking to take legal action against ntkrnl, which, again, doesn't mean that everything he says is true."

As per Kotaku. I just think with the fact that no one from 343 even acknowledging/denying this, no one from MS even commenting or acknowledging it, that two different sites have confirmed he was right about the hardware plans it makes no sense he'd lie about Halo. Like he got so specific right, he must've known or seen something. How many people knew that Black Tusk's game would be called Shangheist? Not that it's necessarily true, but the guy was approved by Bish and Bish let the thread run its course before it became meta regarding CBoaT and stuff. Even then, most believed the leak, but thought it was a controlled leak, but MS is the company that makes a major announcement of an IP acquisition, no way they'd let two years worth of their biggest IP be leaked on some forum in a honey trap situation.

If they can verify his hardware claims, things no one really even thought of, that sites and insiders are saying MS is trying to find him now you have to accept he was telling the truth. Maybe we won't see this war collection or Halo 3 ports, but I'm going to believe now that Halo 2 anniversary is real, that there will definitely be a Halo 5 beta and that Halo 5 will be next year.

Mistel

Banned
I understand H2A and 5 being real along with the new console ntkrnl told us about. I can't understand why the ports aren't the first three instead of 2, 3 and 4.

Madness

I understand H2A and 5 being real along with the new console ntkrnl told us about. I can't understand why the ports aren't the first three instead of 2, 3 and 4.

Honestly, who knows how he got the info. Since it was primarily a first party software/hardware info leak, I'm assuming he has to be some staffer in the know regarding short term plans, possible E3 presentation etc. I mean he knew about the upcoming update, Crackdown 3, Forza Horizon, Halo, Black Tusk and what they were working on, upcoming hardware SKU 's etc.

Maybe he read something or was privy to some information where 343 had put it out there regarding possible Halo 2 bundles, I mean it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it could be something discussed internally, whether to give Halo 3 and Halo 4 as some straight ports. I sure hope he posts again, or that Frank or someone decides to spill the beans now.

belushy

Banned
I'm on Amazon right now thinking about buying Halo 4 GOTY, because I'm part of the problem.

I'm going through the normal user sales, and it is crazy how many people are trying to sell Halo 4 GOTY without any of the DLC. That is the whole point... 343, if you guys do a GOTY with Halo 5, just make a new MP disc like Bungie did with Halo 3 ODST.

edit: Fixed because horrible grammar.

Madness

So any chance there will be a Halo related commercial during the super bowl?

Highly unlikely, $4 million is what I think they're charging for just 30 seconds this year. For that much money, they can hold like 30 tournaments in all major cities with like a $1 million dollar price for the championship and it would benefit the fans or community more.

An Xbox One commercial might make sense for MS, if it highlighted like upcoming games or something, especially since the Seahawks and fans from Seattle will most definitely be watching, but for Halo itself, nah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom