• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys think that Steam has such good prices on games/great sales because Uncle Gaben loves you and all other businesses are the evil empire? It's because it makes them more money.

Digital games do not have a portion of the cost of physical games associated with them. They do not have manufacturing/storage/shipping costs and they do not have the risk of being made, but not sold through to consumers.

After the initial period after release, with top-heavy sales paying for the games development, a physical game still have costs and risk associated with attempting to sell more copies. Manufacturing/storage/shipping costs and the risk that you print copies of games that don't sell to consumers. Digital games do not have that issue, after they pay off development and marketing costs, they are essentially "free" to sell. The only significant cost at that point is Value/MS/Sony hosting the game on their service, which they will happily do because they get a cut of any sales on the service (for 3rd party games they are getting money for a game they didn't pay to make). So, once this happens, it is a simple game of demand vs price, and supply doesn't even play a part! So selling a game at 10 bucks is still money in the pocket of publisher and the service provider without any expense to sell that game.

Now, you can argue that unlike Steam, MS or Sony could never do as good of a job at this simply because it's not all-digital, and that's true to an extent, but it will still be at their advantage to price digital content competitively over time, especially as more people buy digital. Even in a console generation where physical sales no doubt dominated digital ones, MS has done a pretty good job towards the end of the 360 gen offering good sales and competitive digital prices as games age.

On top of that you have the actual usability advantages of digital. Screw discs, get with the interwebz age, it's 2014.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I vastly prefer physical media.

Until very fast internet service becomes available in like 95% of the US without bandwidth caps, don't expect to see physical media die anytime soon. Even on a competent connection, downloading something like Killzone takes some time.

I vastly prefer physical media.

Until very fast internet service becomes available in like 95% of the US without bandwidth caps, don't expect to see physical media die anytime soon. Even on a competent connection, downloading something like Killzone takes some time.

with installs now it barely matters if kz or any game takes time.

Yea but so does GOING to a store and buying a game... I mean I guess if its delivered thats easier but you still have to install it so theres some waiting. Discs are slow. Dont know why next gen doesnt have SSD's, its fucking embarrassing but whatever.

Physical copies you have that clutter that makes your house/apt depreciate in value cause it looks like a fifteen year old kid lives there. Also the shame boxes are a good deterrent to ever getting laid.

I dunno, I'd prefer all digital especially when you get to a certain point where digital is a larger portion of your sales you start seeing some awesome discounts because of the reduced overhead (warehouse, freight, labor, etc) and production costs.

Sure you might have to wait a bit for it to transfer, but how often do you actually download the game, for me its just once or twice. Go have an eskimo pie while you wait ya know?

I mean think about the difference we're arguing here. One you get a DISC that has 1's and 0's lasered into a plastic circular chip where you install it and transfer those 1's and 0's to a harddrive. One you just transfer the 1's and 0's through another medium and they end up on your harddrive.

belushy

Banned
I'm kind of hoping there are more leaks tonight. I doubt that the leaker shared everything there was to share. If people egg him on, he might drop some more bombs tonight.

Also I prefer all digital. I'm gonna wait for the 1tb Xbox One, though.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yea but so does GOING to a store and buying a game... I mean I guess if its delivered thats easier but you still have to install it so theres some waiting. Discs are slow. Dont know why next gen doesnt have SSD's, its fucking embarrassing but whatever.

Physical copies you have that clutter that makes your house/apt depreciate in value cause it looks like a fifteen year old kid lives there. Also the shame boxes are a good deterrent to ever getting laid.

I dunno, I'd prefer all digital especially when you get to a certain point where digital is a larger portion of your sales you start seeing some awesome discounts because of the reduced overhead (warehouse, freight, labor, etc) and production costs.

Sure you might have to wait a bit for it to transfer, but how often do you actually download the game, for me its just once or twice. Go have an eskimo pie while you wait ya know?

I mean think about the difference we're arguing here. One you get a DISC that has 1's and 0's lasered into a plastic circular chip where you install it and transfer those 1's and 0's to a harddrive. One you just transfer the 1's and 0's through another medium and they end up on your harddrive.
I want digital media too, but the environment for it isn't there yet. Outside of Steam/GMG, digital prices offer no incentive over physical. This is especially true on consoles, where downloads rarely drop in price. It's getting better but it's not quite there yet. Like 3 weeks after launch, I could go pick up a copy of Halo 4 for $40, while the XBL download still stood at $60.

Interesting bit here from an article around launch time by a modder who installed hybrid & SSD drives into X1 successfully.

Basically the cold boot time was only reduced 2 seconds (50 to 48 secs) and a level loading for a game was reduced 6 seconds (33 to 27 secs). For the cost vs. benefit it's really not worth it. I wonder how much the OS could be optimised to improve this though? Perhaps the X1 or games don't really support SSDs like a desktop, you know to minimise the OS or drivers etc?

Unfortunate, but console makers aren't trying to lose more money on hardware than they already do.

Sofa King

I rarely sell games, but I still like physical copies as we tend to have multiple accounts and consoles in our house.

Trying to figure out how much I would be willing to pay for H2A, H3, H4. Guess it depends on how much MP functionality the games have.

Well the Xbone OS/UI whatever is pretty terrible Ozzy. I mean hell I've found ways to make it hang for over a minute within a few days of owning it. However I'm sure they could optimize it and make it run pretty damn well on an SSD considering my laptop loads up Windows 7 in something crazy like 12 seconds.

Yea steely its a shame since SSD's will probably start to become really cheap sometime around this gen too. Pretty crap timing. I guess theres probably always some hardware about to make it big tho.

Fuchsdh

I can understand vinyl for hipster cred but CDs? Come on man, be serious now.

Vinyl is for people who want giant covers and pretend that they love the hiss and pop of a inferior medium. I just want hard backups of my tunes.

Well the Xbone OS/UI whatever is pretty terrible Ozzy. I mean hell I've found ways to make it hang for over a minute within a few days of owning it. However I'm sure they could optimize it and make it run pretty damn well on an SSD considering my laptop loads up Windows 7 in something crazy like 12 seconds.

Yea steely its a shame since SSD's will probably start to become really cheap sometime around this gen too. Pretty crap timing. I guess theres probably always some hardware about to make it big tho.

Aren't the Xbox One and PS4 both using SATA II controllers though? Won't be able to take full advantage of any hard or flash drive you put into it.

Ghazi

Maybe it's because vinyl was before my time, but what is wrong with his statement? Is there anything inherently positive in a vinyl copy over a CD, aside collectors reasons?

Ora

Banned
I've got the Sticky Fingers vinyl. Mothafucka has Mick Jagger's unzippable jeans. Literally, a zipper on the cover. Name a digital album that offers that! Shits hella fly son.

Dub117

Quality is much better
I have heard some amazing vinyl. On two klipsch la scalla speakers (look them up for real) i could feel it in my throat and the highs were amazing! Made me want to get a vinyl set up.

But from what I have heard, what is posted below is correct. I'm not an expert in that field so I really dont know.

Fuchsdh

Quality is much better

Digital has a greater dynamic range and stereo separation, the quality doesn't degrade over time and there's no hisses and pops in your music.

What's hilarious is I can pull out my dad's old hi-fi audio mags and a lot of people were escatic when CDs came out because they were so much better. It's the pure hipster "old is good" mentality that brought them back. The "warmth" is a failure of the medium; if you care about accurate sound you're not doing it right with an LP.

There's also the argument to be made that any LP reissue you've got these days are probably being created from digital masters anyhow, but that's another issue.

God, no way dude.

Alright, so listening to a vinyl is (for me at least) totally different than just listening to music on Spotify. When I listen to things on spotify, I've got shuffle and repeat on, and I just pick a playlist, and then keep doing whatever I'm doing.

When I'm listening to something on vinyl, it's a very deliberate choice of what to listen to, and since my record player isn't near my computer, I can focus on it easier. For me, it's about listening to my favorite albums as a whole, maybe noticing things I didn't before, and moving music from just background 'noise' to the forefront of my awareness. Not that you can't do that with Spotify, it's just a lot easier to do when you throw on a record.

Also fuck yeah huge covers dude. What's there to complain about there?

I'm not complaining about huge covers, and I get that there's this whole ritualistic thing people like with putting on records. That's great and all, but it's objectively a poorer format from every technical angle.

Sai-kun

Banned
Vinyl is for people who want giant covers and pretend that they love the hiss and pop of a inferior medium. I just want hard backups of my tunes.

God, no way dude.

Alright, so listening to a vinyl is (for me at least) totally different than just listening to music on Spotify. When I listen to things on spotify, I've got shuffle and repeat on, and I just pick a playlist, and then keep doing whatever I'm doing.

When I'm listening to something on vinyl, it's a very deliberate choice of what to listen to, and since my record player isn't near my computer, I can focus on it easier. For me, it's about listening to my favorite albums as a whole, maybe noticing things I didn't before, and moving music from just background 'noise' to the forefront of my awareness. Not that you can't do that with Spotify, it's just a lot easier to do when you throw on a record.

Also fuck yeah huge covers dude. What's there to complain about there?

Karl2177

What's hilarious is I can pull out my dad's old hi-fi audio mags and a lot of people were escatic when CDs came out because they were so much better. It's the pure hipster "old is good" mentality that brought them back. The "warmth" is a failure of the medium; if you care about accurate sound you're not doing it right with an LP.

Yeah... no. I don't want to pull out my research paper on digital and analog music, but this is wrong.

Sai-kun

Banned
"objectively poorer format from every techni--"

igoc7TKpItYKT.gif

see you guys for my next post in a couple weeks

Ghazi

EWmof.gif
Will take Sai's word on it.
p0QHO.gif

Now I need to buy a vinyl player, we had one but I broke it as a kid. Hope they aren't too expensive, we still have some old vinyls as well :D

HaloGAF. HaloGAF never changes.

I will contribute this: I've become more of a believer in single-purpose devices as a means to eliminate distraction and thereby heighten an experience. Record players certainly do this.

EDIT:
Something something Wahrmth synesthete something something.

I think that was the error I was getting. Make sure to have GFWL's most recent update. It didn't work though until I deleted and reinstalled the whole game.
Nice that worked, but the game feels like it's running slow for some reason (think underwater movement). Everything is maxed out and looks crisp, it's just that it feels sluggish.

Karl2177

Yeah... go ahead and pull them up.

I don't want to pull them up, because I have no idea what HDD they are on. The jist of the paper was on step approximation. So when you're recording an analog source, the most 1-to-1 output is an analog output. Digital recording is always a step approximation, even at high sampling frequencies.

belushy

Banned
Nice that worked, but the game feels like it's running slow for some reason (think underwater movement). Everything is maxed out and looks crisp, it's just that it feels sluggish.

Weird, I didn't have that problem. Do you mean animations are slow, or just the movement and aiming in general?

Here is wwm0nkey's post with the Dsfix stuff... see if that helps.

I just re installed the GFWL application after the game was installed and then it all worked smoothly again.

Also if you guys do re install it. do the following

Download DSfix
-put all files into the root Halo 2 folder
-Open dsfix.ini
-Force borderless windowed mode
-Force Windowed mode
-Unlock FPS to 60 or higher
*if using a non supported resolution just enter it in the resolution options.

Verdict on SA for 360 is not worth 15 bucks?

I got 20 bucks on my account, what should I get?
What'cha got?

Castle Crashers
Bastion
Super Meat Boy
Rez HD ** Personal Favourite **
Pac-Man CE DX
Walking Dead
Shadow Complex
Brothers
Trials Evo
N+
Limbo