• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't fucking matter. You can't change it because it wouldn't be Halo 2 if they did. It would be some other Halo game that looks like Halo 2 with it's sounds and guns... but it wouldn't BE Halo 2.

Sorry, I would rather have a good game close to the original than a perfectly authentic broken one that will be fun for a week before matchmaking turns into a total shitshow.

Chettlar

Banned
You could have said it numerous times, but most people aren't reading your posts.

The trailer only was to tease and to announce that Halo is coming to Xbox One 2014. If you had checked Bonnie Ross' wording at the announcement, you would have noticed she carefully only refers to Halo:

None of this say a new Halo game. None of this really refer to the next installment of the Reclaimer saga. Yes. Wording is still questionable.

That's....all I was trying to say. And I only mentioned I said it numerous times because it was frustrating, not that people don't read my posts, but that they ignore this, when it seems perfectly obvious that Halo 2 itself was not (at least solely) what the trailer was about). I am fully aware lots of people don't read my posts, since I obviously haven't even come close to earning that status. Fine with me. I still want to try to contribute to discussion.

I mainly don't understand how Avalon could be so bitter towards MS for delaying a game because 1) we don't even know if it was delayed, 2) Delays happen all the time and are not in any way conclusively indicative of a company's intentions, and 3) how is a delay a bad thing, again? Remind me, I must be ignorant on the matter. I was under the impression that more time (if not excessive, like Alien's CM or DukeNF) was a good thing.

Sorry, I would rather have a good game close to the original than a perfectly authentic broken one that will be fun for a week before matchmaking turns into a total shitshow.

I played Halo 2 matchmaking for 4 years. If it wasn't enough of a shitshow then to make me quit playing, then why would it be now? Halo 3 came out and the servers went down. Never once did I think, wow this game is so broken, why am I playing this. I mean yea the noob combo was awful, but who cares.

I guess 343i can release Halo 2ish Kinda The Same Game: Anniversary if they want, but I won't be playing it, and it certainly won't get me to buy an XB1. Halo 2 Perfectly Untouched Edition?... I might have to actually consider it.

belushy

Banned
I'd rather wait an additional year and let the game have more dev time than get rushed to market. I don't want 343 to screw up again so I'm willing to wait.

Pretty much this, and the silver lining is at least we are getting some sort of Halo game this year to tide us over that isn't Halo 4, and that there is going to be a Halo 5 Beta.

Of course, assuming the leak stuff is true after all.

Chettlar

Banned
I played Halo 2 matchmaking for 4 years. If it wasn't enough of a shitshow then to make me quit playing, then why would it be now? Halo 3 came out and the servers went down. Never once did I think, wow this game is so broken, why am I playing this. I mean yea the noob combo was awful, but who cares.

I guess 343i can release Halo 2ish Kinda The Same Game: Anniversary if they want, but I won't be playing it, and it certainly won't get me to buy an XB1. Halo 2 Perfectly Untouched Edition?... I might have to actually consider it.

Why not a compromise? Have playlists that are more Halo 3 style, and others that are super faithful to everything Halo 2 had?

Either that or keep Halo 2 exactly the same multiplayer wise and then have Halo 5 beta be the more refined, bug free version? Whadayathink?

Omni

Kinda says something when people are more excited for a 10 year old re release than upset that halo 5 might take another year

Well to be fair, there's not a lot to be excited about on the story front... unless you hate Halsey or whatever. And who knows where 343i is taking the gameplay in Halo 5...

so it's only logical that most people, at least on this forum, would be excited about the possibility of traditional Halo returning - even if it is a remake

Tawpgun

Get it for Steam and we can play it together. If you want to play with me. I can understand if not.

Maybe. My POS comp SHOULD be able to run it.

Who are you talking to? they show a trailer will all new things, continuing the story AFTER halo 4. What are you on about? Its ok to like a game or series but this blind 343 defense, oh they meant to do that is why the franchise is in the fuckin toilet. Name one other franchise that has to go back and make 10 yr old games to get their fanbase back. Name one thing they have done with Halo? Canon - ruined, DLC- poor handling, communication - piss poor. campaign - garbage soap opera with terminals you have to watch to even understand WTF is going on. Boltshot -wat?

multiplayer!!!!!

How about the first time they showed the game, u remember this?
halo4a.gif

Tell me again who has their head up their ass?

Holy shit get the stick out of your ass and calm down. This thread and the general HaloGAF community is known for not liking Halo 4 and being disappointed in a lot of what 343 has done pre and post launch. But you're not doing yourself any favors by being THAT salty dude. And that avatar, jesus christ. Do you go to sleep at night thinking about how bad Halo 4 is and dream about how bad 343 is and wake up to go post on an internet forum on how shit everything is?

Calm down, no one likes people like you.

Mistel

Banned
I mean yea the noob combo was awful, but who cares.
Probably those who where subjected to it, matchmaking is not fun when your spawn camped on a map with SMG spawns not giving you no chance to fight back. Or meet by noob combos for full matches

Pretty much this, and the silver lining is at least we are getting some sort of Halo game this year to tide us over that isn't Halo 4, and that there is going to be a Halo 5 Beta.
Any halo game that isn't 4 is probably worth waiting for especially if its classic halo.

Homeboyd

Super bouncing seems redundant in this day and age. Why don't they just include jetpacks in H2A for the same effect?
How dare you compare the two.

So hey, what's the deal with H4's challenges? So generic compared to Reach even. Kill 20 grunts. Kill 100 people in matchmaking. Play 5 episodes of SpOps. :/ uninspired at best..

Re-write!

Who are you talking to? they show a trailer will all new things, continuing the story AFTER halo 4. What are you on about? Its ok to like a game or series but this blind 343 defense, oh they meant to do that is why the franchise is in the fuckin toilet. Name one other franchise that has to go back and make 10 yr old games to get their fanbase back. Name one thing they have done with Halo? Canon - ruined, DLC- poor handling, communication - piss poor. campaign - garbage soap opera with terminals you have to watch to even understand WTF is going on. Boltshot -wat?

multiplayer!!!!!

How about the first time they showed the game, u remember this?
halo4a.gif

Tell me again who has their head up their ass?

22oswego.large2.jpg

Tawpgun

I'll say again...

Only two QTE's in Halo 4. Far from game-ruining.

It does sour the experience though. The main QTE's appeared at the very beginning and very end.

So as you're fighting through the Dawn, you get this weird climbing sequence QTE, mash whatever to open a locked door, and press whatever to kill an elite. This opening sequence makes new players think this is what the campaign is gonna be like. And then it just goes into a more linear but typical Halo campaign style... until the VERY end where you literally resolve the entire story line by pressing LT.

wat. The ending just soured everything. I know Halo isn't about Boss fights but come ON.

Omni

I'll say again...

Only two QTE's in Halo 4. Far from game-ruining.
Okay. I'll ignore the fact that after a 6 hour build up we killed the last and most powerful Forerunner alive by pressing "LT".

But then you have the excessively on rails sections such as the Mammoth mission (easily the worst I've ever encountered in a Halo game), broken level design, poorly designed AI, a dull and questionable art design, excessive and more often than not, worse redesigns of staple elements within the Halo universe, poor sound mixing, a god damn predator missile ripped straight from CoD and whatever else mixed in and you have an awful campaign.

First three levels were nice though. Really not sure what happened in the second half of the game

Either that or keep Halo 2 exactly the same multiplayer wise and then have Halo 5 beta be the more refined, bug free version? Whadayathink?

Wait so release Halo 2 Anniversary exactly as-is... then make Halo 5 exactly like Halo 2 but without the broken stuff? WEHAVEAWINNER. #Chettlar4pres #Chettlar2014

jelly

Okay. I'll ignore the fact that after a 6 hour build up we killed the last and most powerful Forerunner alive by pressing "LT".

But then you have the excessively on rails sections such as the Mammoth mission (easily the worst I've ever encountered in a Halo game), broken level design, poorly designed AI, a dull and questionable art design, excessive and more often than not, worse redesigns of staple elements within the Halo universe, poor sound mixing, a god damn predator missile ripped straight from CoD and whatever else mixed in and you have an awful campaign.

The mammoth level needed a 'shallow water kills' sign.

Remember that Ghost escape run. That had to be a Kinect level initially.

That's probably because there weren't really alternative console shooters eight years ago and we didn't know any better? There's also an established phenomenon wherein people remember good times better than miserable times, hmm sounds vaguely familiar. It was pretty obvious how broken the game was at the time, but people tend forget those parts for the epic fun matches that were actually much rarer than we like to remember.

Halo 2 had plenty of awful features that would almost instantly drive the population to shooters which have had the benefit of another decade of design experience. I basically want a modestly improved version of Halo 2 (which changed over its original run anyway), and I'm not sure why I would pay money for a game I know is deeply flawed and have already played. Oh, shiny graphics. yaaay

TheXbox

That's probably because there weren't really alternative console shooters eight years ago and we didn't know any better? There's also an established phenomenon wherein people remember good times better than miserable times, hmm sounds vaguely familiar. It was pretty obvious how broken the game was at the time, but people tend forget those parts for the epic fun matches that were actually much rarer than we like to remember.

Halo 2 had plenty of awful features that would almost instantly drive the population to shooters which have had the benefit of another decade of design experience. I basically want a modestly improved version of Halo 2 (which changed over its original run anyway), and I'm not sure why I would pay money for a game I know is deeply flawed and have already played. Oh, shiny graphics. yaaay
Halo 2 is definitely busted (it's why I prefer Halo 3 for MP), but a remake should be just that... a remake. Anything 343 does to tamper with it will result in unholy backlash from all corners of the community and will only serve to dig the hole Halo 4 exploded even deeper. Let Halo 2 be Halo 2 with improved netcode and shiny graphics, make Halo 5 for people that still care about new Halo games.

Korosenai

The Super Bowl playlist in H4 has bad kids galore. Anyone looking to have some mindless fun while raking up a lot of kills should check it out.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Avalon takes the crown for worst HaloGAF member. Sorry Elzar.

GUYS

Does Halo 2 Anniversary mean we get fuzzy Brutes back?
This should absolutely be what 343 aims to achieve in their art design for the Brutes. So fucking bad ass.

Halo 2 is definitely busted (it's why I prefer Halo 3 for MP), but a remake should be just that... a remake. Anything 343 does to tamper with it will result in unholy backlash from all corners of the community and will only serve to dig the hole Halo 4 exploded even deeper. Let Halo 2 be Halo 2 with improved netcode and shiny graphics, make Halo 5 for people that still care about new Halo games.

But the authenticity of host BR will be lost! It won't be Halo 2 anymore!

I don't want it updated much, but I think there's a short list of things that 98% of people can agree should be fixed.

Fuchsdh

Agreed.

I just hope they don't aim for this:

Don't get me wrong, it is great art! But it looks more like the Didact if anything.

What's odd is that the Brute Chieftan is the only guy who looks like he's missing his nose (in the comic he's drawn like it was chopped off at the bridge, not completely absent in Scott's cover.)

All the other Brutes appear to be standard H3 style.

Chettlar

Banned
^ I agree. It's fantastic art! Like really, I like it! But part of what made Brutes so cool is they were like these hairy ape beasts that had these great big weapons that make you go "Oh shit" when you see them (think, Gravity Hammar, Brute shot [don't tell me you weren't running along playing some Legendary and turn around to see a dozen grenades headed strait at you]).

Sure that's a beast alright but...ehh. Not a brute. I'd rather that be some new creature, since it does still look kind of halo-y to me. Maybe a race of brutes from another planet (though come to think of it, that may be just what they are).

Wait so release Halo 2 Anniversary exactly as-is... then make Halo 5 exactly like Halo 2 but without the broken stuff? WEHAVEAWINNER. #Chettlar4pres #Chettlar2014

Kind of lame, but I've been called "The Great Compromiser" before. To me it's just, do what's logical. This makes sense, so do it, ya know?

It's the same deal with having multiple playlists. While it is wise to not split player bases for a number of reasons (most of which are kind of obvious), I think having something like a "Combat Evolved Playlist" in Halo 5's multiplayer, for example, would be a wise thing to do.

Speaking of which, I'm really itching for some CE multiplayer right now.

Dopus

Banned
You could have said it numerous times, but most people aren't reading your posts.

The trailer only was to tease and to announce that Halo is coming to Xbox One 2014. If you had checked Bonnie Ross' wording at the announcement, you would have noticed she carefully only refers to Halo:

None of this say a new Halo game. None of this really refer to the next installment of the Reclaimer saga. Yes. Wording is still questionable.

It's possible that they always had in mind releasing Halo 5 in 2015, and our first Halo experience on the XB1 being H2A in 2014.

But as for the actual trailer it's pretty obvious that it's Halo 5. The original Axis Animation Vimeo upload did say Halo 5 at the end after all.

Chettlar

Banned
It's possible that they always had in mind releasing Halo 5 in 2015, and our first Halo experience on the XB1 being H2A in 2014.

But as for the actual trailer it's pretty obvious that it's Halo 5. The original Axis Animation Vimeo upload did say Halo 5 at the end after all.

Question, does anybody think anybody is honestly suggesting that the Halo trailer was not about the next mainline Halo game?

Mistel

Banned
I don't want it updated much, but I think there's a short list of things that 98% of people can agree should be fixed.
Things would have be improved as I doubt nostalgia will be enough driving force to keep up the H2A multiplayer segment for long before faults become apparent. Fixing broken things does little harm really :/

went 36 kills, 33 assists one game.

it was glorious.
Is it that bad donging on randoms is ridiculously easy?

Chettlar

Banned
All the other Brutes appear to be standard H3 style.

Well their armor does. Are there any pictures of their actual faces? As far as I can remember the chieftain is the only one whose face we can see. What if his dudes also look similar in face structure, or at least different than H3's? Correct me if there is a picture of them, of course.

Halo 2 anni has to be 60fps. Frank has been posting about how essential he deems it to be now he's used to it. All assuming H2 is happening.

Karl2177

So is the consensus don't waste my $15? I read juices and havok's posts about spartan assault and they made it seem like a very average game with the poor idea of microtransactions.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
^ I agree. It's fantastic art! Like really, I like it! But part of what made Brutes so cool is they were like these hairy ape beasts that had these great big weapons that make you go "Oh shit" when you see them (think, Gravity Hammar, Brute shot [don't tell me you weren't running along playing some Legendary and turn around to see a dozen grenades headed strait at you]).
I think Halo 3 laid out a great groundwork for the Brutes. They're intelligent, but if pushed far enough will crack and go wild, brutal, out of control. The idea of them working in packs was fantastic, too, but needs to be reworked to feel more authentic. I want to feel like they're actually working as a team. Maybe give them some of that flanking AI from Halo 4's Crawlers.

I want their visual design to match their ferocity. I want them to look wild and brutal. I want to feel like they might devour me after shooting me dead. Halo Reach totally dropped the ball on their design -- they looked like bulky, hunched over, grey skinned humans. Not nearly alien enough, and not really interesting in itself.

Woorloog

Banned
I want their visual design to match their ferocity. I want them to look wild and brutal. I want to feel like they might devour me after shooting me dead. Halo Reach totally dropped the ball on their design -- they looked like bulky, hunched over, grey skinned humans. Not nearly alien enough, and not really interesting in itself.

Reach Brutes look like LOTR Cave Trolls with lame golden (it is not even shiny like Brute Captain's in Halo 3!) armor.

Mistel

Banned
I think Halo 3 laid out a great groundwork for the Brutes. They're intelligent, but if pushed far enough will crack and go wild, brutal, out of control. The idea of them working in packs was fantastic, too, but needs to be reworked to feel more authentic. I want to feel like they're actually working as a team. Maybe give them some of that flanking AI from Halo 4's Crawlers.
That would be nice if it was improve the flanking by operating each unit with a scout brute(s) of a lower rank assuming it follows the rules of strength equals dominance, making the brutes into savage berserkers as they become enraged that drive you out of cover would also be good.

Some new brute weapons would be nice as well.

CyReN

Been playing Halo 2 PC, pretty fun. Do have some shading issues though, not sure how to fix or if it's even possible. Looks kinda weird during cutscenes and menu but nothing too crazy.

Dub117

So is the consensus don't waste my $15? I read juices and havok's posts about spartan assault and they made it seem like a very average game with the poor idea of microtransactions.
That's what i gather, but the completionist in me will buy it eventually or the next time i'm bored i'm sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom