• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay Gaf, Halo 2 Brutes or Halo 4 Knights?

Even though their AI devolved into rush the player most of the time, I'd have to say the H2 Brutes were the funner enemy to fight. H4 Knights were just too damn bullet-spongy.

Although the derez death animation for the Knights were pretty badass.

Mistel

Banned
Okay Gaf, Halo 2 Brutes or Halo 4 Knights?
Brutes any day of the week, I dislike the cheapness of the knights teleporting about with OHK weapons and their spongy nature.

Did anyone ever experience that spiker dual wielding glitch were it would like super combine?

Brutes any day of the week, I dislike the cheapness of the knights teleporting about with OHK weapons and their spongy nature.

Well shit, I was about to say that. I'd add that Knights were also annoying since it was hard to tell the different ranks apart and therefore know what exactly you were in for, at least the first time around.

Halo 2 should definitely be left untouched
With the title update that they applied like 6 months in or whatever. The game was far from perfect. But it was awesome. Everyone played halo 2.

My entire friends list was halo 2 players. In a lot of ways halo 2 was xbox live. Top game for years or whatever.

Sure with private chat and other shooters being.king now it won't be the same, but god damn halo 2 was fun. The maps, the playlists, everything just worked well together.

I played halo 2 regularly on my 360 until the servers went down. Give me the original mp and you can put whatever loadout sprint killstreak garbage you want in halo 5. I'll be good.

That way the people clamouring for classic halo and the people who actually like halo 4 (tashi) will be appeased

That's probably because there weren't really alternative console shooters eight years ago and we didn't know any better? There's also an established phenomenon wherein people remember good times better than miserable times, hmm sounds vaguely familiar. It was pretty obvious how broken the game was at the time, but people tend forget those parts for the epic fun matches that were actually much rarer than we like to remember.

Halo 2 had plenty of awful features that would almost instantly drive the population to shooters which have had the benefit of another decade of design experience. I basically want a modestly improved version of Halo 2 (which changed over its original run anyway), and I'm not sure why I would pay money for a game I know is deeply flawed and have already played. Oh, shiny graphics. yaaay

I know you think I have nostalgia goggles, but I don't. So just stop.

TheOddOne

The past three or four pages were quite the journey to get through.
This is from a musicvideo, made in 2014.

Shakira03.gif

Best page.

Mistel

Banned
Knights. Brutes are just as spongey if you don't go for headshots and at least the Knights provide a few interesting encounters.
Most encounters boiled down to watchers being taken out first then dealing with the other enemies, it wasn't a bad concept just poorly executed.

Well shit, I was about to say that. I'd add that Knights were also annoying since it was hard to tell the different ranks apart and therefore know what exactly you were in for, at least the first time around.
I only know their little crest thing changes but visual identification was awful. I'd have made them have different colors or more visually different.

I know you think I have nostalgia goggles, but I don't. So just stop.
He makes a perfectly valid point though.

defghik

But the authenticity of host BR will be lost! It won't be Halo 2 anymore!

I don't want it updated much, but I think there's a short list of things that 98% of people can agree should be fixed.
I'd like the gameplay in H2A to be as close to the original as possible (an option to turn X button glitches and superbounces on/off would be nice), but I'd love improved netcode - H2's netcode was complete garbage, I'm still flabbergasted a decade later at how Bungie failed to implement latency compensation on long distance shots.

ElRenoRaven

Did anyone ever experience that spiker dual wielding glitch were it would like super combine?

Yup. I'll take Brutes any day of the week. The knights had a lot of potential. Design wise I actually kind of liked them. Probably the Space Pirate resemblence but still I liked the design. I hated the predictable teleport back and forth and the insane health they had. They just weren't fun to fight. More so when you had the pixel check...errr...watcher and the wanna be flood like AI of the crawlers.

ElRenoRaven

Dat water tiling.
EDIT can't recall that happening in the Xbox version... must be the low resolution/draw distance hiding it or something?

EDIT the water does look good though.

Yup even on xbox it looked good. It does look better on PC though without a doubt. I love playing Halo 2 on the PC and just looking at the environments. That's the huge thing I'll give Halo 2 over any other Halo. The environments were amazing looking. Even the Halo 2 take on the library was interesting.

Woorloog

Banned
Hmph. I guess i should re-install Halo 2 Vista and replay it, it has been some time after all... And with wired controller, i can play it properly, not with KB/M. I swear those are incredibly janky in Halo 2 PC version.
If only the goddamn GFWL didn't cause issues...

belushy

Banned
Hmph. I guess i should re-install Halo 2 Vista and replay it, it has been some time after all... And with wired controller, i can play it properly, not with KB/M. I swear those are incredibly janky in Halo 2 PC version.
If only the goddamn GFWL didn't cause issues...

You should. :)

Also, this should help with the jankiness.

I just re installed the GFWL application after the game was installed and then it all worked smoothly again.

Also if you guys do re install it. do the following

Download DSfix
-put all files into the root Halo 2 folder
-Open dsfix.ini
-Force borderless windowed mode
-Force Windowed mode
-Unlock FPS to 60 or higher
*if using a non supported resolution just enter it in the resolution options.

Woorloog

Banned
You should. :)

Also, this should help with the jankiness.

Hmm. I don't recall the jankiness being about frame rate (though it was rather unstable) but the controls just not being... smooth.
Anyway, wired controller makes playing it much better, with or without the DSfix.

But first i have Thief Gold and Thief 2 to play through, and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.
Should also finish ME3/Dragon Age II replays on 360, and finish my XCOM Enemy Within campaign.
Oh, and Uplink: Hacker Elite. And a bunch of others.
Hmph. Probably easier just to play Halo 2 first and then think about others.

Striker

So you consciously want to relive even the terrible parts of Halo 2. Uh, okay. I would rather relive just the regular-to-good moments, but that's just me I guess.
The game's biggest issue was netcode/network the system had in 2004.

Now if you're going to ask me, do I want to play something I've played thousands of times and have said time and time again it's been the best Halo MP experience I've played, or a complete question mark that honestly I have extremely little hope for, then the answer you're looking for is pretty easy.

He makes a perfectly valid point though.
You can point to any online Halo game and easily pick out a multitude of problems. Halo 2 had them as well, I don't think any fan will argue that. That said, it had the best pack of maps and gametypes the series has seen so far. The games after it weren't even in the same ballpark.

I would actually go with knights over brutes. Brutes are the worst thing in the entire Halo universe imo. And i thought halo 2's campaign was pretty bad at the time. The only campaign that beats it for more blah is reach. I know I'm in the extreme minority of opinions though.

Combat evolved spoiled me with the most entertaining weapon of all time and a nice phat field of view. And the game engine in halo 2 compared to combat evolved was too pastel. I thought I had ventured into the land of gumby.
gumby-pokey.gif

halo 2 brutes

Even though their AI devolved into rush the player most of the time, I'd have to say the H2 Brutes were the funner enemy to fight. H4 Knights were just too damn bullet-spongy.

Although the derez death animation for the Knights were pretty badass.

Knights. Brutes are just as spongey if you don't go for headshots and at least the Knights provide a few interesting encounters.
Yup agreed. I have a bit more fun toying around with brutes in Halo 2. Knights are chore cuz of watchers but Brutes in legendary is a Spamming Fiesta with Brute Plasma Rifles and Carbines. Still fun though.

Madness

So you consciously want to relive even the terrible parts of Halo 2. Uh, okay. I would rather relive just the regular-to-good moments, but that's just me I guess.

Whoa whoa are we talking fixing glitches and bugs here or entire reimagining of campaign areas? Sorry I've missed out on the conversation in a sense.

belushy

Banned
Woah, that NAV thing during real forge would be amazing. If forge items show up, you could create neat top down views of it.

Woorloog

Banned
@Woorloog Oh I want that :( The model seemed unfinished but it still looked neat.

Saw this too.

3rd Person Halo 3 I actually wish 343 would add this in as an option, at least for Action Sack or something. MW2 3rd person was surprisingly good, even though it sounded horrible at first.

I loved playing Halo PC with 3rd person view with a camera trainer.
Never got to play Halo 2 with such because i couldn't get it work (and last year someone here noted it needed windowed mode, so perhaps the next time i'll play Halo 2 PC).

Optional 3rd person mode, and a skull for that for campaign would be wonderful.

Computer

L0eFDIc.jpg

I am finally going to lag switch my way to that Halo 2 50.

I hopped on Halo for the first time in two weeks today, saw it, figured i'd play it. The first game I played I went 43-8 with a Killtrocity.

Same with me. Went 26 and 0. Got a untouchable on Team Slayer Heaven. Halo 4 is in a bad state right now. Nothing but new people that have never played any other Halo. You cant beg people to vote for Legendary Slayer BR's even if the game type in on a better map. When new people are introduced to Halo with Halo 4 it really ruins what they think Halo is. Halo 4 is not Halo. I feel that if 343 did go back to Halo's roots there will be a lot of confused people wondering why they cut sprint AA's ect..

It's crazy the lengths people went to to cheat for those little numbers

Sticking a pin into your Xbox to lift the disc off the laser so the game couldn't load the original maps and would guarantee a dlc map came up in matchmaking just so the mods would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom