• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

FYC

Banned
Actually I was just going to ask you on twitter about that footage, haha. I'm still ready to work on the montage, just waiting for enough clips.

Multi, Campaign, Firefight, whatever. Anything goes!

CyReN

still working on this, some of you will enjoy this:

a8SJz7v.jpg

Production & Event:

Behind the Scenes Making of Halo 2
Halo 2 - Beyond Single Player, Multiplayer and Live
First Look at Halo 2
Halo 2 E3 Teaser Trailer
Halo 2 E3 Real Time Demo
Halo 2 E3 Multiplayer Demo
G4 Icons - Bungie
Halo 2 - Making of Halo "Bungie Factor"
Making of Halo 2 Map Packs
Halo 2 Trailer "Already Here"
Halo 2 Theatrical Trailer
Halo 2 Vista Trailer
Halo 2 "Another Day At The Beach"
The Ultimate Gamer - Part 1 | Part 2
Halo 2 Beta at MLG Seattle
First MLG Halo 2 Tourrnament
Sex Drugs and Halo Pros - Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

Fan Made:

Halo 2 Trash Talk
Croyt's Anger Part 1 | Part 2
Ghost of Lockout
The Yellow Warthog Unlocked
Hidden Flood Juggernaut
In Remembrance of Halo 2

Mistel

Banned
Balance one-hand weapons as if they were two-handed weapons. Sure, they will be ridiculously powerful in campaign but so what? If necessary, add recoil or more spread when dual wielded, or use damage modifier like Halo 3 did (DWd weapons did 75% of their normal damage).

EDIT and a toggle for multiplayer, with default off, ie DW exists in practice only for customs, and perhaps for VIP/Juggernaut in their modes or something like that.
Sure for campaign balance is less of an issue, for multiplayer if your only going to have it for select modes or customs its hardly worth adding it doesn't do anything for base game play really. It has little depth or improvements to offer gameplay wise, especially if you don't spawn with DW weapons.

Some suggestions for Halo 2A:

Make a Team BRs playlist, please. SMG starts were so bad. BR/SMG starts are fine too
Include all Xbox and PC exclusive maps (Desolation, Tombstone, Uplift, District)

wwm0nkey

Make a Team BRs playlist, please. SMG starts were so bad. BR/SMG starts are fine too
Include all Xbox and PC exclusive maps (Desolation, Tombstone, Uplift, District)
Oh shit I just realized Halo 2 Anniversary probably will launch with all the maps (except H2V ones because they are trash)

Guys, ALL THOSE QUALITY MAPS AT LAUNCH!

Striker

Just make gametypes "Team Slayer BR's", "Neutral Bomb BR's", "Multi-Flag BR's", instead of a random playlist. But really that's just asking for proper playlist management.

Of course you must remember KotH on Ragnarok, Oddball Complex, or the awful changes they made to Reach's like putting in a dozen Slayer playlists or like nine CTF variants in Team Objective.

Ghazi

First match of Halo 4 I get into, me and this guy get a combined 47 kills and lose, because we had two afk teammates who got 27 deaths and zero kills, fuck this game.

wwm0nkey

First match of Halo 4 I get into, me and this guy get a combined 47 kills and lose, because we had two afk teammates who got 27 deaths and zero kills, fuck this game.
One day developers will gain common sense and put a "after a player is inactive for X seconds boot player"

Mistel

Banned
That's the worst thing for people idling, its the ultimate form of carrying someone especially in 4 were it they can be used to rack up ordinance with no risk. Their dead weight that offers a huge advantage for the opposition. A auto boot function for idlers is needed.

Defect

I just remembered that Halo 4 had JiP. Get rid of that shit in Halo 5 or have an OPTION to never join a match that has already started.

Or just get rid of that shit.

Just make gametypes "Team Slayer BR's", "Neutral Bomb BR's", "Multi-Flag BR's", instead of a random playlist. But really that's just asking for proper playlist management.

Of course you must remember KotH on Ragnarok, Oddball Complex, or the awful changes they made to Reach's like putting in a dozen Slayer playlists or like nine CTF variants in Team Objective.

why not just keep the original playlists?

Nebula

JIP kinda sucks. I think it should only be in BTB, and even then it should only be optional. I will give it some props though. Even with the current low population I find games pretty quick, even if that game is part done.

Also Complex is awesome
for Goosing.

I hope the mongoose makes it to Halo 5 with only one change. Let the passenger aim without the orientation of the Mongoose moving the passengers aim for them. PLEASE!

Striker

why not just keep the original playlists?
Yeah I would prefer it too with a bit more tooling. Larger maps getting BR's and smaller ones being default; also, putting in those other variants like Slayer BR's and Team Rifles in Team Slayer works fine. If they kept the game as it was in summer 2005 I can be assured it would still be in better hands than what it would be when they make Oddball on Zanzibar or something awful they've done since taking over Halo's playlists. I honestly don't think they know what makes objective games fun.

3v4 (being down players in general) wouldn't be such an issue in every game after CE if teamshooting wasn't a necessity for a team to be effective.

It's funny, when I was down 3v4 or 2v4 in CE, we would play slightly more aggressive (had to be aware of surroundings) because of the faster kill times. If we died, it would only be one point for the other team; you could manage several kills a death if you were good enough (alone). In Halo 2 and Halo 3, if you were down a guy you had to play really cautious because the kill times were longer coupled with more options to escape/prolong a single fight (H3's equipment). Battles became stale on multiple levels (ie: get shot first and you run away, whereas in CE if you get shot first you had to turn and fight, and if you wanted to run away you had to do so fighting).

Completely different meta game. The aim assist of later games practically nullified the strafe, which contributed to people just running from fights if they were down a shot or two since their chances of winning was slim.

TheXbox

I just remembered that Halo 4 had JiP. Get rid of that shit in Halo 5 or have an OPTION to never join a match that has already started.

Or just get rid of that shit.
You just awakened some terrible memories. JIP is beyond a shadow of a doubt the most frustrating aspect of Halo 4 matchmaking. A couple months in when the population went down the shitter every time I tried to play MM it used JIP to put me on a losing team. Every fucking time. Eventually I just started quitting every JIP game, then I got quit banned, then I stopped playing Halo 4. In a game plagued with shit balancing, awful ranks, atrocious maps, wallhacks, DMR sniping, glitches, instant respawns, and killstreaks, JIP might actually be the worst thing about Halo 4.

Mistel

Banned
I honestly don't think they know what makes objective games fun.
This is very true in 4 where objective is awful due to asinine changes along with poor map pairing/ design. Complex is one example of this where it has several flaws in the map that the base game play in 4 easily exploits with the DMR and boltshot.

JIP seemed to have a habit of putting me back in the same game :/.

Reach is a good game. We yelled and shit and it wasn't perfect but at least we still played the thing. Everyone just gave up on Halo 4 it was so bad.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Remove bloom, remove AAs, and bump up the movement speed and Reach is my favorite Halo. But the maps are still mediocre.

nillapuddin

The reason I ask about yours is it seems really fine tuned to just this screen. What about other lobbies and pregame areas?

Well to be fair we were really just talking about having a pregame/matchmaking lobby that people wanted, it was never a "make the entire system" type deal. I wouldnt say that specific screen was hyper specialized or anything, but I appreciate the challenge.

So this is what I was using as my template, heres an updated album, featuring the blueprints and revised mocks
The left column is the main content window and is for the big picture information

the middle column is a dynamic content area that in its resting state is the active roster, but upon any listed input (map selection, playlist selection, gametypes, etc) it becomes a listed view for those options

the right column is a dynamic column also, tied directly into the middle one, showing a preview image and expanded details on whatever is being highlighted. In its resting state it is either invisible or possibly used as a news/update column for the game when in the main menu

Ex:
Left: Select "Map" -> Middle: "Map List" -> Right: Map description, file details, etc
Left: Select "None" -> Middle: "Active Roster" -> Right: Player Card
Left: Select "Playlist" -> Middle: "List of Playlists" -> Right: Player Count, Gametype details, etc

it was fun GAF, Ill keep em so we can inevitably bitch how we'd fix the Halo 2 Anniversary UI

TheOddOne

Reach did tons wrong, but it did enough things right that kept me playing for two years straight.

This is some scrub playing pingpong against Arnold:

ib2fVF7FilqKqt.gif

Because why not.

Mistel

Banned
Oh man. Just yesterday I was thrown into the same game 3 times before I gave up playing. Was really laggy and everyone was red bar every time I joined it.
The worst I had was being put into a game where it was incredibly lopsided, quitting getting put back in again with the other team had long range weapons from ordnance and randoms were running out and getting slaughtered. The I quit again and waited for a couple of minutes and ended up with the same group at the beginning of a new match. I would rather wait for a new game then join one mid game.

Spartan3PC

Last time I played Halo 4 I was put in a game that started 4 v 1. My fault for playing solo but still, that should never be allowed to happen.

Either add an option to disable JIP or drop it entirely.

This is from a musicvideo, made in 2014.

Shakira03.gif

Best page.

She have an amazing and beatiful body but man why she always try to move her hips like a robot.

Okay Gaf, Halo 2 Brutes or Halo 4 Knights?

Brute by far, you need to change your tactics and go for spikers or be prepared to be melee to death when they go berserker.

Assasinating a brute in a Reach was unexpected and somewhat rewarding.

Call me crazy but I thought dual wielding worked pretty well in halo2. On non BR starts being able to quickly grab a pistol or plasma rifle to pair with the laughable smg was a quick way to not feel powerless in a game. I remember hating/disliking dual-wielding back in the day primarily because I wanted the CE pistol instead of every weapon in Halo2. But as far as balance was concerned a capable player could at least fend off a BR holder at close range and also rack up some kills. While every halo has its share of garbage or throwaway weapons, overall, most weapons in halo2 worked well or could keep you alive until you could find something better.

Mistel

Banned
Honestly this sums up most of halo 4 (maybe spartan assault not that i'm going to buy it for £11.99 so I can't really judge it.):
JurPrk_crap2b.gif

Hey Moonman could I call you a moron instead? :p

Getting JIP'd into Ragnorok where one of your teammates quits as you join, while the other team has two mantis's, snipers and dmrs surrounding the base was like every game of Halo 4 CTF ever if you didn't go in as a five.

Or getting JIP'd into a BTB game and having to wait in pre-spawn purgatory for 30 seconds while watching the slaughter of your soon to be teammates. Can't wait to spawn and die by the Gauss/Banshee/Binary Rifle!

Or trying to get a game of doubles (which was actually pretty good in Halo 4) going and having the opponents press b to back out in the lobby if you had a higher kd than them/were from a different country/the vote was impossible for them to win/you weren't scrubby enough. And having that repeat four times in a row before a game happened.

Yeah don't miss Halo 4. Sticking to Halo 3 until whatever comes out next.

So, even after everything is all said and done I'm STILL perplexed at why such a General Failure such as Del Rio was given command of Humanity's greatest ship. Practically no one listens to him or hell even remotely LIKES him and only follow his shitty orders because the chain of command says so, but really? Come on.

I know Hood didn't want Parangosky to have one of her spooks in charge of the thing, but he really chose fucking Del Rio? I wouldn't trust him with a Frigate, let alone with Infinity.

So, even after everything is all said and done I'm STILL perplexed at why such a General Failure such as Del Rio was given command of Humanity's greatest ship. Practically no one listens to him or hell even remotely LIKES him and only follow his shitty orders because the chain of command says so, but really? Come on.

I know Hood didn't want Parangosky to have one of her spooks in charge of the thing, but he really chose fucking Del Rio? I wouldn't trust him with a Frigate, let alone with Infinity.

To be honest, I aproved his decisions about protecting the ship from any harm just think about it.

The Infinity is the only strong ship they have currently at the moment and it was instant EMP when they entered Requim and inmediately attacked so bad at the point it couldnt aim a single target an required a manual target to destroy a objetive, just to run away and possible saved the entire ship in the act.

But then Capitan America decied to ignore Del Rio acts so everyone, even Palmer didnt listen to the capitan of the ship orders considering she is a spartan and have to follow orders, I would assume because it was their first mission together.

belushy

Banned
Remove bloom, remove AAs, and bump up the movement speed and Reach is my favorite Halo. But the maps are still mediocre.

Yep. Reach relied too much on DLC and Forge. It is still funny that Asylum, Hemorrhage, The Cage, and Pinnacle were treated like official maps. Honestly, even if they didn't play well, they should have unlocked the Firefight maps for MP too... Some of them probably would have been fun, at least that big beach one for BTB.

@Nilla Another nice design. Really don't have any critique because I'm not a UI expert. ;P

Del Rio had a pretty good track record, he was good at bringing home these trillion dollar ships home safe during the war.
So giving him, the safe choice for your investment, the ship was not the worst decision.
Parangosky was pulling strings anyway by having pretty boy Lasky ready to step up when Rio's nerves failed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. Reach relied too much on DLC and Forge. It is still funny that Asylum, Hemorrhage, The Cage, and Pinnacle were treated like official maps. Honestly, even if they didn't play well, they should have unlocked the Firefight maps for MP too... Some of them probably would have been fun, at least that big beach one for BTB.
Thank god Asylum was included, though. One of the few solid maps at launch (or now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom