• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chettlar

Banned
Exwife and I will be in a competing party in Halo 4 momentarily... sorry Ghazi.

I looked back at a comment somebody linked back to earlier and saw Exwife is banned. I mean, I knew he was banned, but perm'd? Anybody know why? (or are we not supposed to ask that kind of stuff?)

Ghazi

It's all good, Prinz.

I looked back at a comment somebody linked back to earlier and saw Exwife is banned. I mean, I knew he was banned, but perm'd? Anybody know why? (or are we not supposed to ask that kind of stuff?)

It's not perm and he was banned for that sarcastic ("You could've fooled me") post response to one of your megaposts.

aaand my power cut out :(

Personally, I don't give a shit who lied or whatever although I think some of you guys are taking the word for word interpretation a little to far. Doesn't that sort of tell you that maybe their communication is intentionally, I don't know. Misleading?

I mean if 343 knew they were working on Halo 2 what is the problem saying it? Like my posts have been ranting about, why is it so important for them to be so secretive? I have never seen this in an IP before. Usually devs come out when presenting and just tell you whats coming out. That was NOT a Halo 2 trailer, I don't care what you guys say.

Either way I am over it, can someone just tell us WTF is going on with my favorite IP?

Chettlar

Banned
This an example of how they tried to be subtle, but buried it under 600 tons of the exact opposite... like a few seconds will somehow balance everything out. That shot works sort of, but it would work better if he were like 60% less of a little bitch with everything else he says. At best as presented he has like middle schooler-level emotional intelligence ("I am nervous and Master Chief makes me seem weak... better BE LOUD AND TALK DOWN TO HIM"), and yet is a decorated war hero in charge of the most powerful ship humanity has.

Additionally, the "aging Spartan" and "been out of the field for a while" stuff makes no sense since presumably a UNSC Captain would be somewhat familiar with the concept of cryosleep. To me it almost seems like they wrote the script with no ear to how the dialog would sound actually delivered, since the words themselves aren't bad, but somehow doubled-down on the asshole angle when it came to whatshisface actually recording them, if that makes sense.

I actually agree with the sentiment to a degree, but this part is actually not unrealistic at all:

At best as presented he has like middle schooler-level emotional intelligence ("I am nervous and Master Chief makes me seem weak... better BE LOUD AND TALK DOWN TO HIM"), and yet is a decorated war hero in charge of the most powerful ship humanity has.

No disrespect to the military, but this happens quite a lot. Ranking up after (a friend of mine, who happens to be Seargent) about Warrent Officer (I hadn't even heard of that rank before; it's between Seargent and Lieutenant) or so, you pretty much don't get anywhere without a bunch of but kissing. As long as you don't make dumb ass decisions; you can apparently get as high as you want if you politic well enough.

Besides, power brings out the worst in people, usually in the form of pettiness and immaturity. Once people start feeling like their position is being threatened, they get super defensive and unreasonable. It isn't relegated to the military either. Happens in the business world a ton (my father got fired for it. Really complicated story, but it much came down to people being threatened because he was doing a better job than them).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
No disrespect to the military, but this happens quite a lot. Ranking up after (a friend of mine, who happens to be Seargent) about Warrent Officer (I hadn't even heard of that rank before; it's between Seargent and Lieutenant) or so, you pretty much don't get anywhere without a bunch of but kissing. As long as you don't make dumb ass decisions; you can apparently get as high as you want if you politic well enough.

Besides, power brings out the worst in people, usually in the form of pettiness and immaturity. Once people start feeling like their position is being threatened, they get super defensive and unreasonable. It isn't relegated to the military either. Happens in the business world a ton (my father got fired for it. Really complicated story, but it much came down to people being threatened because he was doing a better job than them).
http://www.theonion.com/articles/insecure-frustrated-bully-with-something-to-prove,33427/

Exwife is banned
GmF4nEd.gif

Eh, but to get an assignment like that you have to have a modicum of acumen when dealing with other humans and not be so ridiculously transparent.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
How do you know it was a perm? The "no avatar means it's a perm" thing is just a myth, if that's what you're going by.

Chettlar

Banned
It's not perm and he was banned for that sarcastic ("You could've fooled me") post response to one of your megaposts.

aaand my power cut out :(

Ok, good that it's not a perm, but I thought you were permed if you're avatar can't be seen anymore. I mean, obviously we can't tell about people who don't have avatars, but ExWife had one. Does it disappear after a while or something?

Edit, snaked by kittens.

Is there some sort of way to tell at all then?

Ghazi

Damn ghazi
Just abandon a bro

Sorry :(

My power should be coming back on within 5 minutes if you're still playing,

Ok, good that it's not a perm, but I thought you were permed if you're avatar can't be seen anymore. I mean, obviously we can't tell about people who don't have avatars, but ExWife had one. Does it disappear after a while or something?

Edit, snaked by kittens.

Is there some sort of way to tell at all then?
No way to tell, I only know about it because we were talking over Twitter about it.

Chettlar

Banned

I'm sorry. :( But hey, I'm not the one who made him say what he said.

Eh, but to get an assignment like that you have to have a modicum of acumen when dealing with other humans and not be so ridiculously transparent.

That's where subtlety comes in, which is where I agree with you. I guess maybe your argument came off as really change the character a lot. I really don't think a tone of change is needed; just tone it down a bit, so I think if we're disagreeing it's on the level that he should be changed (or should have been in the first place; now that the character is established, the ability to change him is severely restricted).

Not to be disrespectful or anything, but while his character was good, it came off like how a middle schooler would write. Really the writing in Halo 4 is just bad over all. I mean, who am I to say that, right? But still, I am the one playing through the game and trying to get immersed in it. If there's bad writing, it sticks out like a sore thumb and won't let me get immersed no matter what I want.

The KI rank system is awesome. Take notes 343.

I hear the netcode is also awesome. Take notes 343.

You know I just realized....we're telling 343 to take notes from Double Helix. DOUBLE HELIX! They really turned it around with KI; I am impressed.

Madness

You know Team Slayer and Big Team Battle with a few good people all mic'd up is pretty fun in Halo 4. Still dislike flinch, but the base Slayer is fun.

Defect

How does it work?
I'm going to say that it's similar to Halo 2/3's system. Basically if you win matches your bar increases but if you lose, it goes down.

I don't know the specifics so maybe Poker Faced or Syphon could explain it more in-depth.

CyReN

posted on r/xboxone, head of concept art at Saber interactive (team responsible for Halo 1 Anniversary)

sFh0b6o.png

hype rising

Madness

Wtf, there is another odd numbered achievement for rockets? How hard is it to get the hat trick achievement to even it out? Score 3x in one round of riccochet?

Am I the only one obsessed with that Titanfall Collectors edition? That freakin statue is nuts.
I'll be surprised if that thing turns out well. By and large, most collectors edition statues or figures turn out to be ugly junk compared to merchandise put out after the fact.

TheOddOne

iirc famousmortimer feels that 343 essentially restarted Halo 5 development and moved up Halo 2 Anniversary to 2014. Probably false but still somewhat plausible.
His blog post about the matter is super weird.
So putting all of that together I decided, with 99.99% certainty (as I said in my tweet ><) that this guy was a controlled leaker. In my opinion… Microsoft had planned this to get the core excited while most of the world stayed in the dark (like most things that happen on GAF or gaming-reddit).
So he thought, without a source to back it up that, it was a controlled leak and tweeted it. Strange thing to tweet.
After I had posted my “99.99% sure he is a controlled leaker” tweet I got an urgent message from someone who is very respected in the videogame community. Part of the deal was that I wouldn’t give his/her name (which I wouldn’t do anyway) and I’m not trying to pseudo-namedrop right now but I do want to make the point that this person is trustworthy and known and it would be counter-intuitive for her/him to ever lie to me. He/she asked me if a person from Microsoft could contact me. He/she vouched that this person was “very high up” and that he/she has known this person for a long time. I said sure and about 20 minutes later I got an email from someone at Microsoft.
Wait, somebody just contacted him and vouched for another person that was going to mail him. That sounds...weird.
The email was written expressly for me. I mean, obviously all emails you get are written for you, but this person wasn’t just putting together a mass email and trying to hit industry personalities with info. He was responding directly to my tweets saying that NTKRNL was not a part of Microsoft marketing and that Microsoft was trying to track him down with all available resources and that not only was he going to be fired but they were also going to press charges about releasing trade secrets. I read the email about five times. It made zero sense to me. Actually, let me clarify that, it made zero sense that they would spend the time writing this email *TO* me. Yeah, #PS4NoDRM was a big deal, I’m also not oblivious to the fact that I am much more visible in the community now than I was several years ago… but I’m not a bigtime player. I’m barely a bit player. Why spend that time communicating with me? This person didn’t care what I thought. They just knew that I had some sort of reach and were trying to spin it. Big or small. IGN or YouTube personality. They know they need to get the message out through everyone. At least Royal Caribbean sent a vice president…
Why is he suprised that somebody would contact him directly just when the other respected source said he would be contacted directly?
I then got on twitter and said he wasn’t a controlled leaker. He was a renegade employee that was being hunted down by Microsoft. Even with the questions I had about the email they sent (especially since it just told me info and asked me nothing) I believed it because I trusted (and still do) the person who hooked us up to talk in the first place. It was weird but it had to be the truth. So my 99.99% tweet hit the .01% jackpot at that point. I said as much on twitter. I know a lot of people think I’m in this for the attention (I like attention but it’s not the only thing that drives me) or think I want to destroy companies (I have preferences but I’m not fucking insane). The truth of the matter is that I always say what I’ve been told if I trust the source.
3rd party source and bias claims being explained, super weird.
NTKRNL is controlled marketing. Why?

January NPDs. Also, no Titanfall Xbox. Don’t try to spin me, motherfuckers.
Another blanket statement that contradicts the above statements and his sources.

This is just all so weird.

Madness

There is this thing called Husky Raid in Action Sack and damn does it get intense. As long as you don't have shitheads on your team, it's quite easy to push and go for the flag. Quite fun, maybe because both sides were good players. Anyone else tried it?

There is this thing called Husky Raid in Action Sack and damn does it get intense. As long as you don't have shitheads on your team, it's quite easy to push and go for the flag. Quite fun, maybe because both sides were good players. Anyone else tried it?

Yeah I've played it quite a few times. All you have to do is have half decent teamates that push all the time. As soon as you try and play defense or just snipe across the map you lose.

Probably my favorite gametype in action sack. I do miss sumo from halo 3 though, that gametype was so much fun.

El_Chino

His blog post about the matter is super weird.

So he thought, without a source to back it up that, it was a controlled leak and tweeted it. Strange thing to tweet.

Wait, somebody just contacted him and vouched for another person that was going to mail him. That sounds...weird.

Why is he suprised that somebody would contact him directly just when the other respected source said he would be contacted directly?

3rd party source and bias claims being explained, super weird.

Another blanket statement that contradicts the above statements and his sources.

This is just all so weird.
Yeah.

I was really surprised about how blunt he was about being biased.

Mistel

Banned
Famous mortimer article is weird like Oddone says, I don't know at all really I'd trust Ntkrnl over him.

Hey Avalon are you upset about something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom