• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebula

To be fair, I'd be pretty pissed if I organised a LAN with 16 people and had it ruined by awful UI. Guy also has a job and games he has to look for issues with. He probably doesn't want to spend his free time detailing issues with other games when he already spends most of his time doing it for his own.

Not defending how he said it though, but I understand where he is coming from.

belushy

Banned
I stuck a border on:
foricecnj6w.png

As for destructible campaign like red faction has it's cool but I don't know how to implement it in halo.

Obviously it would be useless in the type of campaigns we have now, which are usually linear. So this is assuming the next game is open world.

CyReN

What a douche.

Not really, if you read his other tweets regarding the situation

b221c54bb60870080c62bb7ad81e7ed9.png

Halo 4 is a very very bad game to organize on LAN, no DLC sticks, gametypes erase, then joining lobbies can be iffy at times. Helped setup Gamers For Giving last year with it and a few people had to work over night to make the game work because how screwed up the system is. It probably didn't help that Black Ops 2 was on the other side of the room with their amazing spectator mode and easy LAN transition.

The first, and last time I lanned it.

Mistel

Banned
You are awesome, thanks
No problem :D.
Obviously it would be useless in the type of campaigns we have now, which are usually linear. So this is assuming the next game is open world.
I'm not sure really whether halo would work as a open world shooter it would be nice though.

Never do consultation work for free.
Yeah that's true, imagine though if you had to pay for everyone's issues consultations with cragmire :p.

Because something something player choice something.
I think one thing it did do was to help combat players camping power weapons. Specifically, if i'm on a team of randoms playing a grouped-up party, there's no way I'm ever going to get my hands on any power weapons. Ordnance kind of gives the loners (but i'm sure most of gaf would say, "bad kids") a fighting chance. At least that's the one pro I can see in it. But ultimately, you need consistency for true competition and not an action sack "oh hey look i just randomly got my hands on a rocket launcher" bonanza.

I have a dream that one day there will be both a team playlist and a randoms playlist in Halo. Having the crossover literally ruins a random's experience in most games.

CyReN

Updated

a8SJz7v.jpg

Production & Event

Halo 2 Cutscenes
Halo 2 - Legendary Ending
Behind the Scenes: Making of Halo 2
Halo 2 - Beyond Single Player, Multiplayer and Live
Halo 2 - Visualizing the Story
Halo 2 - Designing the levels
Halo 2 - "Cutting Room: Floor Cinematics"
Halo 2 - "Cutting Room: Weapons, Vehicles & Characters"
First Look at Halo 2
Halo 2 E3 Teaser Trailer
Halo 2 E3 Real Time Demo
Halo 2 E3 Multiplayer Demo
Halo 2 - Making of Halo "Bungie Factor"
Halo 2 - "Weekly What's Update Video"
Making of Halo 2 Map Packs
Halo 2 Trailer "Already Here"
Halo 2 Theatrical Trailer
Halo 2 Vista Trailer
Halo 2 "Another Day At The Beach"
G4TV Icons - Bungie
G4TV Halo 2 Times Square Launch
X-Play - "The Halo 2 Episode"
The Ultimate Gamer - Part 1 | Part 2
Halo 2 Beta at MLG Seattle
First MLG Halo 2 Tourrnament
Sex Drugs and Halo Pros - Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3
Halo 2 Speed Run at AGDQ 2014 by Mister Monopoli
Halo 2 Tricks Playlist

Fan Made

Halo 2 Trash Talk
Croyt's Anger Part 1 | Part 2
Ghost of Lockout
The Yellow Warthog Unlocked
Hidden Flood Juggernaut
OGRE 1 41-0 on MLG Lockout Hill
In Remembrance of Halo 2
MLG Vegas 2007 Finals

Montage

Walshy 2nd Montage
OGRES Halo 2 Montage
Rippon Halo 2 Montage 1
Itwasluck's 5th Montage
Eli The Ninja 1st Montage
shooK on3 - The Revolution
shooK On3 - Fragging Rights
The Halo God - Can't Touch This
The Halo God - Dust 2 Dust
The Halo God - Just wanna have fun
The Halo god - Stick to your roots
Reid18 Halo 2 Montage
Reid18 "Nubtage"
Nakamuras Halo 2 Montage
Toxic Euphoria Halo 2 Montage
Arkive Montage 3
Titan VIII Montage 4
Halzred Montage 5
B Sik Montage 6
The Dead Serious Tage
Zola's Trinity
Phurion "Into The Trance"
Phurion "Breathe"
GuN Sh0t Montage 2
Hysteria's and Eli's "The Wicked End"
Bradddddddddddd - Montage 2
Midpoint "A Gamer Grows Up"

(still working on it)

belushy

Banned
Updated

(still working on it)

Awesome list, Cyren. I saw you had posted the "In Remembrance" video on reddit and I enjoyed watching it. Definitely will be useful for the first H2A OT.

No problem :D.

I'm not sure really whether halo would work as a open world shooter it would be nice though.

Yeah that's true, imagine though if you had to pay for everyone's issues consultations with cragmire :p.

Yeah, I doubt it either, but I was just basing it off of "leaks" that someone posted forever ago.

Fuchsdh

Guy comes off as an asshole though. He has the time to complain about the problems, but then wants to be "hired/paid" to discuss what they are, why they are problems, how to fix them.

343 can probably benefit from a several dozens of our posts here, just as much as that guy could. Not to discredit his "industry experience", but many of us have literally spent the better parts of the past 13 years playing some form of Halo, and while we may not necessarily agree on what needs fixing, why, we know when something works and when something doesn't.

Pretty much. He's a douche. If you have enough time to fire off tweets bitching about it, you can be constructive about it. Clearly your time is not so precious.

Never do consultation work for free.

Not everyone places the same price tags on their time as others.

Karl2177

feature-set-header.png

Every Halo title has introduced something new to the feature set. Halo: CE started off with only 2 modes, campaign or multiplayer. Now the two latest iterations have included a wide array of features ranging from an extended campaign to watching multiplayer replays, and even having features that relate to the progression system, such as daily challenges. For future Halo games, this should be expanded to give more features to the player. This article is all about refining returning features and introducing new features, including how they could be incorporated, why they are important, and who they are beneficial to.

[Read more]

IHaveIce

Banned
Updated

(still working on it)
Should be in the OP for the Halo 2 Anniversary OT
feature-set-header.png

Every Halo title has introduced something new to the feature set. Halo: CE started off with only 2 modes, campaign or multiplayer. Now the two latest iterations have included a wide array of features ranging from an extended campaign to watching multiplayer replays, and even having features that relate to the progression system, such as daily challenges. For future Halo games, this should be expanded to give more features to the player. This article is all about refining returning features and introducing new features, including how they could be incorporated, why they are important, and who they are beneficial to.

[Read more]

Good article Karl, really liked it and this topic should be very high on 343s to do list

TheOddOne

I think one thing it did do was to help combat players camping power weapons. Specifically, if i'm on a team of randoms playing a grouped-up party, there's no way I'm ever going to get my hands on any power weapons. Ordnance kind of gives the loners (but i'm sure most of gaf would say, "bad kids") a fighting chance. At least that's the one pro I can see in it. But ultimately, you need consistency for true competition and not an action sack "oh hey look i just randomly got my hands on a rocket launcher" bonanza.

I have a dream that one day there will be both a team playlist and a randoms playlist in Halo. Having the crossover literally ruins a random's experience in most games.
I feel that it created more chaos by randomization, which makes the game feel more like a run-and-gun game than a strategic FPS. In the end it created more frustration and punishment for all the players. The notion “more power to the player is not always better” is Halo 4 in a nutshell for me.

Destiny looks damn gorgeous.

Screenshot_venus02.jpg

His blog post about the matter is super weird.

So he thought, without a source to back it up that, it was a controlled leak and tweeted it. Strange thing to tweet.

Wait, somebody just contacted him and vouched for another person that was going to mail him. That sounds...weird.

Why is he suprised that somebody would contact him directly just when the other respected source said he would be contacted directly?

3rd party source and bias claims being explained, super weird.

Another blanket statement that contradicts the above statements and his sources.

This is just all so weird.

I dunno, it kinda makes sense in a way. As far as i can tell he hasn't lied about things, nor purposely misled. It does go to show that things are always changing, and you can't being 100% sure about things even when certain people have a good track record of accurate rumors.

I know this mars on looks like it would suit halo a lot:
Screenshot_mars01.jpg

Like I was saying, Destiny is damn gorgeous.

Good to see my picture getting some use. :lol

Well this is random.

Tim Spencer is a designer over at Sumo Digital LTD.

His points are accurate, but unless he is being a little sarcastic and I am missing it the guy sure seems to be a douche.

Mistel

Banned
I'm still waiting for my Gui avatar, should be coming in the mail any day now.
If knew how I would totally stick Fuchsdh's Gui face on your Solaire of Astora instead of the sun.
I read the article Karl and I do like the idea of terminals, data logs etc. that you need to look for in ODST it was a fun thing to do as you evaded the patrols, I wouldn't mid the evolution of spartan ops to be a side story instead of a follow up, but I don't really like spartan ops its dull and boring characters made more of a chore than the encounters.

Carnotaur i'm still gutted I can't have a Stan Wilson T-Rex :(.

I feel that it created more chaos by randomization, which makes the game feel more like a run-and-gun game than a strategic FPS. In the end it created more frustration and punishment for all the players. The notion “more power to the player is not always better” is Halo 4 in a nutshell for me.
Absolutely. Initially I thought it was kind of cool to not have to worry about competing for them. But, like you said, it punishes more than it rewards. You need consistency in the sandbox to allow for proper competition. Otherwise, how can a team ever feel like they legitimately won or lost a game?

heckfu

Banned
Pretty much. He's a douche. If you have enough time to fire off tweets bitching about it, you can be constructive about it. Clearly your time is not so precious.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. What's the point of complaining without solutions? Oh, to be a douche. That's the point!

Ghazi

All is Gui that ends Gui

Also, if there ever is a Halo movie it needs to be a love story. About how interspecies love can bloom on the battlefield.

SOS1E10_Jul_carrying_Halsey.jpg

And just to ruin everyone's "old lady" mental image of Halsey, here's a picture of her in a pink nightgown from Captain Keyes's memory:

Young_Dr._Halsey.JPG

I really, really did not like her interpretation in Halo Legends, in fact that whole 3D model, CGI episode felt really off and weird to me. The rest of it was hot looking though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I want to slap everyone who's ever made a Halo montage. So many awful visual effects that obscure the footage and make it hard to tell what's going on. It's terrible. I just tried watching four of those montages that Cyren posted and had to quit all of them within a few minutes. Duncan did it right!

Ghazi

I actually photoshopped that image over Cyren'a Saber projects picture earlier and then decided not to post it.

Yeah, it was from DevientArt

CyReN

Sometimes I want to slap everyone who's ever made a Halo montage. So many awful visual effects that obscure the footage and make it hard to tell what's going on. It's terrible. I just tried watching four of those montages that Cyren posted and had to quit all of them within a few minutes. Duncan did it right!

If you like basic editing this is probably my favorite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNbc4wmACJE

You basically have to find montages released before mid 2006 to get basic editing.

Mistel

Banned
From spanish videogames website XtraLife.es
http://www.xtralife.es/xbox-one/halo-2-anniversary/15671
*Caratula provisional = PROVISIONAL COVER
That's roughly £40 (well £41) that's not that bad but thank goodness that cover is provisional.
I really, really did not like her interpretation in Halo Legends, in fact that whole 3D model, CGI episode felt really off and weird to me. The rest of it was hot looking though.
You mean this one:
That outfit though I quite like, Halsey doesn't suit blonde hair.

wwm0nkey

And just to ruin everyone's "old lady" mental image of Halsey, here's a picture of her in a pink nightgown from Captain Keyes's memory:

Young_Dr._Halsey.JPG

That scene was amazing, Showed how terrifying being converted to the flood really is and what Keys had to see before he died. All his memories and everything he was, he had to watch it all go before his eyes and then lost to the flood.

Halo needs more of this kind of story telling!

Seriously, so fucking good.

I completely agree. If I'm watching a game montage, I want to see pretty much just the gameplay, not the gameplay as seen through the eyes of a person who just drank a 55-gallon drum of Mountain Dew.

Mistel

Banned
One thing I would really like is some more focus on female armor designs a majority of 4's are ugly not to mention the weird scaling on female character models for shoulder plates. For armor I would like something like this:
Something that's a bit more feminine whilst still being functional and not ugly.

Stuck It here instead of previous page.

Chettlar

Banned
Oh, by the way, thanks Stormtrooper for the avatar! I'm really digging it right now.

That scene was amazing, Showed how terrifying being converted to the flood really is and what Keys had to see before he died. All his memories and everything he was, he had to watch it all go before his eyes and then lost to the flood.

That was...fantastic. Like wow; brilliant stuff.

HTupolev

Rockslider doing his thing, killing Halo 1 enemies like a boss.

It's definitely the worst effect to come out of recent times. Gives me a headache just looking at it
Imagine how amazing Halo 3 could look if it was more graphically modern!

That and HDR.

Why does EVERYBODY use HDR. It's stupid. It doesn't even look that good, and my word does it look cheap.
HDR in its own right is pretty awesome. There's nothing wrong with having more information to work with when shading the scene.

Excessive bloom (and other "let's use our HDR lololol!" effects) is sometimes problematic, though that's usually not because of the HDR. Games with good HDR can usually get away with subtler bloom, actually. Halo 3 blows out a lot, but that's not because of the high HDR depth (and the high HDR depth helps make that level of blowing out a LOT more tolerable to look at than in other games).

Ghazi

CEA's Terminals were done extremely well, makes me sad that 343 botched the in-game implementation of 4s. But yeah, that terminal was very good, I liked how he
kept repeating his name, rank, and designation to not forget who he was.
You mean this one:

That outfit though I quite like, Halsey doesn't suit blonde hair.
That outfit is some Zero Suit Samus rip off, neither Halsey's face nor her hair are similar at all to Cortana either.

ElRenoRaven

Yup. The terminals were amazing for anniversary and even Halo 4's terminals were good. That's why I think some of the choices they made story wise with Halo 4 annoy me so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom