• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could go either way on the armour, are there any differences in modern combat dress for females?
I think the US recently standarised their outfit for both genders :

139363824.jpg

That scene was amazing, Showed how terrifying being converted to the flood really is and what Keys had to see before he died. All his memories and everything he was, he had to watch it all go before his eyes and then lost to the flood.

Halo needs more of this kind of story telling!

Seriously, so fucking good.
Yeah, it's possibly my favourite piece of Halo fiction in the past few years.
Although my fascination / enjoyment of the Flood is well documented.

Caayn

343i should look at what Bungie did in Reach for the differences between male and female armor. I think Bungie nailed it in Reach and improved on it in Destiny(from what we've seen so far).

Mistel

Banned
343i should look at what Bungie did in Reach for the differences between male and female armor. I think Bungie nailed it in Reach and improved on it in Destiny(from what we've seen so far).
I like the destiny armor it looks feminine without being over the top:
The one on the right is my favorite. Hopefully 343 can follow the the style of armor reach had instead of their gen 2 stuff.

My reach armor looks much more aesthetically appealing as well compared to what I've got in 4. Designing it so it is suitable to it uses along with not looking too masculine would be nice to see.

Chettlar

Banned
CEA's Terminals were done extremely well, makes me sad that 343 botched the in-game implementation of 4s. But yeah, that terminal was very good, I liked how he
kept repeating his name, rank, and designation to not forget who he was.

I thought the same, spoiler an all. I liked the acting too:
"I WILL NOT LET YOU!"

My name is Chettlar, and I endorse this message.

Actually I think Reach's armor overall was the best in the series, though 4 has a few really good looking armor sets.

wwm0nkey

Yup. The terminals were amazing for anniversary and even Halo 4's terminals were good. That's why I think some of the choices they made story wise with Halo 4 annoy me so much.
Halo 4's loading screens between missions should have just been the terminals. Or make up an excuse for the Librarian to have John see these things so it makes sense to show it in game.

IF they bring back the flood they must show their true terror, not for turning you into a space zombie but showing you everything that made you, you while having you forget it all and slowly start taking away emotion after emotion until you are nothing but their mindless husk in what they believe is "saving" you by making all life into one entity.

The flood and really all lore of Halo can be really deep and amazing but I feel like 343 attempted to tap into that but missed the mark with the terminals. Halo 5 has a big chance to redeeme 343 story and MP wise and they really have a great chance since the game is seemingly delayed until 2015.

Also the Halsey stuff can be redeemed IF they acknowledge that she was approved and ordered to do it by Oni and that the S3 program people also get punishment.

I miss Halo :(

Chettlar

Banned
People didn't like the flood because it didn't fight like the covenant. They (and this includes me for a while) didn't realize that the flood played differently because you weren't supposed to know how to fight them. That's what made them so scary. Once you start learning how to fight them, they become a blast to play against. The Library, Halo (Halo 3), and all those levels are actually really, really fun to play once you learn how.

Then when CE put both enemies together in The Maw it was like "OOOOOOHH YES." Later Halo games still have yet to pull that off like the CE did.

And yes, "Cortana" is starting to grow on me. If they had just not had those ranged forms (or at least made them less annoying to fight), it would have been a perfect level.

wwm0nkey

Gameplay wise for the flood I LOVED how if you shot them in the infection parasite it killed them instantly. Really cool idea of using weak points that worked so well.

Weak points on flood need to come back when the flood do. Either waste an entire SMG clip or aim for the right spot for a quick burst kill.

Chettlar

Banned
Gameplay wise for the flood I LOVED how if you shot them in the infection parasite it killed them instantly. Really cool idea of using weak points that worked so well.

Weak points on flood need to come back when the flood do. Either waste an entire SMG clip or aim for the right spot for a quick burst kill.

I agree definitely. I also think flood should look a little bit more like they did in CE. See in Halo 3, the flood looked like they were made of baked, green skin ulcers. In CE, they almost looked like they had a sort of papery skin, which sort of made them look like mummies, and more "dead" overall. Idk, I just liked that look.

Goshdarnit I had a dream last night in which I was explaining to somebody exactly how the flood should look and was really cool, but of course I've forgotten it. :(

Oh, and playing "Halo" in Halo 3 by running around and punching flood with the mythic skull (like with the skull itself). It's just...fun. Frantic, crazy, omygodimgunnadie, fun.

wwm0nkey

I like Halo 2's flood personally. I just want to see the Juggernaut and Pure forms back but again with weak points the make the encounters fun and challenging rather than loading 5 clips into a meat chunk.

You could even emulate that online with a new flood mode where you play as pure forms bit have to keep your weak point in mind while moving around and have the survivors build protection with objects laying around the map like on Foundation in Halo 2. Protecting and building is what made zombie mode fun, don't think 343 or Bungie post H3 understood that.

I like the destiny armor it looks feminine without being over the top:

The one on the right is my favorite. Hopefully 343 can follow the the style of armor reach had instead of their gen 2 stuff.

My reach armor looks much more aesthetically appealing as well compared to what I've got in 4. Designing it so it is suitable to it uses along with not looking too masculine would be nice to see.

The main thing i dislike about the Halo 4 armors is that they have little armor on them. It makes them look frail and not like a spartan. Also i didn't like the bumps on the black inner part of the suit.

Why are there websites advertising a game to be pre-ordered but has yet to be fully announced by MS/343? Doesn't that comes off fishy? Isn't logical to wait until an Official reveal is confirmed And Then pre-order from Amazon, Ebay, and Etc. Etc.?

Omni

I agree definitely. I also think flood should look a little bit more like they did in CE. See in Halo 3, the flood looked like they were made of baked, green skin ulcers. In CE, they almost looked like they had a sort of papery skin, which sort of made them look like mummies, and more "dead" overall. Idk, I just liked that look.
I dunno. These guys look pretty dead to me

Chettlar

Banned
I dunno. These guys look pretty dead to me

Oh, they look dead alright, but less freaky and creepy than "BAHHH I'M SCARY." The actual creature looks like something alive and messed up. I mean, that is kind of what is happening actually, but still.

It's kind of like the difference between fighting a dead pale, floating person vs. a big, terrible monster. Both are scary, but the first one is what will make you lose your nerve. The former is what I'm getting at. Not a direct comparison, but CE was closer to the former than the latter as far as looks go.

Mistel

Banned
343 mentioned anything about any more updates for H4 or is it done?
Not that I know of other than rotational playlists and they don't really count.

The main thing i dislike about the Halo 4 armors is that they have little armor on them. It makes them look frail and not like a spartan. Also i didn't like the bumps on the black inner part of the suit.
I did dislike the style of armor they developed it looks so ugly mainly due to the points you mentioned, it's another example of pointless change to make their mark.

And just to ruin everyone's "old lady" mental image of Halsey, here's a picture of her in a pink nightgown from Captain Keyes's memory:

Young_Dr._Halsey.JPG

I think that was the moment when Miranda was made
HUEHUEHUE
then they get on they own ways.

No one have a happy origin in Halo.

One thing I would really like is some more focus on female armor designs a majority of 4's are ugly not to mention the weird scaling on female character models for shoulder plates. For armor I would like something like this:

Didnt female models are actually the male body but with reduced trunk part unlike reach where it have more hips, butt and chest. I think there only one feminine pose in the entire stance options.

wwm0nkey

Again I say bring some lore into it and have some of them be in the state of trying to push back the flood. Have their neck snaped sideways screaming, crying and begging for the flood to stop. Let the idea of the creature scare you too.

Mistel

Banned
Oh, they look dead alright, but less freaky and creepy than "BAHHH I'M SCARY." The actual creature looks like something alive and messed up. I mean, that is kind of what is happening actually, but still.

It's kind of like the difference between fighting a dead pale, floating person vs. a big, terrible monster. Both are scary, but the first one is what will make you lose your nerve. The former is what I'm getting at. Not a direct comparison, but CE was closer to the former than the latter as far as looks go.
Would this be a better representation of the flood?
Elite_Flood_Combat_Form_%28Very_Angry%29.jpg

I mean it fulfills your monster criteria.

Chettlar

Banned
Would this be a better representation of the flood?
Elite_Flood_Combat_Form_%28Very_Angry%29.jpg

I mean it fulfills your monster criteria.

I said "former" didn't I? Former is the first one, and I was saying the "former" is more what I wanted, so monster criteria, while not bad at all, is the opposite of what I was trying to get at.

Mistel

Banned
I said "former" didn't I? Former is the first one, and I was saying the "former" is more what I wanted, so monster criteria, while not bad at all, is the opposite of what I was trying to get at.
Well it is degrading and stuff i'm not exactly going to post a body at several stages of decomposition am I? It fulfills both the monster and the elite combat forms are perfect for that.

CE's human form look like this
Sure the resemblance to humans is there but there is little that is scary about it. Unlike the later versions did much better

Didnt female models are actually the male body but with reduced trunk part unlike reach where it have more hips, butt and chest. I think there only one feminine pose in the entire stance options.
There a feminine stance? Please tell me which one I can't find it. I don't know what they did to the model in 4 they do look pretty much like the males with scrawny arms and a smaller torso.

Reach did it so much better than 4:

Omni

Marines can't have bad hair days? Can't catch a break, always up to their knees in negative views from the public...

Geez man. I look exactly like that second guy, you gonna call me dead too?

g1GTW3v.gif

Oh wow. I have discovered BF4's emblem system. Currently rocking the UNSC logo

Would be awesome if Halo [x] had a similar system. Default emblems are overrated.

Woorloog

Banned
He's right in terms of Halo being far more popular during that time. Online numbers are low as well. If they get this next one right i can see them reaching that level again.

Being far more popular than when, than what? Relative to other games, back then, it may have been. Absolutely speaking, it is probably more popular today than it was back then (didn't both Reach and Halo 4 sell more than Halo 3? And the franchise has expanded more afterwards too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom