• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ora

Banned
Shouldn't Halo be more popular now? World population is 7.14 billion now whereas it was only 6.6 billion in 2007.

Being far more popular than when, than what? Relative to other games, back then, it may have been. Absolutely speaking, it is probably more popular today than it was back then (didn't both Reach and Halo 4 sell more than Halo 3? And the franchise has expanded more afterwards too).

No Halo 3 sold more than Reach and Halo 4 actually. It was played online much more too back then. Halo always had books,etc

TheXbox

Being far more popular than when, than what? Relative to other games, back then, it may have been. Absolutely speaking, it is probably more popular today than it was back then (didn't both Reach and Halo 4 sell more than Halo 3? And the franchise has expanded more afterwards too).
Halo 3 is still the best selling Halo game of all time.

Woorloog

Banned
No Halo 3 sold more than Reach and Halo 4 actually. It was played online much more too back then. Halo always had books,etc

Looks like... I'm surprised, very much so.
I had expected the series to have sold more with each installment. I wonder if this is the case with COD and Battlefield.

Gui_PT

Halo 3 is still the best selling Halo game of all time.

die-hard-hans-gruber-fdshk.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
I believe Call of Duty peaked with Black Ops 1, but I might be wrong.

Sales in dollars have been bigger with each COD since MW2 but not sure about numbers. Probably bigger too.
EDIT Ghosts has sold less than BLOPS2.

EDIT Halo 3 seems to be something of an anomaly, with twice the sold units compared to Reach and Halo 4. Gotta check Halo 2 numbers... EDIT 6.3 million in the US. Huh.

EDIT i wonder if Halo 3 was really expected or if it had very good advertising campaign. Perhaps both. Perhaps it was a big disappointment to many, leading to lower sales for sequels, or perhaps the sequels had much smaller advertising campaigns. EDIT oh and what was the COD's effect on the sales. Halo was the dominating Xbox shooter until COD, GoW doesn't seem to have had that great impact.

Sales in dollars have been bigger with each COD since MW2 but not sure about numbers. Probably bigger too.
EDIT Ghosts has sold less than BLOPS2.

EDIT Halo 3 seems to be something of an anomaly, with twice the sold units compared to Reach and Halo 4. Gotta check Halo 2 numbers... EDIT 6.3 million in the US. Huh.

EDIT i wonder if Halo 3 was really expected or if it had very good advertising campaign. Perhaps both. Perhaps it was a big disappointment to many, leading to lower sales for sequels, or perhaps the sequels had much smaller advertising campaigns.

I would say Halo 3 had a bigger marketing campaign for sure. Halo 4 didn't seem to have as much marketing and i thought the commercial was bad really. Reach had a better one. The numbers are down because the games arent as good as Halo 3. No Halo game ever had 10k players online[literally only 10k] one year in its release. Even Reach had 200k+ online players a year in it's release.

Woorloog

Banned
The numbers are down because the games arent as good as Halo 3. No Halo game ever had 10k players online[literally only 10k] one year in its release. Even Reach had 200k+ online players a year in it's release.

By what metric?
Review scores for both are excellent. Sales numbers for both were excellent (4+ million is far from bad, for an exclusive).
Online player numbers? Halo 4 still has healthy amount of online players (i can actually find a game without problems in Halo 4, unlike in Halo 3 currently*). Sure, it is low compared to its predecessors but i have my doubts it will have heavy effect on any future games. Especially on the sales. (If Halo 5 will sell 4 million or more, i highly doubt anyone but a HaloGAFer will call Halo dead)

*Though admittedly i'm not sure where i should compare this exactly. I don't play that many online games. Wonder how many players Mass Effect 3 MP has (on Xbox, on all platforms), or BF3?

ElRenoRaven

People didn't like the flood because it didn't fight like the covenant. They (and this includes me for a while) didn't realize that the flood played differently because you weren't supposed to know how to fight them. That's what made them so scary. Once you start learning how to fight them, they become a blast to play against. The Library, Halo (Halo 3), and all those levels are actually really, really fun to play once you learn how.

Then when CE put both enemies together in The Maw it was like "OOOOOOHH YES." Later Halo games still have yet to pull that off like the CE did.

And yes, "Cortana" is starting to grow on me. If they had just not had those ranged forms (or at least made them less annoying to fight), it would have been a perfect level.

Exactly. The flood was a huge change of pace. You went from these enemies who had minds per say and who fought you to these straight up mindless zombies coming at you full bore. I loved it. The Library in Halo 1 other then how easy it is to get directions mixed up is fun as hell. Then The flood levels in Halo 2 were amazing. Hell Cortana in Halo 3 I loved. The only thing I did not like about the flood in Halo 3 were those ranged forms. Other then those they were awesome.

Woorloog

Banned
I bet Halo 4 could have outsold Halo 3 if....Bungie didn't make ODST/Reach and made Halo 4.

I somehow doubt ODST had effect on reduced sales of later games, being something of an expansion pack. EDIT its own marketing certainly had effect on its own scores and sales. Bungie and MS really fucked that up by flipflopping what it was...

By what metric?
Review scores for both are excellent. Sales numbers for both were excellent (4+ million is far from bad, for an exclusive).
Online player numbers? Halo 4 still has healthy amount of online players (i can actually find a game without problems in Halo 4, unlike in Halo 3 currently*). Sure, it is low compared to its predecessors but i have my doubts it will have heavy effect on any future games. Especially on the sales. (If Halo 5 will sell 4 million or more, i highly doubt anyone but a HaloGAFer will call Halo dead)

*Though admittedly i'm not sure where i should compare this exactly. I don't play that many online games. Wonder how many players Mass Effect 3 MP has (on Xbox, on all platforms), or BF3?

I am not saying the Halo 4 numbers are bad but for Halo standards they kind of are. 10k is not health at all for a game 1 year old. Reach had 200k+ in the same time frame.10k is piss poor for Halo standards,its not about finding a match. I could find matches in Perfect Dark zero from launch in 2005. Of course Halo 5 will sell millions but Halo has other standards that are much higher than a mere 4 million.

Woorloog

Banned
Series fatigue more than anything. I love ODST, but the $59.99 price point probably didn't sit well with the average consumer.

Series fatigue is a funny phenomenon. Claimed to exists but doesn't seem to exists... If it were real, how come COD sells so well?
Developer fatigue, now that is more likely to exists but its effect is hard to measure (IMO Reach is a good example of this, it integrates rail-shooter sections from other games and doesn't really do anything new to Halo EDIT space combat aside).

Series fatigue more than anything. I love ODST, but the $59.99 price point probably didn't sit well with the average consumer.

I don't think it was series fatigue because COD still sells and that is yearly. ODST sold well for an expansion,if it says Halo people will buy it regardless of the price. Halo 4 could have sold more if it went back to it's roots and not further go where Reach did.

Series fatigue is a funny phenomenon. Claimed to exists but doesn't seem to exists... If it were real, how come COD sells so well?
Developer fatigue, now that is more likely to exists but its effect is hard to measure (IMO Reach is a good example of this, it integrates rail-shooter sections from other games and doesn't really do anything new to Halo).

I don't think it was series fatigue because COD still sells and that is yearly. ODST sold well for an expansion,if it says Halo people will buy it regardless of the price. Halo 4 could have sold more if it went back to it's roots and not further go where Reach did.

300px-Guitar_Hero_logo.svg.png

Nothing has really challenged Call of Duty besides Battlefield..and Battlefield isn't easy enough to pick up and play like CoD is. It's declining, and I think we'll see the first big dip in sales this year because of TitanFall and Destiny.

300px-Guitar_Hero_logo.svg.png

Nothing has really challenged Call of Duty besides Battlefield..and Battlefield isn't easy enough to pick up and play like CoD is. It's declining, and I think we'll see the first big dip in sales this year because of TitanFall and Destiny.

GH comparison is absurd, COD already lasted longer right now and still going. COD will never go away,it will only drop in sales but still sell few millions.

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 4 could have sold more if it went back to it's roots and not further go where Reach did.

I seriously wonder about that.
Though how it is marketed will, no doubt, affect that: were MS to capitalize on how it is "old-school", i wonder if it would sell actually less as it could be seen as niche or too hardcore. Of course, it could lift it above the masses by being different (or by appealing to more competitive people) but i reckon people rarely think old as being different, or something new (compared to contemporary stuff). And i reckon most console shooter-players are relatively casual and not-that-competitive. Could be wrong of course... it would be interesting to see if there has been actual research on such numbers (what kind of players play what kind of games, etc.)

Me, i will ditch Halo if it goes too much toward "classic" Halo, but that would have to be rather extreme, like returning to limited, Halo CE-like sandbox (i like large sandboxes even if many weapons are only superficially different). Ditching equipment/AAs and not replacing them with another system (doesn't have to be "active", a more passive or otherkind of system would do, like RPG-like progression*) might do that as well. Or returning to Reach-like gameplay.
But that's only extreme cases, i doubt any of them actually happen. I'm more worried whether MS will ever give me a compelling reason to buy Xbone.

*Just throwing that out there, not commenting on whether it would be good or not.

https://fbcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/s720x720/1779192_521778144602731_378886393_n.jpg[img]
I like the first one honestly[/QUOTE]
Not updated-looking enough. Halo CEA had more updated-looking Chief.

EDIT and Guitar Hero, it had market over-saturation. That point seems to be far, far higher for shooters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom