• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but doesn't CA do a lot of the MP maps for the main titles or is that just DLC?

I still don't see it. Hope I'm wrong. I was getting married and having kids in those years so I missed out on a lot of H2.
I got the impression 343 was going to handle the maps of Halo 5 this time.

The whole "building the studio so we outsourced" shit won't really fly this time.

Also CA did pretty much all halo 4 maps and dlc besides a handful that 343 did.

Chettlar

Banned
It absolutely did prove that, and it's the chief reason you don't see the SMG in Reach, or the Spiker in the default set of competitive MP weapons. Bungie directly stated these weapons were redundant in H3 and that's why they removed them from Reach.

I still don't see how that means having it in the Halo 2 campaign could hurt it as an option. Apparently options are bad I guess.

Woorloog

Banned
Jeeez. Did you even like Halo CE? You start adding those things in and suddenly you've got a different game altogether. Which, really, begs the question: what's the point in doing a remake in the first place?

Like it? I did like it. Do i still like it? Yes but not as much, and it is dated, in various ways, though many aspects are still good, if not excellent.
Halo CE is not the Halo for me. I'd say closest to that is Halo 2 but its gameplay isn't what makes it the Halo for me. EDIT and most certainly its multiplayer is not what makes it the Halo for me.

Omni

...Why? What's the point?
Because if Halo CEA is anything to go by, it will be called Halo 2: Anniversary. It's not reboot. It's the same game in HD.

And the point? To play one of the greatest games in the last 10 years with new visuals and online coop. That's more than enough reason. Hell, why do you think the 1 million + people bought Halo CEA.

I still don't see how that means having it in the Halo 2 campaign could hurt it as an option. Apparently options are bad I guess.
Your missing the point.

It would be like doing a gears 1 remake and adding the sawn off shotgun. Why? Oh just because options.

People want remakes to be just that, remakes. The main factor that will push people to buy these remakes is nostalgia. Just popping the AR in for no reason fucks that up.

And besides halo 2 doesn't need it. The sandbox is fine for that game just as it was 10 years ago.

nillapuddin

jKxWHgz.png

Omni

How am I being an ass? What has CEA got to do with anything? You're coming off as really, like, annoyed today.

As you can see, per the post above this, the jhferry still doesn't know about what my post was about. The post was meant to inform, nothing more. He just hasn't read it yet, it would appear.
Just the way you wrote it.

Nonetheless. As far as I'm aware, the leak said that Halo 2 Anniversary with multiplayer was coming along with Halo 3 and 4 ports. What it didn't say was whether or not that multiplayer was Halo 2's, or rather a classic mode in Halo 4, à la CEA. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Just the way you wrote it.

Nonetheless. As far as I'm aware, the leak said that Halo 2 Anniversary with multiplayer was coming along with Halo 3 and 4 ports. What it didn't say was whether or not that multiplayer was Halo 2's, or rather a classic mode in Halo 4, à la CEA. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Why wouldnmt it be H2 multipaler? Especially when H4 is suppose to be on xbox one aswell. Seems redundant.

I really can't see halo 3 and halo 4 being posted along with halo 2.

So what, halo 2, 3 and 4 are going to have Multiplayer on xbox one? That would just fragment the hell out of the populations.

If they are all being ported then the most likely situation is halo 2 and 3 "modes" within Halo 4 mp on xbox one.

And if that's the case they can keep it. Ain't getting my money.

I could see Halo 4 being made into Halo 2. We've all agreed how close the game can feel to Halo 2, but things like flinch and perks are holding it back. Maybe 343 is going to port Halo 4 to the Xbox One and "TU" it to remove flinch, while giving us better customization tools.

I can see it happening.

Weapons:
  • BR -- H4 (because H2 has way too much aim assist)
  • Sniper -- H4 (see BR)
  • Beam Rifle -- They both have too much aim assist, but H4 is more demanding when zoomed.
  • Brute Shot vs Concussion Rifle -- Brute Shot was more fun to use, but the Concussion Rifle is better.
  • Carbine -- H4
  • Sword -- H2 (but give it ammo)
  • Grenades -- H4
  • Rockets -- H2 had lock-on, but H4 Rockets are stronger
  • Automatics -- H4
  • Magnum -- H4
  • Plasma Pistol -- H4 (because H2 is cheap and doesn't have EMP)
  • Shotgun -- H4
Vehicles:
  • Warthog -- H4
  • Gauss -- H4
  • Tank -- Hmm..
  • Wraith -- H4
  • Ghost -- H4
  • A Spectre with a turret that shot like the H4 Banshee would be legit.

Weapon tweaks are made.
Descope returns.
Flinch is removed.
Perks fuck the fucking fuck off.
Sprint walks away.
Base movement speed is increased with a better strafe, less aim assist, etc.
Focus the rest of the effort on remaking all the maps.

This would not be as controversial as Reach's Anniversary playlists because CE was obviously a much different game at its core; it's the only game they can't match with simple* setting tweaks.

*For a lack of a better term, but wasn't CE built much differently? Halo 2 could be pulled off given the right changes were made to Halo 4's base settings (which we've seen already from modders), all ported to Xbox One while 343 chips away at Halo 5 (releasing Spring 2015).

Either way,
prepare for disappointment.

Omni

Why wouldnmt it be H2 multipaler? Especially when H4 is suppose to be on xbox one aswell. Seems redundant.
My reasoning is that since projects like this don't pop up out of the blue, as they were developing Halo 4 they were also making sure that it could be easily ported over to next gen.

So logically they would simply remake a few Halo 2 maps in Halo 4, tweak some settings, maybe even expand the sandbox and you've got a version of Halo 2 multiplayer that's very close to the original, but is also open to modifications and has the benefits of 10+ years of coding improvements. This would also eliminate some of the more frustrating exploits in the original game.

I really can't see halo 3 and halo 4 being posted along with halo 2.

So what, halo 2, 3 and 4 are going to have Multiplayer on xbox one? That would just fragment the hell out of the populations.

If they are all being ported then the most likely situation is halo 2 and 3 "modes" within Halo 4 mp on xbox one.

And if that's the case they can keep it. Ain't getting my money.

why would it matter if its fragmented since they are older titles?

My reasoning is that since projects like this don't pop up out of the blue, as they were developing Halo 4 they were also making sure that it could be easily ported over to next gen - Essentially they've got an excellent game engine as a base.

So logically they would simply remake a few Halo 2 maps in Halo 4, tweak some settings, maybe even expand the sandbox and you've got a version of Halo 2 multiplayer that's very close to the original, but is also open to modifications and has the benefits of 10+ years of coding improvements. This would also eliminate some of the more frustrating exploits in the original game.

that doesnt explain the redundancy.

why would it matter if its fragmented since they are older titles?
I don't think it would be much fun to play one of the games a month or two after launch and have difficulty finding a match. The xbox one already has a small enough install base, adding 3 different halo mp games at the same time would be insane.

I probably should've said underpopulated rather than fragmented.

I don't think it would be much fun to play one of the games a month or two after launch and have difficulty finding a match. The xbox one already has a small enough install base, adding 3 different halo mp games at the same time would be insane.

I probably should've said underpopulated rather than fragmented.
people will buy it in time. there should be matches found,even on perfect dark zero i can still find matches.

Omni

CEA released a year later. these are simultaneously.

Well I dunno then.

I would suggest that there's a possibility that 343i would remake Halo 2's multiplayer as close as possible in Halo 4's engine and leave the base Halo 4 multiplayer out of it all... but I don't see them giving up their baby. :p

that would take more time than just using the original,then there is no point to release it.
Well I did write this under the assumption that 343i would want to visually update multiplayer, just like the campaign mode. Obviously if they were just porting exactly as is, then they wouldn't bother

Well I dunno then.

I would suggest that there's a possibility that 343i would remake Halo 2's multiplayer as close as possible in Halo 4's engine and leave the base Halo 4 multiplayer out of it all... but I don't see them giving up their baby. :p
that would take more time than just using the original,then there is no point to release it.

Havoc2049

Certain affinity are rumored to be handling multi. Saber doing campaign.

343 is making halo 5. No resources being wasted.

Halo 2 was the killer app for Xbox live when it launched. Longest run at the top of the live charts ever.

Of course it's going to have Multiplayer.

Halo 2 Anniversary without multiplayer would be a PR disaster for Microsoft...they would be better off to not release it at all.

Yeah, I think no matter what the multiplayer will be kinda basic... like no DLC, not a whole lot of updates, just handful of playlists. It will probably just be sort of a glorified stopgap multiplayer experience before Halo 5 comes out.

nillapuddin

Boost? How did you get the outta my way and hardlight shield assassination? Also, how often does Pitfall actually come up in voting? Been DYING to try it out besides customs, and have yet to see it.

myself and two buddies, few guests. didnt take very long

On heavies "Outlast" comes up pretty often

Pitfall comes up in Ricochet very often

took about 6 matches to get them for myself and a few for them
easy peasey

bright side: all my sub accounts got Pitchin' a tent

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
H2A will have Halo Wars multiplayer.

edit : yall know I'm right so you can't say shit

belushy

Banned
Googled Halo UI and I found a link that went to OT6, after Halo 4's first few gameplay clips and when everyone was freaking out because of the UI. Saw this post from ncsuDuncan:

Halo 5 UI

Mistel

Banned
Googled Halo UI and I found a link that went to OT6, after Halo 4's first few gameplay clips and when everyone was freaking out because of the UI. Saw this post from ncsuDuncan:

Halo 5 UI
Baseball cards everywhere, yuck that is a horrible UI. Why does it look like it's for a tablet not a game.

Mistel

Banned
I went back and read that discussion a page or so back (that I slept through :( ) I understand that the S4's are not like Spartans, but still turning down the dudebro nature of them would make them more likeable. (if that's possible I doubt it)

And Palmer is still unlikable as ever as Caayn said she is like a child and not suitable to be the commander of the S4's. Bring back Kelly as I assume all Spartans were absorbed into the 4 program, she would be a better leader than Palmer ever would.

Duji

I always like reading Josh's tweets.

The biggest incentive to de-rank in Halo 3 was to set yourself as a booster account to help your buddies rank up. Fortunately games with good ranking systems have separate rankings for each team configuration, so Bob losing 50 games in a row by himself to later join up with Fred does nothing to their completely separate team rank. It's the reason why boosting & de-ranking are unheard of in games like League and the same reason Lone Wolves in H3 was the only playlist that didn't have boosting. There's no need to worry about "linear dynamical systems and error surfaces... with a switching model" when the solution is so much simpler. I get the impression that many Halo players think boosting will always exist in every ranking system no matter what even though the problem was fixed years ago. Josh Menke knows whats up.

FyreWulff

Not sure ranks based on your team composition would go over well in Halo, and on console in the first place. People would feel like they're punished for playing with their other friends and not the ones they "got" their ranks with.

It makes sense in League because the high level League is heavily team-composition based. You wouldn't want individual ranks there.

Duji

Not sure ranks based on your team composition would go over well in Halo, and on console in the first place. People would feel like they're punished for playing with their other friends and not the ones they "got" their ranks with.

It makes sense in League because the high level League is heavily team-composition based. You wouldn't want individual ranks there.

I suppose a good compromise would be something like the system Katastrophe (hop down to part VI) is suggesting where the only ranks being considered to calculate your win bonus or loss penalty is your own current rank and the average rank of the other team, as opposed to also considering your teammates' ranks like in H3/H2.

Caayn

You're missing the chain of command, Palmer new Osman gave the order and Lasky didn't like that order and was breaking the chain of command. Palmer acted like a Spartan "robot", followed her orders to the letter and Lasky acted like a human. If you don't like Palmer that's subjective opinion but the writing is actually quite solid in this respect.
As you just said the order wasn't given to Palmer but to Lasky. If Lasky chooses to ignore an order given to him and issues his own than Palmer must follow, it's Lasky's responsibility not Palmer's. Palmer acted out of hatred against Halsey not because of an order, otherwise she would've listened to Lasky, this shows as she gets angry when Majestic tries to save Halsey and how she reacts to Halsey(or even her name) during of SPOPS.

I think Henery knew that. Not so sure about Stormtrooper, though haha

Nope! Totally missed the link as 'Halo 5' UI and assumed it was a pre-release Halo 4 build. I did a stupid. In my defence the Halo 4 beta builds let you spawn with a shotgun so my subconscious allows anything early 2012 H4 related to be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom