• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebula

Nebula your link is banned. Never mind you fixed it.

Um halo having a likable female protagonist?

Issue with Palmer is that they're forcing her into the spotlight. 343 seem to want a character they made to be up front with John when that just isn't going to happen. If a female character was to be likable, she would have to be written in a way that she doesn't take story or time away from John. Oh and not say egghead.

Issue with Palmer is that they're forcing her into the spotlight. 343 seem to want a character they made to be up front with John when that just isn't going to happen. If a female character was to be likable, she would have to be written in a way that she doesn't take story or time away from John. Oh and not say egghead.

To be fair there are some interesting parallels or interplays between John and Palmer e.g. she follows higher up orders and shoots Halsey, this shows how far John has developed as there was a time in his past that he would blindly follow orders like Palmer did. The Cortana "leave this planet" bit reinforces that he's beyond just blindly following orders these days.

It's not all baaad with Palmer.

EDIT: Speaking of female characters....

isIr6C5.jpg

Caayn

To be fair there are some interesting parallels or interplays between John and Palmer e.g. she follows higher up orders and shoots Halsey, this shows how far John has developed as there was a time in his past that he would blindly follow orders like Palmer did. The Cortana "leave this planet" bit reinforces that he's beyond just blindly following orders these days.

The thing is that Palmer acts like a child, not like a Spartan. She ignored a direct order from Lasky ordering her to stand down, Lasky outranks her by one rank. She got mad when Majestic tried to save Halsey and desperately tried to shoot her, working against her fellow Spartans. Is rude to anyone who isn't a Spartan, eggheads eggheads etc. Shoots before thinking. Damages UNSC equipment because she can't control her rage. And the list goes on and on.

She doesn't feel like a Spartan at all. But then again neither do any of the Spartan IVs. (imo)

Ghazi

oh I just remembered, since I'm on Twitter now, I need to follow Jen Taylor, brb.

lol. Well, I could see them doing H2A with full MP remake. They need a Halo MP title to sell xbones, and the game was already designed with Live in mind.

GrizzNKev

Banned
The thing is that Palmer acts like a child, not like a Spartan. She ignored a direct order from Lasky ordering her to stand down, Lasky outranks her by one rank. She got mad when Majestic tried to save Halsey and desperately tried to shoot her, working against her fellow Spartans. Is rude to anyone who isn't a Spartan, eggheads eggheads etc. Shoots before thinking. Damages UNSC equipment because she can't control her rage. And the list goes on and on.

She doesn't feel like a Spartan at all. But then again neither do any of the Spartan IVs. (imo)

They all act like regular, asshole, off the street people who happen to be wearing power suits. The armor doesn't make the Spartan. It's intentional, but it's poorly done and not enjoyable in the least.

El_Chino

isIr6C5.jpg
Oh boy. The more hints are being thrown at us the more I feel certain of it.

daedalius

isIr6C5.jpg

Didact obviously kept a copy of the 'evolved ancilla' (I think that's what he called it), probably fixed it with his mad forerunner tech.

Also, excite :)

Ghazi

She was the last to know that they truly killed her character off for good? That she's fired?

wtzgU.gif

Find out next time, in Haloz (Starring Beyonce as Cortana) 5

I'd definitely argue that Cortana is tied a main character. Miranda played a huge role in the original trilogy, and Kat was probably the most important member of Noble Team.
Free Dictionary :
"The main character in a drama or other literary work."
the principal character in a play, story, etc
the principal character in the drama

Etymology, based on Greek origin of the word :
one who plays the first part, chief actor

But I can give you Cortana as a protagonist sure. The other two, no, sorry.
"Kat was probably the most important member of Noble Team." Debatable, if not laughable, and so far from being protagonist you're practically grasping at straws.

If they can make XBL campaign co-op work, and I can play multiplayer online that's all I want. Anything else on top of that for H2A is a bonus.

Fuchsdh

Free Dictionary :

Etymology, based on Greek origin of the word :

But I can give you Cortana as a protagonist sure. The other two, no, sorry.
"Kat was probably the most important member of Noble Team." Debatable, if not laughable, and so far from being protagonist you're practically grasping at straws.

Cortana is a duetagonist, sure. But Chief is and has been the protagonist. You can only have one.

You're missing the chain of command, Palmer new Osman gave the order and Lasky didn't like that order and was breaking the chain of command. Palmer acted like a Spartan "robot", followed her orders to the letter and Lasky acted like a human. If you don't like Palmer that's subjective opinion but the writing is actually quite solid in this respect.

They all act like regular, asshole, off the street people who happen to be wearing power suits. The armor doesn't make the Spartan. It's intentional, but it's poorly done and not enjoyable in the least.

Too right, again it's by design, the SIV's don't come from the best genetic matches and raising/training etc, they're from the ODST pools of regular enlisted folks who are already grown up dudebros etc. It wasn't to my personal liking as I prefer John & blue team over them but again the writing here was really quite solid, it even gave rise to Halsey's comments about Thorne being closer to Spartan material than the others. Further if you read the books and established lore about ODST behaviour it all fits in very well indeed.

Wu sent me this awhile back, make it happen

http://i.imgur.com/4Nwbjrh.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

What is that from? A community mod or a 343i beta build?

Chettlar

Banned
There were skulls in Halo 2 that had to be found.

I know. I'm saying they shouldn't get rid of them when redoing the activation thing. Like, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Basically have it work exactly the same as 3 and CEA. Just trying to be thorough so there's not misunderstanding.

When you say musts, would you buy it without these?
It would be nice, if when they announce it, it isn't a drip feed. We know what Halo 2 is, don't tease us with the important details over 5 months.

I realise that's an "unfair" ask of something that has to be marketed in the traditional manner, but it's a pet peeve.

I said pretty much musts, meaning I very heavily want them. If one or two is missing, I'll still probably try to get my hands on it. If all are missing, then I might wait a while.

Chettlar

Banned
Seriously some of you guys seem to forget this is a remake not a fullfledged new release, adding completely new modes to it isn't that easy.

Again, ntkrnl said they are doing all kinds of stuff to it. I don't think Microsoft is taking this release lightly. Both ntkrnl and Famousmortimer said that MS is taking a very different approach to this game than CEA. So therefore this:

Given my assumptions are based of the though that H2A is like Halo CEA a graphic layer on top of the old code and maybe a redone multiplayer.

would not be true, since you can't base your assumptions off of CEA anymore.

Also:

No. Just no.

This is what I asked earlier:

Why not the Assault rifle in campaign? Definitely NOT put it in multiplayer as that would ruin the balance, etc. But giving it an appearance as something you can pick up every once in a while in campaign would be cool. Completely optional for those people who do like it. Dying in co-op will result in you starting with whatever you normally restart with in Halo 2. Basically Assault Rifle in Halo 2's campaign would be just as optional as the SMG is in Halo 3's campaign.

It's just an optional thing for people who were flabbergasted that it wasn't there for a sequel.

All of those requests are unreasonable.

Care to elaborate in light my last couple posts?

kirkusrex

Neo Member
oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-harder.jpg

Nostalgia is powerful, but "millions"? You cannot be serious. CEA did pretty well and I believe it just touched the million mark. Pretty sure the best H2A could hope for, given the Xbone's smaller install base at the potential time of release, would be to hit CEA numbers - I doubt it would though.

Right now you are essentially saying a Halo 2 multiplayer update/remaster is gonna "save" Halo. Millions of sales. Never going to happen.

H2A Predictions:

Theatre: Nope
Screenshots/Clips/Streaming/Movies: Nope
Kinect: Yup
SmartGlass: Yup
Skulls: Yup
"Original" Multiplayer: Nope
Online Co-Op: Yup
Halo 4 Multiplayer Remakes of Halo 2 levels: Yup
New Achievements: Yup

(long-time lurker, first time poster) I agree generally with this assessment. My take is that a dedicated MP is more likely due to being the first Halo game on XB1, but the temptation to reuse an MP engine/system that's already built will be...high. The difference between building an entirely new MP system and rebuilding the Halo 2 system would be negligible, and both would cost way more than re-using the old system.

Basically, be pessimistic on this so you can be pleasantly surprised if they exceed expectations.

To be fair, they did have Halsey remark on that in Spartan Ops, and it makes perfect sense for Spartan IVs to be more "human" since they weren't trained to be killing machines since they were little kinds.

But otherwise, Palmer is just the shining example of 343i trying to do something with a character (Smartassery!) and taking it too far (Being a bitch!).

Fuchsdh

Another 100%.
tVBJHQD.png

CEA was a pretty fun and easy one to go through. Wish they'd been a little more adventurous with skull locations and achievements per missions though.

(On the other hand, CE's been covered so much it would be hard to hide one without making a placement feel "cheap" by doing something like requiring a warthog jump, etc. But maybe hiding one more like they did Bandanna would have been cool.)

Speaking of which, it would be sort of cool as a "remastered" feature for a possible H2A if the skulls were hidden in a different place so you had to hunt for them again.

Ghazi

CEA was a pretty fun and easy one to go through. Wish they'd been a little more adventurous with skull locations and achievements per missions though.

(On the other hand, CE's been covered so much it would be hard to hide one without making a placement feel "cheap" by doing something like requiring a warthog jump, etc. But maybe hiding one more like they did Bandanna would have been cool.)

Speaking of which, it would be sort of cool as a "remastered" feature for a possible H2A if the skulls were hidden in a different place so you had to hunt for them again.

Yes please.

Karl2177

How many have you 100%ed?
3 games. CEA, H2:V, Reach. Have 1 achievement left in ODST, 4 achievements in 3. A bunch that I'm never going to get in Halo 4. A bunch that I'm never going to get in Wars. And all of the Spartan Assault achievements.
Legendary was really cheapened with the infinity ammo and exploding grunt skulls, IMO
The Library is such a chore that I wouldn't have bothered with it had it not been for the infinite ammo skull.
Congrata Karl!

I should get back to finishing the achievements for CE.
Thanks!

Honestly the hardest two achievements in there were the Library with no deaths and the "Tying Up Loose Ends". I just wanted the last achievement to be the Legendary complete one. As for the H2A, ehhhhh, fine. I guess.

Fuchsdh

Honestly the hardest two achievements in there were the Library with no deaths and the "Tying Up Loose Ends". I just wanted the last achievement to be the Legendary complete one. As for the H2A, ehhhhh, fine. I guess.

The Library one I kept screwing myself over because I went grenade happy and forgot how CE grenades go boom very easily. I turned off bandanna and got it first try (helps that you've got a killer pistol, shotgun, and they basically make it easy to never have to switch weapons at that point and any time after.)

In terms of campaign achievements over all the games, I think ODST's were best, but I did appreciate how open-ended the metagame score ones in Halo 3 were--you could mix and match the skulls to bump up the difficulty you needed for the multipliers your way, or you could just try speedrunning it for the time bonus.

Madness

Trying to do repeat survivor myself. But idiots keep driving my rocket hog away when I specifically position it in a way I can get Splasered and move on. I tried to get the assassination of hardlight shield myself, but I gave it to like 50 people back in the DLC playlist, no one reciprocated. We have enough guys, we can probably just boost all of them one day lol

Fuchsdh

Trying to do repeat survivor myself. But idiots keep driving my rocket hog away when I specifically position it in a way I can get Splasered and move on. I tried to get the assassination of hardlight shield myself, but I gave it to like 50 people back in the DLC playlist, no one reciprocated. We have enough guys, we can probably just boost all of them one day lol

Join Trueachievements, start a lobby, get them out of the way in an hour of playtime.

Assault rifle in halo 2 campaign? Ehhh fuck that.

I've 100% in halo 3, odst, wars, CEA, and the only reach achievement I need is the assassination of someone coming out of armour lock.

Never got the recent halo 4 dlc so forget those achievements

Karl2177

As part of an achievement article I started a while back, I started on this and finished it up a few hours ago.

xLXxHgV.png

Is there anything else I should include?

Madness

Join Trueachievements, start a lobby, get them out of the way in an hour of playtime.

Seems too complicated getting it all organized. Just got the repeat survivor one in a game of heavies king of the hill Ragnarok. Hill was right near base, easy to just go into next vehicle, let it get destroyed. Most of the ones I need are majestic as it is. Have almost all castle save for shield assassination. Not too worried, all I hated was the recent odd number one.

Chettlar

Banned

Yes please.

What? Guys, just add new ones. There's a ton of things you could do with new skulls, like a third person view skull (always wanted one of those), etc.

Woorloog

Banned
I liked the lone wolf unexpected level at the end.
It was a good way to die.

What a wasteful and stupid way to die. A single Spartan, especially Noble Six ("hyper lethal") could have done something useful, instead of staying in one place merely fighting until death. One-Spartan guerrilla campaign can't be outside of Noble Six's skill-set. Or perhaps he could have stolen a Phantom and crashed it to a Covenant cruiser or something like that.

Mix

Oh, is this what we're doing right now? Okay...
Mix's Halo 2 Anniversary wishlist:
Skulls
Observing in Multiplayer
Untouched Multiplayer
ALL Maps, including DLC (Not Vista maps, though, those suck)
4 player co-op
Halo 5 beta access (It would be cool, but not a deal breaker)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom