• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
With all of this Halo 2 talk I reinstalled Halo 2 Vista last night and played. Still fun, other than the cheaters.

nillapuddin

yeah i literally posted exactly what I did last night, but its cool
Nowise going ONI spook on me to see how I cheated
jk

With all of this Halo 2 talk I reinstalled Halo 2 Vista last night and played. Still fun, other than the cheaters.

I was JUST gunna do the same thing, which reminds me, how do we feel about my getting these?

9Hd1jNF.png

Rainman and Violent Cartographer seem like they take alot of effort/planning

Remember to use DSfix if you want to play with KB+M and unlock FPS.

Im reinstalling on 8.1 today when I get home from work, I have your tips bookmarked for DSfix, will I have any troubles elsewhere?

Omni

I was JUST gunna do the same thing, which reminds me, how do we feel about my getting these?

9Hd1jNF.png

Rainman and Violent Cartographer seem like they take alot of effort/planning
I remember we all got a lobby going last year and boosted those achievements. Haha. Not that we needed to though (there were lots of Rainman/Violent Cartog servers running)

Plus are we going to have a game night before it gets shut off [again]?

Heart's in the right place on these achievements. Better to promote not quitting than to reward GS for AFKing for 90 seconds.

Ideal would be something like 'Complete 100 MM games in a row without quitting' and have an idler/rubber bander detection system that boots the aforementioned.

That would have potential to be the most frustrating achievement ever. Even with dedicated servers, I think you'd be pushing it to assume that in a 100 games a player isn't going to be dropped once.

Very good point. Maybe 5 games to completion on each map but then you'd get full parties bossing the map vote for whatever one's they haven't fulfilled (a minor inconvenience). Still, I really hope to see a fresh approach to achievement metrics on the Xbox One. Move away from encouraging terrible gameplay influencing behaviours and move toward promoting positive, non-gameplay specific habits.

Omni

Hearts in the right place on these achievements. Better to promote not quitting than to reward GS for AFKing for 90 seconds.

Ideal would be something like 'Complete 100 MM games in a row without quitting' and have an idler/rubber bander detection system that boots the aforementioned.

That would have potential to be the most frustrating achievement ever. Even with dedicated servers, I think you'd be pushing it to assume that in a 100 games a player isn't going to be dropped once.

Mistel

Banned
How about just completing a 100 games as an achievement? l mean it's not a large amount of games but still it is better than afking for a minute.

Mistel

Banned
How about not having a single matchmaking achievement?
Have everything achievable via single-player and local-coop at least.
That would work if the campaign wad big enough and had more to explore, then skulls, audio logs and terminals etc. Would be worth going off and looking for in the levels.

Four didn't have any fun easter eggs like reach did.

Off topic but I just saw tangled for the first time, it was great, I really liked the story.

Woorloog

Banned
That would work if the campaign wad big enough and had more to explore, then skulls, audio logs and terminals etc. Would be worth going off and looking for in the levels.

Four didn't have any fun easter eggs like reach did.

I don't care if there's stuff to explore or not, all i care is that no achievement should be locked to MP only (ignoring MP-only games). Either make achievements sort of general-achievements that can be achieved anywhere, or keep them SP/co-op (if local co-op is a possibility) only.
And most especially don't make crap like 2 for 1 (too much luck required) or map-specific achievements (two kills from grave on Orbital, WTF?). EDIT i actually have gotten 2 for 1 thrice, but each time i gained it with luck...

H2A Predictions:

Theatre: Nope
Screenshots/Clips/Streaming/Movies: Nope
Kinect: Yup
SmartGlass: Yup
Skulls: Yup
"Original" Multiplayer: Nope
Online Co-Op: Yup
Halo 4 Multiplayer Remakes of Halo 2 levels: Yup
New Achievements: Yup
Pretty much what I'm expecting. As much as I'd like to have Halo 2's maps back again, I feel like 343 is going to stick with promoting Halo 4's multiplayer until the next game, rather than try and support 2 different titles (they've apparently abandoned Reach and Halo 3, so it's not a leap in judgement to make). Maybe it will be a big overhaul with every map 'ported over in a "Halo 2 Playlist" with some special gametypes (RIP Bomb) and the PC maps will be included as well, since Halo 4 seems to be suited to larger maps.

Hoping for the best, expecting far less.

Omni

Off topic but I just saw tangled for the first time, it was great, I really liked the story.
Tangled? I have bad, bad memories about that movie which involve being pressured into a date to see it, only to find out afterwards that she's gay and was trying to use me to convince herself otherwise. My 17 year old heart couldn't handle it

Was pleasantly surprised how good it was though

Fotos

Tangled? I have bad, bad memories about that movie which involve being pressured into a date to see it, only to find out afterwards that she's gay and was trying to use me to convince herself otherwise. My 17 year old heart couldn't handle it

Woah what.

Ghazi

I remember when I was 17 *sigh*

Omni

Woah what.
Crazy times. :lol
I remember when I was 17 *sigh*
Me too. Man, these last four years have just flown by

And most especially don't make crap like 2 for 1 (too much luck required) or map-specific achievements (two kills from grave on Orbital, WTF?). EDIT i actually have gotten 2 for 1 thrice, but each time i gained it with luck...
THAT WAS JUST THE WORST

I raged to hard trying to get that stupid achievement. And that even worse Mongoose Mowdown one (yellow bar Australian internet made it impossible)

Mistel

Banned

How does the quote have Woorloog name when it's from my post? Maybe it was for the best though, not being truthful to yourself in the hope that you're wrong is a soul crushing experience, it certainly was for me. But Tangled was much more enjoyable than the other Disney princess movies. I'm still 17. (I'm younger than speedy I think)
I don't care if there's stuff to explore or not, all i care is that no achievement should be locked to MP only (ignoring MP-only games). Either make achievements sort of general-achievements that can be achieved anywhere, or keep them SP/co-op (if local co-op is a possibility) only.
Making all achievements be able to completed in single player wouldn't hurt. Especially if it reduces the amount of crap achievements i'm all for it. Map or map pack specific achievements are the bane of my existence, I've got barely any of them in 4.

CyReN

There's no way they put anymore time into Halo 4, that ships been sailed. They have to do multiplayer, H2A it won't take away from Halo 5 release or split the community. Halo really has no "game" at the moment, it's just kinda there like the Sonic series now.

Another thing is that Halo 3 released for free and that died within a few months so I can't see them being that worried with a 10 year old game. It's a nerdgasm for us but I'm not sure how it will be for new players or casuals of the series.

ElRenoRaven

You're missing the chain of command, Palmer new Osman gave the order and Lasky didn't like that order and was breaking the chain of command. Palmer acted like a Spartan "robot", followed her orders to the letter and Lasky acted like a human. If you don't like Palmer that's subjective opinion but the writing is actually quite solid in this respect.

Too right, again it's by design, the SIV's don't come from the best genetic matches and raising/training etc, they're from the ODST pools of regular enlisted folks who are already grown up dudebros etc. It wasn't to my personal liking as I prefer John & blue team over them but again the writing here was really quite solid, it even gave rise to Halsey's comments about Thorne being closer to Spartan material than the others. Further if you read the books and established lore about ODST behaviour it all fits in very well indeed.

What is that from? A community mod or a 343i beta build?

Yea I do think the Spartan 4's were designed to be annoying like this. They're supposed to be ODSTs. In the past games and even books they were the craziest of the crazy and usually kind of dudebro. I also think it was intentional so they could highlight Thorne and make him stand out. Hence like you said the Halsey remark etc. It's also why out of all of them I actually liked him.

Yea I do think the Spartan 4's were designed to be annoying like this. They're supposed to be ODSTs. In the past games and even books they were the craziest of the crazy and usually kind of dudebro. I also think it was intentional so they could highlight Thorne and make him stand out. Hence like you said the Halsey remark etc. It's also why out of all of them I actually liked him.
It was a weird gamble to make the Spartan IV's so unlikable. On one hand I can see if they're eventually going to be the 'bad guys' in later iterations of the game, antagonists to Chief's motivation to acquire Halsey to help find Cortana, or to make a more of an impact when they turn against the UNSC to help Chief and Halsey, or whatever the story ends up being. On the other hand, having them play such a prominent role as-is in Spartan Ops, another gamble against the relatively successful Firefight in Reach, is a top 5 reason in my grocery list of the problems I had with the mode.

I wish there were more context to the decisions 343 has made with the story thus far, but obviously they're not going to spill future storylines. It just sucks because I really wanted a strong, engaging story right out of the gate from them, but I have a difficult time not fixating on bad caricatures like Palmer and poorly written villains like Didact.

Caayn

Whooaa I thought that I was the youngest around here. Seems like I'm 4 years too old for that.

Just completed the 360 version of SA, still waiting on 343i to fix the achievements of the Xbox One version so I have all Halo games at 100% again.
I broke the counter on waypoint :p I actually have a total of 11520GS and 531 achievements in Halo games in total.

NEW YORK, February 4, 2014—Gallery Books and 343 Industries are pleased to announce a multi-year co-publishing program based on the award-winning and phenomenally popular video game franchise Halo. Already a massive New York Times bestselling series, all-new canonical tales in the Halo expanded universe will be published across the Gallery Books, Pocket Books, and Pocket Star imprints in a variety of print and digital formats.

Frank O’Connor, Franchise Development Director of 343 Industries said, “We’ve had the luxury of working with amazing novelists and publishing partners in the past – and we’re excited to continue that tradition and growth with the announcement of our new novel publishing partner, Gallery Books – and we can’t wait to share the worlds and wonders we’ll build together.”

“We are thrilled to be working with 343 Industries and Microsoft on these upcoming Halo books,” said Louise Burke, President of Gallery Books. “It’s a phenomenal brand that continues to grow and we look forward to continuing the ascent with them.”

Ed Schlesinger, Senior Editor at Gallery Books, and Jennifer Bergstrom, Publisher of Gallery Books, negotiated the licensing partnership directly with Halo Consumer Products at 343 Industries. The first publication is scheduled for release in Fall 2014.

ABOUT GALLERY BOOKS: Gallery Books is an imprint dedicated to publishing a variety of must-read books on a wide array of topics. Launched in February 2010, Gallery is designed to showcase established voices and to introduce emerging new ones—in both fiction and nonfiction genres. Some of Gallery Books’ bestselling titles include Tim Gunn’s Fashion Bible by Tim Gunn, Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me Chelsea by Chelsea Handler, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, Love Anthony by Lisa Genova, Mrs. Kennedy and Me by Clint Hill, and The Untold History of the United States by Oliver Stone and Peter Kuznick.

ABOUT SIMON & SCHUSTER: Simon & Schuster, a part of CBS Corporation, is a global leader in the field of general interest publishing, dedicated to providing the best in fiction and nonfiction for consumers of all ages, across all printed, electronic, and audio formats. Its divisions include Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing, Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, Simon & Schuster Audio, Simon & Schuster Digital, and international companies in Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit our website at www.simonandschuster.com.
https://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Head...on-Publishing-Program-For-Halo-Franchise.aspx

I hope 343i got Greg Bear again. Silentium and Cryptum were so good.

inb4 someone says nylund should be back.

Omni

https://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Head...on-Publishing-Program-For-Halo-Franchise.aspx

I hope 343i got Greg Bear again. Silentium and Cryptum were so good.

inb4 someone says nylund should be back.
At this point, I just hope they leave Traviss behind. I bought Mortal Dictata and I have absolutely no motivation to read it. and this is from a guy that read each of Greg Bear's books non-stop on the day they were released.

Anyway. A new book in 2014? Interesting. I wasn't expecting one so soon

Fuchsdh

It was a weird gamble to make the Spartan IV's so unlikable. On one hand I can see if they're eventually going to be the 'bad guys' in later iterations of the game, antagonists to Chief's motivation to acquire Halsey to help find Cortana, or to make a more of an impact when they turn against the UNSC to help Chief and Halsey, or whatever the story ends up being. On the other hand, having them play such a prominent role as-is in Spartan Ops, another gamble against the relatively successful Firefight in Reach, is a top 5 reason in my grocery list of the problems I had with the mode.

I wish there were more context to the decisions 343 has made with the story thus far, but obviously they're not going to spill future storylines. It just sucks because I really wanted a strong, engaging story right out of the gate from them, but I have a difficult time not fixating on bad caricatures like Palmer and poorly written villains like Didact.

Yeah I hate getting into argument about this, because it's pretty clear what the intent was—and 343 succeeded, in that regard. But without seeing the endgame of where they're going with the increasingly amoral UNSC, it does seem odd to antagonize players.

I think it might be more an issue of failing to give us enough time to identify with Thorne and Lasky, who are the "good" guys in all this.

At this point, I just hope they leave Traviss behind. I bought Mortal Dictata and I have absolutely no motivation to read it. and this is from a guy that read each of Greg Bear's books non-stop on the day they were released.

Anyway. A new book in 2014? Interesting. I wasn't expecting one so soon

inb4SlightlyLive bitching that you dont want to read Mortal Dictata.

Why are people saying Halo 2A's MP will be maps for Halo 4? How the hell would that even work?

I buy the new Halo for Xbox One, but wait, in order to play MP i need a separate console?

FyreWulff

Why are people saying Halo 2A's MP will be maps for Halo 4? How the hell would that even work?

I buy the new Halo for Xbox One, but wait, in order to play MP i need a separate console?

The rumor right now is Halo 4 being ported at the same time, along with Halo 3.

If the rumor was true, I wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out that Halo 2 and 3 were just campaign, and Halo 4 One had maps ported from 2 and 3 in it.

Omni

Hah.

I mean admittedly... I did enjoy Glasslands. Well, the parts with Lucy on the shield world and a few bits and pieces from the Elite's point of view. So I can definitely see the appeal in her writing... but her overall story arc has destroyed any excitement I could have towards her writing more

The rumor right now is Halo 4 being ported at the same time, along with Halo 3.

If the rumor was true, I wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out that Halo 2 and 3 were just campaign, and Halo 4 One had maps ported from 2 and 3 in it.

Ugh, i really hope that's not the case.

When will they learn people want MP remade more than campaigns that we can all still play on our 360s?

Nebula

Killtastrophe in a Wraith in my first heavies game. :)

Also if H2A ships without multiplayer, 343 and Microsoft will lose out on an Xbox One purchase and a purchase of H2A. Simple as that for me.

Ugh, i really hope that's not the case.

When will they learn people want MP remade more than campaigns that we can all still play on our 360s?
Halo 4 can be made to play like a superior Halo 2 (what Halo 3 should've been) if they make the right changes.

Have any of you guys played Halo 2 lately? Been playing on Vista the past couple of days and I forgot just how much aim assist there was in that game; it pretty much does everything for you. On big maps, it's a pain to move around because of how slow you walk, so faster movement speed would definitely be welcome, along with several additions from later Halo games (ie: Plasma Pistol EMP because if I get a Gauss Hog in Halo 2, it's over for you).

Before anyone mentions it again, Reach's Anniversary playlists aren't a good counter example because CE is nothing like later games, whereas Halo 4 can be made a lot closer to Halo 2.

Trey

I hated Mortal Dictata at first.

Then I considered what Traviss was trying to do with the story, and I extracted some sort of appreciation for the K5 trilogy. It's largely a meandering, pale story with hypocritical (perhaps that was the point), corny characters. The money shot at the end of the book was actually provocative, but it was not because of the many many pages that came before. Would've been better as a short story.

Kilo-Five Trilogy is exactly what it's always been: a hyper critical look at the Spartan II program and character assassination of Catherine Halsey. It is not balanced, it is not rational. It's emotionally manipulative and raw. Which is a new look for the franchise, but one that probably won't connect with most Halo fans, hence the backlash. For me, it justifies its existence for its unique perspective, and that it telegraphs how 343 is probably going to try to handle Chief's epiphany with his humanity.

I hated Mortal Dictata at first.

Then I considered what Traviss was trying to do with the story, and I extracted some sort of appreciation for the K5 trilogy. It's largely a meandering, pale story with hypocritical (perhaps that was the point), corny characters. The money shot at the end of the book was actually provocative, but it was not because of the many many pages that came before. Would've been better as a short story.

Kilo-Five Trilogy is exactly what it's always been: a hyper critical look at the Spartan II program and character assassination of Catherine Halsey. It is not balanced, it is not rational. It's emotionally manipulative and raw. Which is a new look for the franchise, but one that probably won't connect with most Halo fans, hence the backlash.

its 343 taking the story in a "as far from bungie as we can". it seems that 343 cannot stand that they have an established universe so they need to do all this to make it "theirs".

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
its 343 taking the story in a "as far from bungie as we can". it seems that 343 cannot stand that they have an established universe so they need to do all this to make it "theirs".
That's a real one dimensional way of looking at it.

Mistel

Banned
Killtastrophe in a Wraith in my first heavies game. :)

Also if H2A ships without multiplayer, 343 and Microsoft will lose out on an Xbox One purchase and a purchase of H2A. Simple as that for me.
I'm going to play soon mind if I join in? I wan't to make those clips first though so I don't loose the film.

Chettlar

Banned
Just the way you wrote it.

Nonetheless. As far as I'm aware, the leak said that Halo 2 Anniversary with multiplayer was coming along with Halo 3 and 4 ports. What it didn't say was whether or not that multiplayer was Halo 2's, or rather a classic mode in Halo 4, à la CEA. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Here we go, links n all:

jem0208 said:

ntkrnl said:

See? Good news, breh!

That's a real one dimensional way of looking at it.

i only say it because of ALL of the changes to the franchise that 343 has signed off on. not just the K5 trilogy. but forcing Palmer on us, the terrible art in the new comics and Halo 4 in general. it honestly seems that they are doing all of this because they want all of these changes to distance themselves from their Progenitors.

thats why i say that.

Googled Halo UI and I found a link that went to OT6, after Halo 4's first few gameplay clips and when everyone was freaking out because of the UI. Saw this post from ncsuDuncan:

Halo 5 UI

You got me. I'm CBOAT.

Exclusive: Halo 5 will be a "visceral experience" with lots of "new shit" and "cloud turboencabulation".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom