• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
i only say it because of ALL of the changes to the franchise that 343 has signed off on. not just the K5 trilogy. but forcing Palmer on us, the terrible art in the new comics and Halo 4 in general. it honestly seems that they are doing all of this because they want all of these changes to distance themselves from their Progenitors.

thats why i say that.

Even small details are changed like the motion tracker and fonts.

343412.png
Halo-3-PC.jpg

bugsjpg.png

Chettlar

Banned

Wow, I guess I never really paid attention to how different the banshee looks. Not sure if I like that. :/

He can tell you. He might even be telling the truth. :p

Hey welcome to the forum! Noticed I hadn't seen you post before, and looked at your post history.

Have a look at these:

http://halogaf.com/juniors/

http://halogaf.com/survey/

(Second one is a survey to let us get to know a bit more about you).

...which reminds me of something I haven't done yet. Hold on. :p

Caayn

That's a real one dimensional way of looking at it.
It feels like 343i is pushing their own characters forcefully while they're slowly chipping away at the existing ones made by Bungie. Halsey is a prime example of this. Karen Traviss went overboard in the K5 trilogy in trying to show us the other side of the Spartan II story. Resulting in illogical, dumb and cringe worthy things such BB saying things as "Halseyed" and "Halseyism" for example.
I can understand that the characters in K5 and H4 don't like Halsey, but it's portrayed as blind hatred against a woman who practically saved humanity. There's no logic anywhere in their thoughts when Halsey is named, not even in BB's who's supposed to be an AI, it's instantly into blind rage mode.

Change for the sake change, imo. If 343i wanted to create their own cast/universe/story/etc they shouldn't have taken the roll of the caretakers(as they like to call it) of Halo upon themselves, imo.
I can't read most of that 4 font why change it from the previous font that was clear and easy to read?
Change for the sake of change.

Trey

It feels like 343i is pushing their own characters forcefully while they're slowly chipping away at the existing ones made by Bungie. Halsey is a prime example of this. Karen Traviss went overboard in the K5 trilogy in trying to show us the other side of the Spartan II story. Resulting in illogical, dumb and cringe worthy things such BB saying things as "Halseyed" and "Halseyism" for example.
I can understand that the characters in K5 and H4 don't like Halsey, but it's portrayed as blind hatred against a woman who practically saved humanity. There's no logic anywhere in their thoughts when Halsey is named, not even in BB's who's supposed to be an AI, it's instantly into blind rage mode.

Change for the sake change, imo. If 343i wanted to create their own cast/universe/story/etc they shouldn't have taken the roll of the caretakers(as they like to call it) of Halo upon themselves, imo.

While I agree that the execution has been questionable, 343 is pursuing the most "reasonable" post trilogy story direction. Questioning the ethics of the SII program is a no brainer, and ONI reaching its final form was a long time coming.

All of that is preferable, to me, than trying to make whole new characters and storylines in the Halo universe. Chief, Cortana and Halsey are the main driving forces of the entire fiction.

Chettlar

Banned
The banshee actually looks decent, i thought the ghost looked too dark and should have been lighter like this banshee.

Yeah, it's ok. The ghost is definitely too dark. It's almost an indigo color, which I don't like for the ghost.

Why does 343 seem to hate purple and pink? Even the banshee really isn't all that purple. More wine colored.

Caayn

While I agree that the execution has been questionable, 343 is pursuing the most "reasonable" post trilogy story direction. Questioning the ethics of the SII program is a no brainer, and ONI reaching its final form was a long time coming.

All of that is preferable, to me, than trying to make whole new characters and storylines in the Halo universe. Chief, Cortana and Halsey are the main driving forces of the entire fiction.
I agree, it's just that they went way overboard with it. That's what I was trying to point out ;)

Yeah, it's ok. The ghost is definitely too dark. It's almost an indigo color, which I don't like for the ghost.

Why does 343 seem to hate purple and pink? Even the banshee really isn't all that purple. More wine colored.
Probably trying make the designs seem more "mature" and less toy-like for COD bros. I kinda like where the Covenant vehicle designs have been taken since Halo 3 though, especially the Banshee.

Chettlar

Banned
Here's my survey all filled out. Sorry I took forever to do it. Now, nobody'll read it. Oh well.

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?

1. Since January 8th of this year (2014)
2. Regularly for the last two years. Off and on for a few years before that.

How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)

18 in a couple months. The U.S. I'll talk about what state I'm from if it becomes relevant.

How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?

I've always been a PC gamer growing up, but about four years ago (can't remember exactly, CEA had just come out) I played the first few levels of Halo CE, and fell in love with it and Halo in general immediately. Halo is so different than other games. It gets things right. It's one of the few games I can just play with a stupid grin on my face.

I have not completed ODST, 2, or 4, though I have played a considerable amount of 4. I've played Reach, CE, and 3 dozens of times each, and they never fail to get better each time.

Why? Because I'm poor as dirt.

What mode do you spend most of your time in?

Campaign easily, but I love a good multiplayer game when I can get my hands on a XBL gold trial. Playing some Halo PC multiplayer and even with a fairly small player base currently, I'm having a blast.

What is your favorite playlist?

I pretty much don't care. I'm loving the 8 v 8 battles in CE right now. Average just "Team Slayer" is great fun in 3. Swords only is great. Capture the Flag is great, and probably gives me the best "rush" feeling. Idk, I like all of them.

Probably my favorite playlists are the ones that mix them up all the time. Straight slayer all the time can get tiring without something else to do, which is (partially) why I hate voting, because people always choose slayer instead of more interesting games. Like I say, I don't mind slayer, but I like a good variance every once in a while. The veto system usually handles that well.

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)

I adore Viva Pinata, and a great number XBL Indy games. I am absolutely obsessed with game design -- how they work, and how that relates to how human brains work --, and games that have good game design fascinate me to no end, which is part of why I love Halo.

I write music, love coming up with stories and things. Ideas, especially as pertain to art and just general creativity, are the perfect playgrounds for me. I also kind of really like steam punk, if you couldn't tell by the optimus-prime-as-a-train avatar. I would draw if I could, but childhood brain injuries have severally damaged my hand/eye coordination. The only reason I can hold my own in video games pretty well is because I brute force through it. It's a pain, and frustrating that I can't always draw things to illustrate stuff I mean, but I manage.

It's because I love music, art, stories, game design, and video games themselves, because I love to ask why those things work, how they work, that I would love to make video games some day.

Nebula

The betrayals my god. My dumbass team mate trying to hop in my turret while I'm firing mortars.

Sorry for hitting you as well Storm. There was a Laser guy above you.

Mistel

Banned
The betrayals my god. My dumbass team mate trying to hop in my turret while I'm firing mortars.

Sorry for hitting you as well Storm. There was a Laser guy above you.
I know that I was trying to kill him I just stole an AR off of the red I killed, OMG a DLC maps just came up.

343 is secretly in bed with Big Eyeglasses to make you suffer and spend more money.
Well if that was their aim they certainly succeed in making me suffer.

Chettlar

Banned
Probably trying make the designs seem more "mature" and less toy-like for COD bros. I kinda like where the Covenant vehicle designs have been taken since Halo 3 though, especially the Banshee.

Main issue I have with the banshee is the separated wings make it look less Covenant-y and more Forefunner-y.

Halo in the past did a good job of making all factions look distinct, and yet in a way that complimented each other. Halo 4 kind of blended them, and not in a good way. Good looking game, but they need to make each faction look more distinct.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There are dozens of influences behind each and every one of 343's decisions. Yes, sometimes the changes feel pointless. Sometimes the changes feel like they're trying to fix something that wasn't broken. Sometimes the changes feel like they're trying to set themselves apart from Bungie at the expense of the series itself.

Or, in the Halsey case, they wanted to add some moral complexity to a core piece of the canon. Whether they handled that well is another discussion, but saying they just wanted to shit on Bungie's legacy is silly.

343 is secretly in bed with Big Eyeglasses to make you suffer and spend more money.
Juices is finally working for Halo, but via Gunnar.

But seriously, the fonts in Halo 4 are so bad. It makes moment-to-moment situational awareness harder than ever. Even reading the call signs over team members' heads is harder than it should be.

There are dozens of influences behind each and every one of 343's decisions. Yes, sometimes the changes feel pointless. Sometimes the changes feel like they're trying to fix something that wasn't broken. Sometimes the changes feel like they're trying to set themselves apart from Bungie at the expense of the series itself.

Or, in the Halsey case, they wanted to add some moral complexity to a core piece of the canon. Whether they handled that well is another discussion, but saying they just wanted to shit on Bungie's legacy is silly.

But seriously, the fonts in Halo 4 are so bad. It makes moment-to-moment situational awareness harder than ever. Even reading the call signs over team members' heads is harder than it should be.

You know what the fonts reminded me when i first saw them? Those beta style fonts you see in unfinished games. I wonder if time was so constrained that even small things like fonts had no type of time to address.

ElRenoRaven

I agree there. I don't think anything they've done was just to shit on Halo. I think some of it was as mentioned to drive a narrative but also some of it is just that they didn't understand why certain parts of the story clicked with people and in trying to fix or continue those parts they're not doing so good. Bungie was great at being subtle about things and 343 not so good at it.

Omni

I guess that explains why you want the AR in Halo 2, Chettlar. You've never played it.

I said I haven't finished it. The parts I have played I see no reason the AR wouldn't work as an option to mix things up again.

I have only played the first level of ODST to completion, though.
:lol

Chettlar

Banned
I guess that explains why you want the AR in Halo 2, Chettlar. You've never played it.

I said I haven't finished it. The parts I have played I see no reason the AR wouldn't work as an option to mix things up again.

I have only played the first level of ODST to completion, though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Chettlar, CEA came out in November 2011. Not quite four years. :p

Mistel

Banned
Main issue I have with the banshee is the separated wings make it look less Covenant-y and more Forefunner-y.
I though it was based on forerunner technology:
H2-Heretic-T26BansheeGSA.png

What I want to know is when the executive decision to make them out of paper mache happened.

Nebula is on a role with these heavies matches donging on randoms.

Akai__

I kinda liked to fight the Flood, even if it's only for the sake of variety in combat. Using the Flamethrower on them, was just so good.

With that said, I hope 343i changes something, about the combat in Halo 5. It felt really boring to fight the Prometheans, because it was always the same way, how you approached them. Shame, that we are still fighting the Covenant, too. I was getting sick of them, in Halo 4. If they are back in Halo 5, which they probably are anyways, then Brutes should come back, too. They could also add a new alien species or real Forerunners, if you ask me.

nillapuddin

Nope you should be all good, but reposting the guide for others would be nice :)
.. boom
Thats why borderless windowed is great, you dont see any of that stuff and it looks just like full screen with the benefit of fixing the mouse aiming problem in H2V oh and also allowing for 90 FoV via mods that only work in window mode! :D

Just download DSfix and do the following
-Disable Vsync in game
-Enable windowed mode in game
-Open DSfix.ini and make the following changes
-Set resolution to your monitor resolution
-unlock FPS
-Set FPS cap to your refreshrate
-Allow for borderless window mode
-Make sure vsync is not enabled in DSfix.ini
-Download this and use the FoV app
-Set FoV to your preference.

Enjoy.

ermazing

I remember we all got a lobby going last year and boosted those achievements. Haha. Not that we needed to though (there were lots of Rainman/Violent Cartog servers running)

I remember, I was so jealous, I exclusively worked nights back then and missed it :/

The continuation of inconsistent spine art for Halo novels continues
all I wanted was ONE clean, beautiful, nerdy bookshelf of teh Halos
already had to make custom game covers, now dis
mortal dictata was a big letdown, #teamhalsey

.. boom

ermazing

I remember, I was so jealous, I exclusively worked nights back then and missed it :/

The continuation of inconsistent spine art for Halo novels continues
all I wanted was ONE clean, beautiful, nerdy bookshelf of teh Halos
already had to make custom game covers, now dis
mortal dictata was a big letdown, #teamhalsey

But
Halsey is Literally Hitler. /s

JonCha

I don't believe for a second there will be port of Halo 3 and 4 with an edition of Halo 2: Anniversary.

I'm also struggling to see why 343 would recreate Halo 2 multiplayer. Why wouldn't they recreate the maps like they did with HCE: A?

Dub117

I don't believe for a second there will be port of Halo 3 and 4 with an edition of Halo 2: Anniversary.

I'm also struggling to see why 343 would recreate Halo 2 multiplayer. Why wouldn't they recreate the maps like they did with HCE: A?
Because we all want H2 multi? That's a pretty good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom