• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHzVhIjxvKI

Wraith = Me
Banshee = Stormtrooper

Alley-oop! Nice.

Legitimately shocked at people still playing halo 4

Despite what many say there are still very good quality games to be had. Would you like some full games to watch? In the last 3 nights alone in near full parties I could upload 5 very high quality matches with great close matches in BTB/BTB CTF. I've been stockpiling like 20 games for the HaloGAF montage, I know I'll be one of the few to submit Halo 4 clips. Is it great every game? Hell no. Was any previous Halo game great every game 1 year after launch? Hell no. Is it the only Halo game I play? Hell no.

The bowl gametype delivered some great fun with really nice gun/movement/teamwork gameplay. Ricochet was really another great gametype and on Pitfall/Haven is quite good. Longbow CTF in BTB is solid. Is not being able to play the DLC maps often shit? Hell yes.

Yes yes it missed the arena feel at launch and the maps aren't to Halo 2 levels but the game still has some great experiences to offer. Every Halo game has hits and misses. I still play Reach/Halo 3 on Thursday nights and those games just don't live up to 4's current setup. The maps, bombs and 1-sided games I want in Halo 4's sandbox/netcode. Next gen Halo can't get here soon enough.

Mistel

Banned
There's also a suicide triple kill from a KOTH game that I did in a banshee. I nearly got stuck upside down on exile in that banshee, when the tip of it got stuck in a tiny tunnel.

I also can't plat 3 BTB unless I wait till the early morning hours.

TheOddOne

I don't know if you can qualify which of the two got "shit on" the most by the community (Halo 2 might beat them both), but you can definitely qualify which one people think was better. Reach has a higher metascore from critics as well as players, and of course it had a much higher playerbase one year post-launch than Halo 4 did. For my money, I think the vitriol aimed at Halo 4 is a lot more frequent and a lot more extreme than it was for Reach, and the numbers reflect that.
Halo 4 is getting shit on more, because it is the latest release. People, for most part, have moved on from Reach, so you see less frequent complaint because the playerbase is non-existent. So of course you are going to see more complaints, but if you were around during the Reach-era, Halo 4 pretty much continued the complaint train. It’s like it never stopped.

The point isn’t which game is better. Metacritic says very little about the game after release, so that is moot point. Both had a sharp decline in player base, both introduced elements that broke the sandbox, both were scolded for the changes by the community and both were shit on consistently. Trust me, I and other people complained in multiple OT’s and wrote long posts about the broken elements. To somehow proclaim that Reach was less complained about and thus being the better game is weird stance to take, because it was scolded during beta and during its lifetime—if it wasn’t than all these OT’s were filled with people just tuning in for Juices to write about all the chicks he was scoring with.

Halo 4 is getting shit on more, because it is the latest release. People, for most part, have moved on from Reach, so you see less frequent complaint because the playerbase is non-existent. So of course you are going to see more complaints, but if you were around during the Reach-era, Halo 4 pretty much continued the complaint train. It’s like it never stopped.

The point isn’t which game is better. Metacritic says very little about the game after release, so that is moot point. Both had a sharp decline in player base, both introduced elements that broke the sandbox, both were scolded for the changes by the community and both were shit on consistently. Trust me, I and other people complained in multiple OT’s and wrote long posts about the broken elements. To somehow proclaim that Reach was less complained about and thus being the better game is weird stance to take, because it was scolded during beta and during its lifetime—if it wasn’t than all these OT’s were filled with people just tuning in for Juices to write about all the chicks he was scoring with.

Halo 2 was the most broken piece of shit for the first 6 months, honestly and I fucking loved that multiplayer and maps. It was complained about more in its first 6 months than any other Halo IMO. Paradoxically it was also the golden age of Halo/XBL online.

Ramirez

Oh yea, well my dick was this big last time I played Halo 4.

8==================================================================D

Halo 2 was the most broken piece of shit for the first 6 months, honestly and I fucking loved that multiplayer and maps. It was complained about more in its first 6 months than any other Halo IMO. Paradoxically it was also the golden age of Halo/XBL online.

Halo 2 was actually a good game despite all that.

TheOddOne

Same. Though Halo 2 had that magic that kept me coming back, even with all the problems I had with it. Halo 3 continued it, during Reach my patience kept waning and just outright gave up on Halo 4.

Caayn

Looked it up, 123 days since I last played Halo 4. That's my longest drought of a new Halo FPS release. Crazy..
Played a couple of matches in december to just give it another shot and look at the changes since the last I played before that. After 4 matches I gave up and quit, don't plan on ever putting the disc in again.
I can't believe people try play by themselves... 4 gets much better when you can decide the vote and avoid Infinity Slayer on Abandon, et al.
As someone who mostly plays as a lone wolf. Getting matched with a (larger sized/full) party is the worst thing that can happen.

Mistel

Banned
I can't believe people try play by themselves... 4 gets much better when you can decide the vote and avoid Infinity Slayer on Abandon, et al.
Solo btb is ridiculously easy, randoms seem to just charge head on without thinking. Full parties are a death sentence though.

Chettlar

Banned
Gizmodo source, heaps more pics of this 7-foot monster in the link

ku-xlarge.png

Edit - I like the font changes, less kiddy font and more futuristic styling. It's been a long time coming Halo should have grown up, just look at Star Wars going after the young audience all the time.

I wish Microsoft would license Halo to lego instead of Mega bloks.

Mostly just because I'm madly curious as to how something like this would turn out:

lego_halo.jpg

(Not that I like the cover. It's pretty ugly)

Dub117

Played a couple of matches in december to just give it another shot and look at the changes since the last I played before that. After 5 matches I gave up and quit, don't plan on ever putting the disc in again.
I honestly like the changes, think it plays a lot better. But the lack of any of my friends playing, low population, plus being by myself keeps me away. I hope for a nice population in H2A so you can at least meet non 10 year olds in a game.

nillapuddin

So do we have to play every single prebuilt variant?
or can I just create a custom variant for each main type with a very easy winning condition?

Except this is completely wrong. People complained just as much during the Reach days.
Pretty much. I think the out and out hatred was toned down a bit during Reach, but there were pleeeeeeeeeenty of hardcore complaints. All started with the beta and just went downhill from there (I'm sure someone has Ghaleon EB's writeup on the beta handy). For me at least, there was Firefight and online campaign co-op to alleviate my anger towards the jetpack/armor lock dogshit that happened so frequently in matchmaking.

Caayn

I wish Microsoft would license Halo to lego instead of Mega bloks.

Mostly just because I'm madly curious as to how something like this would turn out:

lego_halo.jpg

(Not that I like the cover. It's pretty ugly)
Such a shame that 343i wasn't able to license the Marathon symbol, we'll never see the complete Halo logo again or the original Guilty Spark :(

I honestly like the changes, think it plays a lot better. But the lack of any of my friends playing, low population, plus being by myself keeps me away. I hope for a nice population in H2A so you can at least meet non 10 year olds in a game.
It's a bit of everything that turned me off after playing it again. Such as things as sprint and flynch being in the legendary mode. Which was supposed to resemble classic Halo.

Chettlar

Banned
Such a shame that 343i wasn't able to license the Marathon symbol, we'll never see the complete Halo logo again or the original Guilty Spark :(

At least
he's still alive
, but yeah. Sucks. What were the complications of that? Is bungie just holding onto the rights and won't let anybody have them? Is it possible they could license it to MS for something like a couple lego games? (Meaning one for the original trilogy with Reach and/or ODST, and then another for ODST/Reach [depending on which is left out], 4, 5, and Wars, with Wars playing like the Lego Star Wars III RTS missions).

Fuchsdh

At least
he's still alive
, but yeah. Sucks. What were the complications of that? Is bungie just holding onto the rights and won't let anybody have them? Is it possible they could license it to MS for something like a couple lego games? (Meaning one for the original trilogy with Reach and/or ODST, and then another for ODST/Reach [depending on which is left out], 4, 5, and Wars, with Wars playing like the Lego Star Wars III RTS missions).

The Marathon logo was created by Bungie before Halo, so the rights didn't transfer. I'd expect neither party wanted to come to some licensing terms.

Karl2177

The Marathon logo was created by Bungie before Halo, so the rights didn't transfer. I'd expect neither party wanted to come to some licensing terms.
Makes you wonder about the Superintendant logo. That's owned by Bungie, but yet it showed up in the Anniversary Maps. I wonder if it has to do with Reach technically being a Bungie title or if it was licensed for 343I to use.

Dub117

It's a bit of everything that turned me off after playing it again. Such as things as sprint and flynch being in the legendary mode. Which was supposed to resemble classic Halo.
Sprint doesn't bother me THAT bad, but yeah flinch sucks. Bad. Seems like they could have just turned those off but idk.

TheXbox

You can't act like Reach and Halo 4 experienced identical player loss. Halo 4 lost 75% of its playerbase in three weeks, and since then it's been on a steady decline, now sitting at something like 20000. Reach easily got three times that on a regular basis a year after launch. It's not even close. I was around on B.net well before Reach came out, so believe me I know what you're talking about. People bitched about Reach, I know that. All I think is that if you want to know how people feel about a game, look at who's playing it. In the case of Halo 4, just about no one.

belushy

Banned
Please play vista with us. All that is on and people coming into our lobby and saying arms rifle and not letting Nilla kill them

Also this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHzVhIjxvKI

Wraith = Me
Banshee = Stormtrooper
hahah nicee
So do we have to play every single prebuilt variant?
or can I just create a custom variant for each main type with a very easy winning condition?
Please play vista with us. All that is on and people coming into our lobby and saying arms rifle and not letting Nilla kill them
Getting on.

UNKNOWN iXi

blamite

Edit - I like the font changes, less kiddy font and more futuristic styling. It's been a long time coming Halo should have grown up, just look at Star Wars going after the young audience all the time.
iWLbYovFQVNrh.gif

I have no idea if this is parody or not so I can only assume you're being serious. I'll gladly stand corrected if it turns out you're actually some kind of genius-level master of trolling as subtle as it is pointless.

Literally what the fuck are you talking about. What makes this:
Rm8WBem.png

In any way whatsoever "more futuristic" than this:
QCZigXQ.png

It's a 26th century shielded space helmet with a giant screen on the inside of it, why are you writing in tiny, blocky, all-uppercase text? It's just harder to read in every way. Don't even get me started on the phrase "less kiddy font." What does that even mean, in the context of a font. It's not fucking comic sans, it's a pretty standard font. And it's fairly readable, which is really the most important thing it needs to be. But you're right, Halo does need to grow up, just like some kind of reverse-Star Wars, and what better place to start than by changing the font used in the HUD.

Nebula

I hope they finally figure out the betrayal system in 5. It's still awful on Halo 4. Got betrayed 3 times on purpose by a guy sitting in a Gauss Hog turret and I accidentally rocket him once and it's an instaboot.

This is something they need to spend some time thinking about how to implement a system that can't be abused like this.

Mistel

Banned
I hope they finally figure out the betrayal system in 5. It's still awful on Halo 4. Got betrayed 3 times on purpose by a guy sitting in a Gauss Hog turret and I accidentally rocket him once and it's an instaboot.

This is something they need to spend some time thinking about how to implement a system that can't be abused like this.
I got the option to kick you like twice. I hate people standing in front the vehicle deliberately it screwed me over a couple of times, no doubt of that. The system could do with a revamp.

Madness

Lol, yesterday, I accidentally betrayed 2 guys with a random wraith shot, I was just aiming it over the hill in Valhalla from a distance and it hit their rocket hog, well like 3 minutes later, near the end of the match, I guess they remembered that and one of the guys purposely Splasered me out of the air in my Banshee, I immediately got the option to boot and I did and like 4 people got dropped from the game and we were so close to winning. I got a pretty nasty voice message after from one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom