• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

belushy

Banned
tVrtgxY.jpg

Ended up playing a lot of CE, good times.
Stalker, Juggernaut, Crazy King, Rockets, CTF

3kwNY4f.jpg

Everyone got destroyed by my one coworker who is apparently a ringer at MvC3, fucker went 8-0

Played a bunch of Halo 4 to end the night.

*Could not access any DLC maps, which limited my pool for specific things I had setup (fucking screams) and the sign in process was infuriating because of the online check prompt, dlc prompt, and xp prompt of every single player.

**Other than that, Halo 4 went well, no game altering lag even on my forge maps, TONS of pop-in, including some hilarious pops on Adrift (using the lifts, imagine half the "base area" is invisable til you land) but good experience. Looking forward to tomorrow with more than 5 people.

***never realized how huge a movie screen is, till your not watching a movie on it. Games looked fucking awesome

That would be infuriating to play on honestly. How did you guys manage to stay sane with the delay?

Mistel

Banned

Did no one watch it and notice that script? It is very telling of quality control at 343 industries that it effectively leaks its own work.

By no means this is an attack the people who work there they are clearly passionate about halo but it seems direction is lacking.

Or the changes made from that prerelease battle rifle gif that people who where in control of multiplayer where to focused in attracting a new crowd than appeasing the long term audience.

The population of halo 4 clearly shows that those changes didn't work.

Got excited because there was 5 pages of new posts instead of the usual couple and expected something to be announced.

No news, i am disappoint :(

Mistel

Banned
Like anybody knew that it was the ending when they released that vidoc.

That's a good point I can't remember went the vidoc came out but I thought story would have been decided before any campaign stuff occurred.

Especially for the script to be created for the final level unless multiple story variants existed it's a question someone from 343 could answer.

Fuchsdh

Interesting article from AV Club:

Why the doomed heroes of Halo: Reach outshine the series’ iconic star

From a pure campaign perspective, Reach did everything better than Halo 4 as far as I'm concerned. Plot, character investment, AI combat, etc. Halo 4 was pretty to look at, but damn what a price to pay.

Well he's not a Halo fan so he doesn't have the spectre of story disappointment to hang over his head (why is the Chief not in the fight on Reach? He was originally, dammit Bungie).

I disagree with his sentiment that Noble Team worked as characters though. They were archetypes that didn't get enough time before they were blown away to care. When you kill off Spock, people care because they've spent newly twenty years with the character. You don't care about the redshirt who just beamed down to the salt monster's lair. Noble Team was in between.

Numerous faults of the campaign aside I think Halo did much better with its central protagonists imparting them with something more genuine in the personality department. Even grouchy old Captain Del Rio I'd take over holland.

So Reach as better overall campaign? I can see that argument. Reach as superior story and characters? Them's fighting words.

ElRenoRaven

Well. I done did it guys. I done did it good. I finally let go of my hatred. I replayed Halo 4 for the first time in many moons. I have to say I do enjoy the campaign in spite of it's many flaws. They did get some of the basics right such as the gunplay, feel of the vehicles, and other such things. Even the story while a bit all over the place is serviceable. The multiplayer has potential too if they'd just design some better maps that have real flow to them, kept set loadouts, reduced the zoom on the DMR, and removed the AAs.

The real news is though that even though I said I'd wait for a price cut or kinectless sku I just picked up an xbox one to go with my PS4. Figure Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, along with a few other exclusives will ultimately make it a worthy investment.

So feel free to add me on live too. Same tag as PS4 and Neogaf.

nillapuddin

That would be infuriating to play on honestly. How did you guys manage to stay sane with the delay?

Wat

Damn I always wanted to play Halo in a movie theater.

Not gunna lie, I knew it would be really awesome, but it was way more fun than I anticipated

The warthog runs in CE and 3 in a cinema would be amazing.

No doubt, hoping to get some co-op tonight before the crowd comes

Why would you choose to play Halo 4 over Halo 3?

Reasons.

**also, screen watching was very hard if not completely avoided, each player had so much screen real estate it filled the entire eye

Mistel

Banned

From a pure campaign perspective, Reach did everything better than Halo 4 as far as I'm concerned. Plot, character investment, AI combat, etc. Halo 4 was pretty to look at, but damn what a price to pay.

On comparison reach's campaign was better but noble team themselves I only really liked Jorge as a character.

The others not so much I knew that six she was going to die regardless of my actions but I did like playing as my own Spartan a lot.

Jun maybe at a stretch nut that's only due to Levi's comic the others kind of sucked or where quite stereotypical.

Fuchsdh

**also, screen watching was very hard if not completely avoided, each player had so much screen real estate it filled the entire eye

Screenwatching is part of CE for me. I remember lots of 1v1 games with my brother where we both knew exactly where the other person was, and we'd have all these Mexican standoffs with power weapons.
Well. I done did it guys. I done did it good. I finally let go of my hatred. I replayed Halo 4 for the first time in many moons. I have to say I do enjoy the campaign in spite of it's many flaws. They did get some of the basics right such as the gunplay, feel of the vehicles, and other such things. Even the story while a bit all over the place is serviceable. The multiplayer has potential too if they'd just design some better maps that have real flow to them, kept set loadouts, reduced the zoom on the DMR, and removed the AAs.

The real news is though that even though I said I'd wait for a price cut or kinectless sku I just picked up an xbox one to go with my PS4. Figure Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, along with a few other exclusives will ultimately make it a worthy investment.

So feel free to add me on live too. Same tag as PS4 and Neogaf.

What happened man, you used to have integrity.

…Read the Polygon review of the XB1 yesterday (had seen the PS4 one earlier), and it pretty much cemented the 1 as my choice. Using the Kinect and the cloud to make swapping controllers and signing people in at other's houses essentially seamless is awesome and is that great slice of "cool tech I'll actually use". The HDMI passthrough is going to be useful for me, I prefer the controller, and I'm down with using voice commands. We'll see if we get either a price cut or a bundle next year with Halo, then I'll jump in.

TheOddOne

This is a weird post.

This is really a weird post.

Wurd.

Valhelm

contribute something

I've never understood the criticism's of Reach's story. The plot could have been more well-developed, and the retconning was a shame, but it was pretty solid. Halo Reach probably had the most affecting campaign of any of the games, and Noble Team were all memorable and pretty well fleshed-out.

PSA: If any of you are planning on picking up SA for X1, be aware that if you have a Win8 device or WP8, it's cheaper to purchase it on one of those platforms and then the discounted X1 version than just purchase the X1 version on its own. ($12 vs $15)

Yes, that makes no sense, but reasons or something.

ElRenoRaven

This is a weird post.

This is really a weird post.

Wurd.

I know I know. I just couldn't resist. I have to have my Dead Rising 3 and damn have you seen Titanfall? That game does look interesting as hell. Combine that with Halo 5 and the Halo tv show shit and well there you go. lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
PSA: If any of you are planning on picking up SA for X1, be aware that if you have a Win8 device or WP8, it's cheaper to purchase it on one of those platforms and then the discounted X1 version than just purchase the X1 version on its own. ($12 vs $15)

Yes, that makes no sense, but reasons or something.

LOL.

Well he's not a Halo fan so he doesn't have the spectre of story disappointment to hang over his head (why is the Chief not in the fight on Reach? He was originally, dammit Bungie).

I disagree with his sentiment that Noble Team worked as characters though. They were archetypes that didn't get enough time before they were blown away to care. When you kill off Spock, people care because they've spent newly twenty years with the character. You don't care about the redshirt who just beamed down to the salt monster's lair. Noble Team was in between.

Numerous faults of the campaign aside I think Halo did much better with its central protagonists imparting them with something more genuine in the personality department. Even grouchy old Captain Del Rio I'd take over holland.

So Reach as better overall campaign? I can see that argument. Reach as superior story and characters? Them's fighting words.
Very true with the archetype argument, but for the most part it worked in the confines of a singular story. They HAD to be archetypal characters to give any sense of connection to their fates. They still suffer from eye-rolling dialog and stiff voice acting, but at the very least I had a reaction to their demise other than apathy.

On comparison reach's campaign was better but noble team themselves I only really liked Jorge as a character.

The others not so much I knew that six she was going to die regardless of my actions but I did like playing as my own Spartan a lot.

Jun maybe at a stretch nut that's only due to Levi's comic the others kind of sucked or where quite stereotypical.
was the bold intentional? I never played Reach as a female.

I've never understood the criticism's of Reach's story. The plot could have been more well-developed, and the retconning was a shame, but it was pretty solid. Halo Reach probably had the most affecting campaign of any of the games, and Noble Team were all memorable and pretty well fleshed-out.
I still feel there was a bit to be desired from the characters in Reach, but the gameplay of the campaign is just top notch. If only we could have had moments of seeing Chief in action that was out of our control...

Tawpgun

While Reach didn't have the great level design of Halo 3, the combat really was awesome *for campaign. Bloom worked, the AA's were interesting. Combat was really tight and enemies were fun to fight except for the Brutes which were a chore.

wwm0nkey

Destiny adopting quick kill times and almost guaranteeing a kill if you catch them with their pants down / really hard to flee.

My hype kinda died.

HTupolev

Reach executes on its narrative structure better, both through gameplay and aesthetics, even if the dialogue and delivery can be kind of terrible sometimes.

At the start of Halo 4, I actually thought its storytelling was going to nail it. It starts out looking like it's doing to put in a genuine effort to iterate on a Halo 1-like structure, and it sells it right up into the opening of Requiem. But then it just sort of falls apart. Halo 4's dawn-to-midnight thing doesn't actually make sense with a Halo 1 structure (where the time-of-day narrative tie-in doesn't really start until Silent Cartographer), and 343i didn't seem to understand how to twist the source structure to make sense with what they were doing. And the game has several plotlines which are fighting for screen time rather than cooperating in any kind of narratively useful way. And even though Reach's dialogue can be clunky, it's not like Halo 4 is particularly stellar either; very little of the dialogue is particularly intelligent, and you've got plenty of un-gems like "if reason will not stop you..."

From a pure campaign perspective, Reach did everything better than Halo 4 as far as I'm concerned.
Nah, Halo 4's campaign framerate is better.

Mistel

Banned
was the bold intentional? I never played Reach as a female.

My bad female so i set all of my Spartans to female automatically if the option is available to me. Shame more people didn't the voice acting sounded better than the male one in the cutscenes.

Hi domino :)
i don't think i am the same one you thinking of i am not sure though

Tawpgun

Destiny adopting quick kill times and almost guaranteeing a kill if you catch them with their pants down / really hard to flee.

My hype kinda died.

Yeah for sure. I thought with how great the movement looked, plus the guardians ability and ADS not being that necesarry would mean some fantastic arena like combat.

I still want to see a direct feed of a multiplayer match from the most talented players at Bungie.

My bad female so i set all of my Spartans to female automatically if the option is available to me. Shame more people didn't the voice acting sounded better than the male one in the cutscenes.

Her latinamerican voice is funny, looks like she was constipated or something. Too bad she only grunts in Firefight also I never played the male version of noble six

My hype kinda died.

I am OKAY with fast kill times if there isn't a whole lot of aim assist, bullet magnetism, ADS lock on, etc etc. When anyone can get a kill because the games gives them a huge amount of help, that's when it becomes an issue with me.

I'm holding my judgement on PvP until I actually see/try the game. I'm hoping Bungie is at PAX East with some demos of the game since the beta comes out a short time after.

Tawpgun

I am OKAY with fast kill times if there isn't a whole lot of aim assist, bullet magnetism, ADS lock on, etc etc. When anyone can get a kill because the games gives them a huge amount of help, that's when it becomes an issue with me.

I'm holding my judgement on PvP until I actually see/try the game. I'm hoping Bungie is at PAX East with some demos of the game since the beta comes out a short time after.
Oh shit. Hype. Let's hope its true. I thought we wouldn't see Destiny at PAX East since it would be out but now that they pushed back the launch date...

wwm0nkey

I hope its good but holy shit that GameInformer video about MP killed my hype so much and then kicked its dead corpse when it comes to MP
*still excited for co-op and missions.

Mistel

Banned
lol that's not him.

Shh :p is Stormtrooper another gaffer?

Her latinamerican voice is funny, looks like she was constipated or something. Too bad she only grunts in Firefight also I never played the male version of noble six

the only thing i didn't like was the running sounds for her, i never noticed the grunting in fire fight i think it was in multiplayer as well i am not sure.

My hype kinda died.
Lars is talking about being a bit faster than the slow utility weapons in the last couple Halo games. Pretty sure it very much remains a sandbox shooter in terms of weapons. You're not seeing military shooter kill times here. A quicker pace is very welcome for me after they made Halo play slower with each iteration.

That said, guys if you're looking for a true arena shooter, it's going to be from an indie dev. No AAA shooter in the next five years is going to be without the trappings of the current shooter market.

wwm0nkey

Lars is talking about being a bit faster than the slow utility weapons in the last couple Halo games. Pretty sure it very much remains a sandbox shooter in terms of weapons. You're not seeing military shooter kill times here. A quicker pace is very welcome for me after they made Halo play slower with each iteration.

That said, guys if you're looking for a true arena shooter, it's going to be from an indie dev. No AAA shooter in the next five years is going to be without the trappings of the current shooter market.
for arena shooters I'm just going with Quake Live and Murder Miners PC until the next "big" arena shooter is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom