• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
The destiny multiplayer sounds very mmo-ish, not a terrible thing but it will turn a lot of people off.

The halo 4 unlocks are a joke compared to what you need to do before you can be "competitive" in an mmo. Any shooter's unlocks are.
Destiny is not an MMO.

Destiny—it's not an MMO.

The upcoming first-person action/shooter game from Bungie, Destiny, is not a massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

TheOddOne

If you still don't get it after the myriad of posts by not only myself, but many others, then there's no point. You can't save those who clearly do not want to be saved.

Don't fear the love.
Deflecting is a fools tactic to make himself look better.

I didn't even need to find a crappy youtube video to prove my point.

Mistel

Banned
Says the man who thinks Halo 3 and Brawl were the best games in their franchises. I think that speaks for itself.

How can someone having a favorite game in a franchise be a big enough issue to invalidate their opinion in an argument?

I'd say that a vast majority of halo fans preferred the offerings halo 2 and 3 to latter installments in the multiplayer department.

How can someone having a favorite game in a franchise be a big enough issue to invalidate their opinion in an argument?

I'd say that a vast majority of halo fans preferred the offerings halo 2 and 3 to latter installments in the multiplayer department.

I too prefer Halo 2 and Halo 3 over the later Halo games, but that wasn't the issue. Honestly, I don't care that Fracas likes Halo 3 and Brawl more than CE/H2 and Smash 64/Melee (this is what I was addressing, not Reach/4) nor would I really ever chew him up for it.

The fact that he "joined sides" in some weird hostility that TheOddOne created is why I called it out.

TheOddOne

The fact that he "joined sides" in some weird hostility that TheOddOne created is why I called it out.
Oh please, typical Funknown behavior to act as if he was innocent. I despise people that use this deflect attitude to avoid any responsibility in the matter. You got called out, could not muster up a decent reply to my points and now I’m the weird one. GG.

Destiny is not an MMO.

Destiny—it's not an MMO.

The upcoming first-person action/shooter game from Bungie, Destiny, is not a massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

No one said it was. He was talking about the unlock system and gave the example of halo 4's gameplay-altering unlocks as being mild in that regard.

Also, MMO doesn't necessitate RPG. See Trackmania, UltraCorps, or Dust 514 for example.

TheOddOne

To not let this page go to total waste, I present you with this.

343 has hired a new writer.

jvHl6rDEB88Mv.png

I think Project Mamba is Just Cause 3. Could be wrong.

Mistel

Banned
To not let this page go to total waste, I present you with this.

343 has hired a new writer.

jvHl6rDEB88Mv.png

I think Project Mamba is Just Cause 3. Could be wrong.

A new writer seems like a good edition just out of interest is Eric nyland still a writer I really liked ghosts of onyx.

Traviss work not so much of hasley being evil but that's mainly because she seems to write better republic commando, novels as she had complete control over direction which doesn't suit halo at all.

Also, MMO doesn't necessitate RPG. See Trackmania, UltraCorps, or Dust 514 for example.
Yes, I know there are MMOs that aren't RPGs.Destiny isn't an MMO. There may be some persistent world elements, but they're simulating an MMO experience with background matchmaking.We were talking about MMORPGs though.

What he said was in regard to balancing a competitive MMORPG. In Destiny, actions will supercede everything else. It is a concern we don't even need to start having.

Oh please, typical Funknown behavior to act as if he was innocent. I despise people that use this deflect attitude to avoid any responsibility in the matter. You got called out, could not muster up a decent reply to my points and now I’m the weird one. GG.

Typical me this, typical me that. Keep trying guy, you're not breaking this wall.

Sawft.

A new writer seems like a good edition just out of interest is Eric nyland still a writer I really liked ghosts of onyx.

Traviss work not so much of hasley being evil but that's mainly because she seems to write better republic commando, novels as she had complete control over direction which doesn't suit halo at all.

Sadly no, Nylund now works as: Director of Narrative Design / Amazon Game Studios.

We haven't and will not not see him involved with Halo for the foreseeable future.

Holy punctuation batman.

Eric Nylund is still writing, but he is no longer part of Microsoft. It's unlikely he had any significant input on Halo 4 either.
His last big contribution [that I know of] to the series being the excellent Halsey journal.

Ghazi

Hopefully the new writer takes the series somewhere cool, I thought Halo 4's campaign was meh and sometimes a little good at its best, but I immensely enjoyed the eye candy, vehicles, and Cortana.

belushy

Banned
I too prefer Halo 2 and Halo 3 over the later Halo games, but that wasn't the issue. Honestly, I don't care that Fracas likes Halo 3 and Brawl more than CE/H2 and Smash 64/Melee (this is what I was addressing, not Reach/4) nor would I really ever chew him up for it.

which zelda is the best zelda?

Hopefully the new writer takes the series somewhere cool, I thought Halo 4's campaign was meh and sometimes a little good at its best, but I immensely enjoyed the eye candy, vehicles, and Cortana.

For me I found campaign having John refuse orders and then the Cortana/John ending to be some of the best stuff in Halo. Once SPOPS delivered the Halsey/Librarian scene it was like she fulfilled her...er...destiny (don't hate me for that pun) and lead into the Janus Key for future Forerunner exploration.

Aside from the dude-bro SIV's and some hating on Palmer I still don't get a fair amount of the comments. Look at Halo 2, seeing the Arbiter gain his armour was brilliant then we got the Gravemind little shop of horrors plant that made me almost feel embarrassed to follow Halo.

Halo has always been these insane highs and lows, I didn't see Halo 4 any different in that respect.

Mistel

Banned
the writing for the campaign and Spartan Ops was difficult to take seriously because mainly of Palmer.

Palmer is incredibly annoying to me ordering me around the same 5 environments to push buttons, that caused more problems than the scientists without guards did.

Thanks for telling me about Nylund hopefully the studio makes full use of his writing ability.

Yes, I know there are MMOs that aren't RPGs.Destiny isn't an MMO. There may be some persistent world elements, but they're simulating an MMO experience with background matchmaking.We were talking about MMORPGs though.

What he said was in regard to balancing a competitive MMORPG. In Destiny, actions will supercede everything else. It is a concern we don't even need to start having.
Isn't there a the-more-you-play-the-better-gear-you-get sort of thing? Like taking stuff with you to competitive? Isn't that the concern he was expressing?

98y214S.jpg

DfYECkj.png

Qh9rdpS.png

Ghazi

For me I found campaign having John refuse orders and then the Cortana/John ending to be some of the best stuff in Halo. Once SPOPS delivered the Halsey/Librarian scene it was like she fulfilled her...er...destiny (don't hate me for that pun) and lead into the Janus Key for future Forerunner exploration.

Aside from the dude-bro SIV's and some hating on Palmer I still don't get a fair amount of the comments. Look at Halo 2, seeing the Arbiter gain his armour was brilliant then we got the Gravemind little shop of horrors plant that made me almost feel embarrassed to follow Halo.

Halo has always been these insane highs and lows, I didn't see Halo 4 any different in that respect.
It was more about how little was accomplished in the game and how the game's plot was spaced (kinda badly). The game did have its highs, but they weren't really anything super cool like the previous games. SPOPS cutscenes were cool, SPOPS itself not really.
the writing for the campaign and Spartan Ops was difficult to take seriously because mainly of Palmer.
Meh, Palmer looks to stay, so I'm not getting too excited for it. Watch them kill of chef and have Palmer go through some kind of emotion revelation period and we start playing as her as she tries to finish Chef's quest.

oh ho ho. Trick question. Sheik is best Zelda.

GOY5MN6.gif

Madness

I actually didn't appreciate these parts. Spartans don't say 'No' or show emotion. They do the job they're asked even if it's a suicide mission. So even if the captain was a typical asshole they needed, I didn't like Chief show insubordination. As for the other parts to humanize Chief, they turned it in an angle where he lost his soulmate/lover, as opposed to an AI. Halo 4 almost felt like a love story by the end.

I actually didn't appreciate these parts. Spartans don't say 'No' or show emotion. They do the job they're asked even if it's a suicide mission. So even if the captain was a typical asshole they needed, I didn't like Chief show insubordination. As for the other parts to humanize Chief, they turned it in an angle where he lost his soulmate/lover, as opposed to an AI. Halo 4 almost felt like a love story by the end.

I suspect that was the aim. I know people here like to view Master Chief/Cortana as just a backdrop for the actual conflict, but this was one of the different directions that 343 took that I actually liked. It was already heading this direction with the Halo 3 subplot of Chief trying to find Cortana. Not because it was a violation of the Cole Protocol, but because Chief physically needed Cortana. I also think it was the only narrative point in Halo 4 that was actually developed somewhat satisfyingly.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I like TheOddOne and FUNKNOWN. I hit the HaloGAF quota for liking things all by myself this month.

which zelda is the best zelda?

I think all the Zelda games were pretty good, even the DS ones (which a lot of people seem to dislike) because they utilized every part of the DS pretty well IMO. My personal favorite though is OoT because of the experience with it at the time; it holds a special place in my heart :']

Haven't fully played through Skyward Sword yet as I'm waiting for the next one to be revealed for my hype to kick in lol, so can't really make a judgment on that or ALBW because I don't have a 3DS yet. Thinking of using my SUPER FRESH Nintendo coins to get ALttP to replay on the Wii U, but I think I'll just wait to play ALBW so I won't dimish the experience.

How about you?

Yeah this is the reason I found several parts in the Campaign awkward; I don't think the franchise needed to play on actual "love" emotions with their relationship.

343 kind of tainted it for the time being.

I like TheOddOne and FUNKNOWN. I hit the HaloGAF quota for liking things all by myself this month.

Not as much as I like you buddio <3

I think he just needs a hug or something. I've been told I give great hugs soo..

DeadNames

Banned

I couldn't tell how to feel at the end. I was questioning being sad that cortana is rip in piece, but at the same time, Jesus Christ was that awkward.

It was like cortana was a 12 year old girl and chief was justin bieber. And when she touched him and said she's wanted to do that for a long time, it was like I was reading fan fiction.

I get your point of view. For me I think John is and has to be more than just a Spartan. All those books and games/missions where it's just Cortana and him going off plan, discovering key things, feeding back intel to then rally all the forces to arrive at the big events etc.

It is a love story though, just a platonic one e.g. brother and sister. After all they depended on each other physically and mentally which really showed/developed more than ever in 4 IMO. A persistent theme of Cortana/Chief was to blur the line between AI and human.

I get your point of view. For me I think John is and has to be more than just a Spartan. All those books and games/missions where it's just Cortana and him going off plan, discovering key things, feeding back intel to then rally all the forces to arrive at the big events etc.

It is a love story though, just a platonic one e.g. brother and sister. After all they depended on each other physically and mentally which really showed/developed more than ever in 4 IMO. A persistent theme of Cortana/Chief was to blur the line between AI and human.

There was nothing brother and sister about Cortana's posture leaning into Master Chief as she touched him IMO. That could be said about past Halo games, but coupling the fact that Cortana was sexualized moreso in Halo 4, both physically and her general posture/tone, I don't think a brother/sister relationship is the proper way to describe it.

That being said, we all know Master Chief wanted nothing more than to suck on dem toez.

Dark Souls is the best Zelda game.

I've been so close to buying this game but I just don't have the time to invest in it. I don't think I can plow through it without reading/checking out every little detail.

I remember seeing it on sale a month or so ago for dirt cheap on PC. Should've just picked it up then..

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
1. A Link to the Past
2. Link's Awakening
3. A Link Between Worlds

14. Ocarina of Time

belushy

Banned
I think all the Zelda games were pretty good, even the DS ones (which a lot of people seem to dislike) because they utilized every part of the DS pretty well IMO. My personal favorite though is OoT because of the experience with it at the time; it holds a special place in my heart :']

Haven't fully played through Skyward Sword yet as I'm waiting for the next one to be revealed for my hype to kick in lol, so can't really make a judgment on that or ALBW because I don't have a 3DS yet. Thinking of using my SUPER FRESH Nintendo coins to get ALttP to replay on the Wii U, but I think I'll just wait to play ALBW so I won't dimish the experience.

Wind Waker is my personal favorite, next after that is MM, and then I'd say OoT and Skyward Sword. I never finished Twilight Princess :'(

I like Wind Waker I think because of the different look. It was cutesy but was still more enjoyable for me than the other ones. I've only ever played Minish Cap, so I can't really comment on the handhelds. I want to get them all and play through them all again eventually. They've always been a fun experience.

edit: And yeah, I need to play Dark Souls also.

v Yeah but Chief is a horn dog

There was nothing brother and sister about Cortana's posture leaning into Master Chief as she touched him IMO. That could be said about past Halo games, but coupling the fact that Cortana was sexualized moreso in Halo 4, both physically and her general posture/tone, I don't think a brother/sister relationship is the proper way to describe it.

That being said, we all know Master Chief wanted nothing more than to suck on dem toez.

See that's what I don't get about those sorts of love/sexual comments. Just because she's sexy or sensuous doesn't make their relationship that way. Just because your sister is hot doesn't make you hugging or sharing physical contact with her a sexual based action. If I hadn't had contact with my brother or sister (of which I have both) for years on end one of the things I'd be wanting to do is hug it out, same goes for my dad or mum.

What do you do when your family members arrive from a long vacation? You hug or physically interact with them, you know all platonic like.

Of course Cortana wants to share "touch", she's feeling more human than Chief and she knows in advance this is her last moment "alive" and in a long AI life the only conditions where she can use that technological ability. Wouldn't you want to be close to your protector/companion?

Also I like the new hot Cortana, best in any game (maybe that's the mocap/graphics talking).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
See that's what I don't get about those sorts of love/sexual comments. Just because she's sexy or sensuous doesn't make their relationship that way. Just because your sister is hot doesn't make you hugging or sharing physical contact with her a sexual based action. If I hadn't had contact with my brother or sister (of which I have both) for years on end one of the things I'd be wanting to do is hug it out, same goes for my dad or mum.

What do you do when your family members arrive from a long vacation? You hug or physically interact with them, you know all platonic like.

Of course Cortana wants to share "touch", she's feeling more human than Chief and she knows in advance this is her last moment "alive" and in a long AI life the only conditions where she can use that technological ability. Wouldn't you want to be close to your protector/companion?
Yeah, this is pretty close to how I see it. I really don't think Halo 4 was intended to show any sort of romantic feelings between Chief / Cortana.

Mabef

Banned
H4 Cortana looks like she's on the verge of breaking into tears, constantly.

Just the way I like 'em.

P.s. Link's Awakening > CE > H3 > Wind Waker > ODST > OoT > H2 > COD2 > FIFA 12

Also I like the new hot Cortana, best in any game (maybe that's the mocap/graphics talking).

It was the way she did it moreso than just her appearance. Her posture, her glaring eyes, everything about those moments felt too emotional, whether it was sexual or not. I guess the bigger issue was the play on the emotional aspect of it.

I just disagree with the way they portrayed her. It felt unnecessary in a game like Halo when other routes should've been taken with the Campaign (ie: The Arbiter!).

H4 Cortana looks like she's on the verge of breaking into tears, constantly.

Just the way I like 'em.

images

Tawpgun

Was there some huge update to Halo 4? I'm downloading one which is taking forever.

Also, I'm gonna be on Halo 4. Having an itch for some Halo so if anyone is on come on down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom