• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
For many of us, making fun a Tashi for slurping has always been playful. Dude put in a lot of work testing people's maps, iterating on them, building playlists, gametypes, working with devs, and organizing stuff for the game. If Tashi did get hired, he earned it.

I don't even know where there Tashi/Speedy comparison came from. Tashi is actively engaged and interested in the community and Halo, Speedy just talks about how much money he wants to give to Microsoft.

Something's wrong here. This is a serious post, but my screen says mastrbiggy posted.

Couple of things.

Congratulations to Tashi if he did get a job he is good people's

Slightly Live you seem jelly with a dash of salt. Calm down Bro no need to shit on Tashi saying he is the "bottom of the barrel" completely uncalled for and I'd love to know what kind of "message" you think it sends out

Drama socks, This place just needs to be good friendly halo discussion and a bit of kind spirited back and forth not members trying to shit on others.

Congrats Tashi! What drama is going on? Someone please catch me up here?
Back in 2012 or something, the ForwardUntoDawn crew started a kickstarter project for a Halo Community book. (A book about the Halo community if it isn't clear enough) A lot of us pledged $75+ because it is a great idea. Book was promised for 2013. I still have no real clue why it got delayed that much.

Ramirez

What does it matter? They could hire every person here who wants classic Halo to return, it's still not going to, lol.

Also, kickstarter is for suckers.

Blueblur1

What does it matter? They could hire every person here who wants classic Halo to return, it's still not going to, lol.

Dat honesty. Lol

Edit: Congrats to Tashi. I didn't like Halo 4 or 343 as much as he does but he does put effort into giving back into the community and being thoughtful and respectful. Good for him.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Tashi slurps with the best but he also puts a metric fuckton of effort into Halo. (if he actually got hired - i still have no idea) It's cool that he is now doing what he likes. Comparing him to Speedy is really dumb, as biggy pointed out.

I didn't even know about the Community Evolved thing, so I have no beef in that.

Chettlar

Banned
In random news I just got pid for free on steam (because of that recent thread on how to do that). I'm not sure if I like it or not after playing for 45 minutes.

I really dislike the save feature though. Just because of the type of game it is, I really think it should save at every checkpoint.

nillapuddin

...I was kind of expecting a "yes the sent me a code" or "yes they activated it for me" or something like that. I am trying to get this worked out.

well sir, no two Halo 2 key grabbing conversations with India are the same, but to make a long story short...

rtoFvxAl.jpg

Mr Fish

Neo Member
Welcome, feel free to post it in here if you like mate. Where was your tourney, how many played etc?

If you have a bunch of videos perhaps make a new thread with a snappy title in gaming side. Smaller things are usually posted here and bigger stuffs get their own threads on gaming side. Just include details either why.

Congrats on holding a tournament! Solid community contribution, big or small.

Your first name better not be Phil, Mr. Fish ;) Fucking FEZ wanker that developer.

Congrats Tashi! Seattle here you come.

Ok cool, I'll go ahead and post it. Also, I am definitely not Phil Fish, so I'm definitely open to criticism on anything I create :p I would like to post a stand alone thread, especially since it seems like your fellow Halo-gafer Tashi got hired by 343i recently, so I don't want to detract anything from his success, BUT it seems like I don't have the ability to post my own threads just yet since I'm a mega-noob on this site (this marks my 3rd post). So that being said, here's some tournament videos and info about the tournament itself....

Recently I hosted a 2v2 Halo 4 tournament over at the GameFAQs site. People that participated came from GameFAQs, HaloWaypoint, Spartan1 Project, and Halo Tracker (vast majority from GameFAQs though). The tournament was double elimination style, and used i50 settings, which are slightly modified settings that are generally used in the European tournaments (no sprint, bullet magnetism reduction, auto-aim reduction, and a tighter BR spread). These settings make for a much more classic Halo feel than the settings currently offered by default. Players seemed to enjoy them a lot.

For the videos, since this was a 2v2 tournament, I attempted to sync up 2 PoV’s from the same team, so that you can see the team work in action. Most of the videos are SLIGHTLY off sync, but I don’t think it detracts from the experience all too much. The game on Abandon probably ended up as the most in-sync video amongst the 5 tournament videos.

For the loser's finals, the game 1 and game 2 videos were not submitted, but just know that the people playing in the PoV's are down 2-0 in a best of 5 series. Also, the grand finals were not recorded because one team just kind of gave up, and the videos were just not very fun to watch because of that unfortunately.

Loser's Semi Finals:
(Game 1: Onyx Slayer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUeD...st=PLhLmKJ2khMSkpHz1wPUej50TQj-z9PHJG&index=5
(Game 2: Dispatch CTF)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc6u...st=PLhLmKJ2khMSkpHz1wPUej50TQj-z9PHJG&index=4

Loser's Finals
(Game 3: Abandon Slayer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8kU...st=PLhLmKJ2khMSkpHz1wPUej50TQj-z9PHJG&index=3
(Game 4: Dispatch CTF)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTIE...st=PLhLmKJ2khMSkpHz1wPUej50TQj-z9PHJG&index=1
(Game 5: Haven Slayer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7UM...st=PLhLmKJ2khMSkpHz1wPUej50TQj-z9PHJG&index=2

So yea! Give the videos a watch if you could, and let me know what you think of them! I'm anxious for more feedback. Do you like the dual PoV? is it too much? does the slight out of sync ruin the experience? is the intro crap? Do you think the overlays are ok? etc. Let me know what you think!!!

Thanks to anyone that watches the videos! They were fun to make :)

Mistel

Banned
I'm guessing CSR is to blame but there is some severe lopsidedness in Heavies at the moment.
I'm not convinced it even works right mines either incredibly low at 33 or everyone else who has the same CSR is bad IDK :/. Not like I can check easily anyway.

Slightly Live is a good guy. I don't have a problem with Tashi getting hired but I have an issue with the circumstances behind it too. It really does seem as though if you are a Halo fan who lives in the right location and aim to please the people at 343 you can get a job. That seems slightly weird.

I would honestly rather it was someone who didn't champion Halo 4. Halo needs to change and I hope Tashi knows that but if 343 are hiring people who talk in pleasantries about them the games are probably going to continue to go down the same shitty path. If I worked at 343 right now I would be looking for an intelligently spoken... but outspoken person to come in, not someone who is going to be too chummy to say what needs to be said.

Slightly Live was putting in work for the community years ago, Halo 3 custom nights happened every weekend cos of the dude. He hasn't exactly shat on this community.

EDIT: Oh it depends what he's doing. If he has any design influence my post stands. If he is just doing cartographer stuff he deserves it.

Dub117

They had it for $40 not too long ago.
Ok i looked again, the card IS 40, the digital is 60. Didn't check that before. Wtf that is so stupid, good job retailers making me want to go digital. Fuck that i'm saving 20. On the same note, digital game purchases aren't going to get preorder bonuses in the future even though microsoft is trying to move this way. This all feels backward. Oh well

Nebula

Slightly Live was putting in work for the community years ago, Halo 3 custom nights happened every weekend cos of the dude. He hasn't exactly shat on this community.

Not to be a dick but if he was putting in work when Bungie were at the helm, 343 are probably not going to notice.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Very cool Mr Fish. I used to sync 4 POVs at once back in the Halo 3 days. Always thought it was interesting but tough to follow and not very practical. I think if maybe you showed both POVs very briefly, made one full screen for a bit and then switched back and forth throughout the match, the viewing experience would be better. A bit tougher to edit especially if you're going through and selecting the interesting parts of the gameplay for both players. Multi POV gameplays are also tough on the ears.

Welcome to HaloGAF.

Ghazi

Very cool Mr Fish. I used to sync 4 POVs at once back in the Halo 3 days. Always thought it was interesting but tough to follow and not very practical. I think if maybe you showed both POVs very briefly, made one full screen for a bit and then switched back and forth throughout the match, the viewing experience would be better. A bit tougher to edit especially if you're going through and selecting the interesting parts of the gameplay for both players. Multi POV gameplays are also tough on the ears.

Welcome to HaloGAF.

Why doesn't your tag say 343 industries yet?

Not to be a dick but if he was putting in work when Bungie were at the helm, 343 are probably not going to notice.

That wasn't my point, people are acting like all he has done is the book thing. He was putting an effort into this community years ago and did so for years.

Slightly Live is a good guy. I don't have a problem with Tashi getting hired but I have an issue with the circumstances behind it too. It really does seem as though if you are a Halo fan who lives in the right location and aim to please the people at 343 you can get a job. That seems slightly weird.

I would honestly rather it was someone who didn't champion Halo 4. Halo needs to change and I hope Tashi knows that but if 343 are hiring people who talk in pleasantries about them the games are probably going to continue to go down the same shitty path. If I worked at 343 right now I would be looking for an intelligently spoken... but outspoken person to come in, not someone who is going to be too chummy to say what needs to be said.

EDIT: Oh it depends what he's doing. If he has any design influence my post stands. If he is just doing cartographer stuff he deserves it.

Yup, I feel its a catch 22, can't get hired unless you still play the piece of shit. Can't fix it after because you're already a complacent yes-man if you do.

I want to give feedback, test the new game, and give ideas but I can't. I just cant say anything good about Halo 4. I can't play it anymore, I can't even watch that gameplay above its just so boring and shitty of a game, and the BR just blows out my ears god the sound of the BR is just awful. Like fucking how did this pass testing awful IMO.

Sucks but what can ya do? I don't go to PAX's I don't get flown out to studios, I don't get hired.

/salt.

Nebula

Vehicle sounds just randomly cut in and you can't even beep your horn for a good 20 seconds after starting the vehicle up.

Only person who deserves to be hired around here is
the CE Pistol.
..or me.
ExWife returns and doesn't even fucking say hi.
biggy posts a serious comment and doesn't mention how Karl is still an idiot.
OddOne doesn't make an infographic about any of this.
Nebula complains about someone else complaining even though he complains on an hourly basis.
People begging for an exact remake of Halo 2's multiplayer even though that would be a huge mistake given the improvements/additions made since then.
Not one single Jurassic Park gif from Stormtrooper.

wtf. You all suck. Eat a duck. Cluck cluck.
And yes the bolded statement is serious.

343 hire Wahrer and Prinz Eugn as Concept Artists.

Next Juices as MP tester, than promote him to lead baby mp designer. Also Henry, holy shit don't forget about him!

Fubas is next in line for the Definitive Editions to all Halo games. Bcuz screw just making one affordable Editions!

Let's not forget Jelly Crackers as Co-Composer

Following Stalker and Juan creating Halo 5,6, &7's UI.

And Please whatever you do don't invite GreenSkull to another Halo MP test just to suggest ADS in any installment!

Mr Fish

Neo Member

Welcome to HaloGAF.

That's actually a really good tip. I'm very new to video editing, but I'm up to the challenge of learning the ropes. So next time I'll possibly give that a shot. Thanks for the criticism!

Karl2177

I'm trying to think of redeeming factors in Halo 4, in comparison to previous games, I can't think of any...

Even if I'm not a fan of Halo 4 or its art style, I can still acknowledge that the graphics are far better than any of the other games. Yeah, it comes at the expense of the framerate at times, but there isn't any question that they are better looking. Also H4 has much better AA, especially when compared to Halo 3's jaggies.

u4iX

H2A actually could use changes to MP...

• Soft kill zones to super bounce areas
  • Sword ammo
  • Plasma Pistol tracking reduction
  • Melee lunge reduction
  • Improvements to netcode improving things like shotgun registration

They are minor changes compared to tweaks I would make to Halo 4, but Halo 2 certainly is not the flawless pit of perfection people think about in episodic plagues of nostalgia.

I'm trying to think of redeeming factors in Halo 4, in comparison to previous games, I can't think of any...

Graphics, better forge, better net-coding, best color options.

Guess if you kiss ass well enough for long enough you'll be given a job

Bullshit.

EDIT: Phil Spencer responded to me in a minute, fuck you guys I'm out of HaloGAF. #HireSpeedy gets started now!

I'm not actually close to being qualified for anything

Ghazi

Even if I'm not a fan of Halo 4 or its art style, I can still acknowledge that the graphics are far better than any of the other games. Yeah, it comes at the expense of the framerate at times, but there isn't any question that they are better looking. Also H4 has much better AA, especially when compared to Halo 3's jaggies.

Top notch animation. For real. Look at those faces.

Oh of course, no doubt. Unfortunately, like you said Karl, the framerate (especially in Campaign and Spartan Ops) gets horrendous at times.

That said, I was thinking along the lines of gameplay and systems changes, in comparison to previous games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom