• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebula

Nebula complains about someone else complaining even though he complains on an hourly basis.

<3

Not sure how calling him salty is complaining about him complaining but if you want to stretch for that, go ahead.

Going by what we got in CEA, I'm sure H2A will just be a graphical update with all the under the hood stuff remaining the same. Asking for changes that improve it gameplay wise removes the fact that it's meant to be Halo 2. They should really be giving us a better, more improved Halo with the next installment in the franchise, not a remaster/remake/HD version.

Still want theater though.

belushy

Banned
343 hire Wahrer and Prinz Eugn as Concept Artists.

Next Juices as MP tester, than promote him to lead baby mp designer. Also Henry, holy shit don't forget about him!

Fubas is next in line for the Definitive Editions to all Halo games. Bcuz screw just making one affordable Editions!

Let's not forget Jelly Crackers as Co-Composer

Following Stalker and Juan creating Halo 5,6, &7's UI.

And Please whatever you do don't invite GreenSkull to another Halo MP test just to suggest ADS in any installment!

Gabo as official gametype designer.

And omg Murder Miners on PC.

Chettlar

Banned
amR08I6.jpg%3F1

It all makes sense now.

TheXbox

That said, I was thinking along the lines of gameplay and systems changes, in comparison to previous games.
There are a couple things from Reach like Armor Abilities which were shite in that game and slightly more tolerable in Halo 4, but other than that I seriously cannot think of anything.

Duji

I'm trying to think of redeeming factors in Halo 4, in comparison to previous games, I can't think of any...

Things H4 does better than any other Halo game:
Graphics, netcode, hit/miss feedback (hit markers + shield effects), and weapon indicators

Other good aspects:
Fairly consistent utility rifles (spread & bloom are very minimal), movement speed (after Turbo came out), thruster pack, and sticky detonator trolling.

The only thing that concerns me about Tashi's hiring is that he really enjoyed Reach. Ain't nobody got time for that. What do you get if you subtract Reach and Halo 4 from Halo? Halo:CE, Halo 2, and Halo 3!!! BOOM
haha grats, Tashi
Not bad not bad Mr. Cyren. Not everyone thought it was a great map, but I enjoyed playing the crap out of construct. Some nostalgia moments for sure.

People begging for an exact remake of Halo 2's multiplayer even though that would be a huge mistake given the improvements/additions made since then.

Nah. People's ideas of good improvements/additions are WAY too different. I think the sword should have ammo, melee range should be reduced, aim assist reduced (lol plasma pistol), etc, but not everyone is going to agree.

Imagine if CEA had real multiplayer and 343 "improved" it by making the pistol hitscan? Because hitscan was a large "improvement"

Seriously? Just because Phil Fish is a human being who says stuff which is on his mind in public, you hate him? And please do your fucking research before claiming you want your $5 back for one of the most beautiful looking video games with one of the greatest OST of all time because FEZ is not solely developed by Phil Fish. Idiots are everywhere. Idiots with shitty opinions are at 343i, too.

Btw. are you one of the guys who think video games are art?

Mistakes a couple of times are human error but repeated social and public forum missteps are just being an outright arrogant insular sociopath. Nintendo have been cranking top quality games for eons (still do today, you know modern Japanese games), Japanese arcades would like a word with you Phil, they still innovate and drive the birthplace of video games today as well. Would you like more examples?

Sure a guy who says all Japanese games are shit and Japanese developers don't know how to make games at a games conference should be allowed to continue to take a massive dump on the rest of the industry. Why, because he has one successful Indie game? Please.

How about telling a fan to commit suicide or telling them to choke on his dick? There is a laundry list of things I could go on about, I suggest you do your homework on what being a reasonable and accountable human being is. That's not even getting into being a positive development force or Indie role model within the gaming industry.

"I take the money and run"...because I can't lie in the bed I shit in any more, sounds like a great guy. I'm sure the game itself is great, despite Phil actions/comments. However I'm positive the others he co-created the game with and were making FEZ 2 with think he's a top bloke /sarcasm. As for me I wish I had never given that asshat Phil or Steam the $5 bucks when FEZ was on sale, that's was my quip and my human error. Please you have zero defence for this fuckwit.

As for video games being art? Not really, I tend to think of them in their own right e.g. a simulation. I guess that's the best word for it. Art I think of static things and I don't like the term interactive art personally. Simulation is more akin to what goes into a game engine e.g. AI, physics, interactivity, art is in there somewhere (but it's a sub-piece of the game only). So although I totally agree with art awards for video games I don't think of them as art as a whole.

I'm trying to think of redeeming factors in Halo 4, in comparison to previous games, I can't think of any...

Bullshit (do I really have to do this again?):

1. CGI quality
  2. Terminals are damned good
  3. OST 1 & 2
  4. Best sustain and output rate of any Halo multiplayer (not in the first months, obviously)
  5. Voting polls for gametypes into matchmaing, again quick turnaround
  6. 720p, finally
  7. Facial & mocap
  8. Turbo update
  9. Ricochet (Pitfall) & Bowl
  10. Forge Island
  11. Majestic & Castle DLC (most of those maps are good to great, pity we don't get to play them).
  12. Global Championships
  13. Forward Unto Dawn

TheXbox

Graphics, netcode, hit/miss feedback (hit markers + shield effects), and weapon indicators

Other good aspects:
Fairly consistent utility rifles (spread & bloom are very minimal), movement speed (after Turbo came out), thruster pack, and sticky detonator trolling.
Netcode was better in Reach, hit markers are dumb and Reach also had better shield effects. Utility weapons may have been consistent but they were not balanced. (that DMR)

H2A actually could use changes to MP...

• Soft kill zones to super bounce areas
  • Sword ammo
  • Plasma Pistol tracking reduction
  • Melee lunge reduction
  • Improvements to netcode improving things like shotgun registration

They are minor changes compared to tweaks I would make to Halo 4, but Halo 2 certainly is not the flawless pit of perfection people think about in episodic plagues of nostalgia.
Flawed pit of poopy Halo 2 is still better than flawless halo 4, though.
anchorman_2_am_i_right-57539.gif

Seriously, though, you are right on with the corrections. But, do you keep the button glitches or get rid of them? BXR BXB (&#9583;°&#9633;°)&#9583;&#65077; &#9531;&#9473;&#9531; As much as people enjoyed using them, I'd hope they get removed.

Chettlar

Banned
Just some comments:

1. CGI quality It was cool, but I really didn't care about it. Prologue was cool though
  2. Terminals are damned good Decent, but not near as good as CEA, and as they were necessary to know what the heck was going on, that's a mark against them and their implementation. IOW, they may be great, but I shouldn't have to search for them to understand what is going on.
  3. OST 1 & 2 OST really isn't the best out there. Not bad, just not especially good except for electronic effects.
  4. Best sustain and output rate of any Halo multiplayer (not in the first months, obviously)
  6. 720p, finally don't forget AA as well, but while it was finally 720p, which was a godsend, it came at the compromise of draw distances (especially in splitscreen), and worst of all frame rate.
  7. Facial & mocap
  8. Turbo update
  10. Forge Island is worse and smaller than Forge Island.
  11. Global Championships
  12. Forward Unto Dawn is not a part of the game...or what are you referring to exactly?

u4iX

Flawed pit of poopy Halo 2 is still better than flawless halo 4, though.
anchorman_2_am_i_right-57539.gif

Seriously, though, you are right on with the corrections. But, do you keep the button glitches or get rid of them? BXR BXB (&#9583;°&#9633;°)&#9583;&#65077; &#9531;&#9473;&#9531; As much as people enjoyed using them, I'd hope they get removed.

Depends on if they tweak the sword.

If they leave the sword as is, leaving it with infinite ammo, the button glitches actually serve as a nice counter to what would be a very unstoppable weapon.

If they tweak the sword, I would miss the button glitches, but I would understand the rationale.

SpartanN92

Banned

1. CGI quality
  3. OST 1 & 2
  6. 720p, finally
  7. Facial & mocap
  8. Turbo update
  10. Forge Island
  11. Majestic & Castle DLC (most of those maps are good to great, pity we don't get to play them).
  12. Global Championships
  13. Forward Unto Dawn

Not to mention a heartbreaking ending (The FEEEEEEEEEEEELS!!!!!)

To me the emotional connection between Chief and Cortana, turning Chief into a human being is Halo 4's greatest strength and I applaud 343 for it.

Blueblur1

H2A actually could use changes to MP...

• Soft kill zones to super bounce areas
  • Sword ammo
  • Plasma Pistol tracking reduction
  • Melee lunge reduction
  • Improvements to netcode improving things like shotgun registration

They are minor changes compared to tweaks I would make to Halo 4, but Halo 2 certainly is not the flawless pit of perfection people think about in episodic plagues of nostalgia.

I was trying to suggest useful and doable changes like this the other day. In response all I got was "I want Saved Films, Forge, etc" none of which are probably easily doable and realistic.

Fracas

#fuckonami

1. CGI quality
  3. OST 1 & 2
  6. 720p, finally
  7. Facial & mocap
  8. Turbo update
  10. Forge Island
  12. Global Championships
  13. Forward Unto Dawn
So everything but the actual game.

Chettlar

Banned

To me the emotional connection between Chief and Cortana, turning Chief into a human being is Halo 4's greatest strength and I applaud 343 for it.

I applaud them for the effort. The writing wasn't the best. I've gone over that several times though already and I really don't feel like going into it again.

ElRenoRaven

Seriously though once somebody pointed out the space diaper to me I couldn't not see it. Eugh.

Yea you can't unsee it after that. I admit it was one of my nitpicks about Chief's redesign. While I think he still looks weird without it though I've learned to deal. Thrusters on his back though I haven't. Those are just way to damn big.

Depends on if they tweak the sword.

If they leave the sword as is, leaving it with infinite ammo, the button glitches actually serve as a nice counter to what would be a very unstoppable weapon.

If they tweak the sword, I would miss the button glitches, but I would understand the rationale.
Yeah, that makes sense. Both ways would serve a purpose and I would be fine with that.

I was trying to suggest useful and doable changes like this the other day. In response all I got was "I want Saved Films, Forge, etc" none of which are probably easily doable and realistic.
I'm to the point where with as much effort and resources are needed to make forge work, and seeing as how forge has only been semi-successful, I'd rather 343 just scrap forge and work on some tight maps and game-play. I probably should go take cover now, lol. Only forge map ive ever truly enjoyed was kingdom.

Same for me, even the Composer bits were really well executed as was the latter parts of the SPOPS CGI, loved it.

So everything but the actual game.

I think you gloss over the turbo update and sustain too easily, there is a fuckton of updates there with far more hits than misses. Look at the weapon tuning, look at the playlist sustain and look at the community involvement. If you don't see a very marked difference between 4's launch and 4's current delivered content/gameplay then I don't know what to tell you.

Again last night jump on, in a full party for BTB and later some 5 man CTF, and it's a total blast most games. I don't get the hate, sure it's not taking me back to what I love the most, such as bomb or 1-flag in Halo 2/3, but it's damned good, very good in fact. Not hated by me at all.

Anyhow each to their own.

Chettlar

Banned
Yea you can't unsee it after that. I admit it was one of my nitpicks about Chief's redesign. While I think he still looks weird without it though I've learned to deal. Thrusters on his back though I haven't. Those are just way to damn big.

I really don't know how I'd fix the former issue. I guess I can live with 343's decision right now.

The thrusters are too big yeah, but overall I like the redesign. I really like the helmet.

SpartanN92

Banned
I applaud them for the effort. The writing wasn't the best. I've gone over that several times though already and I really don't feel like going into it again.

Yeah but the writing wasn't the important part...It was what I felt during that was important (The music helped). There was a visual metaphor that was used which was wonderful!!! The part where Cortana says "Welcome home John." and he says "Wait!"...You see Cortana fade away and the Hardlight shield shatter (and didacts ship breaks as well). Brilliant metaphor for Master Chief's world is falling around him.

I may love a person but I suck at telling them that...Doesn't change how I feel... You dig?

Caayn

Am I the only one who thinks that it's funny that the person who keeps defending every aspect of Halo 4 also happens to be a waypoint mod?

Ghazi

Please you have zero defence for this fuckwit.

1. CGI quality
  3. OST 1 & 2
    [*]Voting polls for gametypes into matchmaing, again quick turnaround
  5. 720p, finally
  6. Facial & mocap
    [*]Turbo update
    [*]Ricochet (Pitfall) & Bowl
    [*]Forge Island

[*]Majestic & Castle DLC (most of those maps are good to great, pity we don't get to play them).
  7. Global Championships
  8. Forward Unto Dawn
Bullshit? I already clarified I was talking about gameplay changes. Which a good number of people responded with some fairly good things that told me what I am forgetting. I don't care about graphics, Campaign, SpOps, and other media we've been over.

Forge Island and maps were good, haven't played Ricochet (I did not buy Champions bundle), Turbo was very good, but should've been the game at launch; voting options were nice and sustain was very good, I agree.

Other good aspects:
I didn't like the hit markers, but I did like shield effects. Netcode was good as well. I hated grenade indicators as well, and weapon indicators were good, now if only they had been on static spawns to begin with.
There are a couple things from Reach like Armor Abilities which were shite in that game and slightly more tolerable in Halo 4, but other than that I seriously cannot think of anything.
I think AAs were made much worse in 4 (in combination with the perks), only best change was removal of Armor Lock.

That said, I do love me some Thruster.
I liked the jump height.
YES YES YES!

I felt it was really floaty in 3, and way too weak in Reach. 4's was pretty good, and I'm happy about that.

Chettlar

Banned
Yeah but the writing wasn't the important part...It was what I felt during that was important (The music helped). There was a visual metaphor that was used which was wonderful!!! The part where Cortana says "Welcome home John." and he says "Wait!"...You see Cortana fade away and the Hardlight shield shatter (and didacts ship breaks as well). Brilliant metaphor for Master Chief's world is falling around him.

I may love a person but I suck at telling them that...Doesn't change how I feel... You dig?

I can dig it. Honestly, there were a lot of really good ideas in that game, and I thought it was really cool that they explored that (especially Stinkles's comment in here earlier about that scene being a lot about "reality."). It's just there were several things that jarred the experience, like the writing.

And Davidge's musical talent is not all that great. He does a great job of mixing and using electric sounds, but he doesn't seem to get music very well.

I've had a number of people tell me Green and Blue (the song during that scene) is a masterpiece. It's not. It's really not.

Am I the only one who thinks that it's funny that the person who keeps defending every aspect of Halo 4 also happens to be a waypoint mod?

So some positive points = every aspect. Ok I understand your logic better now.

As for being a mod and liking the game they have no connection. If you actually followed my or other mods posts at Waypoint you'll see I am critical of aspects of the game e.g. not having arena at launch or not having assault & 1-sided OBJ or not having in game rank or Forgers not being happy (I don't use Forge so I can speak intelligently here but I understand what is missing for Forgers). Actually many of them were expressed on Waypoint by me before I was invited to moderate or the game even released. I was invited to become a mod because I'm mature, understand there are many fans and ways to play Halo, I'm welcoming to differing points of view and I managed the pre-release sticky topic for Halo 4 that had over 150K views. I continue to do those things whether I'm a mod or not.

By all means continue your ignorant comments in the face of the truth though.

Ghazi

Turbo update is bad. A lot of good changes were made to matchmaking over time but that was not one of them.

I'd be interested to hear why. The DMR nerf may have been the best thing to happen to the game, I don't remember much else aside from movement speed buff though

gaming_noob

I'm stuck on Reclaimer on Legendary where the mammoth is shot down by the covenant ship. There's no green beam to allow me to hover up into the covenant ship! I've replayed this level multiple times and I read that I'm supposed to wait until the mammoth stops before shooting down that mechanical orb thing. WTF why isn't this fixed yet??

I'm stuck on Reclaimer on Legendary where the mammoth is shot down by the covenant ship. There's no green beam to allow me to hover up into the covenant ship! I've replayed this level multiple times and I read that I'm supposed to wait until the mammoth stops before shooting down that mechanical orb thing. WTF why isn't this fixed yet??

I'm in the same boat mate. I've tried that level 3 times on legendary and had it glitch just like that 3 times. I would like to finish legendary solo but I can't do it any more either. I tried clearing xbox cache, I tried reinstalling to HDD and nothing worked. A friend told me to play coop and have a friend start/host the game and then play it through that way? I haven't bothered with that yet.

Mistel

Banned
You can jetpack into the lich I think without the grav lift but I've not played that level in over a year. Reclaimer is all kinds of broken.

I found a GIF that summaries 4 nicely:
p4UvDjW.gif

I'm in the same boat mate. I've tried that level 3 times on legendary and had it glitch just like that 3 times. I would like to finish legendary solo but I can't do it any more either. I tried clearing xbox cache, I tried reinstalling to HDD and nothing worked. A friend told me to play coop and have a friend start/host the game and then play it through that way? I haven't bothered with that yet.
Um guys. Just use your Jetpack and get to the highest peak of a rock then get in.

Or glitch the Lich right before you use the Designator and Destroy that Giant Anti-Air Forerunner Gun. Once you're near the spawn point of the lich at the cliff you can jetpack aboard the ship and finish your objective.

Nebula

I'm sorry but buffing the damage of weapons across the board just to counter sprint is a horrid decision. They knew what the issue was and refused to address it. Now we have guns with aim assist up the wazoo killing incredibly quick.

Caayn

So some positive points = every aspect. Ok I understand your logic better now.
I wasn't just talking about your post on the previous page. I've never seen you posting anything negative about Halo 4 on here, I'm not talking about waypoint or what other waypoint mods supposedly do. So I just connected the two dots, as unrelated as they may be in your eyes.

By all means continue your ignorant comments in the face of the truth though.
Wait didn't you just said that you were selected because you were "mature"?

Um guys. Just use your Jetpack and get to the highest peak of a rock then get in.

Or glitch the Lich right before you use the Designator and Destroy that Giant Anti-Air Forerunner Gun. Once you're near the spawn point of the lich at the cliff you can jetpack aboard the ship and finish your objective.

Nice, I'll give that a bash tonight and see if it solves it.

I wasn't just talking about your post on the previous page. I've never seen you posting anything negative about Halo 4 on here, I'm not talking about waypoint or what other waypoint mods supposedly do. So I just connected the two dots, as unrelated as they may be in your eyes.

Weird, then you haven't been here for very long or your reading assimilation isn't up to scratch. I just re-posted a few things I don't like, feel free to search my 1,000's of posts here or Waypoint if you like. Yes they are unrelated, we have mods that don't like Halo 4 at all, shocker. Once again that is the truth, what you do with it is up to you mate. I'd never be so immature to post the mods names with respect to this matter. Mods are just fans with the same variations in likes/dislikes of games, mechanics, maps and all that. This scapegoat mentality of mods is total BS and misplaced at best.

Wait didn't you just said that you were selected because you were "mature"?

Ok last reply on this we're shitting up the thread now. Honestly read what I wrote, it's mature as fuck.

Caayn

Weird, then you haven't been here for very long or your reading assimilation isn't up to scratch. I just re-posted a few things I don't like, feel free to search my 1,000's of posts here or Waypoint if you like. Yes they are unrelated, we have mods that don't like Halo 4 at all, shocker. Once again that is the truth, what you do with it is up to you mate. I'd never be so immature to post the mods names with respect to this matter. Mods are just fans with the same variations in likes/dislikes of games, mechanics, maps and all that. This scapegoat mentality of mods is total BS and misplaced at best.
Just saying how I see/experience things. You're free to think otherwise of course, we live in a free world after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom