• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaming_noob

Um guys. Just use your Jetpack and get to the highest peak of a rock then get in.

Or glitch the Lich right before you use the Designator and Destroy that Giant Anti-Air Forerunner Gun. Once you're near the spawn point of the lich at the cliff you can jetpack aboard the ship and finish your objective.

I just tried this and it didn't work. The highest point is to the right of the convent, but the jet pack doesn't last long enough for me to reach on top of the ship. Is there a youtube video of this?

I just found a youtube video. The convenant ship in my game never hovers as low as the youtube video shows. It's impossible to jet pack up there with my copy.

I just tried this and it didn't work. The highest point is to the right of the convent, but the jet pack doesn't last long enough for me to reach on top of the ship. Is there a youtube video of this?

I just found a youtube video. The convenant ship in my game never hovers as low as the youtube video shows. It's impossible to jet pack up there with my copy.
If you can't do it that way..
Than try this.

gAg CruSh3r

Heckfu pledged money to a kickstarter by slightly live for some halo book. He's had nothing and rightly complained and that's pretty much it.

Back in 2012 or something, the ForwardUntoDawn crew started a kickstarter project for a Halo Community book. (A book about the Halo community if it isn't clear enough) A lot of us pledged $75+ because it is a great idea. Book was promised for 2013. I still have no real clue why it got delayed that much.

Well damn, I'm sorry guys. I hope everything gets worked out or something. Thanks for the drama info.

blamite

I'd be interested to hear why. The DMR nerf may have been the best thing to happen to the game, I don't remember much else aside from movement speed buff though
I don't feel like writing up too much about this since it's kind of hard for me to care enough about Halo 4, so sorry if I gloss over some things or if this is badly put together. I don't feel like spending too much effort writing about a game I literally could not care less about.

My main issues are the movement speed increase, The automatic weapon changes, and the Warthog/Mantis machine gun buff.

First off is the speed increase, which seems like a pointless appeal to fans of AGL/MLG/whatever fans without taking into consideration why those groups use 110% in the first place. It's fine to have that movement speed on some of the larger maps, but on, say, Abandon? Combined with Sprint/Thruster/everything else? It's just too fast. Being able to get from one side of the map to the other, from one team's spawn to the other that fast? It's just not what was intended by the map designs, whch semed really obvious to me after playing for a while. Plus, combined with the automatic weapon aim assist reduction it makes melee combat much more frustrating with those weapons (and even with an other weapon). As someone who uses the default 3 sensitivity in every game, the Turbo update made me feel like I'd have to go up to 5 or 6 if I wanted to keep up. It was annoying.

The automatic weapon changes were pretty frustrating too. I'm not the kind of player ho runs around spraying people with the AR all the time, but I do like to use the plasma rifle from time to time, and turbo made that a lot less fun. Obviously the intent was to make automatics require more skill to use (except for, apparently the SAW, which now requires none whatsoever) but the way they went about it just seemed to make it harder to use. On the other hand, buffing the SAW made no sense, as it was already fairly powerful, and fit in with the rest of the power weapons as well as it was ever going to. But apparatly because the AR's bullet strength was increased, the SAW's had to be too? Because it had to be exactly twice as strong as the AR, regardless of what that actually meant? That's an absolutely terrible way to determine a weapon's power. You can't just balance it against one single other weapon, its impact needs to be considered against the entire sandbox. But 343 didn't think so, and the SAW became far more powerful than any aim assist reduction applied to it could account for. Bad logic got bad results.

I don't care to go into much detail on the vehicle changes, as a 35% damage increase kind of speaks for itself. That's an absolutely massive change, and much more than was actually needed. Check out this presentation by Jamie Griesemer for some isight on weapon balancing.

I will say that the DMR nerf was definitely an improvement and the carbine buff was nice, although it didn'tdo much to make the gun any more desirable to use. The Lightrifle buff was probably alright too although really nobody cares about that thing so who cares.

Obviously the biggest thing was making the BR a 4-shot kill. I think this as probably a bad idea. The pace of the game changed drastically because of it, and I don't think it was a change for the better. It's hard for me to say though because this was probably a result of the movement increase as much as anything else. I don't think that the 4 shot kill would have worked with 100% movement though so the whole thing seems like a case of breaking things and then breaking other things to fix them (like with perks, AAs, etc) so personally I wouldn't have changed either of the two.

If I had been in charge of Turbo I would have just gone with the carbine and lightrifle buffs, DMR and Sticky Det nerf, and I guess buffing pulse grenades something worth caring about. Oh and FINALLY reduce Beam Rifle autoaim like 343 said they were going to do but gave up on. But then I wouldn't have been able to spin it into some kind of big "event" and fly out Tashi and Greenskull to blow me on my Twitch channel so

Tawpgun

Bullshit (do I really have to do this again?):

1. CGI quality
  2. Terminals are damned good
  3. OST 1 & 2
  4. Best sustain and output rate of any Halo multiplayer (not in the first months, obviously)
  5. Voting polls for gametypes into matchmaing, again quick turnaround
  6. 720p, finally
  7. Facial & mocap
  8. Turbo update
  9. Ricochet (Pitfall) & Bowl
  10. Forge Island
  11. Majestic & Castle DLC (most of those maps are good to great, pity we don't get to play them).
  12. Global Championships
  13. Forward Unto Dawn

I'm gonna be as honest and fair as I can here. Ignoring the aspects that didn't have an impact on the game.

1. Cgi, yeah I guess it was cool looking? Don't understand why it was needed in campaign but whatever. Spartan ops cg was entertaining.
2. No. The terminals were all story that should have been in the game. I think even 343 admitted this. To make matters worse you have to go on waypoint to even watch them. The terminals were NOT damn good.
3. The soundtrack to this game, at least for me, was largely forgettable. This was due in part to poor mixing and implementation in game. I liked maybe 2-3 songs.
4. Sources needed. It'd be interesting to compare the sustain rates of different games. But they did ramp up in the latter half of the game, especially when bravo was hired.
5. This was fine.
6. This is good. Was reach not 720?
7. Reach did this already. I need to see this side by side I didn't play it and think WOW look how better the mocap is.
8. Turbo was the best thing they did to this game. Great update. Took forever to come out though.
9. Ricochet is so gooooood I love it. Favorite non traditional gametype. What's bowl?
10. Forge island was solid. Wish they gave us a better pallete. Can't complain about free.
11. Majestic was good. Castle, not so much. "Functionally symmetrical!"
12. Global championships were done pretty well, props.
13. Had no impact on the game. Even the chief meeting lasky again was very disappointing in the way it was so nonchalant.

Ramirez

What is slurping?

HAGITYx.gif

Slightly Live is a good guy. I don't have a problem with Tashi getting hired but I have an issue with the circumstances behind it too. It really does seem as though if you are a Halo fan who lives in the right location and aim to please the people at 343 you can get a job. That seems slightly weird.
Tashi lived on the east coast, 343i is in Seattle, he's literally travelling across the country for this job. That has nothing to do with living in the right location.

I would honestly rather it was someone who didn't champion Halo 4. Halo needs to change and I hope Tashi knows that but if 343 are hiring people who talk in pleasantries about them the games are probably going to continue to go down the same shitty path. If I worked at 343 right now I would be looking for an intelligently spoken... but outspoken person to come in, not someone who is going to be too chummy to say what needs to be said.
Tashi is the guy behind Doubles Pro in Halo 4 and has been championing BR starts, no radar and and symmetrical maps from the get go. He even outright stated that his least favorite gametype was Infinity Slayer when he was the Halo Waypoint Community Member of the Week. Tashi's roots and preferences are firmly planted in OG Halo, just because he's a nice guy doesn't mean he's a pushover.

Slightly Live was putting in work for the community years ago, Halo 3 custom nights happened every weekend cos of the dude. He hasn't exactly shat on this community.
I don't recall anyone saying he shat on the community, people are just calling him out over a pretty rude comment.

EDIT: Oh it depends what he's doing. If he has any design influence my post stands. If he is just doing cartographer stuff he deserves it.
I don't know what his position is, but it probably has nothing to do with design.

That wasn't my point, people are acting like all he has done is the book thing. He was putting an effort into this community years ago and did so for years.
No one said that at all. The book thing was brought up simply to stir up some shit, but that doesn't excuse Dani's comment either.

Bold for responses.
I'm gonna be as honest and fair as I can here. Ignoring the aspects that didn't have an impact on the game.

1. Cgi, yeah I guess it was cool looking? Don't understand why it was needed in campaign but whatever. Spartan ops cg was entertaining.
Considering the FUD and TV show I'd suggest this was two fold; experience/talent/partner development and to really bring Halo into movie style mode. It would be nice to have the best of both world, basically the latter parts of SPOPS with the in game customised character fleshed out to be half to equal amount of time with the CGI would be cool with me.

2. No. The terminals were all story that should have been in the game. I think even 343 admitted this. To make matters worse you have to go on waypoint to even watch them. The terminals were NOT damn good.
343i stated the terminals weren't finished in time and they were always supposed to be in game. I seem to recall Frankie posting about that being a downer. I agree with the criticism here. I really enjoyed the lore elements of the terminals, that's the part that was damn good for me.

3. The soundtrack to this game, at least for me, was largely forgettable. This was due in part to poor mixing and implementation in game. I liked maybe 2-3 songs.
Agreed in game, I also posted and keep posting how mixing sliders should be part of the game e.g. effects, voice, music. In terms of marketing the Halo 4 game the OST remix contest was really sweet as were the actual music created in both OSTs, I prefer OST2. Monks should 100% come back, the ones from the first Halo 4 reveal trailer at the end please, best ones yet.

4. Sources needed. It'd be interesting to compare the sustain rates of different games. But they did ramp up in the latter half of the game, especially when bravo was hired.
No need for a source, name one previous Halo game that sustained weekly or fortnightly matchmaking updates? Halo 4 is it mate, best yet hands down. Another launch vs. now scenario indeed.

5. This was fine.
Yep, solid work and real resources investment, too many forget the business logistics of updates post game release.

6. This is good. Was reach not 720?
I don't think so, it was increased over Halo 3 but still wasn't 720p. It was another Bungie custom resolution and not far off 720p, source

7. Reach did this already. I need to see this side by side I didn't play it and think WOW look how better the mocap is.
Reach's face models and animations were far better than 3's but still not leading stuff compared to the other best games going at the time. Halo 4 became the leader here, not the follower for a nice change of pace and on very old hardware too. Thanks in part to the new studio mocap/facial facilities, I'm really curious how good this is going to be with HX1. Just watch the cutscenes on YT to compare.

8. Turbo was the best thing they did to this game. Great update. Took forever to come out though.
Agreed on both fronts, I don't think they had a build ready for the TU side of things due to the nature of their development and launch decisions. It was great to see them reinvest in balance across the player base with the TU.

9. Ricochet is so gooooood I love it. Favorite non traditional gametype. What's bowl?
Agree, Bowl is the Super Bowl gametype they had during the NFL superbowl weekend. It was really fun with touchdowns only, fixed loadouts, transparent walls and odd angular walls with a death zone box map. When teams matched up it was quite competitive and difficult to score. Out of 6 or so games I got in with mates we all thoroughly enjoyed it, competitive and casuals alike. When the teams didn't match up 50k and 10d was not unusual though.

10. Forge island was solid. Wish they gave us a better pallete. Can't complain about free.
Agreed, I'm so surprised out of the initial maps for forging they didn't have one totally flat. Live and learn. Also sell a PC editor or bring in Project Spark please.

11. Majestic was good. Castle, not so much. "Functionally symmetrical!"
I think I liked 2 out of each of those map packs and basically zero out of Crimson. I just want to get to play more Perdition, Monolith, Skyline & Daybreak. Landfall was pretty good to I suppose but I've hardly played it.

12. Global championships were done pretty well, props.
Shit yeah, more of this please and the live streaming of the finals was A-grade.

13. Had no impact on the game. Even the chief meeting lasky again was very disappointing in the way it was so nonchalant.
Good point, I think Lasky's meet up could have been more impacting. Also when the whole of Infinity saw John that should have been a holy shit moment.

I don't feel like writing up too much about this since it's kind of hard for me to care enough about Halo 4, so sorry if I gloss over some things or if this is badly put together. I don't feel like spending too much effort writing about a game I literally could not care less about.

[megapost]
Weird.

They did kind of cudgel the balancing but it was still an improvement over base Halo 4. Faster Halo is pretty okay with me, and harder melee kills I think are hardly worth complaining about. The huge damage boost for vehicles is fine because at least as a driver you will now get a kill or two before before being frozen and stuck by six plasma nades. Turbo's only real problem is the SAW, which even so is fortunately less common now that Infinity gametypes are rarer.

Weird.

They did kind of cudgel the balancing but it was still an improvement over base Halo 4. Faster Halo is pretty okay with me, and harder melee kills I think are hardly worth complaining about. The huge damage boost for vehicles is fine because at least as a driver you will now get a kill or two before before being frozen and stuck by six plasma nades. Turbo's only real problem is the SAW, which even so is fortunately less common now that Infinity gametypes are rarer.

Same Halo as always, get in parties then control the voting to play what you want. Player toggles would give everyone better dynamic vote variants and matchmaking experiences.

nillapuddin

Because Vista's maps weren't redone.

unless you're assuming that they'd just port them over straight?

I do not pretend to know anything about how the maps are made, but Im assuming there is a folder out there on someones computer "../poop/halo2/maps/" that has the OG wireframes and modeling structure

part1: IF they are going to redo the Halo 2 maps, What is the likelihood that they would reproduce it like that, vs recreate it in an entirely (modeling program, engine) based on those measurements

part2: wouldnt that leave out the Anniversary-esque fixes/alterations that CA did to the Halo CE maps? (which in my opinion, were fantastic across the board)

Chettlar

Banned
I do not pretend to know anything about how the maps are made, but Im assuming there is a folder out there on someones computer "../poop/halo2/maps/" that has the OG wireframes and modeling structure

part1: IF they are going to redo the Halo 2 maps, What is the likelihood that they would reproduce it like that, vs recreate it in an entirely (modeling program, engine) based on those measurements

part2: wouldnt that leave out the Anniversary-esque fixes/alterations that CA did to the Halo CE maps? (which in my opinion, were fantastic across the board)

See that's something I think people forget. Some of the maps that were in both CE and 2 have already been remastered. I mean, they might need some more fixing up to fit with the entire H2Anniversary aesthetic, but most of the dirty work is already done.

Chettlar

Banned
The amount of internet connection required to play Halo 4 to its full extent is absolutely shitty, shocking, and disgraceful.

You have:

Terminals. It's practically hopeless to understand the story of the game without these unless you know all the lore and everything behind it.* Having to connect to Waypoint is silly and unnecessary. 343 REALLY needs to patch that in an update.

Spartan Ops. SpOps should be playable offline, both in single player and in split screen, just like all other game modes, like campaign, firefight, and even multiplayer (via custom games). The only reason I should connect to the internet is to download the levels in the first place.

If it needs to be connected to the internet because of the CG cutscenes, then why not just let me have the option to download SpOps like any normal DLC expansion? I've got the space on my HDD, so there is no reason I shouldn't be able to do that. If I didn't, then yeah, sure, the internet would be useful. But at least give me that option.

And even though this is not necessarily internet required, it's so badly implemented, you pretty much have to get on the internet and google how to do it:

System link play (and LAN play for that matter). If your system for playing System-link makes players have to check the internet to understand how to use it, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. I still don't really know how to play a System-link game, and me and some friends have tried multiple times. In Halo 3 it was as simple as connecting the two consoles together and then boom, there you go. Why you need to make a mock network or something like that (I don't even understand that) I will never understand. Why can't this work as simply and quickly and easily as Halo 3? Why is the game telling me I have to connect to a network, when by very nature of being system link there is NO NETWORK?!?!

What's even worse is that most of these require a Gold subscription to play, even though they don't necessarily require multiplayer servers or even Xbox Live in the first place by their nature.

Absolutely stupid, frustrating, and crappy.

---

* This has to do with the rule of storytelling that every story, episode, entry, etc. in a franchise is your audience's first time ever experiencing it. It basically works like: I should be able to play an entire game (watch an entire TV show episode, entry in a movie trilogy, etc.) without having to go to outside sources or have things explained to me.

The amount of internet connection required to play Halo 4 to its full extent is absolutely shitty, shocking, and disgraceful.

You have:

Terminals. It's practically hopeless to understand the story of the game without these unless you know all the lore and everything behind it.* Having to connect to Waypoint is silly and unnecessary. 343 REALLY needs to patch that in an update.

Spartan Ops. SpOps should be playable offline, both in single player and in split screen, just like all other game modes, like campaign, firefight, and even multiplayer (via custom games). The only reason I should connect to the internet is to download the levels in the first place.

If it needs to be connected to the internet because of the CG cutscenes, then why not just let me have the option to download SpOps like any normal DLC expansion? I've got the space on my HDD, so there is no reason I shouldn't be able to do that. If I didn't, then yeah, sure, the internet would be useful. But at least give me that option.

And even though this is not necessarily internet required, it's so badly implemented, you pretty much have to get on the internet and google how to do it:

System link play (and LAN play for that matter). If your system for playing System-link makes players have to check the internet to understand how to use it, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. I still don't really know how to play a System-link game, and me and some friends have tried multiple times. In Halo 3 it was as simple as connecting the two consoles together and then boom, there you go. Why you need to make a mock network or something like that (I don't even understand that) I will never understand. Why can't this work as simply and quickly and easily as Halo 3? Why is the game telling me I have to connect to a network, when by very nature of being system link there is NO NETWORK?!?!

What's even worse is that most of these require a Gold subscription to play, even though they don't necessarily require multiplayer servers or even Xbox Live in the first place by their nature.

Absolutely stupid, frustrating, and crappy.

---

* This has to do with the rule of storytelling that every story, episode, entry, etc. in a franchise is your audience's first time ever experiencing it. It basically works like: I should be able to play an entire game (watch an entire TV show episode, entry in a movie trilogy, etc.) without having to go to outside sources or have things explained to me.

wtf i didn't know spartan ops was online only,makes no sense. firefight is both on and offline.

Ghazi

Frankie already said, in order to keep SpOps from being paid DLC content, they made it behind a Gold paywall. Which is a much better idea.

And in order to check for Gold and whether or not you can play the maps (as the first half was opened up on timer/flags from XBL because they were on disk) you need internet.

Chettlar

Banned
wtf i didn't know spartan ops was online only,makes no sense. firefight is both on and offline.

It does make no sense.

Frankie already said, in order to keep SpOps from being paid DLC content, they made it behind a Gold paywall. Which is a much better idea.

And in order to check for Gold and whether or not you can play the maps (as the first half was opened up on timer/flags from XBL because they were on disk) you need internet.

No. it. is. not. Not for people who can't afford to pay for gold constantly, and not for people who aren't always connected to the internet and just want to play some System link with friends at a hotel or somewhere else where you don't really get internet or at least good internet.

Besides, why not give people that option? If they want to be able to play SpOps offline, then they can pay to actually own it. If they don't, then they can "rent" it via Gold.

If not that, then why not, once the entire series is out, release it as a dedicated DLC expansion pack that people can own if they want?

belushy

Banned
Because Vista's maps weren't redone.

unless you're assuming that they'd just port them over straight?

I want h2a to have all the maps, but I only expect there to be 15 max to be honest. At least almost all of the h2 maps are good. I'd say, don't remake the maps that were made from CE (Warlock, Beaver Creek, Elongation) and then these maps just because the rest of the maps I'd rather have over them (Backwash, Gemini, maybe Foundation)

So my list would go:

1. Sanctuary
2. Midship
3. Ivory Tower
4. Containment
5. Headlong
6. Coagulation
7. Waterworks
8. Lockout
9. Turf
10. Relic
11. Colossus
12. Warlock
13. Burial Mounds
14. Ascension
15. Beaver Creek

IDK actually, 15 seems like a lot haha.

I see,although i prefer if it just does not return in the future. Awful mode and firefight should be returning.

Ghazi

No it is not.

Besides, why not give people that option? If they want to be able to play SpOps offline, then they can pay to actually own it. If they don't, then they can "rent" it via Gold.

If not that, then why not, once the entire series is out, release it as a dedicated DLC expansion pack that people can own if they want?
I agree, they should've offered it as a separate paid offline DLC, that's a good idea as well. But you can be damned sure, after hearing the quality of the content (no offense, David Ellis & Co) that I wouldn't pay any more than like $10 for Season 1. So I'm happy I got to play it (I never even finished it myself), while paying for Gold.
I see,although i prefer if it just does not return in the future. Awful mode and firefight should be returning.
RIP Firefight, I miss it as well.

Chettlar

Banned
Honestly, I think $10 for the first season of Spartan Ops would be a very fair, low, affordable price that would really encourage a lot of people to purchase it.

EDIT: and even if that gets solved it still doesn't fix the terminals or horrible system link/LAN stuff.

Defect

Honestly, I think $10 for the first season of Spartan Ops would be a very fair, low, affordable price that would really encourage a lot of people to purchase it.

EDIT: and even if that gets solved it still doesn't fix the terminals or horrible system link/LAN stuff.
Nobody would buy it.

Fuchsdh

The latest episode of the Forward Unto Dawn podcast focuses on Mortal Dictata, the K5 trilogy overall, and where the fiction is going from here (some discussion of Escalation is had.)

Listening options are MP3 on FUD, Youtube, and iTunes forthcoming.

Hold on. Why not. Wait for it... Put SpOps Season 1 FREE DLC via XBLG.

Without mandatory paywall to play only.
That way you can play it online and offline.

Madness

Really? How was it a better idea? I had no gold for about a month or two, all I could do with Halo 4 was play campaign (a campaign with no scoring, theater). There's really no justification for Spartan Ops being Gold only. If that's the only way they could sustain cost/profit margins, I'd rather have Firefight back.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I liked that they tried something new, was new to Halo to have something that expanded on story after campaign, great CGI too, but offline/silver play was a must.

Everything sounds awful in Halo 4.

More like everything sound metalic I was hoping something similar to battlefield where there are different sounds of the same weapon depending of how far you were of the firefight sighly increasing your awarenes in the battlefiled, In Halo 4 it sound like two levels of proximity then nothing.

Nobody would buy it.

After I played the second half of season 2, instead of rewinding the entire season they just put the achievements chapters and there you go the rest of the Spartan Ops population.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom