• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chettlar

Banned
Nobody would buy it.

If nobody would buy it, then what does that tell you about how much they like it?

It means they don't like it, and if people don't like it, then they shouldn't make it, and should spend more time working on things people do want like firefight.

I guess it's hard to talk for an hour when you haven't even told people the name of your game.

I'm guessing after the March 4 X1 update (yeah better party system like the 360 version, finally) and Titanfall dropping on March 11 we'll get some news soon after that. Fingers crossed.

Chettlar

Banned
I haven't used it, so I can't say, but I'm not sure I like how viewing achievements on the Xbox One works. It's super easy and quick on the 360, you can see 24 achievements at a time, and simply placing the cursor displays the name and requirements of the achievement without having to select the achievement to see the latter.

As it as intuitive on the One?

Blueblur1

More like everything sound metalic I was hoping something similar to battlefield where there are different sounds of the same weapon depending of how far you were of the firefight sighly increasing your awarenes in the battlefiled, In Halo 4 it sound like two levels of proximity then nothing.

That's totally true. It's a large downgrade when compared to the previous games. I also take issue with how they changed what everything sounds like (old weapons, vehicles, etc.). The sound effects sound like they belong in a generic military shooter or a cheesy SciFi Channel original movie. None of it sounds like Halo.

Dub117

The amount of internet connection required to play Halo 4 to its full extent is absolutely shitty, shocking, and disgraceful.
I would bet a lot on H5, being one of the first games to show cloud processing (guess), that it will need to be connected even more if not required. A lot more games this gen will be like this (guess again, SEE: Titanfall)

Terminals. It's practically hopeless to understand the story of the game without these unless you know all the lore and everything behind it.* Having to connect to Waypoint is silly and unnecessary. 343 REALLY needs to patch that in an update.
Also on this, you are so right, though i remember in my lurker days Frankie saying they almost didn't make the game and that's why they were implemented poorly, and I'm honestly just glad they made it in.

Edit: yeah i'm hoping they can do some type of cloud processing. Doesn't seem impossible. Re spawn said some of the A.I. in Titanfall is processed by the cloud. Either way, even if not, so much stuff is leaning toward online, and the fact they developed the game for an originally always online console, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a always online game.

Ramirez

Honestly, I think $10 for the first season of Spartan Ops would be a very fair, low, affordable price that would really encourage a lot of people to purchase it.

EDIT: and even if that gets solved it still doesn't fix the terminals or horrible system link/LAN stuff.

Ten bucks for reused campaign assets and Valhalla firefight scenarios? lulz

Omni

I'm guessing after the March 4 X1 update (yeah better party system like the 360 version, finally) and Titanfall dropping on March 11 we'll get some news soon after that. Fingers crossed.

Yeah. I don't see MS taking the spotlight away from Titanfall by releasing Halo information before it releases.

Edit: yeah i'm hoping they can do some type of cloud processing. Doesn't seem impossible. Either way, even if not, so much stuff is leaning toward online, and the fact they developed the game for an originally always online console, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a always online game.

If you're talking about evolving AI or something (think Forza), then I agree. But in terms of making more AI available or making games better looking or any physics based calculations and it's pretty much impossible. Realistically, anyway. This was busted at the original console announcement haha.

Whatever the case. I think people are going to be very disappointed if they think they're going to be able to play most AAA games offline and without an internet connection this gen.

Nebula

Surprised we didn't see any forge maps in Heavies. I almost expected some given how small the on disc maps are for the gametype.

Chettlar

Banned
I would bet a lot on H5, being one of the first games to show cloud processing (guess), that it will need to be connected even more if not required. A lot more games this gen will be like this (guess again, SEE: Titanfall)

Also on this, you are so right, though i remember in my lurker days Frankie saying they almost didn't make the game and that's why they were implemented poorly, and I'm honestly just glad they made it in.

Edit: yeah i'm hoping they can do some type of cloud processing. Doesn't seem impossible. Re spawn said some of the A.I. in Titanfall is processed by the cloud. Either way, even if not, so much stuff is leaning toward online, and the fact they developed the game for an originally always online console, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a always online game.

Why does cloud processing need to be done in campaign? Why not use it in multiplayer? Ya know, to help run super complex maps, better hitboxes, less shortcuts on things (like some of the things they did in Reach vs 3 were cheating in order to get better netcode or something like that, like making stairs act like ramps, and things like that), BTB with no lag...or really all of this with no lag.

Campaign does not need cloud processing, and I hope they keep it out of that.

Poster I was responding to seemed to think that wouldn't be enough.

Imo, 10 bucks for the entire seasons released for Halo 4 (remember, they did spend some money they need back on those cutscenes) seems reasonable, and much better than it is currently.

Dub117

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/425294477855424512 This is what i was talking about. Probably not big cloud processing as you said, but even minor would require an internet connection. I think you are right about most AAA games being online this gen.

Chettlar, your ideas are good. Campaign cloud could be cool for A.I. not immediately in the area of engagement at a good distance for huge epic battles is what i was thinking. I mean, if it does require a connection why not. On the other hand, if it keeps it from having offline game play i could see the other side of that argument

Weird edit: did azoojoos get banned? I stopped lurking for a while, just curious, those were always interesting threads to read.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

If they expanded the cutscenes, I'd buy it on Blu-Ray. Even if the story was stupid (Brodude Spartans, kick the Forerunner tech, Requiem into a sun) and the characters were terrible (Palmer). It certainly looks nice.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So my list would go:

1. Sanctuary
2. Midship
3. Ivory Tower
[snip]
15. Beaver Creek
No way. Beaver Creek should be in every Halo game. It's one of my all time favorites, alongside Sanctuary, Midship, The Pit, and Haven.

lol Haven

Ghazi

Weird edit: did azoojoos get banned? I stopped lurking for a while, just curious, those were always interesting threads to read.
Yeah zoojoo got banned a long time ago. RIP, you will be missed my good friend that I've never talked to ever before.

I wish there was a way for him to post here.

Anyone up for playing 4 I don't give a shit that it sucks, I feel like playing Halo in my helmet for shits and giggles and drinking whiskey.

nillapuddin

Will everyone who wishes to be part of the next Halo 2 PC night either PM me or quote this post

Id would like to make a list of all the GT's so I can get a sheet going of all the achievements yall need, although the other night was a bit messy,
truachievements and
I have figured out the most efficient ways to take care of business.

We will be more organized next time ("it can only go up from here" mentality)

Much thanks to everyone who helped me 100% the other night, Id like to return as many favors as possible

belushy

Banned
Will everyone who wishes to be part of the next Halo 2 PC night either PM me or quote this post

Id would like to make a list of all the GT's so I can get a sheet going of all the achievements yall need, although the other night was a bit messy,
truachievements and

Much thanks to everyone who helped me 100% the other night, Id like to return as many favors as possible

I'll definitely get on and help out other peeps too. Hopefully Syphon doesn't keep getting kicked :p

Haven't played in years, team sucks, play like shit 18-19, get 250, second place on team. Matchmaking you are as good as ever it seems. Also spawning by mechs is fun.

Why does cloud processing need to be done in campaign? Why not use it in multiplayer? Ya know, to help run super complex maps, better hitboxes, less shortcuts on things (like some of the things they did in Reach vs 3 were cheating in order to get better netcode or something like that, like making stairs act like ramps, and things like that), BTB with no lag...or really all of this with no lag.

Campaign does not need cloud processing, and I hope they keep it out of that.

I want cloud processing for campaign/coop very much. Think persistent worlds and NPC's going about their business. Imagine if things went open world and seamless like Destiny...I agree the latency of the Internet hinders things for real time processing up front and on screen for the player(s). All the behind the scenes stuff can be cloud processed in the current Internet landscape though.

AI bots like Forza Drivatar
Persistent or open worlds
Real time planetary or localised weather
Automatic content, patches & fixes etc
Forge rendering
Lightmaps generation
Object complexity before final runtime in game
Not having servers taken offline for maintenance reasons, they're virtually spun up or down now as needed.
How about a dynamic campaign more akin to a simulation than a linear game?
How about changing enemy AI behaviour over time or in response to data mining from actual players going through campaign?

As for multiplayer I think the cloud/dedis side of things for interactivity and async networking for no latency button inputs are the way to go there. Also modes with huge player numbers etc. Again cloud processing could hand background AI or LOD type stuff but the foreground in action stuff is going to have to processed by the console. Again automated map fixes or DLC downloads. Also ranks, spectating and the like should be cloud based so you can handle it on any device e.g. watch a live tournament or a friends game streamed on your mobile or web browser. Share and participate with those things easily too. Basically the X1 side of Twitch or smartglass here.

That's sort of the defining limits for now, however, there is a shitton of innovation for developers to use dedis or cloud processing with today's Internet latency and bandwidth. Who knows what they're going to come up with next. Who knows how this will be in use 5 or 10 years from now...

Chettlar

Banned

truachievements and

:(

Haven't played in years, team sucks, play like shit 18-19, get 250, second place on team. Matchmaking you are as good as ever it seems. Also spawning by mechs is fun.
Why do people still touch Halo 4? I haven't play the game since June 7th, of last year.

Been without Halo 4 for almost 8 months, feels good.

Chettlar

Banned
I want cloud processing for campaign/coop very much. Think persistent worlds and NPC's going about their business. Imagine if things went open world and seamless like Destiny...I agree the latency of the Internet hinders things for real time processing up front and on screen for the player(s). All the behind the scenes stuff can be cloud processed in the current Internet landscape though.

AI bots like Forza Drivatar
Persistent or open worlds
Real time planetary or localised weather
Automatic content, patches & fixes etc
Forge rendering
Lightmaps generation
Object complexity before final runtime in game

As for multiplayer I think the cloud/dedis side of things for interactivity and async networking for no latency button inputs are the way to go there. Also modes with huge player numbers etc. Again cloud processing could hand background AI or LOD type stuff but the foreground in action stuff is going to have to processed by the console. Again automated map fixes or DLC downloads. Also ranks, spectating and the like should be cloud based so you can handle it on any device e.g. watch a live tournament or a friends game streamed on your mobile or web browser. Share and participate with those things easily too. Basically the X1 side of Twitch or smartglass here.

That's sort of the defining limits for now, however, there is a shitton of innovation for developers to use dedis or cloud processing with today's Internet latency and bandwidth. Who knows what they're going to come up with next. Who knows how this will be in use 5 or 10 years from now...

Um...why does campaign need a persistent world? I want an actual story campaign for Halo, because that is one of the main things Halo does so well. I mean, an open world Halo would be awesome, don't get me wrong, but I should hope that wouldn't replace the standard Halo campaign's we've always gotten.

And you really don't need cloud processing for good AI. CE's AI back in the day was still better than a lot of games now, especially including 4's.

We don't need this. We need 343 to focus on actually making a good game before they go off on this other stuff. Yes, like you said, it could help with a lot of things, but most of the things you mentioned were things that would help multiplayer, not Campaign, which is what my post was also saying anyway.

And automatic updates shouldn't necessitate a game being always online. AI bots like Drivatars have nothing to do with campaign. Real time weather can be accomplished by having a better engine, and does not take a vast amount of horse power in ways that can't be accomplished now. Servers only matter to multi.

Why would I want a dynamic campaign? I mean, sounds cool, but why does Halo need to do that? I mean, Destiny is already doing that kind of stuff. We don't need two Destinies just like we don't need two Call of Duties. Games should play to their strengths. What sets them apart from other games. Halo's biggest strong point imo is the Campaign, or at least one of them. Why shouldn't it play to its strengths and get better?

Don't get me wrong, I like all this stuff, but it doesn't all fit Halo and what Halo is.

How about changing enemy AI behaviour over time or in response to data mining from actual players going through campaign?

That sounds awful. I'll have to explain later because it's midnight and I need to go to bed.

Omni

truachievements and

I'm always down.

GT: randomrosso93

@Chettlar

It's just limited thinking to exclude the cloud from game development, specifically Halo campaign. The industry has these new tools and they have benefits. Implementations will be some trial and error for now but it's worth investing in. I strongly suggest anyone interested in what cloud computing can do for in game stuff take a look at the Nemesis system for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor from Monolith Productions. Dynamic enemies that remember what you did to them, enemy progress, enemy scarring and much more. Take a look!

Say you want a linear campaign still here's some quick ones that can be done:

Dynamism for replayability; every time you replay this mission the cloud has processed a persistent world and produced skyboxes, weather, lighting & AI environmental conditions all based from the cloud and output to your console for local processing from that point on.

What does this mean in game? Well the skyboxes could change based on Halo ring rotations or planetary locations at a given cloud time. The weather could be a global variable based on where and when you are, think 10 times bigger than AotCR, now think of playing that level 10 times with differing weather effects each time. Now layer on to that lighting that gets baked in by the cloud as the mission or save points load up and you'll see differing enemy locations or huddling inside from extreme weather or vehicles with their lights on due to time of day or stealth easier because it's snowing etc. How about AI behaviours, your team mates could be Drivatar like when you play solo so you feel like coop, they could then drop in and take control mid game/mission.

My point is the cloud has a number of benefits if you're open minded about the limitations vs. innovations. Gamers just saying oh it's a buzzword and I just want Halo 2 HD is just stale development; both for gamers and developers alike. As for what I want, I want cloud processing and innovative gameplay with real in game benefits. How about the terminals that missed the game release get dropped in 2 weeks after the game launches? My point is there is no need to force open world and there is no need to refute cloud processing, expand your Halo gaming horizon.

If you watched the Nemesis video above how about those sorts of enemy character features for Elites or Prometheans or Flood etc. Yup, looks good to me.

omg no i was about to head to bed :( miss u girl

Girl 24-9 girl.

also

QzcXIsR.jpg

Havoc2049

truachievements and

I'm down. GT: MajorHavoc 2049
haha..this just looks funny for some reason..
H2VAchievements-2_zps7863d0da.png

I still need Rainman. I'm playing through on Legendary now, so should have that one wrapped up soon.
H2VAchievements_zps405b2223.png

truachievements and

I'm down to play, but I dont need any achievements nor do I wanna spend time boosting them

Same for me, even the Composer bits were really well executed as was the latter parts of the SPOPS CGI, loved it.

I think you gloss over the turbo update and sustain too easily, there is a fuckton of updates there with far more hits than misses. Look at the weapon tuning, look at the playlist sustain and look at the community involvement. If you don't see a very marked difference between 4's launch and 4's current delivered content/gameplay then I don't know what to tell you.

Again last night jump on, in a full party for BTB and later some 5 man CTF, and it's a total blast most games. I don't get the hate, sure it's not taking me back to what I love the most, such as bomb or 1-flag in Halo 2/3, but it's damned good, very good in fact. Not hated by me at all.

Anyhow each to their own.

Kurt Shilling
Am I the only one who thinks that it's funny that the person who keeps defending every aspect of Halo 4 also happens to be a waypoint mod?
i think its funny.
Wasn't the thread locked last time we went down this road? Ha
someone probably got butthurt about it.
I feel much more satisfied with this one, I probably won't change it again.

The 1st one was a misspelling and the 2nd one was just because i was dissatisfied with the first one, and I was dissatisfied with that one.
Y U Do dis?
Hold on. Why not. Wait for it... Put SpOps Season 1 FREE DLC via XBLG.

Without mandatory paywall to play only.
That way you can play it online and offline.
Common sense? you really think they'd do that, just go on the internet and grow common sense?

Caayn

What's with all the sudden cloud talk again?
Anyway, I don't see it working as people here think it will. Because of two major bottlenecks
1. Things as campaign should be playable offline. So cloud can only be used for AI presets similar to the Forza drivatars.
2. Average internet connection, bandwidth and response time. I think this point is self explanatory.

Using cloud for dynamic skyboxes such as portrayed by Ozzy won't work due to the need for consistency in the timeline. Every players campaign needs to take place at the same time. Otherwise the timeline gets screwed up. So one player seeing a sky full of celestial bodies and the other not screws up the timeline, as the planet they're on must be in a different times as evident by the different skybox.
Besides even if they wanted to do this, there's no reason to use the cloud for that.

Edit:
Using the cloud for AI, makes bot matches with more realistic bots than we've seen in different in games possible. But please no bots in actual multiplayer matches.

truachievements and

I'm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom