• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaming/Movie Cave coming together.

C8iCcbm.jpg
looks nice. kind of jealous. It would be ace if you building the shelf on your own.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Custom unit built around the size of your new Sharp? Nice. What's the plan for the ductwork/hvac? Just boxing it in?

We will insulate for sound, but rather than having a big drywall block that looks like it's hiding something, we decided to put up several panels made of narrow stained hemlock planks so it (should) look like a big piece of decorative wooden art, more or less. It will run in perfect symmetry with the screen area of the built-in and should look sweet.

And we can use that duct run in the future if we need to run surrounds to the rear (no plans to for now, I'm happy as shit with the Yamaha bar).

And yep, 60 inch Sharp Quattron (room isn't really big enough to justify a larger set) the shelf is big enough for 70+ but it was made a bit bigger so I can have the Kinect mounted above the TV.

I'm just curious, but what are your metrics for a good Halo game?

Odd/Non-numerical Titles from the looks of it.

My face when, Halo 2 is not a good Halo game and no mention of Reach. lol.

We will insulate for sound, but rather than having a big drywall block that looks like it's hiding something, we decided to put up several panels made of narrow stained hemlock planks so it (should) look like a big piece of decorative wooden art, more or less.

And yep, 60 inch Sharp Quattron (room isn't really big enough to justify a larger set).

Very cool Frank, good luck with that project, being the furthest from a handyman myself I give you megatons of respect and envy you.

Caayn

We will insulate for sound, but rather than having a big drywall block that looks like it's hiding something, we decided to put up several panels made of narrow stained hemlock planks so it (should) look like a big piece of decorative wooden art, more or less. It will run in perfect symmetry with the screen area of the built-in and should look sweet.

And yep, 60 inch Sharp Quattron (room isn't really big enough to justify a larger set).
I thought you had a 2013 panny model.

Chettlar

Banned
343 is just outsourcing the fucking work to saber and CA. calm down there Junior.

...I'm perfectly calm. It is kind of annoying, though, and I think it's spreading a ton of misinformation about all this and harboring really negative feelings toward MS that aren't entirely warranted. Maybe they are outsourcing it. Nothing we know proves that anything other than "Halo" would be coming in 2014.

Unwarranted and unwonted negativity towards a company, person, etc. is annoying. We don't know what's going on, so how can we be bothered? Are we supposed to be bothered because it might have happened?

Stinkles

I thought you had a 2013 panny model.

I have a smaller 50 inch Panny, but Panny is just what I recommend to people. personally I am happier with the LCD, but objectively the Panny Plasma is the better deal. My Kuro died.

I poured out a 40.

Which is probably a bigger reason for the final product of the game :(

IIRC, a big part of the reason for the outsourcing was because they were not a fully complete studio by the time Halo 4 was on the tail end of development. I mean they have tons of talent just probably didnt have enough resources seeing as they were a brand new studio in relative terms. (I'm very critical of Halo 4, but if the H2A thing is true and gives them more time for H5, then that'd be incredible).

C8iCcbm.jpg
Is the room behind have access to cables/wiring, or is that a hallway?

As a carpenter, one of my biggest pitfalls in building custom cabinets for home theater is cable management. I once built a rig for a big screen rear-projection TV (this was years ago) that would swivel between two different rooms with a shared wall. Fun build, but figuring out how to compensate for twisting cables was a bitch.

IIRC, a big part of the reason for the outsourcing was because they were not a fully complete studio by the time Halo 4 was on the tail end of development. I mean they have tons of talent just probably didnt have enough resources seeing as they were a brand new studio in relative terms. (I'm very critical of Halo 4, but if the H2A thing is true and gives them more time for H5, then that'd be incredible).
I will try to remain positive! haha. This is probably the hardest wait for a new halo game since Halo 4 didn't keep people playing for as long as Reach - and even Reach was shorter than normal.

utlimate_bathroom_zps6d05e765.png

OMG it's going to make the most amazing bathroom entertainment center ever. Hours of halo on the can and a refrigerator only an arm's length away!

Caayn

I have a smaller 50 inch Panny, but Panny is just what I recommend to people. personally I am happier with the LCD, but objectively the Panny Plasma is the better deal. My Kuro died.

I poured out a 40.
Ah, was weird to see you post in the tv thread about a panny and now suddenly talking about a sharp, but that explains it. Thanks.
I don't see the exercise bike, in that picture. Where is it?

How many sleeps, Stinkles?
Halo 5 better with Kinect?
Cortana: Chief get on that bike and start cycling in order to supply power to this forerunner device.

At least he got the one of the essentials ready. A toilet seat, no longer do you need to stop gaming to take a leak.

Stinkles

Is the room behind have access to cables/wiring, or is that a hallway?

As a carpenter, one of my biggest pitfalls in building custom cabinets for home theater is cable management. I once built a rig for a big screen rear-projection TV (this was years ago) that would swivel between two different rooms with a shared wall. Fun build, but figuring out how to compensate for twisting cables was a bitch.

the room behind is storage, but we left a gap for unforeseen cabling shenanigans. However the Smurf tubes should be more than adequate given the simplicity of the setup.

and shill inbound - the Xbone makes everything waaaaay easier and nicer. My Harmony One is gathering dust.

Havoc2049

...I'm perfectly calm. It is kind of annoying, though, and I think it's spreading a ton of misinformation about all this and harboring really negative feelings toward MS that aren't entirely warranted. Maybe they are outsourcing it. Nothing we know proves that anything other than "Halo" would be coming in 2014.

Halo-Spartan-Assault_cover.jpg

;-p

the room behind is storage, but we left a gap for unforeseen cabling shenanigans. However the Smurf tubes should be more than adequate given the simplicity of the setup.

and shill inbound - the Xbone makes everything waaaaay easier and nicer. My Harmony One is gathering dust.

Ah, to have a simple setup. We've got DVD, Onkyo tuner, cable box, apple tv, record player, and speaker wire shooting out the back of our cabinet. It's a cat paradise.

The piss stains on that floor are horrific. This is why only stupid people install hardwood flooring in a bathroom. (Plus, men are disgusting. Dogs have better aim)

FyreWulff

The piss stains on that floor are horrific. This is why only stupid people install hardwood flooring in a bathroom. (Plus, men are disgusting. Dogs have better aim)

There's a special place in hell for people that install carpet in bathrooms

nope nope nope nope nope nope

FyreWulff

There's also tiles you can use for flooring. Tiles for bathrooms are a master combo. Tiles are really easy to clean and come in very handy, especially if you've got a friend who's aims is as good as Caboose is with grenades.

Carpet isn't the only alternative to hardwood...

I think both y'all misread my post. I know tiles are standard, and the correct thing to do. But there's some people that actually install carpet. WHITE carpet. In their bathrooms.

it's as if they WANT to collect pee.

Like a giant wet-nap.

Ah, to have a simple setup. We've got DVD, Onkyo tuner, cable box, apple tv, record player, and speaker wire shooting out the back of our cabinet. It's a cat paradise.
are we talking cables? Two display monitors (power+HDMI), two studio monitors (power+TRS), power cord for the laptop, usb from laptop to audio interface (with power), usb to midi keyboard, TRS for two synths. And this is after unplugging my pc and xbox from everything. such a mess

There's a special place in hell for people that install carpet in bathrooms

nope nope nope nope nope nope
I've done remodels where we've had to pull up carpet in the bathroom to install tile, some seriously revolting stuff on the underside of the carpet.

are we talking cables? Two display monitors (power+HDMI), two studio monitors (power+TRS), power cord for the laptop, usb from laptop to audio interface (with power), usb to midi keyboard, TRS for two synths. And this is after unplugging my pc and xbox from everything. such a mess
It's all such a dust trap. Every time I try to do some cable management, I get discouraged as soon as I pull back the furniture.

Looking good. Did you originally think of doing a projector? I feel like those would be a lot less expensive than a 60inch but I'm probably 100% wrong.

By the time you factor in the cost of a good screen and the room treatments, a front projector setup is going to be a lot more expensive. Definitely more awesome, though.

I poured out a 40.

Well no wonder your Kuro died, everyone knows you shouldn't pour malt liquor on a plasma tv.

Chettlar

Banned
Slight WTF moment just now. I'm replaying the Resistance 2 campaign and someone walked in on me and said "What are you playing....... Oh it's Halo" and walked away. Just like that.I just ..... don't even..... wait what o_O
360 version came out 6 days ago.

who was this person? Parent, girl friend, random stranger that somehow got into your house, what?

360 version came out 6 days ago.

Yeah, I don't...think that counts.

I've done remodels where we've had to pull up carpet in the bathroom to install tile, some seriously revolting stuff on the underside of the carpet.

It's all such a dust trap. Every time I try to do some cable management, I get discouraged as soon as I pull back the furniture.
Yeah I wish I could do something, but I only have two outlets (like just places for two plugs, not two sets of two plugs) and I have to extension cord/power strip the hell out of everything and try not to overload shit at the same time.

u4iX

And we can use that duct run in the future if we need to run surrounds to the rear (no plans to for now, I'm happy as shit with the Yamaha bar).

And yep, 60 inch Sharp Quattron (room isn't really big enough to justify a larger set) the shelf is big enough for 70+ but it was made a bit bigger so I can have the Kinect mounted above the TV.

Looks and sounds glorious.

u4iX

I was trying to suggest useful and doable changes like this the other day. In response all I got was "I want Saved Films, Forge, etc" none of which are probably easily doable and realistic.

Everyone in the Halo community who makes content basically already has a "theater mode" in that they can capture live gameplay with an El Gato, HDPVR, what have you.

I really hope, if Halo 2 anniversary is a thing and if it has multiplayer, that they keep the voice and proximity chat settings the same.

Forge, I would love, but I wouldn't need it. I don't really want it actually...

I think Forge actually does more harm than good in some cases, creating thousands of variations of the same map and everyone feeling like their version is the best version.

Mistel

Banned
Mmm where is the .....how to say this in english mmm.... all your forniture is really on the floor what would happen if suddenly you house gets flooded, that would damage the wood.

Also kudos for the ninja escape vent.
If he had warning of the flood then surely he could use boxes containing halo 4 to protect his home then nothing of value will be lost.
And with some editing this would make a good halo is dad gif:
ibhevqII7zH4yO.gif

Chettlar

Banned
So, um, kind of OT, but Steam just gave me Borderlands 2 for free. Like, I was trying to get Planetside 2 to work, my computer crashes, and then a reboot my computer, and there, in PS2's place is Borderlands 2 with the option to install. I clicked the store page, the achievements page everything. Yeah, it's Borderlands 2.

I mean, this is awesome but WTF? It's downloading now as I type.

FYC

Banned

C8iCcbm.jpg

Jealous.

So, um, kind of OT, but Steam just gave me Borderlands 2 for free. Like, I was trying to get Planetside 2 to work, my computer crashes, and then a reboot my computer, and there, in PS2's place is Borderlands 2 with the option to install. I clicked the store page, the achievements page everything. Yeah, it's Borderlands 2.

I mean, this is awesome but WTF? It's downloading now as I type.

It's a free weekend, they do it all the time. Won't be able to play the game after Monday unless you pay up. One of my favorite parts of Steam!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom