• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If he had warning of the flood then surely he could use boxes containing halo 4 to protect his home then nothing of value will be lost.
And with some editing this would make a good halo is dad gif:
ibhevqII7zH4yO.gif

Halo is mom.

Madness

Mmm where is the .....how to say this in english mmm.... all your forniture is really on the floor what would happen if suddenly you house gets flooded, that would damage the wood.

Also kudos for the ninja escape vent.

What do you mean the furniture is on the floor, suddenly the house gets flooded? It's a basement. Most houses are built with floor drains near where the water heater is in case it goes bad, washing machines etc. If a flood happens due to weather, pretty much every house in the area would be screwed then, and not really anything anyone can predict or do about it.

Stinkles

I think both y'all misread my post. I know tiles are standard, and the correct thing to do. But there's some people that actually install carpet. WHITE carpet. In their bathrooms.

Like a giant wet-nap.

Projector is a giant nightmare in real life. Good luck getting Mrs. Stinkles to live with one. I can't stand them. Turn on, wait, fume as HDMI handshakes miss each other like Peyton Manning throws in the Superbowl, watch as the blinking lights on the projector activate counterintuitive functions, see the VGA ready text blink for no reason at all, etc etc. However, I wouldn't mind this:

oTJ5RA1l.jpg

And it's a 4k projector. That costs $35k. And is made of machined aluminum. And has built in furniture for speakers and components.

DROOL.

What do you mean the furniture is on the floor, suddenly the house gets flooded? It's a basement. Most houses are built with floor drains near where the water heater is in case it goes bad, washing machines etc. If a flood happens due to weather, pretty much every house in the area would be screwed then, and not really anything anyone can predict or do about it.

TANKLESS BABY.

If it fails, it simply drains into the plumbing.

Projector is a giant nightmare in real life. Good luck getting Mrs. Stinkles to live with one. I can't stand them. Turn on, wait, fume as HDMI handshakes miss each other like Peyton Manning throws in the Superbowl, watch as the blinking lights on the projector activate counterintuitive functions, see the VGA ready text blink for no reason at all, etc etc. However, I wouldn't mind this:

oTJ5RA1l.jpg

And it's a 4k projector. That costs $35k. And is made of machined aluminum. And has built in furniture for speakers and components.

DROOL.
I don't even care about the 4k, give me a 1080p short-throw projector and I'd buy it instantly

Madness

oTJ5RA1l.jpg

DROOL.

TANKLESS BABY.

If it fails, it simply drains into the plumbing.

New construction house/less than 5-10 years old? Tankless are nice. In BC electricity is pretty cheap, and so when the pops renovated our family house, rather than go tankless, put in a pretty huge 80 gallon water heater.

Also, that SONY projector is nice, but for that kind of cash, I'd probably go for those new 21:9 105" curved OLED 4k televisions.

Stinkles

New construction house/less than 5-10 years old? Tankless are nice. In BC electricity is pretty cheap, and so when the pops renovated our family house, rather than go tankless, put in a pretty huge 80 gallon water heater.

Also, that SONY projector is nice, but for that kind of cash, I'd probably go for those new 21:9 105" curved OLED 4k televisions.

1909 Brick Tudor.

Tankless was part of mancave project.

Caayn

who was this person? Parent, girl friend, random stranger that somehow got into your house, what?
Younger brother. Still, Resistance 2 doesn't even look like Halo. Probably was the Chameleon enemy that reminded him of cloaked elites thus naming it Halo. Dunno, it just gave me a wtf moment.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
For that kind of cash I would pay my rent for the rest of my life.

Fuchsdh

Unless you're in a specific viewing situation a curved screen is worse. And why would you want a screen aspect ratio that does not natively fit any movie or TV show?

FyreWulff

BC: Come for the cheap electricity, leave because your shack costs 5,500,000$ and you just defaulted on your loan

1909 Brick Tudor.

Tankless was part of mancave project.

hi5 old houses. The one I'm sitting in right now was built in 1905. I like how you can tell they added the bathrooms years and years after it was built. Also, we found the original weights for the windows in the walls when doing renovation.

Stinkles

Unless you're in a specific viewing situation a curved screen is worse. And why would you want a screen aspect ratio that does not natively fit any movie or TV show?

Ever so slightly more immersive driving games!

Conversation piece!

People with convex eyeballs!

(I got nothing)

Around here we usually put some supports to elevate the forniture (like 15 or 20 cm) in case of flood or unforeseen accidents which happens often giving us some time to save some of the house stuff.

Madness

I disagree, the curve is very slight and barely noticeable and was amazing when I saw it. From any angle the picture was uniform, meaning you no longer have to sit directly in front of the television to get the best colors and viewing angle.

Also, almost every movie would no longer have letterboxes on the screen. I don't know what you mean would not natively fit any movies? Very few movies are actually filmed at 1:85:1 these days, aside from say Pixar films. I agree that shows and other content would have black bars on the side, but it would primarily be for movies/home theater than just random television watching. Besides, at 105", the picture area of side-bar 16:9 content would still be pretty amazing, possibly 80"+ of viewing space.

Tawpgun

Sick room, but I dunno if I could ever play an FPS on a big TV. Use that TV for most games and have a nice 24 inch on the side for maximum dongage.

For starters, not riddled with glitches. Which co-incidentally disqualifies 2 and 4 right off the start.
Actually, Halo 4 didn't really have much gameplay glitches from what I remember. Just very questionable design decisions.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Sick room, but I dunno if I could ever play an FPS on a big TV. Use that TV for most games and have a nice 24 inch on the side for maximum dongage.

Actually, Halo 4 didn't really have much gameplay glitches from what I remember. Just very questionable design decisions.

Yea once I started playing on a monitor I never looked back. I couldn't imagine trying to play competitively on anything too big.

Mistel

Banned
I doubt I could play it on anything larger than the 23" monitor I've got. Nilla played on a cinema screen if I remember correctly, so he probably knows more about how it looks on a big screen.

The only thing I dislike is that there is no headphone jack and the speakers are a bit tinny sometimes.

Havok

Yea once I started playing on a monitor I never looked back. I couldn't imagine trying to play competitively on anything too big.
Moving from a monitor to a projector, I didn't notice any difference in performance. It's something I was concerned about when I bought it, but I think as long as you've got everything in your field of view (which is to say you're not sitting 2 feet from a 90-inch image), it seems fine. Cabling's a pain in the ass, but I guess that's what I signed up for.

Madness

Eh, I'm not as good as you, Ramirez, plywood etc. But I honestly didn't notice any drop in my gameplay/skill moving from a 32" LCD television to a 55" LED. If anything I enjoy playing games more because I get to see things larger, in more detail. I do know about having to move your eyes over a larger distance, but is it just perception/negligible or does it impact skill?

Tashi

Moving from a monitor to a projector, I didn't notice any difference in performance. It's something I was concerned about when I bought it, but I think as long as you've got everything in your field of view (which is to say you're not sitting 2 feet from a 90-inch image), it seems fine. Cabling's a pain in the ass, but I guess that's what I signed up for.

Even at first?

I'll never forget the time I was playing in an H3 tournament and was switching set ups each round. Some tubes(awesome to play on) some monitors(awesome to play on) and then they had like 2 projectors up. Lost in the quarterfinals to a guy playing on a monitor while I was playing on a projector. It was absurd. Thinking about it now I should have complained and asked for another station.

A 90 inch projector would be amazing for everything else though.

Havok

Even at first?

I'll never forget the time I was playing in an H3 tournament and was switching set ups each round. Some tubes(awesome to play on) some monitors(awesome to play on) and then they had like 2 projectors up. Lost in the quarterfinals to a guy playing on a monitor while I was playing on a projector. It was absurd. Thinking about it now I should have complained and asked for another station.

A 90 inch projector would be amazing for everything else though.
I had to find the right spot to sit, which took a little while, but after that it was pretty much business as usual. It's not something I can recommend to everyone just because you have to have some pretty stringent light control in the room (not to mention getting audio and figuring out your image throw), but it's been great for me.

It probably depends on the situation, like anything else - I wouldn't be surprised if it was the newness of that setup as much as the size that threw you off there. Switching back and forth can't be easy and it takes a little bit of getting used to.

Tashi

I had to find the right spot to sit, which took a little while, but after that it was pretty much business as usual. It's not something I can recommend to everyone just because you have to have some pretty stringent light control in the room (not to mention getting audio and figuring out your image throw), but it's been great for me.

It probably depends on the situation, like anything else - I wouldn't be surprised if it was the newness of that setup as much as the size that threw you off there. Switching back and forth can't be easy and it takes a little bit of getting used to.

For sure.

How far back do you sit?

Havok

For sure.

How far back do you sit?
I'm about 8 or 9 feet away from the screen at this point. When I first bought it I was in a much smaller space than I am now that I've moved, so I was maybe 5 feet away at that starting point and yeah, it was kind of rough.

Mistel

Banned
I just applied for a job at Rooster Teeth.

Shit. Now I'm gonna get all excited and check my email every 10 minutes.
Cool, good luck in getting it. If you get to make any video's I expect a minimum GAF reference requirement is needed.

A problem for me with big TV's is I have a point where font become unreadable and distorted even from a short distance away. At that point I need my glasses but it's just uncomfortable to sit with them on for extended periods of time.

Tashi

I'm about 8 or 9 feet away from the screen at this point. When I first bought it I was in a much smaller space than I am now that I've moved, so I was maybe 5 feet away at that starting point and yeah, it was kind of rough.

Cool that it works for you. Must be awesome to play games and watch movies on.

Mistel

Banned
In relation to halo 2 was this always empty: (I book marked it when it first came up)
89t5.png

Or was it like that due to tv's being smaller or is there stuff like trees and scenery missing from this picture on delta halo?

I just noticed it looks like the grunt is sticking its head in the fire lol.

Caayn

Yeah pretty much.

See this is why Halo CEA and Halo 2A should be on PC.
And I'd still play the console version ;)
In relation to halo 2 was this always empty: (I book marked it when it first came up)
89t5.png

Or was it like that due to tv's being smaller or is there stuff like trees and scenery missing from this picture on delta halo?
TVs were generally smaller and had a way lower resolution than we now have. Thus less details/objects were needed.

Chettlar

Banned

I can't quibble. You play what you want to play on.

89t5.png

I just noticed it looks like the grunt is sticking its head in the fire lol.

343, I fully expect to see this shot being one of the most gorgeous, fully forested shots with the most beautiful sky box and water you can muster in Halo 2 Anniversary. Hnng that makes me excited.

HaloGAF is dad.
QycW2CE.png

Charles_manson_expressions_3129.gif

I just applied for a job at Rooster Teeth.

Shit. Now I'm gonna get all excited and check my email every 10 minutes.

HEY. NOT COOL. THAT'S MY JOB.

tbh me and mix joked around at eventually working at RT together.

EXCEPT I WASN'T JOKING.

About that top 5, feels good to not even be in the top 10.

Mistel

Banned
TVs were generally smaller and had a way lower resolution than we now have. Thus less details/objects were needed.
I though so I wonder how they will change it now that the general size of screens has increased will they increase its size or just fill out the background.
HaloGAF is dad.
tumblr_m87ejcPSAt1qbql6jo2_r1_250.gif

Wow that's a lot of posts but still there must be far more prolific posters on the whole forum though, anyway you need a girl around here. Has halogaf declined that much since you first posted Juices? :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom