• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

Those labels are Australian I think, I should totally get that collectors edition that I saw preowned it was only a fiver and it looks good. The only downside is it's French.

Hood must have invested serious funds into anti wrinkle cream, that's just not even bothering to check source material.

That is checking the source material. He's got the exact same uniform as in Halo 3, right down to the medals. He was certainly working from photos.

Mistel

Banned
That is checking the source material. He's got the exact same uniform as in Halo 3, right down to the medals. He was certainly working from photos.
For the uniform sure but how do you not manage to do the face right then? Is it just the general art style of the comics drawer or a design change.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

So the artist studied everything about the character... except what his face looked like. The least important element a person has, for sure.

Caayn

Best 3D I've had on my home TVs. I don't like watching movies in 3D but CEA I played in that mode for sure, so much better then movie 3D.
Just tried it, but the Xbox One doesn't handle 3D images very well :p So I'll need to switch some wires. Will do that tomorrow and try again.

ElRenoRaven

Most likely the same way how they did it with Halo CEA. Higher resolution textures, a few extra polygons and throw in some extra pixels will get you very far.

Just came across this picture, pretty fun to see each new iteration of Master Chief side-by-side.

Halo 2 Chief still the best Chief without a doubt.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Good man, I didn't pledge but I will buy your book when it's done. Is that expected early, mid or late this year?

We've just passed an important milestone and we've an aggressive timetabled schedule that we've been strictly adhering to for a while now. We're sorting out the logistics of secondary materials now too (non-book items that are included in various tiers), so we are approaching the final stages. We will have a full breakdown of the entire situation, including delays and additional content and explanations in the weeks to come.

We are on target for late spring/early summer.

gAg CruSh3r

Edit: Wait CEA supports 3D? I need to replay it right now.

I liked Halo CEA in 3D. For some odd reason I get a better perception of beat downs when I was playing it in 3D. I was playing it on my fathers 70 inch tv. Hmmm :)) it was awesome. I want a 3D tv now just to play it over again :).

Karl2177

logic isn't welcome around these parts.

(spend this time making more infographics thanks)

Can't do an infographic, but I can do an article on Matchmaking, Custom Games, and Theatre or I can do an article on secondary features in Halo games on Sunday. You can choose.

We've just passed an important milestone and we've an aggressive timetabled schedule that we've been strictly adhering to for a while now. We're sorting out the logistics of secondary materials now too (non-book items that are included in various tiers), so we are approaching the final stages. We will have a full breakdown of the entire situation, including delays and additional content and explanations in the weeks to come.

We are on target for late spring/early summer.

Thanks for the information, sounds like it's coming together nicely now and it should be an interesting read. It might even find a place on my coffee table :)

Mistel

Banned
Thanks. I'll do my best ;) Graduating in May and I don't want to go full time where I'm at right now. But it's an option, so I am grateful for that. I just can't believe my dream job is available right now and my resume actually qualifies me for it.
Well I hope you get your job following your dreams is always a great thing. I can hopefully follow my dreams maybe one day I could find a new species and get to name it.

Not to mention if I get a doctorate the I'd be Dr Naomi and that would be cool.

AlStrong

That isn't Master Chief in Halo Reach. It's most likely Linda, since she was on the Forward Unto Dawn, too.

The book "Halo First Strike" also explains, that Seargeant Johnson picked up Linda's cryo tube, before the Forward Unto Dawn exploded.

Pillar of Autumn. :p

Blueblur1

mannnn, CEA was so well done and much fun was had
that link is gunna prompt another playthrough

#bestELITES

While I didn't like some of the colors used or Forerunner architecture, it's a solid product that's very well done. They nailed the Chief's armor too which is something I was very worried about. More Halo games like that please (with original multiplayer intact).

CyReN

Sold Halo ODST, CEA, Reach etc awhile back, made sure to keep these though.

VA3msre.jpg

rrW4l90.jpg

So I'm reading this book right now that admittedly isn't very good, but it's about a team of mercenaries set in 2032.

It got me thinking, mercenaries have been part of war since...forever and have been gaining in popularity/use over the last few years in Iraq/Afghanistan/Middle East.

I assume the Innies used mercenaries to fight against the UNSC at some point, but overall there hasn't really been any mercenary activity mentioned in any of the Halo media. I guess we could call Admiral Cole's desertion/disappearance something like that, but not unless he comes back and wants money.

It's just hard for me to believe that the UNSC was the only human entity fighting against the Covenant. Especially now that the big war has ended, there would likely be hundreds or thousands of soldiers in the Navy, Marines, and Army all leaving the UNSC for potential private work. Like protecting ships, doing this and that and so on.

I think it could make for some good stories.

nillapuddin

Hood in Escalation is just wrong. Don't know how you could look at existing references of the character from existing media, then.... Picard.
Hood must have invested serious funds into anti wrinkle cream, that's just not even bothering to check source material.

yeah, I understand alot of the panels have incredibly poor art (tbfair, #2 and #3 have improved)

but the flat out misrepresentation of a MAJOR character is unforgivable

Custom box arts?

yes sir, I made them awhile back

Fuchsdh

So I'm reading this book right now that admittedly isn't very good, but it's about a team of mercenaries set in 2032.

It got me thinking, mercenaries have been part of war since...forever and have been gaining in popularity/use over the last few years in Iraq/Afghanistan/Middle East.

I assume the Innies used mercenaries to fight against the UNSC at some point, but overall there hasn't really been any mercenary activity mentioned in any of the Halo media. I guess we could call Admiral Cole's desertion/disappearance something like that, but not unless he comes back and wants money.

It's just hard for me to believe that the UNSC was the only human entity fighting against the Covenant. Especially now that the big war has ended, there would likely be hundreds or thousands of soldiers in the Navy, Marines, and Army all leaving the UNSC for potential private work. Like protecting ships, doing this and that and so on.

I think it could make for some good stories.

Well, Mortal Dictata covers some of this. But I don't think it's unrealistic that there weren't mercs in the Covenant War. The Covenant hate you, the Insurrectionists are being glassed to hell and back or going into hiding for the most part (remember that by the time of Halo even officers had grown up only in the time the Covenant had invaded--they didn't even know there were still insurrectionists out there.) That leaves the UNSC with its military-run dictatorship. Against a supreme alien threat you need more than special forces, you need ships, and big ones.

Apparently post-war Venezia becomes a haven for ex-UNSC and arms traders, so it's possible mercs spring up at that point, but I dunno how much we're going to get about that.

CEA is a damn good game. I only have a few complaints about the audio and THE FUCKING ELITE SHIELDS BEING ANYTHING BUT THERE VISUALLY.

I usually have to put it in classic mode during an elite firefight to see if my shots are hitting.

The weapon sounds are godly, and THE CE PISTOL MY GOD, IT'S SO GOOD.

Well, Mortal Dictata covers some of this. But I don't think it's unrealistic that there weren't mercs in the Covenant War. The Covenant hate you, the Insurrectionists are being glassed to hell and back or going into hiding for the most part (remember that by the time of Halo even officers had grown up only in the time the Covenant had invaded--they didn't even know there were still insurrectionists out there.) That leaves the UNSC with its military-run dictatorship. Against a supreme alien threat you need more than special forces, you need ships, and big ones.

Apparently post-war Venezia becomes a haven for ex-UNSC and arms traders, so it's possible mercs spring up at that point, but I dunno how much we're going to get about that.

Still haven't read that one, but that was the most intriguing part of Thursday War for me. The stuff on Venezia, I mean.

It has always seemed odd to me that Halo was just UNSC vs Covenant with no other factions involved at all. I guess it makes sense but it was just odd. The Cole Protocol showed a bit of stuff, but even then it was just some Innies with some semi-renegade Jackals.

The entire Halo universe, while awesome, has almost seemed empty to me because of it.

Look at Star Wars. It was the Empire vs the Rebels, yet at the same time there were bounty hunters everywhere, contract companies like Black Sun working with the Empire, factions of crime families like the Hutts trying to run train on the galaxy, and so on and so on. While a lot of it is and was stupid fluff, it added a lot to the universe.

It's nothing I'm outraged about but it's something that is on my mind right now.

Chettlar

Banned
CEA is a damn good game. I only have a few complaints about the audio and THE FUCKING ELITE SHIELDS BEING ANYTHING BUT THERE VISUALLY.

I usually have to put it in classic mode during an elite firefight to see if my shots are hitting.

The weapon sounds are godly, and THE CE PISTOL MY GOD, IT'S SO GOOD.

Wasn't there also something about the Hunter's plasma cannons not showing the charge thing or something like that in CEA? Can't remember since I haven't played it for about a year.

JDHarbs

CEA was a great
campaign
remake. Were networking issues the only reason why CE multi wasn't included? Cuz I would've taken offline CE multiplayer.

Chettlar

Banned
CEA was a great
campaign
remake. Were networking issues the only reason why CE multi wasn't included? Cuz I would've taken offline CE multiplayer.

I agree. I would have too. They really should have made one especially for it. Otherwise the only thing it has over CE is "better graphics" which in and of itself isn't much of a reason to purchase something.

But hey, there's still a chance we'll get that right? Maybe? Like I'm thinking about say if we get the Origins Bundle (Reach and CEA) on the Xbox One at some point down the line (maybe 2016 or something), with CEA finally getting it's own multiplayer faithful to the old like the CEA campaign was (I also want Reach in there mostly because of the Campaign).

Hey guys, we lost a fellow Halo fan/GAFer today. Say a prayer or do whatever you believe in for his friends and family. I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight. :(

The amount of people I've asked in forums and my own community page about whether they want a Halo 2 HD Anniversary or Halo 5. 90% said Halo 2 HD Anniversary. 5% both, 5% for Halo 5. They would rather wait for Halo 5 to be polished and not rushed for its development.

I'd rather not post his name right now and I don't know details but I've been playing Halo with him for 6 years. I'm really shocked right now, it came out of nowhere.

The amount of people I've asked in forums and my own community page about whether they want a Halo 2 HD Anniversary or Halo 5. 90% said Halo 2 HD Anniversary. 5% both, 5% for Halo 5. They would rather wait for Halo 5 to be polished and not rushed for its development.
It's tough. I want halo 5 to be the best it can be, but the wait will be uber long. Halo 2 HD will be nice, but I'll probably just end up being pissed off that Halo:CE matchmaking was never added to Anniversary. At this point, it's safe to say it will never happen. Which is sad, because it's a recipe for instant success for whoever remakes it or a clone just like it.

It's one of the great mysteries of our time...
v6fds_medium_medium.gif

CE is the only Halo game that gets unanimous praise* and CEA proved how the gameplay is still loved, and can be loved by new players. Whether you played back then or years later, the gameplay still holds up and the combat still feels fresh.

People went crazy over that BR gif on Haven? I think I would black out if I saw a clip of this bad boy 3-shotting someone in multiplayer:
Halo_CEA_Magnum.jpg

If it feels good and your fanbase loves it, why scrap it? The Grenade Launcher was such a satisfying weapon to use too.. I don't even.

*Most of the time I've seen complaints, they stem from the need to prove another Halo game's balance (ie: The Great Pistol Debate).

Korten

Banned
Still haven't read that one, but that was the most intriguing part of Thursday War for me. The stuff on Venezia, I mean.

It has always seemed odd to me that Halo was just UNSC vs Covenant with no other factions involved at all. I guess it makes sense but it was just odd. The Cole Protocol showed a bit of stuff, but even then it was just some Innies with some semi-renegade Jackals.

The entire Halo universe, while awesome, has almost seemed empty to me because of it.

Look at Star Wars. It was the Empire vs the Rebels, yet at the same time there were bounty hunters everywhere, contract companies like Black Sun working with the Empire, factions of crime families like the Hutts trying to run train on the galaxy, and so on and so on. While a lot of it is and was stupid fluff, it added a lot to the universe.

It's nothing I'm outraged about but it's something that is on my mind right now.

Well yeah in Star Wars it was Humans on both sides, the Empire and the Rebels, they hated each other but not for being Human. (Although the Empire is more xenophobic than the Rebels.)

However in Halo... How would it work? I mean yeah I guess there could have been mercs from Jackals (which basically are a race of mercs), to aid Humans but there wasn't exactly a hub of meeting to do this.

And when it came to Humans... Well no Human merc would get five feet next to a Covenant soldier before they were killed.

I guess when it comes to the Human-Covenant War, there isn't much leeway in terms of Bounty Hunting and Mercenaries working.

Although in the case of a future war where the war isn't being fought with the intention to destroy an entire race... Maybe then it would work.

Woorloog

Banned
CE is the only Halo game that gets unanimous praise* and CEA proved how the gameplay is still loved, and can be loved by new players. Whether you played back then or years later, the gameplay still holds up and the combat still feels fresh.

No. It has flaws, big ones (shitty (vehicle) physics for one). EDIT well, perhaps not big ones. But it ain't flawless game, but then no Halo is, no game is. (Closest to a flawless game i've seen is probably Tetris... but is flaw is that i don't find it fun)

And the combat most definitively doesn't feel fresh. Not when you've played it once/twice a year for 11 years.

EDIT oh, and a couple of my friends don't find Halo CE that great. Okay, sure, but not special (newcomers to the franchise). One plays Halo with me but ain't a fan exactly (he ain't fan of anything) and the other prefers newer installments of Halo (and also the only guy i know who doesn't mind Palmer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom