• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistel

Banned
The other prefers newer installments of Halo (and also the only guy i know who doesn't mind Palmer).
He likes Palmer? Please say he doesn't like 4's game play?

CE is probably one of the more enjoyable campaigns but I can see why later installments would have their appeal.

Caayn

Ok, so I just got 3D working and played a few levels. I got to say that CEA looks amazing in 3D. The plasma bolts flying towards you, the needler shards soaring through the sky, the needler itself looks amazing, the flood gets creepy. Love it.

Well except for the shotgun which looks like a giant steel pipe.

Mistel

Banned
How do super combines look in 3D I mean they're pretty already but in 3D they must be amazing. I've not seen a IMAX 3D film in ages I missed the 3D Jurassic Park :'(.

Caayn

How do super combines look in 3D I mean they're pretty already but in 3D they must be amazing. I've not seen a IMAX 3D film in ages I missed the 3D Jurassic Park :'(.
The 2D smoke effects from the supercombine kinda kill it. The tiny shards that blast in every direction are pretty though.

It's silly but small things such as shooting directly below you at the ground and watching the dirt jump up becomes kinda cool to watch.

Nebula

XqPldV0.png

Finally!

Looks kinda staged since the guests have no idea how to play but I did eet!

Mistel

Banned
The 2D smoke effects from the supercombine kinda kill it. The tiny shards that blast in every direction are pretty though.

It's silly but small things such as shooting directly below you at the ground and watching the dirt jump up becomes kinda cool to watch.
That's a shame about the pink smoke being 2D I wonder how spike grenades and spiker rounds look in 3D?
Super Combined Needler Flak Cannon
Heavy needler *Swoon*.

Hey nebula that's cool, want to play some heavies later?

Woorloog

Banned
He likes Palmer? Please say he doesn't like 4's game play?

CE is probably one of the more enjoyable campaigns but I can see why later installments would have their appeal.

He likes Halo 4... but then he is more of a campaign player (and Halo 4 campaign is not that different from others, gameplay-wise). Honestly, awful (compared to me or most HaloGAFers) in multiplayer, aside from being an excellent driver.
BTW, i do like Halo 4 gameplay too. Extraneous stuff, like the unlock system on the other hand...

FyreWulff

WHAT?

Stinkles, legit question. If you ever did bring Halo 4 to Xbox One (or any of the other ones. I'm not talking about the ntkrnl rumors). Just if you ever did, would it be possible to convince you to include 3D in those? Like, where does 343 or Microsoft stand on 3D's importance? Not trying to make you say a whole lot, just is it something you would consider doing if you haven't already?

3D craze is over. Even Sony isn't pushing 3D anymore in games, and they make (or, made) 3DTVs. Even if they had the spare power, I'd imagine they wouldn't bother.

CE is the only Halo game that gets unanimous praise* and CEA proved how the gameplay is still loved, and can be loved by new players. Whether you played back then or years later, the gameplay still holds up and the combat still feels fresh.

People went crazy over that BR gif on Haven? I think I would black out if I saw a clip of this bad boy 3-shotting someone in multiplayer:
Halo_CEA_Magnum.jpg

If it feels good and your fanbase loves it, why scrap it? The Grenade Launcher was such a satisfying weapon to use too.. I don't even.

*Most of the time I've seen complaints, they stem from the need to prove another Halo game's balance (ie: The Great Pistol Debate).
At this point in time, I don't see why an indie developer couldn't redo the matchmaking and slap it on live for like 20 bucks - we've got the cloud now!! ;) If only MS didn't have the rights to everything.
No. It has flaws, big ones (shitty (vehicle) physics for one). EDIT well, perhaps not big ones. But it ain't flawless game, but then no Halo is, no game is. (Closest to a flawless game i've seen is probably Tetris... but is flaw is that i don't find it fun)

And the combat most definitively doesn't feel fresh. Not when you've played it once/twice a year for 11 years.

EDIT oh, and a couple of my friends don't find Halo CE that great. Okay, sure, but not special (newcomers to the franchise). One plays Halo with me but ain't a fan exactly (he ain't fan of anything) and the other prefers newer installments of Halo (and also the only guy i know who doesn't mind Palmer).
Vehicle physics weren't the greatest, but there were only two whole maps that even had vehicles. CE was all about the arena style maps. As far as the combat, I don't think it needs to feel fresh. It just needs to feel exactly like it did back in the day if anyone ever took the time to bring it back.

EDIT:
3D craze is over. Even Sony isn't pushing 3D anymore in games, and they make (or, made) 3DTVs. Even if they had the spare power, I'd imagine they wouldn't bother.
I'm worn out by 3D. Every 2 or 3 years, a movie will come out where 3D actually compliments the film. But for most films it's just a nuisance to have to wear those uncomfortable 3D glasses. I mess around with my 3ds all the time and rarely have it in 3D.

No. It has flaws, big ones (shitty (vehicle) physics for one). EDIT well, perhaps not big ones. But it ain't flawless game, but then no Halo is, no game is. (Closest to a flawless game i've seen is probably Tetris... but is flaw is that i don't find it fun)

And the combat most definitively doesn't feel fresh. Not when you've played it once/twice a year for 11 years.

EDIT oh, and a couple of my friends don't find Halo CE that great. Okay, sure, but not special (newcomers to the franchise). One plays Halo with me but ain't a fan exactly (he ain't fan of anything) and the other prefers newer installments of Halo (and also the only guy i know who doesn't mind Palmer).
Never said it was flawless, and in fact have mentioned several times how there have been many improvements made to multiplayer since CE. My main point was comparatively speaking, in terms of the other games. CE, unless directly being compared to later games in some specific aspect (a vehicle physics discussion for example, although I'd argue that the most balanced Tank was in CE), is rarely complained about whenever it is brought up. People's first instincts aren't usually to complain about it. Take Halo 3 for example, whenever people bring that up it's usually followed by several comments about how perceptions were "off" with that game and population numbers were not directly related to gameplay quality.

Also, Hog Wars.
He likes Halo 4... but then he is more of a campaign player (and Halo 4 campaign is not that different from others, gameplay-wise). Honestly, awful (compared to me or most HaloGAFers) in multiplayer, aside from being an excellent driver.
BTW, i do like Halo 4 gameplay too. Extraneous stuff, like the unlock system on the other hand...
And these are the people you're using as examples of who disliked CE? :b
At this point in time, I don't see why an indie developer couldn't redo the matchmaking and slap it on live for like 20 bucks - we've got the cloud now!! ;) If only MS didn't have the rights to everything.

Vehicle physics weren't the greatest, but there were only two whole maps that even had vehicles. CE was all about the arena style maps. As far as the combat, I don't think it needs to feel fresh. It just needs to feel exactly like it did back in the day if anyone ever took the time to bring it back.
Maybe fresh was the wrong word, but I meant that it still feels great to play. Going back to Halo 2 or Halo 3 can feel very weak and sluggish, whereas CE feels powerful and consistent.

For example, you felt like a QB in CE when throwing grenades, similar to Murder Miners. Later games changed this and as a result, made the player feel weaker subconsciously, regardless if they were aware of it or able to describe why.

Woorloog

Banned
And these are the people you're using as examples of who disliked CE? :b

You imply (with strict interpretation of text i'm fond of) anyone would like CE, which obviously ain't true.
Also, I didn't say they disliked it, i said they didn't think it was great.
And liking or disliking Halo 4 and CE ain't mutually exclusive things.
(The other friend doesn't really care for Halo 4 i think. Not sure really, its been too long since we talked about Halo 4)

EDIT duh, there's a problem in that i tend to talk about the campaign, not multiplayer ( and i played Halo PC MP, not Xbox, and only BTB-style games in it, the PC version had many more vehicle maps).

I just applied for a job at Rooster Teeth.

Shit. Now I'm gonna get all excited and check my email every 10 minutes.
#hireJelly
Ewwww, I'm disgusted in myself.
I can't believe im not farther up than "Postllar"
Raise from the dead when you need me. :p would he still have to do paper work?

Totally stealthy post above me lol.
Can we get the Skeleton mod in MP please

Hey guys, we lost a fellow Halo fan/GAFer today. Say a prayer or do whatever you believe in for his friends and family. I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight. :(
RIP. it always sucks to lose a friend, my condolences.

You imply (with strict interpretation of text i'm fond of) anyone would like CE, which obviously ain't true.
Also, I didn't say they disliked it, i said they didn't think it was great.
And liking or disliking Halo 4 and CE ain't mutually exclusive things.
(The other friend doesn't really care for Halo 4 i think. Not sure really, its been too long since we talked about Halo 4)

EDIT duh, there's a problem in that i tend to talk about the campaign, not multiplayer ( and i played Halo PC MP, not Xbox, and only BTB-style games in it, the PC version had many more vehicle maps).
heh, the complications of human communication ;b

Now that you mention Halo PC's BTB, how would you compare that to later games btw?

EDIT: Side note: The map sizes were huge, so when people say that Halo 4 has to have larger maps to accommodate sprint I don't think that's entirely true. Halo 4 may have more large maps, but I don't think the maps themselves are any larger than we've seen in previous games.

Woorloog

Banned

Now that you mention Halo PC's BTB, how would you compare that to later games btw?

Can't compare to Halo 2 because i never got to play enough of it form a proper opinion.
Halo 3 is the pinnacle of Halo BTB as far as i'm concerned, aside from some weak maps.

As for Halo Reach and 4, both have issues with vehicles and maps... i almost think Halo PC BTB is better... yet i play the former in splitscreen with a friend nearly always which elevates the experience. (If i were to play Halo PC today, i'd dislike it because i dislike KB/M controls for shooters after having played years on Xboxes and their controllers)

Hey guys, we lost a fellow Halo fan/GAFer today. Say a prayer or do whatever you believe in for his friends and family. I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight. :(

Oh man, my condolences I hope the best for his family

whats this all about?
Jjgzylj.jpg

Thats how DH roll out their comics.

Also Halo was about Humans vs Humans, until the covenant attacked, love the scene in FuD where the cadets are familiar seeing the military fighting the insurrectionist but have no clue about the what the "special marine" fighting an unknown enemy

Mistel

Banned
Not sure how long I'll be on for but if I'm on feel free to join me.
Sure I'll be on soon and I'll play with you if your still on.
Even as a campaign player I'm surprised he didn't find it dull with the sponge knight and generally uninteresting encounters that occurred. The story is a whole other matter.

But for BTB on PC which I played a lot of I really enjoyed it especially ice fields. But I agree with Woorloog about 3 BTB.

Tawpgun

My only experience with CE BTB was with with Halo Trial and Custom Edition, so it might be a whole other monster. But I was good. I was really good.

And BTB was fun, but not in the way it should have been. The bad players would always go in the vehicles because they were easy to get kills with. A warthog driver could rack up a ton of points.

Because of this, there was a an honor code among all the "competetive" CE players, which basically boiled down to: No using cheap power weapons (except on vehicles) and no using vehicles.

If you did use a rocket/fuel rod on a player you were shunned. If you ran someone over with the hog you were shunned. If you used the banshee in any offensive way you were REALLY shunned. The banshee was the cheapest vehicle of them all. Funny story, we would sometimes get in the banshee and glitch it on top of the blood gulch wall, or get it stuck in the tree in front of blue base.

Anyway, getting to my point, CE BTB was fun because to me it was all about me, my pistol, my grenades, against an army of scrubs using a bunch of vehicles and shit. And it was fun because I would STILL dong. I would get the most kills despite never stepping into a vehicle.

Hogs and ghosts could be naded or you could be shot out of them. The Tank was slow and had an open cockpit I could pistol you from. And the banshee, I was the best among my friends at this, you would do what we called banshee rodeo. Where the banshee would keep trying to splatter you and you would dodge and unload with your AR. The best anti-banshee weapons were the plasma rifle in combination with the shotty.

As fun as it was, I don't think this model would work on live, where we would get more auto aim.

Besides, the best and most fun BTB I played was on Coldsnap anyway. Almost every vehicle was useful except for the weird mech things, and maybe the scorpions. Every vehicle was fun, and it was super balanced. The player had really good offensive capabilities with the anti vehicle sniper and C4.It played so well.

Besides, the best and most fun BTB I played was on Coldsnap anyway. Almost every vehicle was useful except for the weird mech things, and maybe the scorpions. Every vehicle was fun, and it was super balanced. The player had really good offensive capabilities with the anti vehicle sniper and C4.It played so well.

I have that map on original Xbox. Still waiting to pull it out at a lan

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Although this is not a confirmation that the sequel to H4 on Xbox One will or won't have 3D, this is a correct assertion. We are spending that "bandwidth" on 60fps and other, more useful and widely used IQ stuff.

Woorloog

Banned
Even as a campaign player I'm surprised he didn't find it dull with the sponge knight and generally uninteresting encounters that occurred. The story is a whole other matter.

Well, he ain't hardcore gamer anyway, he doesn't really know the difference between good and bad design. Probably.

Me, i don't find fighting Knights dull, or Halo 4 campaign gameplay for that matter. It has its flaws but overall it is not bad. Unlike Reach.

Mistel

Banned
Really looking forward to the official title announcement, if only because it will save Frankie some finger strain.
Or he could cut the rest off :p.
Most of the "good" PC maps were ported to xbox.
That's cool I never knew that was possible.

Well, he ain't hardcore gamer anyway, he doesn't really know the difference between good and bad design. Probably.

Me, i don't find fighting Knights dull, or Halo 4 campaign gameplay for that matter. It has its flaws but overall it is not bad. Unlike Reach.
I prefer reach campaign to 4's I thought the knights on higher levels along with the watchers didn't encourage fun. Teleporting around with one hit kill weapons isn't exactly fun.

Havoc2049

The crazy Warthog physics is one of the endearing qualities of Halo CE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQIQljaAc0

Woorloog

Banned
I prefer reach campaign to 4's I thought the knights on higher levels along with the watchers didn't encourage fun. Teleporting around with one hit kill weapons isn't exactly fun.

Reach game mechanics don't encourage fun :/
Halo 4 has, at least, rather good core gameplay (aside from unnecessarily slow movement and too much inertia). I have no problem fighting the Knights as i mentioned, but i do have a problem with the Watchers... having to shoot them first is a tad boring. Especially since their health is inconsistent, some take 4 scoped Lightrifle shots, some 5.
The only issue the Knights have is that their head hitbox is way too small, so killing them after dropping their shields (hint: use the frigging Plasma Pistol) is slow if they move, unlike most enemies in Halos. Oddly, they remind me of the Halo CE Elites, who had small heads and strong shields.
The Lancer's tele-charge ability is not a big issue to me even though it is one-hit kill on Legendary, i noticed it is easy to see when they will charge and sidestep them to avoid it. That is, when i didn't kill them first anyway.
EDIT oh and the Knight's shield popping animation/effect should be brighter/clearer.

But Fuel Rod Guns... now those things are horrible. Ranged one-hit kills are much more annoying than any close range or melee one-hit kill. The same weapon is partially responsible for making Reach so bad, it is over-abundant in Reach and Halo 4.

The crazy Warthog physics is one of the endearing qualities of Halo CE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQIQljaAc0

Alone, perhaps they're. But when you play seriously, they're fucking annoying, and inconsistent. Slight bump may stop you, or it might flight you over.

Halo 4 Legendary (Campaign or Spartan Ops (especially)):
Shoot Knight. Knight teleports away while 5 others continue attacking. First Knight regenerates as you continue the process with several other Knights.

Shoot Watcher. Watcher flies away while 5 others continue attacking. First Watcher regenerates as you continue the process with several other Watchers.

Now throw these enemies together with Crawlers/Covenant all over the place and you have quite the boring experience on Legendary.
Alone, perhaps they're. But when you play seriously, they're fucking annoying,.
Why would you be playing Halo PC BTB seriously? That's the important question here.
and inconsistent. Slight bump may stop you, or it might flight you over
I think we're playing different games buddio. It took some skill and understanding to use a Warthog successfully; it's definitely not as easy as Tawpgun implied earlier (against decent players anyway). The vehicles in that game were pretty balanced IMO.

You had to learn how to control the fishtailing (by incrementally nudging the right thumbstick based on the degree of the turn instead of one sharp turn/swipe) and use the momentum/physics in your favor. An example of this is playing Hog Wars. Just before you're about to ram someone head on, press down on the left joystick (reverse). This causes your nose to dip under the other Hog, launching them into the air.

Shoot Knight. Knight teleports away while 5 others continue attacking. First Knight regenerates as you continue the process with several other Knights.

Shoot Watcher. Watcher flies away while 5 others continue attacking. First Watcher regenerates as you continue the process with several other Watchers.

Now throw these enemies together with Crawlers/Covenant all over the place and you have quite the boring experience on Legendary.
And combine that with limited ammo. Half of Halo 4's campaign for me was spent running around looking for extra bullets. Legendary was worse. Not sure what it is about 4's campaign, though, because it is still my second favorite campaign behind CE even with all the issues people have pointed out. I had fun with it.

I think the visual look and viewing aspect of the different halo games has vastly impacted my ability to become immersed in each campaign, which lessens or enhances my enjoyment while playing through each campaign as a result. For me (and I know we've done this many times before, but who cares lol) my favorite campaigns in order of most enjoyed CE > 4 > 3 > 2 = Reach. ODST I excluded. Mainly because it was a spinoff from the main series. ODST was also different from the main series in that the look of the game was very pleasing, but so many pitiful and virtually useless weapons, along with a rather anticlimactic ending, really lessened my overall enjoyment of it. So it's kind of an outlier.

EDIT:
Haha just saw this on twitter. Kind of funny. Sochi's mascot looking very relaxed lol, or stoned.
Bf42c3pCEAAS8c1.png:large

Woorloog

Banned

I recently played the Halo 4 campaign on Legendary solo and had no real issues with any of those, aside from having to kill the Watchers first being boring.
Multiple Knights? Engage one at time, or split them up (a grenade or two does this nicely usually, if there's space for it). Killing must be done quickly, preferably with a powerful weapon, or having the useful Plasma Pistol (not possible in all missions unfortunately). Usually i ended up using the Lightrifle alone, scoped it drops an average Knight's shield with eight shots, with a pair of shots to finish it. Not terribly efficient but worked often enough for me. And usually i did have a power weapon too, but i always save those for bad moments or bigger fights.
EDIT i can't recall running out of ammo but once, and that was due to me shooting badly in the previous encounter. Didn't have ammo problems the first time i played Halo 4 either. I don't get the complaint of the game having too little weapons/ammo.
Why would you be playing Halo PC BTB seriously? That's the important question here.
I play to win. Fooling around i save for campaign on Easy, or a custom game that is set up specifically for fooling around. Anything else, i play seriously and to win. EDIT and i've always done this. If i don't play to win, why would i play at all?
I think we're playing different games buddio. It took some skill and understanding to use a Warthog successfully; it's definitely not as easy as Tawpgun implied earlier (against decent players anyway). The vehicles in that game were pretty balanced IMO.

You had to learn how to control the fishtailing (by incrementally nudging the right thumbstick based on the degree of the turn instead of one sharp turn/swipe) and use the momentum/physics in your favor.

And i was mostly talking about the campaign. It is goddamn frustrating when any vehicle get stuck on a small bump, a rock, or a corner, or bounces away from one. And i'm not talking about a slight bounce you can correct with controls, but the type where you can't do a thing until it slows down enough you might be able to land wheels down. What's annoying is that either kind of bounce may happen from full speed, or even slow speed (and in multiplayer, combine with awful netcode (Halo PC didn't have the greatest code there is) and/or lag...).
Not that later Halos are immune to odd/bad geometries, or occasionally wonky physics (flipping Warthog over only for it to land sideways or something).

In multiplayer (Halo PC), i usually flew a Banshee or drove a Ghost, or i was a Warthog gunner (honestly, i'm not great 'Hog driver, i'm merely okay but i'm much better as a gunner). Or i found a power weapon and used it.

Chettlar

Banned

:((((((((((

But this, man!:

Ok, so I just got 3D working and played a few levels. I got to say that CEA looks amazing in 3D. The plasma bolts flying towards you, the needler shards soaring through the sky, the needler itself looks amazing, the flood gets creepy. Love it.

Well except for the shotgun which looks like a giant steel pipe.

Oh, and I have to say that I don't really think any of Halo's shotguns have been particularly good looking. In fact, other than CE's, they really haven't been all that satisfying to use either.

Although this is not a confirmation that the sequel to H4 on Xbox One will or won't have 3D,

I completely understand. I don't expect you to confirm anything.

Stinkles said:
this is a correct assertion. We are spending that "bandwidth" on 60fps and other, more useful and widely used IQ stuff.

The thing is though, can't that "bandwidth" be traded off when 3D is turned on? Like, a game being 1080p without 3D vs. 720p with it on. I mean, that's a given. So why couldn't something like IQ, res, etc. (maybe even frames) be traded for 3D, since, that's what you normally do, isn't it? Isn't that what you or Saber did with Combat Evolved Anniversary that everybody is talking about? What would the difference then be here, or is there any?

Just some questions.

Madness

Even though almost every mid to high end HDTV, especially at larger sizes has 3D capability, it's true. In the end, they tried to capitalize on it too soon and it just never took off. Glasses free 3D might have caught on much better.

Though you never really know, by the time Avatar 2 comes out, where the industry is. 3D for "the sequel to H4 on Xbox One" would be pointless. Few would use it, if at all.

Wait what?

Are we talking about the SAME coldsnap? the one with the jets, longswords, mythos etc?

Didn't know it was possible to port something like that to xbox.

There were for sure longswords and jets (also really fast warthogs) not sure about the mythos as it's been a while. I can probably get a video up this weekend if anyone is interested.

kylej

Banned
Gaming/Movie Cave coming together.

C8iCcbm.jpg

Are you going to do a floating floor like Allure? I'm not going to finish my basement any time soon, but I've thought about going with a polished concrete finish to do something different. I have enough hardwood.

polished2.jpg

Chettlar

Banned
Even though almost every mid to high end HDTV, especially at larger sizes has 3D capability, it's true. In the end, they tried to capitalize on it too soon and it just never took off. Glasses free 3D might have caught on much better.

Though you never really know, by the time Avatar 2 comes out, where the industry is. 3D for "the sequel to H4 on Xbox One" would be pointless. Few would use it, if at all.

I would use it. I think people have just been put off from 3D because it's forced in places where it doesn't belong. So then when people find out about things that do deserve 3D, they've been put off from it, so they don't really care.

It's about impressions people have, especially 1st ones.

Experiencing Uncharted in 3D is absolutely god-tier, even though I don't' really enjoy the game. I really hope the Halos on Xbox One have 3D. If not, then I hope they get ported to PC so that PC players don't have to compromise those things like res or visual effects. I think there should always be a way to experience "everything" a game has to offer, and CEA demonstrates that Halo works well with 3D.

Mistel

Banned
That's looks nice a bit to shiny for my tastes though I love slate or granite tiling for floors though, maybe oak flooring as well.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I read this quote via this gif set on tumblr earlier, and it reminded me of the Chief / Cortana romance discussion we were having a few days ago.

Hayao Miyazaki said:
I’ve become skeptical of the unwritten rule that just because a boy and girl appear in the same feature, a romance must ensue. Rather, I want to portray a slightly different relationship, one where they two mutually inspire each other to live– if I’ m able to, then perhaps I’ll be closer to portraying a true expression of love.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Are you going to do a floating floor like Allure? I'm not going to finish my basement any time soon, but I've thought about going with a polished concrete finish to do something different. I have enough hardwood.

polished2.jpg

Carpet I'm afraid. I gots a budget and it has MASSIVE acoustic benefits. But also nowhere else in my house has carpet so it will feel luxurious on mah feets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom