• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

So yeah about my post last night. The guy's name here was Gamefreaks221. He didn't post in this thread but he was a huge Halo fan. Like I said I've been playing Halo with him for six years. It's super depressing, we were just talking last week about how pumped we were to play Halo 2 Anniversary if real, this fall. He was one of my main dudes to play Halo with online. The news has just made today and last night straight up suck. Every future Halo game won't be the same without coming home at midnight and playing with him. :(
Rest in peace Gamefreaks. I'm really sorry for your loss man. I have a few guys I have played Halo with for years (and now we've jumped to CSGO/Dota2) that I haven't even met yet, that I would be devastated if something happened to them as if they were family members.

So yeah about my post last night. The guy's name here was Gamefreaks221. He didn't post in this thread but he was a huge Halo fan. Like I said I've been playing Halo with him for six years. It's super depressing, we were just talking last week about how pumped we were to play Halo 2 Anniversary if real, this fall. He was one of my main dudes to play Halo with online. The news has just made today and last night straight up suck. Every future Halo game won't be the same without coming home at midnight and playing with him. :(

I'm really sorry to hear that. My condolences and prayers to all people involved.

I mean, yeah it's possible but why do you say that? The guy leaking Halo 2A even existed said that 1080p is pretty much set in stone.

We should really be more scared about a lack of 60 fps since that's what he said was iffy.
How is anything what he said is valid? I mean Microsoft pretty much confirmed that the next Halo will have 60fps in 2014.

Reason why I brought this up is that MS/343 haven't said anything regarding it being 720, 900, or 1080p just yet.

I don't really know a lot of the XB1 games being 60fps & 1080p except for Forza. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Haven't really been paying enough attention or done research about the other games fps & resolution. I only know that most XB1 games are stuck at 720p atm...

Defect

Just something I saw on Facebook.

80280c7fe73ab0f4e32f7860c6a7cef5.jpg

Chettlar

Banned
Nebula really doesn't like 3D for some reason.

Yah. After that post by Stinkles I thought this discussion would die... So I'm quite surprised it's still going.

It only went on because I was having an exchange with Fyrewolf. Not sure how that's surprising.
especially when you have me involved

How is anything what he said is valid? I mean Microsoft pretty much confirmed that the next Halo will have 60fps in 2014.

Reason why I brought this up is that MS/343 haven't said anything regarding it being 720, 900, or 1080p just yet.

I don't really know a lot of the XB1 games being 60fps & 1080p except for Forza. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Haven't really been paying enough attention or done research about the other games fps & resolution. I only know that most XB1 games are stuck at 720p atm...

Because if he hadn't said anything, you probably would not have even thought of H2A. If you're going to believe that half of his leaks, then why discard the rest? Ntkrnl is the entire reason we've been talking about Halo 2 Anniversary at all.

Nebula really doesn't like 3D for some reason.

Because if he hadn't said anything, you probably would not have even thought of H2A. If you're going to believe that half of his leaks, then why discard the rest? Ntkrnl is the entire reason we've been talking about Halo 2 Anniversary at all.
Not true. The only reason we stopped brining it up was Frankie denying it in multiple occasions in several threads.

I brought up H2A in my posts bcuz it's been a possibility since before this leaker making rumors in gaf.

Chettlar

Banned
Not true. The only reason we stopped brining it up was Frankie denying it in multiple occasions in several threads.

I brought uo H2A in my posts bcuz it's been a possibility since before this leaker making rumors in gaf.

Still, I think it's worth noting at any rate.

But what is this about Frankie denying it in multiple occasions in several threads? Links do you have?

Gameplay > Graphics. I'll take 900p if it gave me 60FPS.

I'm really glad that Frankie now has this dedication to 60 FPS. #trendsetter

I also REALLY hope it means he'll try to make it work in H2A.

EDIT: I was actually being kind of serious with the hashtag. Having a game like Halo pursue something like this, I think, could possibly spur more developers to pursue it as well, if not directly.

Mix

I'm truly sorry to hear that, my condolences and prayers go out to you and you his other friends and family.

I miss the monks so goddamn much. They really should be in the menu, I'm happy they were in Halo 4, even once, but whenever I bootup Halo 5 or H2A or whatever, I want to hear that familiar E-Dorian scale. That is what encompasses the feel of Halo for me.

Composer Cutscene

Say what you want about the actual playable sections of Halo 4, but the cutscenes were done so well. Everything about this cutscene, the effects, the scale of everything, especially the music, just screams epic to me. I want more stuff like this in the next game.

I don't really like Chiefs chest piece on his armor. It's bulky and I prefer the slimmer chest piece from past halos. Idk maybe it's just me.

The music in the cutscene, besides the monk chant, sounds like something from another popular universe. Felt out of place.

Cutscenes were really well done on a technical level, yeah.

You could say that about a lot of artistic aspects of Halo 4's campaign, the whole thing felt like Tron meets Star Wars to me. Not necessarily a bad thing to me, I quite like both movies, but I'd like it to have a bit more of it's own unique identity.

Karl2177

Gaming/Movie Cave coming together.

C8iCcbm.jpg
Nice. As part of renovating my parent's house, I have to run patch cables through the whole thing. It's kinda neat seeing the original house and the additions in the 50s and 80s, but it's a pain in the ass figuring out how to do all the wiring for different types of construction. It was also interesting to find out that the room I grew up in was a porch until shortly before 1983.
That's tough to hear man. Thoughts go out to friends and family.
This is why I'm asking, is it possible 3D could be outsourced? Hasn't this been done before? I think it'd be a viable option especially if Saber would be up for it.

And I disagree that 3D is a gimmick. It can come off as one, but it can also be a value added feature that can really enhance the experience.

It's definitely a cost benefit thing. The cost of adding the 3D far exceeds the benefit of it, especially when I'd guess that less than a tenth of buyers will even get the chance to use it. The cost of it, as Fyre said, is the implementation as well as the testing time. When you're thinking total man hours and the general overhead of it, it just isn't worth it.Even though you might want it and think it adds something great, the overall market disagrees.

Getting on 4 now if anyone wants to try Heavies with me and my ex-wife. Well, everyone's exwife. If you think about it.

Sorry man, my condolences. Online friends are still friends.

Chettlar

Banned
It's definitely a cost benefit thing. The cost of adding the 3D far exceeds the benefit of it, especially when I'd guess that less than a tenth of buyers will even get the chance to use it. The cost of it, as Fyre said, is the implementation as well as the testing time. When you're thinking total man hours and the general overhead of it, it just isn't worth it.Even though you might want it and think it adds something great, the overall market disagrees.

I really can't argue with that. I guess then what I would want to know is why you would put 3D in a game then? Like why did CEA have it? My best guess is that they were redoing what in many people's view is one of the best games of all time, so they went all out on it
excepting the multiplayer, :((((((((
though that doesn't really necessarily explain why it would make sense from a business standpoint.

I'm just trying to learn how this stuff works. I rarely will debate things like this unless I'm actively trying to learn something, because that's what I do. This interests me. It's kind of disheartening when people want to discourage me from doing that. You and fyrewolf are being really helpful, and I appreciate that.

Karl2177

I really can't argue with that. I guess then what I would want to know is why you would put 3D in a game then? Like why did CEA have it? My best guess is that they were redoing what in many people's view is one of the best games of all time, so they went all out on it
excepting the multiplayer, :((((((((
though that doesn't really necessarily explain why it would make sense from a business standpoint.

I'm just trying to learn how this stuff works. I rarely will debate things like this unless I'm actively trying to learn something, because that's what I do. This interests me. It's kind of disheartening when people want to discourage me from doing that. You and fyrewolf are being really helpful, and I appreciate that.

If I remember right, they realized that the game was running the new and old versions at the same time and decided to put the two layers on top of each other.

Chettlar

Banned
If I remember right, they realized that the game was running the new and old versions at the same time and decided to put the two layers on top of each other.

Um, what? That applies to Classic vs. Anniversary [graphics quality] mode, not 3D. You sure you're thinking right, here?

EDIT: Just realized your avatar is of Justice. Not my most favorite band, but still very good. Good taste. :)

Karl2177

Um, what? That applies to Classic vs. Anniversary [graphics quality] mode, not 3D. You sure you're thinking right, here?

EDIT: Just realized your avatar is of Justice. Not my most favorite band, but still very good. Good taste. :)

I don't know the specifics of how CEA handles the new and old graphics, I just know that the reason they can do the 3D is because it is running two versions of the same game. How it layers the old and the new graphics is something I don't know about.

nillapuddin

Call me nuts but yea I did like the cutscenes. Not all of them worked but they were well done.

story and cutscenes of Halo 4 + Sp Ops cinematics = fantastic
I feel like 343's cinematic and storytelling game is very strong

I feel like Ive said this many times, but Ill say it again, although it is a HUGE adjustment, I really feel like 343 is handling the task of focusing and advancing a huge sci-fi universe very well.

Gameplay =
ymmv

Chettlar

Banned
I don't know the specifics of how CEA handles the new and old graphics, I just know that the reason they can do the 3D is because it is running two versions of the same game. How it layers the old and the new graphics is something I don't know about.

That really doesn't make any sense. You can only run one version of the game on screen at a time. This has NOTHING to do with 3D at all. What are you talking about? It's running two versions of the game yes: the old graphics and the new graphics. Only one shows up at a time. Running 3D hasn't a thing to do with that. That's a completely subject matter entirely.

story and cutscenes of Halo 4 + Sp Ops cinematics = fantastic
I feel like 343's cinematic and storytelling game is very strong

I feel like Ive said this many times, but Ill say it again, although it is a HUGE adjustment, I really feel like 343 is handling the task of focusing and advancing a huge sci-fi universe very well.

Gameplay =
ymmv

I like it, but I kind of wish they'd go more for Halo 2's style, scale, etc. of storytelling. The characters just seem like a completely different breed than Halo 2's, and I miss that, since we really only got one fleshed out story with that style of storytelling.

nillapuddin

I like it, but I kind of wish they'd go more for Halo 2's style, scale, etc. of storytelling. The characters just seem like a completely different breed than Halo 2's, and I miss that, since we really only got one fleshed out story with that style of storytelling.

I think that 343's Halo does have the kind of scope (Forerunners - > Present Day)
and bandwidth (Insurrection / Covie Civil War / Chief) but I will agree the story of Halo 4 was linear, but so was Halo CE

If you believe in the trend of 3's in movies or games
The first is always a closed loop
The second opens the loop
The third closes it again

The fact that its not longer "The Reclaimer Trilogy" is interesting for that reason.
I feel like Halo 4 might have been a standalone piece, and that there will be a new arc picked up when we get the sequel

Dub117

I think that 343's Halo does have the kind of scope (Forerunners - > Present Day)
and bandwidth (Insurrection / Covie Civil War / Chief) but I will agree the story of Halo 4 was linear, but so was Halo CE

If you believe in the trend of 3's in movies or games
The first is always a closed loop
The second opens the loop
The third closes it again

The fact that its not longer "The Reclaimer Trilogy" is interesting for that reason.
I feel like Halo 4 might have been a standalone piece, and that there will be a new arc picked up when we get the sequel
Wow, I think you may be on to something. .

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That really doesn't make any sense. You can only run one version of the game on screen at a time. This has NOTHING to do with 3D at all. What are you talking about? It's running two versions of the game yes: the old graphics and the new graphics. Only one shows up at a time. Running 3D hasn't a thing to do with that. That's a completely subject matter entirely.
Do you know if it's impossible? Karl said he doesn't know how it works. He just relayed something he heard. Rather than wasting pages talking about something you don't know about (again) maybe you could do some research of your own.

Madness

Do you know if it's impossible? Karl said he doesn't know how it works. He just relayed something he heard. Rather than wasting pages talking about something you don't know about (again) maybe you could do some research of your own.

Or, after several pages, and an answer by the Franchise Development Director that it's not happening, and numerous people saying they don't care about it, stop trying to convince others (himself?), that is something that is greatly wanted/needed, or easy to do.

You know what I want out of Halo Next whatever. No lag, stable and fast framerate(hopefully locked 60 fps, even with explosions galore), I don't want them wasting resources of something even a small fraction of players will utilize. And I LOVE 3D myself.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing a ton of Obliteration in BF4 lately. It's essentially Neutral Bomb Assault (RIP), but each team has three unique delivery points to attack/defend. Playing the gametype has been really fun, and it's gotten me to thinking... I'd really like to see BTB go bigger. More players. I want 4v4 to remain the bread and butter of the series, but I'd love to see the player cap raised and huge Battlefield-esque maps made. I'm far from the first person to think of this, but I always shit on the idea before. Now that I've played Obliteration, though, I can imagine it, and I want it bad.

belushy

Banned
I've been playing a ton of Obliteration in BF4 lately. It's essentially Neutral Bomb Assault (RIP), but each team has three unique delivery points to attack/defend. Playing the gametype has been really fun, and it's gotten me to thinking... I'd really like to see BTB go bigger. More players. I want 4v4 to remain the bread and butter of the series, but I'd love to see the player cap raised and huge Battlefield-esque maps made. I'm far from the first person to think of this, but I always shit on the idea before. Now that I've played Obliteration, though, I can imagine it, and I want it bad.

It would definitely be interesting to see and play. I always felt like the Infinity gametypes were made with large scale battles in mind; that and Invasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom