• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chettlar

Banned
This is getting tiring. Somebody explain why the below is shit:

Oh because it's long. Right. Got it.

See it's easy to say my posts are shit, but it's another to explain how, or how I'm worse than a lot of other people.

Do you know if it's impossible? Karl said he doesn't know how it works. He just relayed something he heard. Rather than wasting pages talking about something you don't know about (again) maybe you could do some research of your own.

Yes, I do know that's impossible. When I know something, I say it. When I don't know something, I asked. I asked Karl because it appeared he knew something I didn't. Unfortunately, I know that to be absolutely wrong. Those things are not related.

As you can see by the below post, karl doesn't even know what he's talking about and admitted it. It's just something he came up with to explain it. Do you understand what he's saying?

CEA has two concurrently running graphics versions: old graphics and new graphics. There are no other versions of the game running.

Ok, so now, 3D works like this: the image you are seeing splits in some sort of capacity. Different 3D methods split closer and further apart, but overall to put it in simple terms, it simply splits the image.

Ok, so in CEA, we have old graphics and new graphics. When I am playing the new graphics and turn 3D on, what happens? It takes the image and splits it. THE ONLY THING it takes and splits is in fact the new graphics. If I make a 3D image in photoshop, it simply takes the image I am seeing normally, duplicates it, and then overlays one on top of the other, with some divergence so that when you see them, and your brain puts it back together again, it looks three dimensional. Throughout the whole process, it is only using one image to do that.

This is why the old graphics have nothing to do with 3D. The game is taking an image from the screen and duplicating it (which is why 30 fps at 3D is essentially the same as 60 fps with no 3D). The old graphics never come into play here. The game simply takes what is appearing on screen (and remember only one version is onscreen at a time) and duplicates it.

Thus CEA is no different than any game using 3D. I mean think about it, if it was literally using both versions of the game, then one eye would be seeing new graphics and one would be seeing old! That's ridiculous. It's just not how it works.

I'm not asking how 3D works because I know how 3D works. I'm simply asking the logistics of how it would work from a business standpoint because I want to learn. Karl's reason was false as I have just explained, so thus it doesn't answer my question.

Why are people acting like I'm stupid? If you're going to tell me I'm stupid, then please prove it. I know the above explanation to be correct.

Okay, I said I wasn't sure of the specifics of it, but here goes my shot in the dark attempt at explaining how it works. This probably isn't right, but it's at the very least an educated guess. In the default state, CEA is running old and new graphics at the same time. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in 3D you can only run the new graphics. Well, the game is still running twice at the same time, but I'd assume both instances are running the new graphics. If you overlay and offset them and send that signal, it's now possible for the TV to decode it as 3D.

No. That's not how it works. :/ Read the above.

I think that 343's Halo does have the kind of scope (Forerunners - > Present Day)
and bandwidth (Insurrection / Covie Civil War / Chief) but I will agree the story of Halo 4 was linear, but so was Halo CE

If you believe in the trend of 3's in movies or games
The first is always a closed loop
The second opens the loop
The third closes it again

The fact that its not longer "The Reclaimer Trilogy" is interesting for that reason.
I feel like Halo 4 might have been a standalone piece, and that there will be a new arc picked up when we get the sequel

A concept I've been wondering about myself. Very interesting stuff.

Aren't tequila and beer both alcohol, or am I completely missing something?

tumblr_n08pil5HdH1rd1qi0o1_500.gif

feel

Mmm, your tears are so yummy and sweet!
Screw you man. :(

We had damn needles, they just bounced off that fucking broken flying whale being piloted by whoever designed it, the douche probably had secret cheats on too.

Still hurts.

Ghazi

Sorry to real up the Alchohol GAF OT.
The ACT? You can take it multiple times, don't forget. I ended up taking four times (the last one could not give a shit about because I had already gotten a good score the third time).

You'll be fine, man!
I'm not too stressed out about it, my family doesn't know much about it though and when I told them "I think I made around a 30" (I was being optimistic, I don't think I did that well), my parents freaked out. Now my mom is preaching on how "she'll only let me take it one more time" and "you have to study every Saturday for it, no more games".

I'm sure I'll do much better when I take it again. But, my parents's overreaction to things they don't understand (they think colleges can see how many times you've taken it, but that's just Ivy League and they want all your scores; they don't know what the ACT is out of) makes it really frustrating to talk to them about school and life in the US in general. My dad was just like "don't come asking me for tuition" and that's putting it very nicely.

I mean, I do fine in school when I put effort in, but I have my limits, so we'll see how I did in a month.

I'm not too stressed out about it, my family doesn't know much about it though and when I told them "I think I made around a 30" (I was being optimistic, I don't think I did that well), my parents freaked out. Now my mom is preaching on how "she'll only let me take it one more time" and "you have to study every Saturday for it, no more games".

I'm sure I'll do much better when I take it again. But, my parents's overreaction to things they don't understand (they think colleges can see how many times you've taken it, but that's just Ivy League and they want all your scores; they don't know what the ACT is out of) makes it really frustrating to talk to them about school and life in the US in general. My dad was just like "don't come asking me for tuition" and that's putting it very nicely.

I mean, I do fine in school when I put effort in, but I have my limits, so we'll see how I did in a month.
You'll do fine man. I pretty much bombed the math portion and I still got a good score myself. Just don't stress about it anymore. You already took it, just relax for a month and try not to worry about your score, you can worry when you actually get it, and if it turns out to be a score worth worrying about. :)

Ghazi

It's weird how American teenagers don't drink
I know a lot of American kids who drink.

We just happen to be the ones who don't.

Speaking of teens, I can't remember if HaloGAF had any (that we're open about it, at least) starting from 2010 when I started lurking. No way me and Speedy are the first.

Where's grandpa Ram to tell us some stories of GAF 2004 era?

Chettlar

Banned

You'll do great. A guy who was signing me up for a college course last year said when looking at my ACT that he was looking for scores in the teens and maybe twenties. Since I got things ranging from, I don't even remember, something like 21 - 28 depending on the subject, I got in fairly easy, and it was a technical college. So yeah if you are good at doing things if you put your mind to it like you say, then you're probably going to do great.

I took it twice, but I don't know that I really needed to, since the scores turned out mostly the same.

Speaking of teens, I can't remember if HaloGAF had any (that we're open about it, at least) starting from 2010 when I started lurking. No way me and Speedy are the first.

When I began posting in HaloGAF in 2008 I was 16. Sai-Kun was around the same age.

I know a lot of American kids who drink.

We just happen to be the ones who don't.

I was 18 when I started hanging around HaloGAF in 2010. Guess that still counts as 'teen'.

I'm Euro-trash, though, so I was getting drunk.

I'll be 22 on Monday wooooooo

I'll be 22 on Thursday noooooooo

Ghazi

When I began posting in HaloGAF in 2008 I was 16. Sai-Kun was around the same age.
Nice, I was thinking Sai was, back when he had joined, but wasn't sure.

Man, I wish I had been around here back in the day, Halo 2/3 era HGAF must have been rad as hell.

iPhone autocorrect/keyboard is literally the worst.

Mistel

Banned
It's weird how American teenagers don't drink
What make you think I'm American? In my country I can drink in a couple of months, the only stuff I've had is Guinness, Heineken and some iffy white wine. I get tipsy in like a pint i'm a complete light weight.

Oh so that's what salt is for thanks Urk :).

I don't know a single person that waited till they were 18 to drink.

Is it 21 to drink all over America?

Many Americans play sports through high school, and schools have very strict systems in place that if you get caught drinking while in high school you lose lots of eligibility toward playing your sport.

Its how my senior lacrosse team lost 2/3 captains for over half the season(I was the other captain) and as a result we had a terrible year. My sister missed almost her entire junior year because of a picture on facebook of her holding a beer can at a party. And it's not just sports. My high school lost like 10-15 people from their orchestra for the all-state competition because there were pictures on FB of them at a party. Add in suspensions, detentions, public service work and all the other stuff that comes with getting a minor, along with the general stigma from lots of places that if you drink alcohol under the age of 21 you get heavy brain damage, and you end up with many American teens(at least from my experience) not drinking alcohol until after they graduate, at least.

It's shit like that, that either makes a large chunk of Americans either A) Not drink until they are in college(18+) or B) force them to sneak around like they're smuggling children for those pervs in Taken.

It results in lots of teens suddenly getting their hands on alcohol when they're off to college and as a result they get really, really drunk because they don't know their limits. To the point of people actually getting hurt from it.

It's shit like that, that either makes a large chunk of Americans either A) Not drink until they are in college(18+) or B) force them to sneak around like they're smuggling children for those pervs in Taken.
When I was in Philly last weekend I had my first glass of alcohol (strawberry something or other) – as in first glass ever. I didn't like it. I don't like alcohol.

What make you think I'm American? In my country I can drink in a couple of months, the only stuff I've had is Guinness, Heineken and some iffy white wine. I get tipsy in like a pint i'm a complete light weight.

Oh so that's what salt is for thanks Urk :).
Don't drink, it makes you a bad Halo player.

Aww man, I have to quit drinking.

belushy

Banned
I turned 20 in December. I've only been "drunk" once before. Drinking isn't really on my to-do list. I feel like I'd over do it quite a bit and end up hurting someone or myself.

Sai-kun

Banned
I'll be 22 on Monday wooooooo

Early happy birthday! <3 :D I'm gonna be 23 in May.

I joined like 3 days before H3 launched expecting to be able to post right away. Man was I wrong :lol Didn't get activated til like January of 2008! Crazy that I've been here for so long.

Now I feel old.

RIP bb <3

Nice, I was thinking Sai was, back when he had joined, but wasn't sure.

Man, I wish I had been around here back in the day, Halo 2/3 era HGAF must have been rad as hell.

H3-era was fun as hell. Didn't really get to know people until the Reach era but it was still fun to have a solid group of people to play with at any given time.

my note on eazyb's list still stands

edit: I started drinking when I was 19 or so. Getting a hold of alcohol was a pain though so I never went out of my way to get it, and only drank at parties.

Nowadays the booze flows freely throughout my apartment.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I turned 20 in December. I've only been "drunk" once before. Drinking isn't really on my to-do list. I feel like I'd over do it quite a bit and end up hurting someone or myself.
I'm 29 and I usually don't enjoy drinking. I'd much rather drink some coffee and smoke some weed.

Ghazi

edit: I started drinking when I was 19 or so. Getting a hold of alcohol was a pain though so I never went out of my way to get it, and only drank at parties.

Nowadays the booze flows freely throughout my apartment.
Wait, wait, don't tell me: booze baths?

lol wtf that concept is so weird.

Spartan3PC

Since it seems to be happy hour here I've got to ask, do I get some sort of commemorative achievement for being the only Irishman on Gaf who's never gotten drunk?

Yeah, my score went up by 5 between my first and third times, so it's definitely worth it to take it multiple times if you can. Where I went to school anyway, a huge slew of the in-state scholarships were almost completely dependent on High School GPA + ACT Score, and you could get out of classes based on your ACT score alone (especially math).

My Halo skills improve an insane amount when I've at least gotten a bit tipsy. But if I get too drunk it all just goes back to normal :(
Yeah, I think this is a really common phenomena. I think it happens when you have enough alcohol to get your high level choke-prone brain functions out of the way but not enough to damage your lower-level brain stuff like reaction time. My mom of all people is a firm believer in the concept, anyway.
Drinking helps make Halo fun, imo.

Especially when I'm playing with Eugn/Exwife because it helps me ignore how bad I am compared to them.
Man, you were fine. It was just those last couple games where the connections were abysmal. Gotta love playing through oceans, especially pacific ones.

Mistel

Banned
How? My Halo skills go down to something like -9000... I can't even hold the controller correctly.
How drunk were you when we played then? :p I can't drink barely anything before I get sleepy and doze off like a pint maximum for me. If I played drunk I'd doze off halfway through a match.

I'm playing legendary slayer with Funk I've go no idea what these maps are :(.

Crazy hearing this stuff about Americans drinking. Or not drinking I guess.

Here in Dublin we started drinking around 13 14. That's just a few beers of some spirits, where you start learning your limits. As far as I know it's the same in the UK.

Kittens knows the deal though. Getting high as shot and playing games is great. My gears3 k/d is higher from smoking allotta weed.

21 is stupid though, 18 makes so much more sense to start drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom