• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the way she did it moreso than just her appearance. Her posture, her glaring eyes, everything about those moments felt too emotional, whether it was sexual or not. I guess the bigger issue was the play on the emotional aspect of it.

I just disagree with the way they portrayed her. It felt unnecessary in a game like Halo when other routes should've been taken with the Campaign (ie: The Arbiter!).

I'm fine with the emotion, she's dying and saying goodbye to her only friend.

Ozzy, do you hug it out with your sister in a skin-tight bodysuit often? I think they should have put some more layers on her for a scene like that, or something to desexualize it a little more, but that's just me.

Tawpgun

Umm holy shit why did no one tell me everyone on Halo 4 is bad now?

First time playing in over a month and I went 30 and 9 and then 43 and 5

Fuchsdh

I'm fine with the emotion, she's dying and saying goodbye to her only friend.

Ozzy, do you hug it out with your sister in a skin-tight bodysuit often? I think they should have put some more layers on her for a scene like that, or something to desexualize it a little more, but that's just me.

The problems with Halo 4 were twofold, in a general sense; one, they didn't say enough in regards to the Didact's motives in the game.

The second is that less is more, and a lot of scenes would have played out much nicer had they straight-up cut some dialogue. Cody Miller at HBO posted an edited cutscene from the end of Midnight where they lose Chief's "she told me that once" line to himself, and the scene plays so much better and has a greater sense of subtlety. Cortana stroking the Chief isn't really weird if you know the backstory, and it's not really played that sexually... except Cortana says "I've always wanted to do that", and it pushes it over the edge into weird and creepy for me. A line here and there would have made an inordinate amount of impact on improving the style of Halo 4's storytelling.

(And yeah I think toning down Cortana would have been a smarter move... I'm sure Lorraine McClees who originally designed her was probably pissed with Bungie for inflating her in subsequent games, and she has a point. I also think her more solid representation in 3 and 4 made her "feel" more naked and sexualized than in a game like Halo 2 where she was far more transparent.)

Fotos

H4 Cortana looks like she's on the verge of breaking into tears, constantly.

Just the way I like 'em.

A1Ltm7L.gif

Mix

Off-topic but hnnnnnnnggggggggggg at that Godzilla trailer!

sorry this is a bit late, but was the Bryan fucking Cranston in that trailer? You cannot tell me that Walter White is in fucking Godzilla.

Also, Kittens: OoT is dad, I don't get why people love it so much. I thought I was the only one like this
I love you

zzzZZzzzzzelda.

I love what you've done with your hair.

Thnx Biggy, I only have to wake up six hours early to tease it out to the right volume

The problems with Halo 4 were twofold, in a general sense; one, they didn't say enough in regards to the Didact's motives in the game.

The second is that less is more, and a lot of scenes would have played out much nicer had they straight-up cut some dialogue. Cody Miller at HBO posted an edited cutscene from the end of Midnight where they lose Chief's "she told me that once" line to himself, and the scene plays so much better and has a greater sense of subtlety. Cortana stroking the Chief isn't really weird if you know the backstory, and it's not really played that sexually... except Cortana says "I've always wanted to do that", and it pushes it over the edge into weird and creepy for me. A line here and there would have made an inordinate amount of impact on improving the style of Halo 4's storytelling.

(And yeah I think toning down Cortana would have been a smarter move... I'm sure Lorraine McClees who originally designed her was probably pissed with Bungie for inflating her in subsequent games, and she has a point. I also think her more solid representation in 3 and 4 made her "feel" more naked and sexualized than in a game like Halo 2 where she was far more transparent.)

I agree, subtlety was not the watchword in the writer's room. Things were just too obvious in the wrong places. I just re-watched the SPops ending and jeez, talk about a dialog hammer; "The UNSC just tried to execute me... I want REVENGE!"

Fuchsdh

Thnx Biggy, I only have to wake up six hours early to tease it out to the right volume

I agree, subtlety was not the watchword in the writer's room. Things were just too obvious in the wrong places. I just re-watched the SPops ending and jeez, talk about a dialog hammer; "The UNSC just tried to execute me... I want REVENGE!"

If you hear Brian Reed talk about the ending I completely understand his intent with ambiguity to what that means, but it's sort of a forest-for-the-trees thing. It's like how they put so much effort into the New Alexandria cinematic where Kat is momentarily blinded by the flash she misses the elevator control; yet the subsequent "the needle rifle can penetrate shields when we want them to" kill shot on Kat is completely glossed over.

Fans will pick at stuff, sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly, but it's going to get noticed. You have to make every word work for you or it's going to hurt you in the long run.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
did you get in?! i played a ton last night.

anyone else here have it? would like playing with folks i know.

Yea, just got it a few hours ago. Just finished those intro missions and then got shit on in two ranked matches. I'm gonna have to unlock all the decks first.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Gui, will you be mad if I use a Milhouse avatar?

I'd ask TheOddOne, too, but we all know he mad today.

Nebula

I want to go back in time and tell the 14 year old me that Halo 4 is going to suck and see how I react. Random thought i had while on the bus.

Woohoo, got Borderlands 2 for free on PS+. To those that have played it, how does the shooting mechanics compare with the Halo games? Besides Unreal and maybe Bioshock, Halo is/was the only FPS I ever played regularly.

...and the Razer Sabertooth is worth every penny. What an excellent controller.

Woohoo, got Borderlands 2 for free on PS+. To those that have played it, how does the shooting mechanics compare with the Halo games? Besides Unreal and maybe Bioshock, Halo is/was the only FPS I ever played regularly.

Controls are similar to Call of Duty, and so is the shooting. Killing enemies take much longer though.

Fuchsdh

Lots of ADS, weapons individually don't really have the same heft. Probably a little slow-feeling than Halo considering the scale of environments. Quite fun though in coop.

Havok

Depends on the gun. You'll occasionally get a weapon that feels really consistent, but most of them will feel like garbage. Procedural loot is such a terrible idea for an action game, every good weapon you find is devalued so much by the horde of completely useless trash loot you'll wade through to get to it.

Borderlands 2 has some good combat improvements over the original, but at its core (especially in the mid- and late-game, and then in all subsequent playthroughs) it's very much a Hold Trigger Watch Health Bar Deplete experience, and your enjoyment level will probably depend on how much you like getting marginally better loot every once in a while and if you have the OCD MMO quest lust that drives those games.

Having said that...I've played through both of those games upwards of four times each, so it must be doing something right.

Tawpgun

I'm going to play some this weekend so if you're still down then, I'll be available.

Definitely.

They made some pretty good improvements to the game. Team Slayer playlist is good now. I just need more people to vote legendary. Even regular TS isn't bad because it basically turns the game into a better Reach.

Only issues are the maps. Legendary on Abandon is like classic Halo on a terrible map.

Definitely.

They made some pretty good improvements to the game. Team Slayer playlist is good now. I just need more people to vote legendary. Even regular TS isn't bad because it basically turns the game into a better Reach.

Only issues are the maps. Legendary on Abandon is like classic Halo on a terrible map.

Abandon is so damn bad

IHaveIce

Banned
I disagree, complex can be an engaging experience, espe...

Nope, can't do it, it's also terrible.
You can say that about almost every Halo 4 map except Haven and The Pit though.

Maps that are good by design are fucked through weapon placements or gamemechanics, especially ragnarok

Forget about Halo and COD mechanics, all gameplay is based around elemental damage.

Electric destroys blue shields
Corrosive destroy yellow shields
Fire destroy organic health
Slag double the damage
Explosive fuck your shields

No ADS required, no spray required just play the way you want while you have the elemental damage required to beat that area.

IHaveIce

Banned
Forget about Halo and COD mechanics, all gameplay is based around elemental damage.

Electric destroys blue shields
Corrosive destroy yellow shields
Fire destroy organic health
Slag double the damage
Explosive fuck your shields

No ADS required, no spray required just play the way you want while you have the elemental damage required to beat that area.

Yep and for higher level playthroughs... Slag everything, god you will need slag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom