• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't fire anyone, just hire modders and give them access to more tools :)

Hell, I'd do it for free if they updated Megalo more reguraly, I'm still mad they broke Invasion's bro spawning :(

Anyway, anyone has any idea about an invasion-like gametype they'd like to see in the future? maybe I could cook something similar.

A 100% port is impossible so we might as well give it a different approach.

Just get rid of movement modifiers. Part of the "feeling" of Halo is being able to fire at all times.

Let Destiny be the crazy action shooter. Let Call of Duty be the ADS twitch shooter. Be yourself.

Be Halo.

Chettlar

Banned
Hell, I'd do it for free if they updated Megalo more reguraly, I'm still mad they broke Invasion's bro spawning :(

Anyway, anyone has any idea about an invasion-like gametype they'd like to see in the future? maybe I could cook something similar.

A 100% port is impossible so we might as well give it a different approach.

You couldn't possibly work in some bots, could you? Something like a firefight mode?

I don't know what all you can do with what they give you.

FyreWulff

You couldn't possibly work in some bots, could you? Something like a firefight mode?

In Reach/Halo 4 scripting? No, the AI is not networkable and the assets don't exist in multiplayer maps for the AI anyway, which is the only place Megalo runs.

Karl2177

This is getting tiring. Somebody explain why the below is shit:

Oh because it's long. Right. Got it.

See it's easy to say my posts are shit, but it's another to explain how, or how I'm worse than a lot of other people.

Yes, I do know that's impossible. When I know something, I say it. When I don't know something, I asked. I asked Karl because it appeared he knew something I didn't. Unfortunately, I know that to be absolutely wrong. Those things are not related.

As you can see by the below post, karl doesn't even know what he's talking about and admitted it. It's just something he came up with to explain it. Do you understand what he's saying?

CEA has two concurrently running graphics versions: old graphics and new graphics. There are no other versions of the game running.

Ok, so now, 3D works like this: the image you are seeing splits in some sort of capacity. Different 3D methods split closer and further apart, but overall to put it in simple terms, it simply splits the image.

Ok, so in CEA, we have old graphics and new graphics. When I am playing the new graphics and turn 3D on, what happens? It takes the image and splits it. THE ONLY THING it takes and splits is in fact the new graphics. If I make a 3D image in photoshop, it simply takes the image I am seeing normally, duplicates it, and then overlays one on top of the other, with some divergence so that when you see them, and your brain puts it back together again, it looks three dimensional. Throughout the whole process, it is only using one image to do that.

This is why the old graphics have nothing to do with 3D. The game is taking an image from the screen and duplicating it (which is why 30 fps at 3D is essentially the same as 60 fps with no 3D). The old graphics never come into play here. The game simply takes what is appearing on screen (and remember only one version is onscreen at a time) and duplicates it.

Thus CEA is no different than any game using 3D. I mean think about it, if it was literally using both versions of the game, then one eye would be seeing new graphics and one would be seeing old! That's ridiculous. It's just not how it works.

I'm not asking how 3D works because I know how 3D works. I'm simply asking the logistics of how it would work from a business standpoint because I want to learn. Karl's reason was false as I have just explained, so thus it doesn't answer my question.

Why are people acting like I'm stupid? If you're going to tell me I'm stupid, then please prove it. I know the above explanation to be correct.

No. That's not how it works. :/ Read the above.
Your reading comprehension skills need some work. Where did I say that 3D was using the new and the old simultaneously? Let's go through my post again.

Okay, I said I wasn't sure of the specifics of it, but here goes my shot in the dark attempt at explaining how it works. This probably isn't right, but it's at the very least an educated guess. In the default state, CEA is running old and new graphics at the same time.
We can all agree that the game's graphical modes are running simultaneously.[1]

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but in 3D you can only run the new graphics.
I now know I am correct here.[2]

Well, the game is still running twice at the same time, but I'd assume both instances are running the new graphics. If you overlay and offset them and send that signal, it's now possible for the TV to decode it as 3D.
Although it's not the full game running twice, it is the rendering that is running twice. This is the important part. I want you to read the underlined multiple times and then tell me where in my post I said that 3D is using the old graphics. After doing a bit more research, this game's 3D is inherently different because of the double rendering system.[3]

Annotated sources:
[1] http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/10/halo-anniversary-to-run-two-engines-side-by-side/ "Halo Anniversary will allow players to switch back and forth between classic and updated graphics in real time, because the game is essentially running two engines simultaneously." ... "To achieve this, 343 have the game’s original engine powering the gameplay, with a second one, created in collaboration with Saber Interactive, running on top to make everything beautiful."

[2] http://hothardware.com/News/Microsoft-Bringing-3D-Mode-To-Halo-Combat-Evolved-Anniversary/ "Sadly, that 3D experience won't be available when playing co-op, splitscreen or by using the original graphics engine, but those who don't mind the caveats can get their pre-order in soon."

[3] http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134914/making_halo_anniversary_work.php?page=2 "One of the other benefits that we get from the mode of rendering that we have, and actually from the way that Halo 3 works, is that we can support 3D. The way that the two buffers work is that we get that -- not quite for free, I mean, I know a lot of engineers would be super mad if I said that -- but it's effectively a freebie, given the way that we render." ... "Actually, we have a very cool discreet tuning that we can do on the 3D, even in-game. You can make some pretty sweet adjustments with the 3D, and it's one of those things where if it hadn't been effectively a freebie, I don't think it's something that we'd put as much time and effort into.

Given the percentage of people who aren't going to have 3D TVs, it's not something that you want to sacrifice a level for or, a new 3DSmax build of the Warthog for."

Here are the important points on what we know:
  • The game is rendering twice at the same time.
  • 3D mode only has new graphics.
  • Frank describes 3D as an effective freebie based on how the game is being rendered.

We know that the game is effectively running twice at the same time with two different graphics settings in the default state. We also know that the old graphics aren't available in the 3D mode. This is where my assumptions are, because there aren't any publicly available specifications on it. So my assumption is that the game takes the instance running the old graphics and changes it to the new graphics. The phrase 'Without pissing off some engineers' makes me assume that the game is doing something else to get the second camera. It could be like what Kev described, where it takes the splitscreen camera and uses it. It could also be that it offsets the second render and uses that.

Anyways, I'm done responding to this here. My PM box is open and I'll respond to stuff there.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sprint is terrible for Halo and should have never been implemented. It impacts both combat and level design in negative ways. Thruster Pack 2.0 or plain old good movement speed for Halo 5, please.

As Fyre said it's not possible, most I could do is create copies of your spartan biped, basically clones of yourself without any AI.

Seriously, 343 PLEASE FIX INVASION BRO SPAWNING IN H4/H5.

Chettlar

Banned
Your reading comprehension skills need some work. Where did I say that 3D was using the new and the old simultaneously? Let's go through my post again.

Thanks for the response. I really did read that wrong; I apologize. Thank you for the response anyway though. I appreciate it.

I think the "freebie" part was the stuff I didn't know about, and is the answer I was looking for. I still have a few questions, but I won't be asking them just now.

I'm actually going to be taking a break from GAF for a while.
That's right. Everybody celebrate. No more of my shitting up the thread. :/
Last time I did that on a forum and came back, it really helped with my posting quality, plus there's a few other personal reasons I really need to take some time away from here for. I'll be back...sometime. Maybe a month or so. Maybe when I'm a full member or something like that.

Idk, if I do get really curious about it, I may PM you, but I won't be posting on HaloGAF.

As Fyre said it's not possible, most I could do is create copies of your spartan biped, basically clones of yourself without any AI.

Seriously, 343 PLEASE FIX INVASION BRO SPAWNING IN H4/H5.

Hm. That would be awesome if 343 gave you access to stuff like AI, even if you had to create it yourself. You do some great work there.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sprint is terrible for Halo and should have never been implemented. It impacts both combat and level design in negative ways. Thruster Pack 2.0 or plain old good movement speed for Halo 5, please.

fp9rpf.gif

Caayn

Get rid of both Sprint, Thruster pack and every other AA/perk. I don't see why we should give thruster pack a special treatment while we're shitting on sprint.

I would say this much. From other series that have been "ruined" and fans asking for return, the sequel of that still didn't deliver. Although some tried a bit but not all the way. So if the next Halo delivers to the fans that will be a first. Small things that 343 tried to do post Halo 4 like weapon spawns where they can is a bit promising but we will have to wait and see.

Ghazi

EWmof.gif
Here's a good idea, why don't spartan's have nothing?!!!!
p0QHO.gif

They just spawn with fists and either have to pick up guns or do fistacuffs.

Get rid of both Sprint, Thruster pack and every other AA/perk. I don't see why we should give thruster pack a special treatment while we're shitting on sprint.

I seriously can't believe you people want "Thruster Pack 2.0" to be default on every spartan. Nothing about the idea is good
I get that TP rewards the user when in a bad spot instead of giving the reward to the opposing player(s) out gunning the user. But that doesn't always happen though ever since it got nerfed after the closed beta.

But that, imo, is a better choice and a lesser evil than Default Sprint.

I haven't seen any constructive pros and cons for a default TP or another alternative besides sprint other than scrapping everything and leave it to nothing. Which I have no problems with btw.

I get that TP rewards the user when in a bad spot instead of giving the reward to the opposing player(s) out gunning the user. But that doesn't always happen though ever since it got nerfed after the closed beta.

But that, imo, is a better choice and a lesser evil than Default Sprint.

I haven't seen any constructive pros and cons for a default TP or another alternative besides sprint other than scrapping everything and leave it to nothing. Which I have no problems with btw.

I prefer if none were in but if thrust was in it should be a powerup that you pick up.

Nebula

The frequency of Thruster pack getting you out of shit is a small percentage compared to Sprint. Also TP allows you to mess with the physics of certain actions which is always fun.

Mistel

Banned
The frequency of Thruster pack getting you out of shit is a small percentage compared to Sprint. Also TP allows you to mess with the physics of certain actions which is always fun.
TP is far less game breaking than most of the other armor abilities, (Is the hard light shield less game breaking?) It is also fairer to use unlike sprint which is just really a free escape card for combat :/.

Nebula

HardLight Shield pauses combat which just sucks. Not many use it though which is why it's not cropped up anywhere near as much as Armour Lock did.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
One of the major issues with sprint is that it can only be used while going forward. So, someone losing an encounter might sprint away, but to do so they'd have to stop firing and turn around. The person winning the encounter then has the choice to keep firing and try to kill their opponent before they find cover, or chase them and hope to get a good line of sight before the opponent's shields recharge. We've all experienced this a thousand times, to the point of it seeming normal and just how things are.

Okay, anyways. With an enhanced thruster pack, players can give themselves a little boost in any direction they want. Being multidirectional, it would compliment normal movement habits. It's a wild card that's still semi predictable. Players always have it, but their opponents don't know when they'll use it.

I dunno, I'm having a hard time explaining why I think this sounds cool. I like the idea because part of me loves sprint, especially in Halo 4. Sprinting is fun and exciting, and gives a great sense of agility. But the impact it has on the core gameplay of Halo just isn't worth it. So, if something interesting but more in-line with Halo could replace it, it'd feel like the best of both worlds.

Karl2177

Multiplayer has been an important staple in every Halo title. Things could be very different if CE’s multiplayer had been cut in the weeks leading up to its gold release. Instead the players got modes that were ultimately the thing that kept Halo strong for years. Like the first article, this will provide a summary of the features, improvements to them, and a basic way of achieving said improvements.

[Full article]

Akai__

Nice article Karl. I like the veto-system, you are describing, the most.

Games like SC2, already have a map veto-system and that's something, that I wanted to see in Halo, since Halo 3.

IHaveIce

Banned

Multiplayer has been an important staple in every Halo title. Things could be very different if CE’s multiplayer had been cut in the weeks leading up to its gold release. Instead the players got modes that were ultimately the thing that kept Halo strong for years. Like the first article, this will provide a summary of the features, improvements to them, and a basic way of achieving said improvements.

[Full article]

Good article once again, and I agree with Akai/Croatia I really like your idea of a veto system.

Mistel

Banned
I do like the priority system you suggested, that idea for map optimization to game types is great as well that's definitely something I would love being adopted.
HardLight Shield pauses combat which just sucks. Not many use it though which is why it's not cropped up anywhere near as much as Armour Lock did.
At least it isn't as OP as armor lock(does it stop vehicles then or just all damage from the front) but no armor abilities should exist in a halo matchmaking environment.

belushy

Banned
Gabo, you can make a gametype with no sprint and default thruster, can't you? Tell us how it plays. :)

edit: By the way, Gabo, is there any way to set it to were using your thruster takes away part of your shield? Pretty much your shield (and another cooldown) dictates how much you can dash in each direction.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hope someone remakes Protect Obama on White House from Halo 3.
This confused me, but then I slowly realized that Halo 3 was only a year old when Obama was elected. Damn. Halo 3 feels older than it actually is sometimes.

Gabo, you can make a gametype with no sprint and default thruster, can't you? Tell us how it plays. :)
I tried doing that like nine months ago, but the custom game options are so infuriatingly limited in Halo 4. I can't remember what stopped me from making it happen, but there was something. Use your magic haxxing powers, Gabo.

Defect

I can see it now.

"Since TP was the most used AA in Halo 4, we are making it default across the board along with Sprint so now you guys can mix it up a bit more with other innovative AA's."

edit: By the way, Gabo, is there any way to set it to were using your thruster takes away part of your shield? Pretty much your shield (and another cooldown) dictates how much you can dash in each direction.

I can check what what AA the player is carrying but not if it's being used.

I tried doing that like nine months ago, but the custom game options are so infuriatingly limited in Halo 4. I can't remember what stopped me from making it happen, but there was something. Use your magic haxxing powers, Gabo.

I'll have something ready soon, it shouldn't be too difficult for me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I can see it now.

"Since TP was the most used AA in Halo 4, we are making it default across the board along with Sprint so now you guys can mix it up a bit more with other innovative AA's."
"Sprint is activated by clicking the right stick, thrusting is done by pulling the right trigger, and you can put yourself out of your misery by pushing eject."

I'll have something ready soon, it shouldn't be too difficult for me.
Sweet.

belushy

Banned

Damn, that is unfortunate. Can you set stuff to button clicks(pretty much set it to the button that using the dash and than take shield away from that, or is that out of the question as well?

IHaveIce

Banned
Damn, that is unfortunate. Can you set stuff to button clicks(pretty much set it to the button that using the dash and than take shield away from that, or is that out of the question as well?

I can't speak for Gabo, but I don't think it is possible to add damage to any movement.

Havoc2049

So I've got everyone who contacted me about working on Halo 2, logged, analyzed and reduced to maximum efficiency. (the amount of joy it gave me, is very concerning)

Capture.PNG

Next time, we shall be a well oiled machine... of achievement boosting.

I'm pretty sure in the span of 10 kills, Mixmasterchief can get 13 achievements lol

If some other people also want to get involved, just let me know

Let's do this tonight!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom