• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we trade?

Have JC back in return for Speedy.

RIP homie, brother of Xand.
Eh... I'm sure he'll be allowed to return eventually.

I mean, Dax, Kyle, and I think RandomRosso came back from a perma-ban? Hell, Dax just recently came back from a perma ban, got banned again a month later, and that was only temp. :p

Mods seem to be getting a little more lenient lately.

If the sprinting transition animations were very quick (almost instant), then I wouldn't have that much of an issue with it. Look at how Murder Miners handles:

• Sprinting on small maps (also note the dashes which is like Thrusters)
  • Fast kill times balanced by properly adjusted aim assist settings
  • Pistol AND BR options to spawn with
  • A useful, balanced Assault Rifle
  • CTF with all of this + flag throws
Throw all this shit together and why can't Halo tackle similar issues? People complain about sprint in Halo, but it can be done properly. People complain about fast kill times, but it can be balanced properly. People complain about a 3sk Pistol, but it can be balanced properly. Many people hate the AR (Halo automatics in general), but it can be balanced properly. CTF with flag throws.

Halo can have many of these things granted its built upon a foundation of solid, fast/snappy, consistent and fluid gameplay mechanics.
and fuck it I like sprinting in Halo Reach
Which brings me to another point, I'd have to test default Thrusters for myself because it "breaking the melee system" doesn't seem like it would hold a lot of weight due to the melee lunge. If anything, default Thrusters might even help to balance it, on paper at least. Some examples:

• Enemy charging at you -- Thrust in another direction. How is this a bad thing? If you react fast enough to an incoming melee, why shouldn't you be able to dodge it? Remember crouching under a melee in CE/Halo 2?
  • Melee battle with Thrusters -- 1) This would probably be fun and 2) probably wouldn't happen often anyway. Make it so that you can't melee until after the Thrust animation is finished, so people will have to rely on shooting more than trying to get in with a Thruster. So if anything, this helps the game break out into more shooting than melee combat which is definitely a good thing.
The "golden triangle"
(I've always questioned this saying anyway because Halo combat breaks down into much more than simply those three categories; movement for example is a huge aspect of Halo that is arguably more crucial to gameplay than a melee or grenades, but I'll save that for another argument)
existed since CE, so I'd argue the melee lunge did more to impact the melee part of that triangle than default Thrusters would. If anything, just give us the options to have default Thrusters so we could test it out ourselves in H5's sandbox.

Mistel

Banned
If anyone here plays BL2, the Moxxi DLC is out by the way.
Yay more head hunter stuff, the last one is in April sir hammerlock versus the son of crawmerax. I hope there is a third one with all of the weapons manufactures and maybe some Dahl antagonists.

I miss chief having dialogue like in CE :(, it's a shame he speaks far less in later games.

Yay more head hunter stuff, the last one is in April sir hammerlock versus the son of crawmerax. I hope there is a third one with all of the weapons manufactures and maybe some Dahl antagonists.

I miss chief having dialogue like in CE :(, it's a shame he speaks far less in later games.

Huh? He speaks more than ever in Halo 4.

Fuchsdh

There was more exposition in that cutscene than the rest of the Halo series combined

Number one reason why there will always continue to be stupid player characters: someone has to be plausibly dumb enough so that the smart characters need to explain important concepts to the player.

Yeah he definitely speaks more in Halo 4, on balance for the better. (Although why they didn't cut that redundant "She said that to me once" line boggles my mind. We all remember, she said it two hours ago, you don't need to scribble a dark underline under it. Subtlety!)

Eh... I'm sure he'll be allowed to return eventually.

I mean, Dax, Kyle, and I think RandomRosso came back from a perma-ban? Hell, Dax just recently came back from a perma ban, got banned again a month later, and that was only temp. :p

Mods seem to be getting a little more lenient lately.

...um...er...is there a reason you're paying that much attention to my GAF activities?

That 360 version might as well be called The Gobots Edition. In fact, 360 players should get Gobots dropped to them instead of Titans.
I will kill ALL your asses on this:
scooter_gobots_cartoozdrg1.jpg

...um...er...is there a reason you're paying that much attention to my GAF activities?
Really?

More like I followed you on Twitter for a while (like I follow everyone on HaloGAF) saw you (and others) talking about your Permaban, and then you were back on GAF while reading a thread. Oh hey, she got unbanned... Who cares.

Then a few months passed and I saw you banned again while reading a thread... And once again reading through a thread later I saw you post. Not paying attention to you or anything, but I noticed just because I stumbled upon it while reading threads. Pretty hard to miss a grey-out named and the word BANNED, on any poster. :p

I love Yoshi <3 Will buy a Wii U when Yoshi's Yarn game is released. :)

Karl2177

That's a great article. I think the only being allowed join back into the same game would promote griefing, wanting the match to end so running at the enemy or suiciding to speed up the loss
Huh. I didn't think of that outcome. My perspective was usually along the line of a disconnect, but I'll think of something else since you bring up a good point. Maybe there isn't a rejoin unless it is a disconnect.

His solution for betrayals is pretty sweet. I'd like to see that in future games.

There was criticism about the betrayee being in a boot menu for too long versus being in-game playing.

Mistel

Banned
Borderlands 2 will be the first game that would get a GOTY version of a GOTY version.
A stuff we didn't release so its in a another all dlc bundle release version? Depends if that happened I might double dip on a second console or if third one is announced I wouldn't mind picking that up.

Yeah he definitely speaks more in Halo 4, on balance for the better. (Although why they didn't cut that redundant "She said that to me once" line boggles my mind. We all remember, she said it two hours ago, you don't need to scribble a dark underline under it. Subtlety!)
Silly me then, I don't remember much of what happened I played the campaign so long ago and I've got little desire to sit through it again. Some subtlety wouldn't hurt either.

Bluepoint is pretty good though.
They did a really good job with the MGS HD collection when they ported it to the 360.

Sabotage now supports vehicles! I have made a lot of progress since the last failed test plus now it's a single gametype instead of two different ones.

Nebula

There was criticism about the betrayee being in a boot menu for too long versus being in-game playing.

It's the best idea I've heard yet. Giving the betrayee a chance to think the boot over and actually decide whether it was on purpose is a great thing. They get a chance to think it over and calm down instead of slamming X because they died to a teammate.

You could also weigh the time spent in these pop ups against the potential loss of a teammate which can result in a longer game.

fanboi

Banned
I haven't played one single Halo game.

I saw it in PC Gamer when it was hyped as fuck when it was coming to PC (before Xbox...)

With that, I just saw the Halo FUD movie... was OK. How much better is it if you have played all games?

Fuchsdh

Wahrer came through.

ignLjHVScaaH4.gif

Lolz.

I think Wahrer is better banned.

With such creative restrictions, he nonetheless produces greater art.

Insofar as betrayal booting, the biggest issue I see with modal dialogues is that they do encourage and demand immediate twitchy responses—I know I've probably kicked someone once or twice not out of malice, but rather that some unwanted dialogue appeared on the screen and I wanted to get it out of the way.

wwm0nkey

AFK problem - After player is inactive for x ammount of time, boot player. After player repeats input for X amount of time, boot player.

This solves the rubber band thing people pull too.

Betrayal problem - This one is a bit tricky since people also try to lure you into betraying them first.

After X amount of damage to team (as a whole) in X period of time boot player. Now this would have to be A LOT of damage and it wouldn't just count kills. So if you have that one asshole who keeps on shooting you to lower your shields, around the 5th time of him doing that you will get the option to boot.

I haven't played one single Halo game.

I saw it in PC Gamer when it was hyped as fuck when it was coming to PC (before Xbox...)

With that, I just saw the Halo FUD movie... was OK. How much better is it if you have played all games?

FUD is extended canon. so it helps get a bead on Lasky as a character who is featured prominently in Halo 4.

Madness

Getting hired still hasn't raised that ceiling at all :p.

My first Mario game super Mario world is about 7 years older than I am.

That means you were born AFTER Super Mario 64 came out as well. Geez, makes me feel old as well. Won't be long now till we have fans here who say Halo CE came out before they were born lol.

I think Wahrer is better banned.

With such creative restrictions, he nonetheless produces greater art.

Insofar as betrayal booting, the biggest issue I see with modal dialogues is that they do encourage and demand immediate twitchy responses—I know I've probably kicked someone once or twice not out of malice, but rather that some unwanted dialogue appeared on the screen and I wanted to get it out of the way.
I love leaving that open for the rest of the game, then doing a countdown from 10 and booting them just before the game ends (friends only).

If it's a randie, I ask them what the shape of Italy is then drop Le BOOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom