• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I voluntarily left 3, and a few hours before I lagged out of a lobby (game had yet to start) while I was with Storm and lagged out of a game shortly after she went off.

I've also never been quit banned on 4 before.

So technically 4, but if they count disconnects as quits in an entirely social game...

Decided to capture some clips instead of wondering what logic sits behind this hour long quit ban in a game suffering population problems.

I'm not trying to be an asshat here but in the last 4 days alone you have 21 DNF games mate. You quit too much or you have connection issues or a combination of both. For your reference I have 1 DNF in the last 4 days.

I'm not trying to be an asshat here but in the last 4 days alone you have 21 DNF games mate. You quit too much or you have connection issues or a combination of both. For your reference I have 1 DNF in the last 4 days.

who fucking cares. its a social game with no reason to STAY in a game. there shouldn't be a penalty for quitting when its their shitty JIP element that causes more harm than good. and your DNF has nothing to do with the situation.

Nebula

4 days and only 21 DNFs? I'm doing better then I thought. Does this mean you agree with an hour long quit ban in a game with nothing keeping me attached to the matches? Oh and with JIP.

Also there's a fair few I finished and it's come up DNF. Not the first time it's done that for me either.

m23

I hate quitters. Ruins the game for everyone else, the team you ditch as well as the opponents who have to search for the remaining members who end up camping.

Why are you attacking me? I was just giving you some stats that the ban system would see from your recent history and mine as a reference for a player that has never received a quit ban in Reach or 4. Halo 3 in later life was ruined by quitters in ranked and social.

Clearly disconnections or quitting is worthy of a temp ban here. Is an hour slap on the wrist the end of your Halo/real life? Seriously empathise with the trail of DNF you leave in your wake...Seems you're playing and quitting Heavies so that is 8 players a side. 15 other players per game are getting fucked for the duration of the game mind you because of your drop outs or quitting. That's 315 players getting affected in 4 days. JiP or no JiP, which is also not guaranteed to occur and can cause host migrations, drop stats for CSR etc.

Clearly you need to stop quitting or fix your connection for the benefit of the greater good in matchmaking. Go ahead misplace your quit ban rage at me, I'm not your inner voice telling you to quit and I'm not your connection dropping you from games.

I haven't had a DNF in like 3 months.

Unsure if a stealth, I don't play any more joke? Anyhow if not a joke you're the sort of player I want in matchmaking, never quit and take a win or loss like a man.

It would be nice to have a surrender option after 2 or more players quit on your team, basically the winners get the win stats and the quitters get loss stats and the surrendered teammates get net effect = 0. At least it would make lopsided games quicker and recycle players back to the matchmaking pools quicker. Could surrender remove the need for JiP?

So how does a beta work for a game that comes out less than a month later (titanfall)?

Just like every other public beta it's a glorified demo.

You should be able to quit all you want, that's why JIP progress exists.

Nebula

Why are you attacking me? I was just giving you some stats that the ban system would see from your recent history and mine as a reference for a player that has never received a quit ban in Reach or 4. Halo 3 in latter life was ruined by quitters in ranked and social.

Clearly disconnections or quitting is worthy of a temp ban here. Is an hour slap on the wrist the end of your Halo/real life? Seriously empathise with the trail of DNF you leave in your wake...Seems you're playing and quitting Heavies so that is 8 players a side. 15 other players per game are getting fucked for the duration of the game mind you because of your drop outs or quitting. That's 315 players getting affected in 4 days. JiP or no JiP, which is also not guaranteed to occur and can cause host migrations, drop stats for CSR etc.

Clearly you need to stop quitting or fix your connection for the benefit of the greater good in matchmaking. Go ahead misplace your quit ban rage at me, I'm not your inner voice telling you to quit and I'm not your connection dropping you from games.

Asking if you agree with the system in place is attacking you now or is that directed at Ragnarok? A lot of games I quit are JIP games if it places me in a game with few teammates or one side is massively ahead.

You also acting as if a social game is incredibly important to the point where I'm affecting all these players in a massively negative way. If JIP did a decent job and filled my spot fast like it's meant to, we wouldn't have an issue.

Also why is me posting about the quit ban on a forum somehow me thinking it's the end of the world? I'm going to pull the Waypoint mod card here but you're seriously immature and it's like you come here to lose some control because of how little you can get away with as a Mod on Waypoint.

Oh and I agree with the surrender idea. If a team drops to half or less the remaining players on that team should be able to vote to end it.

With dedis and player toggles quitting without penalty could be ok but you're not thinking of these issues in the current Halo 4 system:

1. host migrations
2. black screens or interruptions to play (why should other players wait on you, especially a factor of 1 vs. 15)
3. score or spawn or objective issues
4. CSR becoming inaccurate
5. Back out before voting, essentially screwing the system/stats and pools of available players
6. Quitting usually occurs mid way through a game, when it is an apparent a loss and JiP becomes disabled. The non-quitting players get stuck in a lopsided game.
7. No incentive for player to fix a problematic connection issue
8. How do you know the same thresholds that JiP operates under aren't factored in for the quit ban, given some of the above as well?

The facts are abusive behaviours, quitting and deranking got into epidemic proportions throughout previous Halo games and gave rise to features like quit ban, mute ban and JiP. These systems are designed around player behaviours, if you're going to talk about ideals, changing player behaviours at the source is best for all involved. I'll never endorse allowing one player or a party to quit while fucking over magnitudes more players they selfishly don't care about. If dedis and player toggles can deliver a robust enough system to handle quitting without penalty sure but again there are issues with that. Literally a player could quit out of every gametype or map or skill match up they didn't like and therefore lessen the quality of TrueSkill or game experiences for others.

@Nebula, some directed at Ragnarok. Dude has a hard on to associate and trash me with his Waypoint mentality at any chance.

not enough ammo

himZD0M.gif

Nebula

With dedis and player toggles quitting without penalty could be ok but you're not thinking of these issues in the current Halo 4 system:

1. host migrations
2. black screens or interruptions to play (why should other players wait on you, especially a factor of 1 vs. 15)
3. score or spawn or objective issues
4. CSR becoming inaccurate
5. Back out before voting, essentially screwing the system/stats and pools of available players
6. Quitting usually occurs mid way through a game, when it is an apparent a loss and JiP becomes disabled. The non-quitting players get stuck in a lopsided game.
7. No incentive for player to fix a problematic connection issue
8. How do you know the same thresholds that JiP operates under aren't factored in for the quit ban, given some of the above as well?

I try to quit early if I don't feel like playing a map, usually if it's a Mongoose free map. I quit most JIP games because they're already lopsided. I also quit at voting screen if it's a map I don't want to play.

Either way I'm looking to drive a damn Mongoose. I'm not a massive benefit to my team from the start.

Madness

I no longer vote for this reason. So I can back out of shitty maps or gametypes. Only times I quit are games I get JiP'ed into, especially if it's already negative for my side. No point playing then. Almost always I play through to completion. Only because I don't care what happens in game, and don't want to deal with the quitting and then matchmaking again.

I try to quit early if I don't feel like playing a map, usually if it's a Mongoose free map. I quit most JIP games because they're already lopsided. I also quit at voting screen if it's a map I don't want to play.

Either way I'm looking to drive a damn Mongoose. I'm not a massive benefit to my team from the start.

I'm all for players getting more choice, toggles are far more enabling than a quit ban system and would reduce your need to quit in the first place. Again attack the source not deal with the symptom. Hopefully toggles are in and you can toggle on maps/gametypes for your mongoose preferences. I'll be sure to strafe when I see you coming.

I've been after filters or player toggles since Halo 3 was in development. I've been actively posting about them at B.net and Waypoint, long before Bungie sold Halo to MS and long before I was a famous monitor ;).
My kids (family) and my company are my claims to fame thanks.

Wtf a surrender option?

Further babbying of modern shooters

Take the loss like a man. Who cares if your down a player just finish the fucking match. If your any good you will still get kills.

Wtf a surrender option?

Further babbying of modern shooters

Take the loss like a man. Who cares if your down a player just finish the fucking match. If your any good you will still get kills.

This logic is just ignorant in Halo 4. Almost all of my quits are from JIP. Oh, you joined into a flag match against non-idiots and you're already down 3 caps, the other team has map control, weapons, or (god forbid) infinity ctf ordnance? Just finish the match, pussy.

Not to mention the situations when the other team isn't terrible at Halo. If it's not infinity (using slayer this time), you have little to no chance to make an impact.

The way I see it, it's not "my loss" if I wasn't there for half of the game and am fighting a losing battle from the start. This is why we need playlists without JIP. It's fine for gametypes where it might make sense (infinity bullshit), but more "standard Halo" style gametypes just don't work with JIP. This is especially true when Trueskill shits the bed and subs in poor matches just because they're searching. This still happens in playlists with many thousands of players.

Quitting because you're losing is stupid, but quitting because the people who've played most of the match were losing makes plenty of sense. "You'll still get some kills" - how on earth does that even matter? Don't diss folks for trying to make the most of a shitty matchmaking system.

Nebula

Thanks to this quit ban I now have to AFK this game on Vortex. I wanted to quit because the game was red bar and everyone was lagging everywhere but I can't. Now I have to be a useless person taking up a spot someone else could have filled.

The system is flawed. Needs work.

Thanks to this quit ban I now have to AFK this game on Vortex. I wanted to quit because the game was red bar and everyone was lagging everywhere but I can't. Now I have to be a useless person taking up a spot someone else could have filled.

AFK can get you banned from MM as well.

You could just you know.. Camp?
Ha!

This logic is just ignorant in Halo 4. Almost all of my quits are from JIP. Oh, you joined into a flag match against non-idiots and you're already down 3 caps, the other team has map control, weapons, or (god forbid) infinity ctf ordnance? Just finish the match, pussy.

Not to mention the situations when the other team isn't terrible at Halo. If it's not infinity (using slayer this time), you have little to no chance to make an impact.

The way I see it, it's not "my loss" if I wasn't there for half of the game and am fighting a losing battle from the start. This is why we need playlists without JIP. It's fine for gametypes where it might make sense (infinity bullshit), but more "standard Halo" style gametypes just don't work with JIP. This is especially true when Trueskill shits the bed and subs in poor matches just because they're searching. This still happens in playlists with many thousands of players.

Quitting because you're losing is stupid, but quitting because the people who've played most of the match were losing makes plenty of sense. "You'll still get some kills" - how on earth does that even matter? Don't diss folks for trying to make the most of a shitty matchmaking system.
To be clear I agree with you. I was talking bout being in a match from the start and then quitting when you begin losing. Anything jip related is ridiculous and I agree.

I took whoever said about the surrender thing up wrong.

Madness

Like I get why JiP was implemented, but whereas I never really quit before Halo 4, almost all quits now are do to being JiP'ed into one sided games everyone has quit.

To be clear I agree with you. I was talking bout being in a match from the start and then quitting when you begin losing. Anything jip related is ridiculous and I agree.

I took whoever said about the surrender thing up wrong.

'twas Ozzy, of course.

Surrender thing is dumb from a standard game. JIP is a shitty solution to a problem that was inherently tied to a broken ranking system.

Karl2177

What would be a good solution to people quitting?

Curious if anyone has a good solution.
I briefly covered quitting in the latest article.

"If a player quits a ranked game, the player cannot enter matchmaking until the match is over. Alternatively, the player can only join back into the game that they just quit. In Social lists, this isn’t as big of a deal. Social lists could also have a join in progress feature similar to Halo 4’s."

EDIT: Duncan had an article a while back on quitting. http://misriahsolutions.com/articles/quitting-halo/

Omni

Got my double dipped copy of Halo 4 in the mail this afternoon. First time in about 8 months that I've played multiplayer and to my surprise I'm having a fair bit of fun. Even if it is heavies
:lol
. I swear you used to be able to use the thruster pack twice, though. It's bugging me *shrugs*

Anywho. Seeing as my friends list is pretty dead these days, and those that do come online don't play Halo, my GT is "randomrosso93" if anyone wants to add me.

I briefly covered quitting in the latest article.

"If a player quits a ranked game, the player cannot enter matchmaking until the match is over. Alternatively, the player can only join back into the game that they just quit. In Social lists, this isn’t as big of a deal. Social lists could also have a join in progress feature similar to Halo 4’s."

EDIT: Duncan had an article a while back on quitting. http://misriahsolutions.com/articles/quitting-halo/
That's a great article. I think the only being allowed join back into the same game would promote griefing, wanting the match to end so running at the enemy or suiciding to speed up the loss

Nebula

Mongoose kills.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. We get it. Stop posting that shit. It's sad and people are making fun of you. You're part of the problem.

Random attack out of nowhere! You know where the ignore button is bud. No need to insult me.

I'd also like to ask you a question actually, providing you have yet to ignore me.

Do you honestly think I care about people making fun of me over how I play a video game? Like seriously?

Random attack out of nowhere! You know where the ignore button is bud. No need to insult me.

I'd also like to ask you a question actually, providing you have yet to ignore me.

Do you honestly think I care about people making fun of me over how I play a video game? Like seriously?

Put a Mongoose on every map and I'll quit a lot less.

Why quit if you're not going to play? Why not just nip it in the bud and stop going through mm.

Nebula

Why quit if you're not going to play? Why not just nip it in the bud and stop going through mm.

Not going to play? I'm looking to play. Just not certain maps but the gametype doesn't bother me.

I completely understand how I could be annoying a lot of you by openly admitting that I quit games but it's Halo 4. A game basically no one here plays, and if the game had anything else going for it, I wouldn't quit.

For me, the only thing Halo 4 has going for it is the Mongoose. It registers splatters a hell of a lot better than Reach and 3 did (same goes for all vehicles in my experience) and the maps are pretty good for it.

In the end, I dropped £40 on the game and I'm going to get my monies worth. It's selfish but I've finally found a way to play this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom