• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wahrer came through.

ignLjHVScaaH4.gif

Lolz.
Omg Lmao
Bring him back mods!
Archived.

Gabo saving halo

Mistel

Banned
That means you were born AFTER Super Mario 64 came out as well. Geez, makes me feel old as well. Won't be long now till we have fans here who say Halo CE came out before they were born lol.
I was a just over a month old by the NA release date, Imagine when people say reach or 4 was their first halo..

Wahrer came through.

ignLjHVScaaH4.gif

Lolz.
Funny, those puppets look like they could fit in a horror game especially the one with the cat heads around its neck.

I'll finish on this. Devo basically did what Chettlar did. Ignored my post, said what she said before. You guys shit on Chettlar for that. I guess if you don't do it in megapost form it's fine right? Or you need to have some GAF years behind you and be known?

Either way, pretty cool double standards guys.

If anyone here plays BL2, the Moxxi DLC is out by the way.

No you just have to speak the truth about someone playing like a knob. Plenty of other halogaffers took me and others to task about not finishing up flag games and I didn't defend the behavior because I knew it was shit. I looked at your game history, let's not pretend anymore.

ElRenoRaven

No you just have to speak the truth about someone playing like a knob. Plenty of other halogaffers took me and others to task about not finishing up flag games and I didn't defend the behavior because I knew it was shit. I looked at your game history, let's not pretend anymore.

Oh yea I remember that time. It was the whole hold the flag and rack up kills war. I remember that. It almost ripped Halogaf apart.

Oh yea I remember that time. It was the whole hold the flag and rack up kills war. I remember that. It almost ripped Halogaf apart.

Yeah it's messed up. No denying it.

I see someone with the ability to kick ass and his k/d and other stats dropping like a stone because he'd rather just dunebuggy around. Then says "lol sandbox playstyles" though, people did it in previous games.

Newsflash: they were annoying back then too when you're trying to win a game.

FyreWulff

People holding the flag and killgrinding is one of the major reasons objective always ends up with low population. People forget there are humans on the other team and end being the shittiest ambassadors for the gametype. If you have to sit there and get drubbed for 10 minutes, why the fuck would you ever come back?

Same with people trolling by driving around with the mongoose, ever since Halo 3. Yeah, it's funny, if your whole team is doing it and wants to do it. When you're doing it as a random you're just deadweighting your team and giving the other side free kills. Don't even know why you're playing the game at that point if you don't want to actually play it.

Fuchsdh

I see someone with the ability to kick ass and his k/d and other stats dropping like a stone because he'd rather just dunebuggy around. Then says "lol sandbox playstyles" though, people did it in previous games.

the heck is your avatar?

People holding the flag and killgrinding is one of the major reasons objective always ends up with low population. People forget there are humans on the other team and end being the shittiest ambassadors for the gametype. If you have to sit there and get drubbed for 10 minutes, why the fuck would you ever come back?

Same with people trolling by driving around with the mongoose, ever since Halo 3. Yeah, it's funny, if your whole team is doing it and wants to do it. When you're doing it as a random you're just deadweighting your team and giving the other side free kills. Don't even know why you're playing the game at that point if you don't want to actually play it.

I think 343 honestly took it as far as you can to try and encourage people to actually play the game put in front of them, and it still didn't really work. Objective lists are doomed to low pop. If you want an ultimate Halo experience, you've just gotta' LAN.

(Which reminds me--doing a 4v4v4v4 Firefight challenge at an HBO LAN was probably the most fun I've ever had in Halo. Some experiences will never translate to online.)

You got a problem with interracial?

Is someone in that picture non-white? It looks like a zombie is eating someone.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget Swordball Oddbase.

I get where yall are coming from: having crappy team mates is crappy. But I don't fault people for coloring out of the lines and having some stupid fun if that's what they want. If they're in a party of people who want to take the game seriously, then yeah, they should take it seriously. But if they're just playing with randoms, then I don't think it's a big deal. It's obnoxious, yeah, but I enjoy doing it sometimes myself, and I take it for granted as just another part of the online Halo experience.

that picture non-white? It looks like a zombie is eating someone.

>_>

I get where yall are coming from: having crappy team mates is crappy. But I don't fault people for coloring out of the lines and having some stupid fun if that's what they want. If they're in a party of people who want to take the game seriously, then yeah, they should take it seriously. But if they're just playing with randoms, then I don't think it's a big deal. It's obnoxious, yeah, but I enjoy doing it sometimes myself, and I take it for granted as just another part of the online Halo experience.

Eh, the goal is to try to win, don't play the victim when you're called out for whining about how not enough maps have a vehicle for you to dick around in. It's poor form.

If they really want to make bank off Halo they should look into selling official helmets that you can wear. That's some nerdy ass shit even I'd partake in.

Madness

Haven't used the mongoose offensively since Halo 3 Lone Wolves launch week to try and get the achievement, but you have to ask yourself, what's the point of Halo? To win/kill the other person? How is using a mongoose for kills/splatters really any different than people doing a variety of things. It is part of the sandbox. Sure you may end up with a negative k/d, but it's no different than other guys who do things like only use Ghosts to try and get splatters, only use certain weapons. Not everyone plays to try and get 4sk headshots with BR anymore.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't used the mongoose offensively since Halo 3 Lone Wolves launch week to try and get the achievement, but you have to ask yourself, what's the point of Halo? To win/kill the other person? How is using a mongoose for kills/splatters really any different than people doing a variety of things. It is part of the sandbox. Sure you may end up with a negative k/d, but it's no different than other guys who do things like only use Ghosts to try and get splatters, only use certain weapons. Not everyone plays to try and get 4sk headshots with BR anymore.
Right, I've encountered thousands of players with stats worse than Nebula. If he wants to dick around on a Mongoose, I don't really see the issue.

Pretty much describes my Halo objetive experience so far, I hete so much that behavior.

It's in the sandbox to distract, transport, splatter if necessary. If the whole game someone plays in a way knowing full well they're dead weight, they shouldn't be offended when another team mate or someone on the internet tells them they play like a douchebag.

Sai-kun

Banned
Haven't used the mongoose offensively since Halo 3 Lone Wolves launch week to try and get the achievement, but you have to ask yourself, what's the point of Halo? To win/kill the other person?

you literally said it yourself. i mean yeah, winning is the point. obviously the point of the game is to have fun, but who has fun playing with people who actively choose to not contribute and are a detriment to their experience?

no different than other guys who do things like only use Ghosts to try and get splatters, only use certain weapons. Not everyone plays to try and get 4sk headshots with BR anymore.

yes, terrible teammates who ruin the game for other people come in all forms, we know.

DJ Gunner

Who saw this from Quinn's twitter? Sideshow CE red & blue.

BgNynszCYAEq9_b.jpg:large

Want. Want. Want. So getting.

Dat Mark V

Also Hi. First HaloGAF post, been lurking for >6 months. I'm old, definitely was in college when Super Mario 64 was released, my enjoyment of Halo has declined since Halo 3.

Short, sweet, non-chettlar (hopefully)

There is another side to that, our Aussie party will objective hold if basically the whole other team stays in the game. Why? Because in this unfair P2P system we actually got host and would like the game to last longer than 2 mins. The lopsided nature of a full party team on our down under host equals a pretty fast win (for this scenario). We'd like our hosted games to last longer than the time to search for a game. It is sad and it's been this way in 3 or Reach or 4, just the nature of online play, hopefully dedis can help change this.

If the other team starts to quit out en masse or there's like 13 minutes left then we only do it for a little while (not the whole game just to farm kills/stats). We do stupid stuff like victory laps with the flag guy going for side seat beatdowns etc. We're not in it to stat pad or spawn kill as such.

Pretty much describes my Halo objetive experience so far, I hete so much that behavior.
Is that why you're always scoring flags for us? It is selfish to hold the objective I think, but it's pretty hard not to do when the alternative is two minutes of gameplay and five of waiting every match. I really wish there were better incentives to end lopsided matches quickly.

Ghazi

So, I would totally like my homeboy Kazuma Jinnouchi as main composer for Halo 5. Seriously, the guy is in house and seems to know what he's doing. His pieces in Halo 4 were the most memorable, and his original weapon sounds, which I'm sad he changed and wonder why he did it, were amazing as well.

I was listening to some of his music on my way home and (for example) Lasky's Theme totally sounded like it could be in MGS. To my surprise, he actually worked on the MGS soundtrack. Not only was he giving me those badass vibes only MGS-esque music gives me, he also totally nailed the sci-fi feel in his works, unfortunately his music did sound a little generic at times. "117", "Never Forget Midnight Version", "Sacrifice", and "Mantis" were all really good tracks, imo, from the top of my head.

Tell me you wouldn't want this:
kazuma.jpg
working on Halo?

Seriously, he already works there, and totally deserves the step up. I don't care about flashy big names, if the music doesn't turn out well. Make sure the music is mixed with the game right, and Jinnouchi is on lead, and I'm positive it'll come out very well.

Please, please, please, please, please tell me these aren't hundreds of dollars. They look amazing.
Reading this makes me feel so damn old.
You are old... inb4 photoshop of you with grey hair and millions of XBL hours.
Bluepoint is pretty good though.

Yeah, they are, hope it turns out well.

Madness

you literally said it yourself. i mean yeah, winning is the point. obviously the point of the game is to have fun, but who has fun playing with people who actively choose to not contribute and are a detriment to their experience?

yes, terrible teammates who ruin the game for other people come in all forms, we know.

Of course, I'm not saying you have to enjoy playing with someone who will mongoose the entire time. But you can effectively say it about a lot of things. Maybe 25% of the players still playing H4 take it seriously, the rest is loaded with pure shit like people screwing around on jetpacks, etc. Guys who purposely use storm rifle, pulse grenades etc.

Maybe it's because I honestly haven't cared about the results of a match since the Reach days that I no longer mind lol.

FyreWulff

If you're being effective while staying in a ghost, there's no problem with that. The ghost has offensive guns and the boost ability, meaning splattering with it is intended as part of it's anti-infantry abilities. The mongoose is entirely designed to be a transport. Shitty achievement aside, the reason it can splatter is because it can move fast and is heavy. And pretty much requires the target to walk towards you and for you to be moving at top speed to get a splatter.

There is another side to that, our Aussie party will objective hold if basically the whole other team stays in the game. Why? Because in this unfair P2P system we actually got host and would like the game to last longer than 2 mins. The lopsided nature of a full party team on our down under host equals a pretty fast win (for this scenario). We'd like our hosted games to last longer than the time to search for a game. It is sad and it's been this way in 3 or Reach or 4, just the nature of online play, hopefully dedis can help change this.

If the other team starts to quit out en masse or there's like 13 minutes left then we only do it for a little while (not the whole game just to farm kills/stats). We do stupid stuff like victory laps with the flag guy going for side seat beatdowns etc. We're not in it to stat pad or spawn kill as such.

That's not a good excuse. If the game is won, finish it so people can move on. They really should have just made CTF and Bomb two scores to win, so you never can get an insurance point to allow holding to occur. Amongst other possible features to implement.

Mistel

Banned

tumblr_lxnf5a6d7J1qdku5lo1_250.gif

I <3 MK V. The price tag will probably stop me though.

Seriously, he already works there, and totally deserves the step up. I don't care about flashy big names, if the music doesn't turn out well. Make sure the music is mixed with the game right, and Jinnouchi is on lead, and I'm positive it'll come out very well.
I much prefer the work he did in the soundtrack than Davidge did, If you have someone with the talent why not use them to their full potential? I'd rather have someone who actually can make the music fit and suit the game than going for them due to their fame.
#Hire jellycrackers (or is it jelly who make the music?)

Can we keep the new junior? I mean he/she fits in already.

DJ Gunner

I like you all ready! Was your account just approved? Are we gonna have another wave of juniors again so soon?

I was having email issues, apparently. I had signed up last summer. Once I changed email accounts a week or so ago, I was approved that day. So I'm not sure if I was part of a wave or not.

Not 15 years old, halo 2 avy, chett burn in first post on HaloGAF.

Welcome.

Thanks. :)

That's not a good excuse. If the game is won, finish it so people can move on. They really should have just made CTF and Bomb two scores to win, so you never can get an insurance point to allow holding to occur. Amongst other possible features to implement.

I don't like it either but the alternatives are we recycle ourselves to international host (crap games, rubberbanding players, shots that don't count, melees, getting trash talked that's not based on losing by skill or teamwork etc)

OR

waiting in search, which is longer than the games themselves take. After 10+ years of that shit believe me when I say you and your party would also objective hold for a few minutes out of the 10 minutes left when you're up 2v0 or 4v0 etc.

We also used to do the opposite at random before we even start a match e.g. time trials to see how fast we can win. Our record for 3 flag caps on Rat Race in matchmaking is 1 minute 14 seconds. I fully appreciate your comments and the asshat nature of what is being done but the P2P weighted system is not enabling quality lengthy experiences for us.

We also head into customs like 20-30% of our games, we're not full on serious stat padders mate.

Is that why you're always scoring flags for us? It is selfish to hold the objective I think, but it's pretty hard not to do when the alternative is two minutes of gameplay and five of waiting every match. I really wish there were better incentived to end lopsided matches quickly.

Rank/CSR weighting specific to objective e.g. the larger the score gap and/or the longer the time left the more weighting your win/ranks points incur. It's a simple solution that could have been implemented long ago. It also needs to outweigh the stat padding if you objective hold.

Dat Mark V

Also Hi. First HaloGAF post, been lurking for >6 months. I'm old, definitely was in college when Super Mario 64 was released, my enjoyment of Halo has declined since Halo 3.

My god, you'll fit right in.

He is the Chosen One.

Is that why you're always scoring flags for us? It is selfish to hold the objective I think, but it's pretty hard not to do when the alternative is two minutes of gameplay and five of waiting every match. I really wish there were better incentived to end lopsided matches quickly.

Yep, you caught me, I know you are very skilled and all but some matches both sides are too focused to not lose their territory no ones dare to take the flag and its a stalemate.

there is not a real incentive to capture the flag aside from points for the scoreboard that in the end doesnt matter.

Dat Mark V

I like it. Welcome! Perhaps you will be the anti-thesis to Chettrooper.

brace for another junior wave.

So, I would totally like my homeboy Kazuma Jinnouchi as main composer for Halo 5. Seriously, the guy is in house and seems to know what he's doing. His pieces in Halo 4 were the most memorable, and his original weapon sounds, which I'm sad he changed and wonder why he did it, were amazing as well.

Couldn't agree more. Davidge's music kinda fell flat for me. I have no idea why they skipped over someone as talented as Jinnouchi, especially since he's in house.

I much prefer the work he did in the soundtrack than Davidge did, If you have someone with the talent why not use them to their full potential? I'd rather have someone who actually can make the music fit and suit the game than going for them due to their fame.
#Hire jellycrackers (or is it jelly who make the music?)

That's me! I'm about to graduate college and I want a better job than I have now. So I'm totally okay with this hashtag making a comeback.

ultimota

i'm entirely with Fyre on this one,

As an Australian i know what it's like to get a crappy host but that doesn't mean when my party does get host we will objective hold if anything it makes us want to win faster because we can play without the fear of lag.

This may sound bad but i dislike objective holding so much that if i see a team mate doing it i will actually betray them (if they wont listen to me and cap it that is) and put it in.

Yep, you caught me, I know you are very skilled and all but some matches both sides are too focused to not lose their territory no ones dare to take the flag and its stalemate.

It's not so much losing territory, it's just a lot of times it's better to use your life to ensure the cap before you grab the flag instead of daisy-chaining it all the way home. Sure, against most teams, you'll get the cap either way, but it's often preferable to not require a bunch of deaths to do so. Not to mention, the more people alive when you cap, the more likely a double cap can occur and the game can actually end faster and more impressively (if speed is really your goal).

EDIT: Not to sound like a dick, but another reason that stalemate situation occurs is because while most of the team is actually shooting and suppressing the enemy, there's one person that would insist on just sprinting for flag without regard to the rest of the situation. If that player is actually helping the team shoot/kill folks, they can still go for the pull/touch, but the chances of it succeeding are much higher. I remember heckfu would do this sometimes in Reach customs and it always bugged me. Sure, sometimes it works because you get there undetected, but, especially in H4, that advantage is lost the very moment you touch the flag thanks to the flag indicator.

It's not so much losing territory, it's just a lot of times it's better to use your life to ensure the cap before you grab the flag instead of daisy-chaining it all the way home. Sure, against most teams, you'll get the cap either way, but it's often preferable to not require a bunch of deaths to do so. Not to mention, the more people alive when you cap, the more likely a double cap can occur and the game can actually end faster and more impressively (if speed is really your goal).

thats my thinking when i played with you guys. I would get the OBJ while you guys took care of the slaying

Yep, you caught me, I know you are very skilled and all but some matches both sides are too focused to not lose their territory no ones dare to take the flag and its a stalemate.

there is not a real incentive to capture the flag aside from points for the scoreboard that in the end doesnt matter.

They did some interesting objective things in 4 by changing the scoring method e.g. player points system. The flag caps aren't the only thing determining your placing in the match. For example (whatever the actual values are, I don't know by memory):

1. time carrying the flag (+5 every 10 seconds)
2. time in the hill (+5 every 10 seconds)
3. capping a flag (+100)
4. flag defense (+25)
5. flag assist (+15)

You can see they really spent some good time on reworking objective, CTF especially.

i'm entirely with Fyre on this one,

As an Australian i know what it's like to get a crappy host but that doesn't mean when my party does get host we will objective hold if anything it makes us want to win faster because we can play without the fear of lag.

This may sound bad but i dislike objective holding so much that if i see a team mate doing it i will actually betray them (if they wont listen to me and cap it that is) and put it in.

Nice to know, hit up my GT if you feel like playing with us (We only play with Aussies mate). We also play Reach or 3 on Thursday nights too.

As for host and no fear of latency I have to call BS. The proof is a LAN party I held last month and 8 Aussies all on the same network and dedicated xbox's each don't get host 3 games in a row, we just moved to offline customs. Clearly the host selection in P2P with the latest Halo game in the series isn't up to par with it's detection systems. It's bullshit.

Objective holding = dick move.
Being dead weight on your team = dick move.

No justifications necessary. Dick moves are dick moves.

Halo 4 is enough of a clusterfuck without someone purposefully being a dick.

They did some interesting objective things in 4 by changing the scoring method e.g. player points system. The flag caps aren't the only thing determining your placing in the match. For example (whatever the actual values are, I don't know by memory):

1. time carrying the flag (+5 every 10 seconds)
2. time in the hill (+5 every 10 seconds)
3. capping a flag (+100)
4. flag defense (+25)
5. flag assist (+15)

You can see they really spent some good time on reworking objective, CTF especially.

I couldn't give a fig where I place in a CTF game if I can't juggle the flag and it's auto pick up with a waypoint attached. Bad time reworking objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom