• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghazi

3eFzFJc.png

Don't you whipper-snappers make me take pictures of my NES collection, either. Just stay the hell off of my lawn!

I don't try very hard at photoshop

:lol

I couldn't give a fig where I place in a CTF game if I can't juggle the flag and it's auto pick up with a waypoint attached. Bad time reworking objective.

Yeah this is a pain in my ass as well. The fact that you can't drop the flag is one of the worst fucking implementations. Tossing a flag was a strategy in and of itself.

What do you guys think would be an ideal way to stop objective holding / grinding kills?

Honestly. Timed game, most caps at the end of it. Put in some kind of calculation of distance of caps, one team hits 5 over, its done and or time frame, no team caps in a certain amount of time, it ends.

Havok

What do you guys think would be an ideal way to stop objective holding / grinding kills?
Going to the most extreme possible solution, stop showing kills on the carnage report for those gametypes. Not ideal in any sense because kills are a pretty useful metric for players filling that slayer role in stacked teams, but it'd probably be reasonably effective in the general population.

Since a points-based metaprogression is probably here to stay, dramatically increase rewards for finishing games quickly. There are issues there with making people that have a hard-fought game that lasts until the very last second feel as though they were cheated out of points, though. A return of the slot machine mechanic where you increase the odds of really fast games (say, half of the time limit or quicker) getting the jackpot might be a start, since it would give people a goal to have in mind when playing.

Ideally? Have skill matching that even sort of functions. Take the hit on search times and give people games that aren't lopsided 80% of the time.
I couldn't give a fig where I place in a CTF game if I can't juggle the flag and it's auto pick up with a waypoint attached. Bad time reworking objective.
And even if the objective gametypes were tolerable, handing out action-specific rewards to individuals is a dangerous game to play. You're really running the risk, if people give a shit about your progression system, of making players act like selfish jerks and put their own performance ahead of the team's. Those point rewards are more or less a meta-level extension of the vanilla Arena rank philosophy and Halo 4-era challenge design, which are both spectacular failures in promoting team play.

ultimota

Nice to know, hit up my GT if you feel like playing with us (We only play with Aussies mate). We also play Reach or 3 on Thursday nights too.

As for host and no fear of latency I have to call BS. The proof is a LAN party I held last month and 8 Aussies all on the same network and dedicated xbox's each don't get host 3 games in a row, we just moved to offline customs. Clearly the host selection in P2P with the latest Halo game in the series isn't up to par with it's detection systems. It's bullshit.

maybe but i'm pretty sure i came against your group in btb )unless you were just a randy with them) one of them was trash talking me for being pink and having "Halo is everything" in my bio....could be wrong

and i meant when we do pull host we don't have to fear lag so we try to win as fast as possible, the faster we win the better we feel :)

Halo's host selection is pretty bad i have NBN and still can't pull host

DJ Gunner

Honestly. Timed game, most caps at the end of it. Put in some kind of calculation of distance of caps, one team hits 5 over, its done and or time frame, no team caps in a certain amount of time, it ends.

The timed aspect was part of the beauty of 1 flag. What about a multi-flag game with rounds? First team to score wins the round (I know this is how neutral flag works, but I'm not sure I ever saw this with multi). With short rounds in a lopsided game, at least you're not waiting 12-15 minutes for your beating to be over.

The timed aspect was part of the beauty of 1 flag. What about a multi-flag game with rounds? First team to score wins the round (I know this is how neutral flag works, but I'm not sure I ever saw this with multi). With short rounds in a lopsided game, at least you're not waiting 12-15 minutes for your beating to be over.

I'm just not a fan of rounds and continuously restarting from scratch. Might just be me though.

I'm also firmly in the mentality of no waypoint, no auto-pick up and allow dropping. However even with 75%+ of my ranked Halo 3 games in objective I can't ignore the population facts:

1. Halo 3 ranked objective declined, they tried CTF/assault, they tried KOTH and other varieties, they tried thorwback, they tried social and at the end of life objective declined. This is the very settings we all want back. It had great maps, 1-sided, no waypoint etc but the population became non existent. I feel this was more to do with quitting/cheating/host than the gamestypes themselves.

2. Reach objective population also dwindled and they tried new gametypes like headhunter or stockpile etc. You can't even find a game in Reach objective anymore. Again I prefer these settings over 4's but the stats don't lie. Quitting and cheating was upgraded to deal with the issues from 3, not 100% but solid efforts and gains were made in respect to this.

3. Halo 4 CTF specifically was reworked and has returned a mainstream population to CTF. It's still one of the more popular playlists and you can get games in it any time of the day, even when it's only 100-200 players at Aussie night times. You can also get full party matches and have some genuinely competitive experiences from those match ups.

So while I don't personally prefer the waypoint and all that I have to look at the facts over the life of objective since Halo 2, 3, Reach & 4 to realise what the populace will and won't play. Objective magnifies the slayer lopsided outcomes of randoms vs teams even more so, they needed to promote auto-teamwork in the face of this.

Just saying I don't care for these CTF settings is like burying your head in the sand given the history throughout Halo games. It's not being a 343i shill or mod bias, it's being realistic from an overview of the game and I've posted about such things while watching my most loved playlist(s) die horrible deaths since mid-life Halo 3.

maybe but i'm pretty sure i came against your group in btb )unless you were just a randy with them) one of them was trash talking me for being pink and having "Halo is everything" in my bio....could be wrong

and i meant when we do pull host we don't have to fear lag so we try to win as fast as possible, the faster we win the better we feel :)

Halo's host selection is pretty bad i have NBN and still can't pull host

I never play BTB as a randy, not worth it. Almost always a 5+ Aussie party. Yes we trash talk but for shits and giggles mate, nothing malicious. Halo players lost touch with the fun of trash talking so long ago, it all became so butt hurt and serious or just degrading comments etc. Occasionally parties match up and both sides get the fun side of trash talking, that's half of what is missing from the golden days of online, not just the team communication half. Proximity voice has to return with HX1, please.

The fast wins are empty wins as there is no challenge at all. Wow you have NBN fibre with fuck all houses connected as yet (load) on it and still can't pull host, what a joke.

Ghazi

2 Flag is great, 1 Flag is godlike. I love 1 Flag, and while I think some people might disagree, I liked the concept of the flagnum a lot as well. Those are the kinds of things I want to see 343i doing, going forward. While forced pick-up and no-drop were bad, and forced mechanics, the Flagnum felt like a natural evolution of an existing mechanic.

Devo, I agree I wouldn't like starting over again a lot either, but I could see 2 rounds, with 3 caps winning the round, being enjoyable.

Mistel

Banned
Objective holding was the best.
I don't really mind it I mean if its got to the stage in objective game where it's clear that the objective is being held. I don't see anything wrong with killing them for a while, it made reach btb objective games bearable.

FyreWulff

Stop showing k/d stats in objective gametypes..

Once you go up a point, a timer starts. If the other team does not cap it within a certain amount of time, the game ends. The other team can stop the timer if they're holding the flag or near it. Think of like a mid-game sudden death.

OR, somewhat like that idea, the game starts with a short time limit. Each cap extends the clock by 5 minutes, but it's per-team. So the game starts with a 5 minute timer. Blue caps, timer goes to 10. Red caps, timer is still at 10. Blue caps again, timer goes to 15. Blue caps again, that's the game.

Like I said above, set the score to win to two. This will encourage rushing and aggressive play instead of turtling. If you get the quickcap and go up 1, the other team is still one point away from you. If you cap again, you've proven you won, and the game ends. If the other team gets to one, then the next point wins the game. Score to 3 lets you get the psychological benefit of knowing you have an insurance cap, so if you're up 3-0 and the other team caps 1, all you have to do is turtle up since they have 2 more points to go to beat you. Being one cap away from having to tie or lose will keep the teams honest.

In round-based CTF or Bomb, lame duck round detection is needed. I still have no idea why the only gametype to ever get this feature was Grifball, but it would encourage people to play hard knowing they don't have to sit through the other team's victory round if they fail their first offense round and the other team succeeds with their two rounds. Halo 3 didn't have Megalo, but there was a really good update they made to BTB Territories that made it only 2 rounds, so you had to play to win and nobody had to be in the game longer than they needed to.

2 Flag is great, 1 Flag is godlike. I love 1 Flag, and while I think some people might disagree, I liked the concept of the flagnum a lot as well. Those are the kinds of things I want to see 343i doing, going forward. While forced pick-up and no-drop were bad, and forced mechanics, the Flagnum felt like a natural evolution of an existing mechanic.

Devo, I agree I wouldn't like starting over again a lot either, but I could see 2 rounds, with 3 caps winning the round, being enjoyable.

Yeah but then you'd have multiple rounds of this.

My suggestion is good for stalemates, close games and games in which there is a huge discrepancy of skill.

You have a time limit. The teams are close, back and forth action, whomever comes out on top at the end wins. Great for last minute action.

You have a limit on how much the better team can score over the weaker one. This ends the game quicker. You also have a time limit on no cap, they start farming kills, it's over in say 2 minutes.

The time limit on no cap also assures stand offs will end or people will be encouraged to go after the flag lest they get an L.

Havok

I'm just not a fan of rounds and continuously restarting from scratch. Might just be me though.
It only really works for asymmetric gametypes because of the side switching and defense/offense dynamic - you're doing something dramatically different each round, and then using the knowledge from previous rounds to predict enemy team behavior. There isn't really the same push and pull map control aspect that a symmetric objective game has, which really requires a big chunk of time to play out. You cut up a game of 2 Flag Midship and risk losing a big part of what made it interesting with those long term attrition wars.

DJ Gunner: No idea how Neutral Flag works in Halo 4 because I haven't played the game in months, but in its previous incarnation during the Reach objective years, it wasn't round based, the flag just respawned upon capturing.

It only really works for asymmetric gametypes because of the side switching and defense/offense dynamic - you're doing something dramatically different each round, and then using the knowledge from previous rounds to predict enemy team behavior. There isn't really the same push and pull map control aspect that a symmetric objective game has, which really requires a big chunk of time to play out. You cut up a game of 2 Flag Midship and risk losing a big part of what made it interesting with those long term attrition wars.

No idea how Neutral Flag works in Halo 4 because I haven't played the game in months, DJ Gunner, but in its previous incarnation during the Reach objective years, it wasn't round based, the flag just respawned upon capturing.

You lose the back and forth action of scoring and how it leaves a team vulnerable. That's part of the fun.

ultimota

I never play BTB as a randy, not worth it. Almost always a 5+ Aussie party. Yes we trash talk but for shits and giggles mate, nothing malicious. Halo players lost touch with the fun of trash talking so long ago, it all became so butt hurt and serious or just degrading comments etc. Occasionally parties match up and both sides get the fun side of trash talking, that's half of what is missing from the golden days of online, not just the team communication half. Proximity voice has to return with HX1, please.

The fast wins are empty wins as there is no challenge at all. Wow you have NBN fibre with fuck houses connected yet (load) on it and still can't pull host, what a joke.

It wasn't the trash talk that bothered me i love some solid banter it was more the type of trash talk, having my sexuality questioned because of a spartan color and having "halo is everything" in my bio is pretty lame.

it's really frustrating knowing the connection i have and being unable to pull host.

GT is ultimaotaku so if anyone wants to play let me know

nillapuddin

How tall is the figure?

License
HALO
Scale
Premium Format™ Figure
Manufacturer
Sideshow Collectibles
Product Size
25.5" H (647.7mm) x 17" W (431.8mm) x 14" L (355.6mm)*
View Size Chart »
Product Weight
18.00 lbs (8.16 kg)*
Dimensional Weight
59 lbs*
Int'l Dim. Weight
81 lbs*

Ghazi

This was the song I was thinking of earlier, yes this is awesome too!
Yeah but then you'd have multiple rounds of this.

My suggestion is good for stalemates, close games and games in which there is a huge discrepancy of skill.
I agree with everything else that you said, but I meant a whole game with only 2 rounds, with 3 caps to win each round. That way we're not having this constant starting over, but there won't be this helpless feeling when down a good number of flag caps.

But yes, the current format works very well!
inb4 Speedy buys 7, one to put on top of each of his Xbones.

Cow

In the last 2 weeks I've been to 2 LAN parties with friends from school, so much fun. No one wanted to play Halo 4 because of maps, jet packs, sprint and ordnance. We played Halo 3 instead and it was the most fun I've ever had playing Halo, reminded me that you don't need stupid pointless shit like AA's and sprint to make a game fun, those things just make your game generic, boring and annoying to play. Will be moving on from the series if Halo 5 is anything like the last 2 installments.

In the last 2 weeks I've been to 2 LAN parties with friends from school, so much fun. No one wanted to play Halo 4 because of maps, jet packs, sprint and ordnance. We played Halo 3 instead and it was the most fun I've ever had playing Halo, reminded me that you don't need stupid pointless shit like AA's and sprint to make a game fun, those things just make your game generic, boring and annoying to play. Will be moving on from the series if Halo 5 is anything like the last 2 installments.

If I was going to LAN I would deffo pick Halo 3 over 4. LAN removes the netcode problems leaving you with an amazing game.

I really want to go LAN Halo 3 right now.

nillapuddin

$300

I really want to be able to pretend that I am interested in these, but they are just so damn expensive, I couldnt even consider it : /

I really enjoyed McFarlanes when I was younger, my neighbor and I teamed up to get all the MGS2 figures and complete Ray, so good.

Im pretty happy with the stocking stuffer my mom got me for christmas though

DJ Gunner

DJ Gunner: No idea how Neutral Flag works in Halo 4 because I haven't played the game in months, but in its previous incarnation during the Reach objective years, it wasn't round based, the flag just respawned upon capturing.

You're right about Reach. I was remembering wrong. Is there even a neutral flag variant in Halo 4? In any case, the suggestion I threw out was purely in the "what would help prevent griefing" mindset. The time limit and lack of restrictons that allow those attrition wars to develop are the same elements that make griefing possible, unfortunately. And until 343i figures out a way to attract more than a couple thousand max into the playlist, the answer is not going to be in the Matchmaking algorithms. The pool is simply too damn small.

Fuuuck, both the red and blue are now sold out and wait listed for their 100 limited edition runs. Damn they sold fast, oh well hopefully some cancellations will allow me to nab one.

Yes Halo 4 has neutral flag as a vote variant and it's the same as Reach/3 with 5 caps and just respawns in the middle when capped.

daedalius

Heading up the 343 official test team podcast after this, right?

I'd love one of those new figs, but at those prices, I'll have to be content with my play arts kai fig.

Sad to see you go. Perhaps one of the last few pre-Reach members we had who really tried to put some effort into the HaloGAF community.

Confirmation that you're at 343 now lol. Hope you enjoy Washington state.

Wonder what will happen to HaloGAF.com, Duncan is busy with DBO and Destiny. Wonder who will take the "mantle" going forward.

SBD, obv

They did some interesting objective things in 4 by changing the scoring method e.g. player points system. The flag caps aren't the only thing determining your placing in the match. For example (whatever the actual values are, I don't know by memory):

1. time carrying the flag (+5 every 10 seconds)
2. time in the hill (+5 every 10 seconds)
3. capping a flag (+100)
4. flag defense (+25)
5. flag assist (+15)

You can see they really spent some good time on reworking objective, CTF especially.

Yeah but in the end the most kills dude can surpass the flag carrier if the match gets more than 5 mins. Faster victories grants the flag carrier the top place but your own team doesnt like to end the match that fast and kinda lost the fun for them.

I remember Homefront grants the flag carrier more "points" per capture to survive those encounters and spending them for summon vehicles, UAVs or special killstreaks than the defending/attackers, thy less points than a normal TDM kill score so the flag carrier have the upper hand helping the team.

Kinda complex to add that feature in Halo.

Oh its a Sideshow premium figure? lol goodbye chances of getting the blue one.

I'm also firmly in the mentality of no waypoint, no auto-pick up and allow dropping. However even with 75%+ of my ranked Halo 3 games in objective I can't ignore the population facts:

1. Halo 3 ranked objective declined, they tried CTF/assault, they tried KOTH and other varieties, they tried thorwback, they tried social and at the end of life objective declined. This is the very settings we all want back. It had great maps, 1-sided, no waypoint etc but the population became non existent. I feel this was more to do with quitting/cheating/host than the gamestypes themselves.

2. Reach objective population also dwindled and they tried new gametypes like headhunter or stockpile etc. You can't even find a game in Reach objective anymore. Again I prefer these settings over 4's but the stats don't lie. Quitting and cheating was upgraded to deal with the issues from 3, not 100% but solid efforts and gains were made in respect to this.

3. Halo 4 CTF specifically was reworked and has returned a mainstream population to CTF. It's still one of the more popular playlists and you can get games in it any time of the day, even when it's only 100-200 players at Aussie night times. You can also get full party matches and have some genuinely competitive experiences from those match ups.

So while I don't personally prefer the waypoint and all that I have to look at the facts over the life of objective since Halo 2, 3, Reach & 4 to realise what the populace will and won't play. Objective magnifies the slayer lopsided outcomes of randoms vs teams even more so, they needed to promote auto-teamwork in the face of this.

Just saying I don't care for these CTF settings is like burying your head in the sand given the history throughout Halo games. It's not being a 343i shill or mod bias, it's being realistic from an overview of the game and I've posted about such things while watching my most loved playlist(s) die horrible deaths since mid-life Halo 3.

Don't have time to go into it but this is a flawed comparison because:

You're comparing Halo 3's Objective population when it was three years old to Halo 4's honeymoon period prime of the first 12 months. Plus Halo 3 had duplicate ranked/social population splitting. If you combined the populations for ranked/social objective and affiliate obj playlists at any point in the first few months of Halo 3 they'd have probably been higher than Halo 4's total peak population.

Plus Halo 3 didn't have the luxury of a dedicated ctf playlist day one.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thanks for all the love you guys have shown me since finding out about me working at 343 now. It seriously means a lot <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom